Old 03-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Very timely...underwire bras have always felt uncomfortable to me, so I got some cotton soft cup bras at Catherines, but now even their smallest size (42C) is too big. I keep falling out of it. I keep putting off going somewhere to get help because bras are so expensive, but the way I look now, I really need them!
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 162/162/140

Height: 5'1"

A couple of years ago, I had considered having a breast reduction to help with my back pain. The doctor asked me if I wore a bra at night and I said no, why? He said that all women should wear a night bra to keep the breasts from stretching. I bought a Rhonda Shear Ahh bra and have worn it every night since and love it. I used to sweat under my breasts and this bra helps!
pegv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #18  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Aww...love this... I started one thread and unfortunately, my pre historic dinosaur methods were chewed upon

What I have learned; I used to sell bras and fitted 1000's of women...per certain formula, which may work for some and be totally wrong for others.....so the thing I learned; don't let anyone bully you into thinking one way is better than other. Only YOU can judge, with all information, how to fit a bra.

So I went and did an experiment; I bought some bras that were measure the new way...and it did not work for me. I think it is my body type. I think my rib cage flares out (as runningfrom fat kindly asked me about) and I have to measure the old fashioned way. I don't need to add 5 inches, but I need to add atleast 3-4 ...that being said; someone else may have a totally different rib cage and they have to go by the exact measurement or even smaller, because of the build. I am doing my second part of the experiment today and feeling miserable ( I was told I need to get a 32 band at first; which left severe bruising; today I am wearing 34 and not liking it.... it hurts; cups feel good but band is killing me...)

Please follow the tips; how the band feels and fits, any pulling? any marks? does your bra ride? up etc....just because someone says you are "this particular size" does not mean it fits.

Use your own judgement with a help of bra experts. The key is try on and try on and try on many, MANY bras. You will find your soul mate at the end and it will be life happily ever after
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #19  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
Very timely...underwire bras have always felt uncomfortable to me, so I got some cotton soft cup bras at Catherines, but now even their smallest size (42C) is too big. I keep falling out of it. I keep putting off going somewhere to get help because bras are so expensive, but the way I look now, I really need them!
The best starting place is measuring your underbust (tightly!) to find your band size and then working on the cup size from there. I have a page here where it discusses bra fitting.

There certainly can be exceptions to the undebust=band size rule as Sum38 point out (I personally have to buy slightly smaller bands, for instance) but it's the best starting point. . That's why it's very important to understand what a well-fitting bra looks like and how it should feel (that's discussed on the page I linked to above). Understand too, though, that many bra fitters don't necessarily have the best knowledge when it comes to bra fitting so you can sometimes run into problems. Always go in knowing your measurements and have at least some idea what size would work for you. It'll save a lot of frustration in the long run!

If you have any questions let me know, I'm happy to help.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #20  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegv View Post
A couple of years ago, I had considered having a breast reduction to help with my back pain. The doctor asked me if I wore a bra at night and I said no, why? He said that all women should wear a night bra to keep the breasts from stretching. I bought a Rhonda Shear Ahh bra and have worn it every night since and love it. I used to sweat under my breasts and this bra helps!
Are you wearing tight enough bands during the day too? I know for me that even if my bands are slightly loose I have almost immediate back pain.

I definitely agree with wearing bras at night! I'm still looking for a good soft cup bra for that very reason.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #21  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple sky View Post
Wow...some great information. Definitely time for a new bra. I wanted to wait a bit but the time is now. Initially some ill-fitting bras started feeling better now they are just not working out too well. Thanks for the great tips and ideas.
If you have any questions let me know! Good luck shopping!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #22  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
If you have any questions let me know! Good luck shopping!
Wow, this is serious stuff. I did hear that Oprah always says you have to have a good bra but if never occured to me to spend that kind of money and I did not think I felt comfortable going into a store to ask women to size me. How do you even find these stores? I saw your tips for measurement and I want to make sure I am doing them correctly.

Underbust is 32.
But bust bending over and on back is like 40. Does that make sense?

I am so confused because I think I have like 36D or 40C and maybe 38C in my drawers.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #23  
June

Quote:
Wow, this is serious stuff. I did hear that Oprah always says you have to have a good bra but if never occured to me to spend that kind of money and I did not think I felt comfortable going into a store to ask women to size me. How do you even find these stores? I saw your tips for measurement and I want to make sure I am doing them correctly.

Underbust is 32.
But bust bending over and on back is like 40. Does that make sense?

I am so confused because I think I have like 36D or 40C and maybe 38C in my drawers.
A 32G (in UK sizes, I'm not 100% sure what that is in US sizes) would be a good starting point for you. The reason you have all those different sizes is because the cup size depends on the band size. So, for instance, a cup on a 32G=34FF=36F=38E=40DD. Now you might be wondering why a 40C or 38C "fits" when I'm suggesting a larger cup size for you but that's because the band is too loose. For instance, I have bras that have too bands for me and they look like the cups fit on them but if I have DH pull the band tight in the back (like it should fit), I end up with quadraboob and the underwires cut into my breast tissue.

So long story short it's good to find your band measurement first. It's really important, though, that you try a large enough cup in your correct band, otherwise the band can feel tight, even when it's the correct size.

Personally, I have done all the fitting for myself because I live in a bra-desert. So I started with my measurements and then kept trying on new bras while I narrowed in on my size. Sometimes fitters don't even understand proper sizing/fit so it's good to go in having a guess at your size and knowing what a well-fitting bra looks like.

As for the money, if you do order online, make sure ot order from places that have good return policies!!! Since you're in the states there are a lot of great online shops that do (listed on my resource page on my blog). For me spending on bras has been well worth it. I get back pain almost immediately when my band is too big. I also watch for deals. Brastop has probably the cheapest bras that I've found and they offer free international shipping on occasion so that's a great place to check too!!! That's not even telling how much better I feel in my own skin simply because I do feel more confident wearing bras that fit.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #24  
Started IP 12/30/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
A 32G (in UK sizes, I'm not 100% sure what that is in US sizes) would be a good starting point for you. The reason you have all those different sizes is because the cup size depends on the band size. So, for instance, a cup on a 32G=34FF=36F=38E=40DD. Now you might be wondering why a 40C or 38C "fits" when I'm suggesting a larger cup size for you but that's because the band is too loose. For instance, I have bras that have too bands for me and they look like the cups fit on them but if I have DH pull the band tight in the back (like it should fit), I end up with quadraboob and the underwires cut into my breast tissue.

So long story short it's good to find your band measurement first. It's really important, though, that you try a large enough cup in your correct band, otherwise the band can feel tight, even when it's the correct size.

Personally, I have done all the fitting for myself because I live in a bra-desert. So I started with my measurements and then kept trying on new bras while I narrowed in on my size. Sometimes fitters don't even understand proper sizing/fit so it's good to go in having a guess at your size and knowing what a well-fitting bra looks like.

As for the money, if you do order online, make sure ot order from places that have good return policies!!! Since you're in the states there are a lot of great online shops that do (listed on my resource page on my blog). For me spending on bras has been well worth it. I get back pain almost immediately when my band is too big. I also watch for deals. Brastop has probably the cheapest bras that I've found and they offer free international shipping on occasion so that's a great place to check too!!! That's not even telling how much better I feel in my own skin simply because I do feel more confident wearing bras that fit.
Wow, you are amazing. I am looking at brastop now. Prices are not bad at all and they take paypal. I like that I can see the women in it because they do look like my size.

This all blows me away. I remember looking at this post long ago but at that time it was not an issue. Now, there is some puckering in the cups. But, it does feel weird to think of myself as a anything bigger than a D. That cracks me up a little.

I just signed up on RetailMeNot for brastop coupon codes.

Thank you so much. This is so fascinating as I know nothing at all about this.

Oh, one more question. I did the underbust tightly but I did the bust loosely. Should those measurements have been tight also?

p.s. we have like the same measurements and goals.

Last edited by purple sky; 03-02-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #25  
Started IP 01/14/2012

S/C/G: 280/261/180

Height: 5'8"

