Old 01-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Default Bra-Fitting Tips...

I gotta tell you my bras are not fitting right...and I imagine I'm in good company. A great fitting bra can make or break ab outfit. Below is a link from Oprah's website about this topic. Also, Nordstroms comes highly recommended for bra fittings. Just be careful not to spend the $100s on ONE BRA that they will try to sell you!

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Bra-Fitting-Tips
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/165/140

Height: 5' 5.75''

Thank you ma'am. I think the bra I put on this morning was the opposite of an 18 hour bra. It became increasingly ill-fitting as the day continues.
Aunrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Just thought I'd point out that during my journey because I wasn't spending the money on a good bra....and getting one that "would just do me in the mean time"....I really screwed up my shoulder. I eventually got properly fitted at a lingere shop that came highly recommended by a friend that had breast cancer.

The first bra she gave me was a little small in the thorax but the cups were perfect. So she gave me a size larger. My shoulder instantly INSTANTLY felt 40% better. I hugged the lady and left with it on (threw the old one out in the store lol). She did tell me that if I lost more weight but the cups sizes 'would do' for now to bring it in and they would adjust it with a seamstress they had on contract...woot woot!

...did I spend a lot on the one I have now. Ummm...YEAH! lol Did I spend more on massages/physio/acupunture before I realized that maybe it was an ill-fitting bra....YEAH!

...just be aware that it's not only our clothes that people actually SEE that need to be changed.

Have a great day!

Last edited by Ishbel; 01-23-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
Just thought I'd point out that during my journey because I wasn't spending the money on a good bra....and getting one that "would just do me in the mean time"....I really screwed up my shoulder. I eventually got properly fitted at a lingere shop that came highly recommended by a friend that had breast cancer.

The first bra she gave me was a little small in the thorax but the cups were perfect. So she gave me a size larger. My shoulder instantly INSTANTLY felt 40% better. I hugged the lady and left with it on (threw the old one out in the store lol). She did tell me that if I lost more weight but the cups sizes 'would do' for now to bring it in and they would adjust it with a seamstress they had on contract...woot woot!

...did I spend a lot on the one I have now. Ummm...YEAH! lol Did I spend more on massages/physio/acupunture before I realized that maybe it was an ill-fitting bra....YEAH!

...just be aware that it's not only our clothes that people actually SEE that need to be changed.

Have a great day!
You're so right. It's not only our clothes that need to be changed! Ugh...hopefully I can hold out on buying them until I get fitted properly when I reach goal...we'll see!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #5  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi, I just posted a blog post about bra buying tips while losing weight.

The biggest thing, though, is to remember that your underbust=band size (and measure tightly!!). Whatever you do DON'T add inches, otherwise you really could get quite a bit of back pain!! Also, make sure the center gore is flat against your chest and that your breasts are completely enclosed in the cups (basically no quadraboob or underarm fat!).

If you need help with fitting you can post your measurements here and I can suggest a size to start with (But nothing beats trying on bras in person) and also check out my bra fitting page for more help.

BTW, you DON'T need to spend $100 on a well-fitting bra. Check out places like brastop and ebay UK (They have international shipping and brastop sometimes has FREE international shipping and the prices are a lot lower!). Also, Ewa Michalak bras are very affordable and the shipping isn't too bad and those are probably the highest quality bras that I have ever seen!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
Hi, I just posted a blog post about bra buying tips while losing weight.

The biggest thing, though, is to remember that your underbust=band size (and measure tightly!!). Whatever you do DON'T add inches, otherwise you really could get quite a bit of back pain!! Also, make sure the center gore is flat against your chest and that your breasts are completely enclosed in the cups (basically no quadraboob or underarm fat!).

If you need help with fitting you can post your measurements here and I can suggest a size to start with (But nothing beats trying on bras in person) and also check out my bra fitting page for more help.

BTW, you DON'T need to spend $100 on a well-fitting bra. Check out places like brastop and ebay UK (They have international shipping and brastop sometimes has FREE international shipping and the prices are a lot lower!). Also, Ewa Michalak bras are very affordable and the shipping isn't too bad and those are probably the highest quality bras that I have ever seen!
Hi runningfromfat,

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Great tips and I haven't even read your blog yet! Thanks for the tips on where to buy bras! And I agree you don't have to spend $100s!

Edit: You just wrote the blog two days ago!!! Great minds think alike...or minds in need of a good fitting bra think alike!

Last edited by New Englander; 01-23-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

A very timely thread as I desperately need new bras. They were getting a little old before I started IP, but now they don't fit at all anymore. I just hate to spend the money before I'm at goal, but there is no way I can hold out much longer. I'm constantly tugging and pulling.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

LOL, I spent $200+ on bras a couple weeks ago at Nordys Rack and boy-howdy do I look and feel better.
2Poles1Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #9  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Hi runningfromfat,

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Great tips and I haven't even read your blog yet! Thanks for the tips on where to buy bras! And I agree you don't have to spend $100s!

Edit: You just wrote the blog two days ago!!! Great minds think alike...or minds in need of a good fitting bra think alike!
I'm glad that my tips helped!

Ha, yeah, that blog has been in the works for awhile but I've been a bit lazy about taking some of the pictures for it and putting on the finish touches. I normally find myself giving out the same advice to everyone and wanted it all in one place.

Oh, but I did just lose an inch on my underbust and really do need new bras, once again! Ahh!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 251/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Does anyone from the Toronto area know of a good store that sells bras, as i have a very hard time finding bras for my size. I have a large cup size and the regular mall lingerie stores dont sell them. The only place i can get them is addition elle and penningtons, and i like to try bras on and not order online. I am currently a 38H but i know when i am done all the weight loss, i will never be a D cup or even a DD.
kelly1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #11  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1962 View Post
Does anyone from the Toronto area know of a good store that sells bras, as i have a very hard time finding bras for my size. I have a large cup size and the regular mall lingerie stores dont sell them. The only place i can get them is addition elle and penningtons, and i like to try bras on and not order online. I am currently a 38H but i know when i am done all the weight loss, i will never be a D cup or even a DD.
Have you heard of Butterfly bras? I know they have a few locations (not sure where so you should check their site) but they also will do fittings via skype and they have people in a lot of major cities in Canada that will help with fitting advice.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #12  
June

Also, here's a review of the store and the online fitting... that blogger is from Toronto so you could always contact her too.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 251/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Awesome thanks so much for the tips! I will check them out.
kelly1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #14  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1962 View Post
Awesome thanks so much for the tips! I will check them out.
No problem! I hope you find something that fits!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #15  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Wow...some great information. Definitely time for a new bra. I wanted to wait a bit but the time is now. Initially some ill-fitting bras started feeling better now they are just not working out too well. Thanks for the great tips and ideas.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote