Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #226  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Please keep sharing how you've been successful at losing weight, I will. If I find out I'm doing something wrong I'll share it with you (especially if it's related to the plan and not to a person's body type/makeup). I hope everyone continues to share because I've learned so much on this site and can't wait to continue to learn more!
Old 01-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #227  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyG View Post
I could have written both of these post, maybe not so eloquently, but my thoughts mirror yours exactly. I thank you so much for having the courage to address the issue as it has bothered me since I started reading this site a couple months ago. I understand "tough love", and I hope that is what some of this is (at least that is what I keep telling myself), but even though I have been "lucky" enough to have had a very easy transition into this diet/life change, I for the most part fear posting because of saying/doing something wrong or having my posts misunderstood. That happened with my very first post, and I found it extremely upsetting, almost to the point of thinking that maybe this wasn't the right message board for me. In the past something even as simple as a misunderstood post would have sent me to the kitchen in search for anything and everything I could find to eat.

I'm sure there will be a day that for some reason I will deviate from this plan's protocol. Will I share it here? Probably not. I just don't think I would feel comfortable with the "tough love" approach that if I deviate even a little (or a lot) that maybe this life change is not for me. Will I share that with my coach? You betcha! I have come to appreciate her so much and I know that she could work me through it. That's what makes a good coach! Having heard how she handles the clients ahead of me each week I know she would be fair with me. We are all different, what works for some certainly may not work for others.

You know in the last couple of days there has been discussion on "turnips", how to cook them, how not to, and if baking them until crispy brings out the sugar in them. I had never thought about that before and that was the way I'm cooking mine... crispy. I was sharing that with someone this morning and they asked me if I was satisfied with the amount of weight I had lost in my first 3 weigh-ins? Absolutely I am! And their answer was that even if my losses have not been as great as maybe some others on this plan, isn't that all that matters. I had to think about that a little and decided I will continue to make my turnip fries crispy, even if it slows things down a little. Do I appreciate the information and the person who posted it? Yes. But I'm totally happy with the rate that the weight is coming off even if it might be slowed down slightly by crispy turnips so I'm not going to change a thing. I really should I be comparing what I'm doing to what someone who has much more, or less than I have to lose. Each and every one of us is so unique.

So with this post, I too will probably go back into "lurk" mode. Am I sad about that? Yes. I would have liked to have thought I might have been able to help or encourage someone else in some small way. I will continue to listen to "my" coach, and even if the information she gives me is not 100% consistent with what others might say here, how do I know that you or your coach has correct or better information.

I wish all of you great success on your individual journeys with this life change. I know for me it has been nothing short of miraculous in how I feel. My knees, my hips and most importantly my mind have not felt this good in decades. But I refuse to allow negative or tough love postings to bring me down.

Again Giniwarrior, thank you for posting your thoughts. Both have really helped me to work through mine.
Peggy, I posted about the turnips because you're not suppose to cook them until they're crispy and I learned that after doing it for several weeks and then my coach told me it wasn't part of the plan because it brings out the sugar. I wasn't telling anyone to change. I was simply sharing my experience with making the change. Sorry you took my sharing of information so personally. I think you have more going in your life and your venting to this site... be well and please continue to reach out to those who can offer you support. Be well.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomedayBubblySomeday View Post
Great post PeggyG,

Please don't stop sharing with us!!!! You are doing a great job, and hooray for you for deciding to do what is best for yourself. That's one of the lessons we are all trying to learn here. I hope that you continue to come here for support and feel free to PM me for any reason. I am happy to listen and encourage you--I'm not perfect either. Even though I am pretty new to this plan, it has changed my life in many ways and the support I've gotten here has helped so much. Stay positive and keep up the good work!
I, too, would hope that you would stay on the boards. While I do enjoy the 100% thread it is because I am the kind of person who needs a kick in the butt along with my pat on the back. I am motivated by other peoples success and will take that where I can find it. Good luck to you with your journey.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #229  

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Peggy, I posted about the turnips because you're not suppose to cook them until they're crispy and I learned that after doing it for several weeks and then my coach told me it wasn't part of the plan because it brings out the sugar. I wasn't telling anyone to change. I was simply sharing my experience with making the change. Sorry you took my sharing of information so personally. I think you have more going in your life and your venting to this site... be well and please continue to reach out to those who can offer you support. Be well.
Well, lurking didn't last long did it... lol. NO NO NO, I didn't take your post personally. I used it to help show what I was saying about how we are all different. At first I thought... oh my GOSH, I'm cooking them wrong. But I love them so much that way that I am making the "choice" to continue cooking them that way. Is it off program? Possibly. Do I care, frankly no. I'm just not going to worry about it UNLESS I stop losing completely or at a rate I'm not satisfied with. I loved the fact that you shared that info with us/me. But my first thought was I needed to change what I was doing. You didn't tell me to change, that was my thoughts. My friend pointed out to me that if I was completely satisfied with my weight loss I shouldn't have to give up the crispy turnips if I didn't want too. That made an impression on me. I guess what I was trying to point out is that there would probably be some on this site who would think I was wrong in doing so and going off program (I don't for a minute think you are one of them, as I have so enjoyed your posts... enough so that one day last wk I went back and read many of your posts from the beginning because I noticed that your weight right now is where I started from and we are the same height.) I'm sorry that you felt my post was venting. I certainly didn't mean it that way, just wanted to express my observations. I certainly don't feel I have other issues in my life right now, I'm retired, don't have the stress of working and am getting ready to head for Florida for the next several months. As I said, my mind and health are in a better place than they have been in a long time due to this life change. I believe for me that struggling to worry about every word I might post on here and how it might be understood, or misunderstood is not something I care to deal with. Been there done that for many many years during my 33 yr career. I had a boss that wanted to do everything by email and no matter what I said in an email I would get a response from him in great big bright green type telling me how wrong I was. Just not interested in seeing how some peoples posts are responded to. But please, I assure you I didn't mean to cause you concern by using your post to point out how we all can do some things differently but still be satisfied with the outcome. New Englander, you and I are just fine!

Now I don't have time to read or possibly answer other responses to my post as I have grandkids to pick up in a few minutes... YEAH, love the grandkids!
Old 01-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #230  

Quote:
Well, lurking didn't last long did it... lol. NO NO NO, I didn't take your post personally. I used it to help show what I was saying about how we are all different. At first I thought... oh my GOSH, I'm cooking them wrong. But I love them so much that way that I am making the "choice" to continue cooking them that way. Is it off program? Possibly. Do I care, frankly no. I'm just not going to worry about it UNLESS I stop losing completely or at a rate I'm not satisfied with. I loved the fact that you shared that info with us/me. But my first thought was I needed to change what I was doing. You didn't tell me to change, that was my thoughts. My friend pointed out to me that if I was completely satisfied with my weight loss I shouldn't have to give up the crispy turnips if I didn't want too. That made an impression on me. I guess what I was trying to point out is that there would probably be some on this site who would think I was wrong in doing so and going off program (I don't for a minute think you are one of them, as I have so enjoyed your posts... enough so that one day last wk I went back and read many of your posts from the beginning because I noticed that your weight right now is where I started from and we are the same height.) I'm sorry that you felt my post was venting. I certainly didn't mean it that way, just wanted to express my observations. I certainly don't feel I have other issues in my life right now, I'm retired, don't have the stress of working and am getting ready to head for Florida for the next several months. As I said, my mind and health are in a better place than they have been in a long time due to this life change. I believe for me that struggling to worry about every word I might post on here and how it might be understood, or misunderstood is not something I care to deal with. Been there done that for many many years during my 33 yr career. I had a boss that wanted to do everything by email and no matter what I said in an email I would get a response from him in great big bright green type telling me how wrong I was. Just not interested in seeing how some peoples posts are responded to. But please, I assure you I didn't mean to cause you concern by using your post to point out how we all can do some things differently but still be satisfied with the outcome. New Englander, you and I are just fine!

Now I don't have time to read or possibly answer other responses to my post as I have grandkids to pick up in a few minutes... YEAH, love the grandkids!
Sigh! That was what I just did after reading your response. Thank you for taking the time to let me know. it made me feel better...sorry I took your post the wrong way...Tonality gets lost in posts and it's hard to tell what someone is saying or how they are trying to express it! Please hang around and keep lurking and/or posting!!! Enjoy your grandchildren!!! <3
Old 01-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #231  

Quote:

Sigh (a sigh of relief)
! That was what I just did after reading your response. Thank you for taking the time to let me know. it made me feel better...sorry I took your post the wrong way...Tonality gets lost in posts and it's hard to tell what someone is saying or how they are trying to express it! Please hang around and keep lurking and/or posting!!! Enjoy your grandchildren!!!

And thanks for the laugh about your lurking not lasting long!!! LOL

Last edited by New Englander; 01-26-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Closed Thread