Old 03-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
So I decided it was time to get a bra fitting done, (having loss 63 lbs). I went to Nordstroms and told the women I was on a budget and still have about 10 lbs to lose so i don't want to spend a lot of money on bras. Unbeknownst to me their low end for a bra (not on sale) is roughly $65. HA~ So, she fitted me then proceeded to bring me in expensive bras plus a neglige that cost $172~ haha again~ She also brought me in a Spanx like top which I treated myself to then I searched the sale racks and bought another bra for less and then headed over to Macy's with my accurate bra size, and bought more bras at an affordable price! Boy it feels good to have bras that fit!!! WOO HOO!!!

Macy's has great quality and great sales! I just got a robe for $5 on the clearance rack and 2 pairs of jeans for 1/4 what they were originally.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
Macy's has great quality and great sales! I just got a robe for $5 on the clearance rack and 2 pairs of jeans for 1/4 what they were originally.
Nice! I have a hard time paying full price for many things. I love a good sale too!!!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #63  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
That brand doesn't fit me well - too wide or something. I've tried so many of their bras and all of them fit me funny.
This was my first time trying this brand and they seem to be my cup of tea! But, hopefully when I start hitting TJ Maxx I'll be able to find some good fitting bras in my size.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #64  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
A 32G (in UK sizes, I'm not 100% sure what that is in US sizes) would be a good starting point for you. The reason you have all those different sizes is because the cup size depends on the band size. So, for instance, a cup on a 32G=34FF=36F=38E=40DD. Now you might be wondering why a 40C or 38C "fits" when I'm suggesting a larger cup size for you but that's because the band is too loose.
I think I finally understand this. I was confused at first but when I saw how the bra lady chose new sizes for the women I was shocked, but I could see the difference. "The girls" looked good and they were up where they are supposed to be despite what age does to us. Those bras did not give away age (gravity issues).
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #65  
Started IP 12/30/11

So, finally success.

I am a 34F or thereabouts.

Thank you, runningfromfat. You nailed it.

After looking at runningfromfat's blog and other links and some videos on you tube (brastop has some good info too) I measured myself and these were my measurements.

31 inches band (underboob)
38 inches bust (boobs)

Now, sometimes my measurements differed but not more than an inch.

I used this bra calculator http://www.sophisticatedpair.com/bracalculator.htm#
Which gave me a couple sizes to work with.

I went to Nordstrom's Rack because New Englander had success with Nordstrom's and Macy's. I had looked up both online and found Nordstrom's to be quite pricey. Nordstrom rack was closer to home so I thought I would start there.

So I grabbed a bunch and quickly eliminated a bunch of sizes. The 32 inch band was just too tight but it helped me to narrow down some cup sizes.There wasn't much choice once I narrowed down the size and the bra I picked worked well. It was like I finally got it. Priced at more than 50% off I grabbed it.

I know my size now or at least my size in that brand. Based on what I have read different brands run differently. So I thought I tried on two in the same size but one fit and the other dug in a little.

I put my t-shirt on and liked how they looked. I finally realized what all the fuss was about. In appearance the difference from my current best fitting bra, a 36D, was subtle but the effect was dramatic. The band and the bulk of the bra did all the work. I never even adjusted the straps. No pull or tug there. My old bras dug in my shoulders. The ladies rested midway between my elbows and shoulders which is really nice at my age. I did not do the 2 finger test but the fit was firm. This was especially noticable when I put back on my current best fitting bra and it felt like nothing. Just a step above au naturale. I finally understood what a good fit is about.

I may still go for a professional fitting one day. And, I am still toying with ordering from brastop. I was going to get a 34DD before. Would have been in trouble with that. But, I believe my UK size to be 34E which is also 34F and 34DDD in the US. Yes, just to keep things confusing.

I want to thank all of you for your information and advice. I took everything into consideration and looked up other information on fitting, just to "get it." This sizing business was a really tough concept to wrap my head around. It was like telling me water is green. Hunh?

But, I get it now. The band has to fit and I suspect most of us, to compensate for cup sizes, are wearing bands that are too big so the bras are not able to do the support work they are designed to do. The cup sizes are not as large as you think. The cup on my 34F looks very much like the cups on my 36D. I think this is what confuses most women.

So, now I know. Even though I lost all this weight, I am still in specialty sizes and I have to purchase accordingly.

Last edited by purple sky; 04-05-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Nordstrom is hard to spell
Old 04-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #66  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

purple sky

I'm sooooooooooooo glad to hear that you found a bra that fits, that's awesome!!!

One thing you might find (re: 32's vs. 34's) is that over time after you get used to wearing 34's you might find that you prefer 32's. The reason being is that
1 you get used to wearing a tighter band
2 there's something called breast tissue remigration. Basically after years of wearing illfitting bras your breast tissue migrates towards your back/sides. Once you start wearing tighter bands and cups that fit it remigrates towards your front. So you might actually find you go up in cup size and down a band size AND your back fat/underarm fat gets better.

