Old 01-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Default Is Flavored Olive Oil Permitted in Phase 1?

Hi, I love truffles, and have an olive oil with white truffle flavoring. It's zero carbs and zero sugars...but the usual fat of our required olive oil. Is this a permitted item or no??? I've been doing so well and don't want to mess it up with something that I can wait to enjoy. TY

Last edited by New Englander; 01-19-2012 at 12:45 PM.
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #2  
Gotta keep trying!

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150.

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Hi, I love truffles, and have an olive oil with white truffle flavoring. It's zero carbs and zero sugars...but the usual fat of our required olive oil. Is this a permitted item or no??? I've been doing so well and don't want to mess it up with something that I can wait to enjoy. TY
Does it list any other ingredients?
omgzitsmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #3  

No it doesn't list any other ingredients. It's just flavored olive oil.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #4  
Gotta keep trying!

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150.

Quote:
No it doesn't list any other ingredients. It's just flavored olive oil.
Are you doing IP "real" or alternative? I would suggest asking your coach. I would say it would be okay, but I'm pretty new... maybe someone else can answer better
omgzitsmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzitsmiranda View Post
Are you doing IP "real" or alternative? I would suggest asking your coach. I would say it would be okay, but I'm pretty new... maybe someone else can answer better
IP real. Hmm...I got a chuckle over "ask my coach"...I once asked about Tofu and was told by my coach, "I don't know, I don't eat tofu"...I've since got my Tofu answer but seriously! If you don't know you find out!!! I've learned this group is diverse and smart! I'll wait for others to chime in and if I don't get anything concrete I'll just wait... I really do appreciate your feedback!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 212/196/160

Height: 5'7"

I used flavored olive oils through out phase 1- garlic, lemon, lime, red pepper flavored. They are a great way to mix things up a little. As long as 0/0/0, no carbs, no sugar, no alcohol, they are okie dokie.
Determinedat47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #7  
IP start date 1/3/2012

S/C/G: 232/185/160

Height: 5'9"

I am in the process of making my own flavored olive oil with garlic, rosemary, thyme. As long as it is 0/0/0 I'd say you are good!
lindac36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinedat47 View Post
I used flavored olive oils through out phase 1- garlic, lemon, lime, red pepper flavored. They are a great way to mix things up a little. As long as 0/0/0, no carbs, no sugar, no alcohol, they are okie dokie.
Thanks! I really can't wait to try the truffle oil on some home made mac & cheese... SOON!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #9  

Height: 5' 4.5"

What is the concensus on tofu anyway? OK or not OK???
kiki4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #10  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki4me View Post
What is the concensus on tofu anyway? OK or not OK???
It is OK.
It is listed under "Other" on the Phase 1 sheet you can find within the Sticky.

I am not sure on the quantity. When I have used it, I usually go for the portion size listed on the package, I think it was about 1/4 of the package.

Anyone else using it?
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 153/140/125

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Thanks! I really can't wait to try the truffle oil on some home made mac & cheese... SOON!!!
Home made mac & cheese on IP? how does that work? I would love the recipe if it is allowed.
Mkssweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkssweetie View Post
Home made mac & cheese on IP? how does that work? I would love the recipe if it is allowed.
LOL!!! Oh no...Home made Mac & Cheese is for my first cheat day on Phase 4...currently a dream away...
Old 01-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoplease View Post
It is OK.
It is listed under "Other" on the Phase 1 sheet you can find within the Sticky.

I am not sure on the quantity. When I have used it, I usually go for the portion size listed on the package, I think it was about 1/4 of the package.

Anyone else using it?
I'm sticking to the protein allowance and using 5 - 8 oz of tofu....once I decide which type is best...firm, medium or soft...I'll be googling some recipes to see what the best options are..personally, I'm so sick of chicken and eggs...and I'm not a big red meat eater...I like fish but it stinks up the house...
Old 01-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

I see several people refering to the 0/0/0 as no carb/no sugar/no alcohol when the IP protocol actually refers to it as no carb/no fat/no sugar. But since this is replacing your oil allowance, I would assume it would be OK to use.

And mac & cheese sounds good!

Last edited by galpal445; 01-20-2012 at 11:41 AM.
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #15  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I'm sticking to the protein allowance and using 5 - 8 oz of tofu....once I decide which type is best...firm, medium or soft...I'll be googling some recipes to see what the best options are..personally, I'm so sick of chicken and eggs...and I'm not a big red meat eater...I like fish but it stinks up the house...
Thanks for the quantity clarification. I gave my coach a homework assignment to clarify vegetarian options for me, but she was sick yesterday.

As for my tofu experimentation, Extra Firm is typically the lowest in carbs and highest in protein (they range is like 1g to 6g carbs so not super significant). I typically cube it and cook it first, using some oil spray or minimal oil in a non stick pan on med high; after it has a hard texture/somewhat browned you can remove it and cook you vegetables then add it back at the end.

Soft will kind of disintegrate when you cook it. Leaves little bits and pieces on your vegetables. It won't typically crisp up, so you can just put it in with your vegetables and as you stir it up it will pretty much break up. You can also blend it into drinks and puddings.

Tofu will pick up the flavors around it -- so using a flavored oil to cook it in or to drizzle on after would be really tasty. Or, saute some garlic cut into chips prior to adding the tofu to a stir fry if you are a fresh garlic fan.

You can cube it up "raw" and put it into salads, too.

You can cut it into "slabs" about 1/2 inch thick and bake it. Not sure what is OP to use for sauce; maybe some of the Walden Farms ones would work.

Hope you post any good recipes you find or create.
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote