3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Crunchies for salad that are NOT restricted (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/250135-crunchies-salad-not-restricted.html)

Mickeymom 01-09-2012 01:37 PM

Crunchies for salad that are NOT restricted

Hello All.
I am loving some type of crunch in my salad but i have been using 1/3 to 1/2 a bag of southwest cheese curls or dill pickle zippers. I don't want to use them anymore because i don't need the extra IP meals.
Does anyone have suggestions for non restricted foods I can put in my salad to give me the crunch without sacrificing calories/carbs?
Maybe a veggie I can crisp up?
Thank you.

Mickeymom 01-09-2012 01:40 PM

I already put veggies in my salad like cucumbers, radishes, peppers but i am really looking for a crouton/french fried onion substitute.
Or do i just have to learn to live without???? Not a sacrifice, just a change in eating habits???

loose seal 01-09-2012 01:48 PM

I'm not on IP nor do I really know anything about what you can/cannot have but if nuts are ok they give salad a really nice crunch, are nutrient dense so you don't need tons of them and are quite tasty. Almonds, walnuts, pecans. Yum!

mamacitaof2 01-09-2012 01:53 PM

Fresh Cauliflower has a nice crunch to it. You won't get the flavor your looking for. You could try baking them with some WF ranch dressing and them adding them to salad.

Survalia 01-09-2012 01:55 PM

FinnSteven has a recipe for salad crunchies using the cereal packet and separating the milk powder out, then adding spices, I believe. That would not be restricted, but would count as at least 1/2 a protein packet, if not more. I can't think of anything that would qualify as "free", but maybe someone else has better ideas. If you want to try the recipe, go to the stickies and search for salad topping.

2RIDEROLLERCOAST 01-09-2012 01:57 PM

look at steven's recipe link I think he had a recipe for the cereal. or it could be in recipe 3 link if you can find it.

DanafromAustin 01-09-2012 04:01 PM

I generally add celery for that extra crunchy feeling.

MustangMolly 01-09-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickeymom (Post 4164072)
Hello All.
I am loving some type of crunch in my salad but i have been using 1/3 to 1/2 a bag of southwest cheese curls or dill pickle zippers. I don't want to use them anymore because i don't need the extra IP meals.
Does anyone have suggestions for non restricted foods I can put in my salad to give me the crunch without sacrificing calories/carbs?
Maybe a veggie I can crisp up?
Thank you.

How about dried onions?

SewingMomma 01-09-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanafromAustin (Post 4164352)
I generally add celery for that extra crunchy feeling.

Same here. I cut it into small pieces. I also sprinkle some no-salt cajun seasoning on my salads to give them some extra flavor.

sarahmayhem 01-09-2012 04:42 PM

i like zucchini chips!

if you sprinkle them with a bunch of spices and lemon/lime, bake them in the oven until they're brown and crispy...they work well :)

Mickeymom 01-10-2012 04:14 PM

Thank you for the ideas. I will give them a try.

SewingMomma 01-10-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahmayhem (Post 4164402)
i like zucchini chips!

if you sprinkle them with a bunch of spices and lemon/lime, bake them in the oven until they're brown and crispy...they work well :)

Those sound yummy. I'm going to have to try them. Thanks for the tip!

Danni1 01-10-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahmayhem (Post 4164402)
i like zucchini chips!

Great idea! Any suggestion on how long to bake them for?

sarahmayhem 01-10-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danni1 (Post 4166053)
Great idea! Any suggestion on how long to bake them for?

It just depends on how crispy you're looking for.

If you leave them in for 15-20 mins on 350, they get a nice roasted texture...i find they have a sweet taste at this point.

If you leave them in for 30-40 mins, they shrivel up into little dimes and are crunchy like potato chips.