It appears this has happened to me too, so I just wanted to give you a heads up down the road if you wonder why your preference might change.

But I'm so happy you found a bra that feels comfortable and fit, yay!!!!!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #67  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

purple sky Nice! I am one of these freaks that have to go with a bigger band. -- I tried going by the "real" band size and had bruising for 10 days I am glad you found some you can be comfortable with!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #68  
Started IP 12/30/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
purple sky

I'm sooooooooooooo glad to hear that you found a bra that fits, that's awesome!!!

One thing you might find (re: 32's vs. 34's) is that over time after you get used to wearing 34's you might find that you prefer 32's. The reason being is that
1 you get used to wearing a tighter band
2 there's something called breast tissue remigration. Basically after years of wearing illfitting bras your breast tissue migrates towards your back/sides. Once you start wearing tighter bands and cups that fit it remigrates towards your front. So you might actually find you go up in cup size and down a band size AND your back fat/underarm fat gets better.

It appears this has happened to me too, so I just wanted to give you a heads up down the road if you wonder why your preference might change.

But I'm so happy you found a bra that feels comfortable and fit, yay!!!!!
Thanx for the migration tips. I did notice some bulging on the sides and other areas but it was not what it was like when I was wearing a bra with cups too small.

I will keep trying new ones. I did not have enough choice in my size range. It took me two weeks to get to the store to do this. I will retry 32's because sometimes when I measure my underboob is 30.

I didn't really get all this before but better I have 2 or 3 good bras rather than 6+ in sizes that don't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post
purple sky Nice! I am one of these freaks that have to go with a bigger band. -- I tried going by the "real" band size and had bruising for 10 days I am glad you found some you can be comfortable with!
Ah, good to know. I have not started wearing it yet. Not washed yet. This is a learning process. Whole new adventure.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #69  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post
It doesn't make you a freak, just a different body type. The Linger Addict has the same thing (and if you see a picture of her back it's pretty clear that it does get quite a bit wider from her underbust). I'm the opposite (I have to go down). I think the one thing you have to understand about female body types is that you can ALWAYS expect a significant amount of variation!!!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #70  
Round 2 started 6/21/13

S/C/G: 269/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Inspired by this thread I went out and got fitted for bras at Victoria's Secret today. I've been a 38C or D for an eternity now and even went to a 40C, and I always had issues with the underarm fat. Now I understand why. I needed a 36DD instead. Thanks to all who cleared up the confusion on band size v. Cup size. I feel a gazillion times better in my clothes now. Goodbye boob fat in the wrong places
Beanie Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #71  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie Mommy View Post
Inspired by this thread I went out and got fitted for bras at Victoria's Secret today. I've been a 38C or D for an eternity now and even went to a 40C, and I always had issues with the underarm fat. Now I understand why. I needed a 36DD instead. Thanks to all who cleared up the confusion on band size v. Cup size. I feel a gazillion times better in my clothes now. Goodbye boob fat in the wrong places
The girls are thanking you!!! I got fitting a month ago and can't believe the difference...happy girls, happy me!!!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #72  
Started IP 12/30/11

I was able to find 3 at Nordstrom Rack and probably spent $70-$75 (One was unusually marked down). Which is about the retail cost for 1. (And maybe almost what I spent on those 3 temps bras in the wrong size) When I phase off this diet I think I will give the professional fitting a try. I want to learn what is a good style for me. The girls sit too far apart. Funny the things you notice when you are not just slapping on a holster.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 231/210/160

Default Thank You!!!

Yesterday morning, I realized my bras are just toooooo big, so I started thinking about going for a fitting, but not wanting to spend too much money since I'll lose more weight and it won't fit for too long and then I found this thread!

I was wearing a 42DD and I measured myself last night and went shopping today for a 40DDD (convinced that I wouldn't be able to find one) and I found plenty!!! I hit the jackpot at JCPenney (because I had a gift card there), but I only ended up getting one. I now have 2 bras that fit well and will buy some more when these get too big!

Thanks for the tips!!

YAY!!!
Miss Laura B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #74  
Started IP 12/30/11

Does anyone wash their bras in the washer. I used to wash mine on delicate and dry on delicate. I also have a hand wash cycle on my washer now. Never used it. I would prefer to do that than hand wash. I don't hand wash anymore. Used to.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'1

So I was curious and took my measurements.. I'm a 34 underbust (I already added the 4 to my 30" measurement) and 34 1/2 for bust. According to the chart, this means i'm around a 34 AA. Wow a AA?! I've been wearing B's... If I go try AA's will my breasts be falling out of the sides and top? It just seems so small. I suppose I need to go try some on!
CassiR is offline   Reply With Quote