PurpleSky - don't know where in CA you are, but I LOVE "Intimacy" bra stores. They are pricey to be sure, but getting fit properly is key. Once you are properly fit and have an idea of what size you wear in a particular brand, you can look online for cheaper solutions. (My cup size is H - which is difficult to find in general, online or otherwise.) According to their website, there are three stores in CA - Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego.
Chuckles1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #26  
Started IP 12/30/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles1330 View Post
PurpleSky - don't know where in CA you are, but I LOVE "Intimacy" bra stores. They are pricey to be sure, but getting fit properly is key. Once you are properly fit and have an idea of what size you wear in a particular brand, you can look online for cheaper solutions. (My cup size is H - which is difficult to find in general, online or otherwise.) According to their website, there are three stores in CA - Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego.
Thank you, Chuckles1330. I will go ahead and check it out. I did find them online today but with the name I ahh, was not sure as to what kind of store it was, you know. I am comfortable in Victoria's Secret but I am generally not comfortable in lingerie shops. I am very shy and reserved. But, if you like them I will check them out. That is why I just buy my bras in regular stores. More comfortable of an experience for me. Just curious. What might a bra at Intimacy run? Just so I don't have sticker shock when I go in. Thank you. This web site is the best. Ask and you receive.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #27  
June

Quote:
Wow, you are amazing. I am looking at brastop now. Prices are not bad at all and they take paypal. I like that I can see the women in it because they do look like my size.

This all blows me away. I remember looking at this post long ago but at that time it was not an issue. Now, there is some puckering in the cups. But, it does feel weird to think of myself as a anything bigger than a D. That cracks me up a little.

I just signed up on RetailMeNot for brastop coupon codes.

Thank you so much. This is so fascinating as I know nothing at all about this.

Oh, one more question. I did the underbust tightly but I did the bust loosely. Should those measurements have been tight also?

p.s. we have like the same measurements and goals.
No problem! The bust measurement you don't want to be too tight because otherwise they'll be uncomfortable so it sounds like you did it perfectly. I'd suggest ordering in a few different sizes so you can get a better idea. Also, if you subscribe to their newsletter they often have free or half price international shipping, which just makes it better!

If there is an Intimacy or any other lingerie shop you could always try that in person to zone in on your size (maybe pick up one bra to help support the store IF you found one that you love and the service is good) and then buy the rest online.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #28  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

OK, I have never done the "measure leaning down bit".... Well, maybe I have bit it was when I was nursing. She had me measure the breast itself, like from underbust outward to nipple.

This is what I get.

Underbust - 34"
Overbust with bra - 40" (just lost an inch this past month from breast tissue for the FIRST time this weight loss journey. All other losses have been around the back/band)

Now, leaning forward around the bust with no bra: 44"
Leaning forward around the breast: 10" for one from one side to the other.
And the method of just measuring outward while bending over: 5"
On my back (where the boobs fall to the side): 42"

My breasts are VERY saggy. They always have been, but I think I'm beginning to see either the effects of gravity, loose skin or something. Basically they look like naval oranges dangling from a short tube sock.

I attached a photo to another discussion on this and I think it's a great photo as it shows how different our breasts are:

Mine look like (and always have looked like) the last one - Hot Water Bottles. So, based on my measurements, what size SHOULD I be getting? I have 36DDD, 34F and 34G. They all fit me differently. The 34G ironically is the tightest and makes my breasts look the smallest. I actually think in that brand/cut I need an H. Yet I have another 34G with a more formed bra cup that I'm not sure I fill out properly. So, I'm still trying to figure it out.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 03-02-2012 at 02:17 PM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #29  
Started IP 01/14/2012

S/C/G: 280/261/180

Height: 5'8"

PurpleSky - I would plan on $80-$120 for a bra at Intimacy. And don't worry - the shop will be less racy than Victoria's Secret Having said that, you might be able to get out for less - smaller sizes cost a bit less, and I've always been at the top of their size range. I've always been happy with the service I've received there, and have referred a lot of friends and family to them who have also always left happy. Since I'm losing weight, I didn't allocate part of my bonus for a trip there this year, but will do so again next year, especially since I should need to be resized.
Chuckles1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #30  
Started IP 12/30/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles1330 View Post
PurpleSky - I would plan on $80-$120 for a bra at Intimacy. And don't worry - the shop will be less racy than Victoria's Secret Having said that, you might be able to get out for less - smaller sizes cost a bit less, and I've always been at the top of their size range. I've always been happy with the service I've received there, and have referred a lot of friends and family to them who have also always left happy. Since I'm losing weight, I didn't allocate part of my bonus for a trip there this year, but will do so again next year, especially since I should need to be resized.
Ahh, just what I thought. I think it might make a good gift for when I hit goal. At that price I want to wear it a long time. Might also motivate me not to put weight back on. LOL! I am looking forward to this though. The difference in bras fitting better when I first started to lose weight was wonderful.