3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Ketosis (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/249918-ketosis.html)

lindac36 01-06-2012 05:02 PM

Ketosis

How can you tell you are in ketosis? I am midway through day 4 and I really don't feel any different. I didn't have headaches or sluggishness or any 'weird' dreams or feelings. I don't have keto diastiks, but, maybe I should go get some? Or maybe just wait till my weight in on Tuesday.

Trinique125 01-06-2012 05:11 PM

I have been on the program for almost 6 week and have never had those symptoms, yet I've lost 14 lbs, never used those sticks either.

Just go by what the scale says for now is my best advice.

Marcella 01-07-2012 09:28 PM

When I did the Dr. Bernstein diet long time ago I knew I was in mitosis because my breath was brutal. I was told that was a symptom.

DanafromAustin 01-07-2012 09:32 PM

I don't use the sticks, but because I've done low carb in the past I can always tell when I'm in ketosis. This time on the diet it happened to me on the 6th day. I woke up really thirsty, bad breath and I woke up earlier than usual which is always a sign to me.

NavyMommy 01-08-2012 09:03 AM

For me, I got a really funny, metallic taste in my mouth (which was also a sign of the bad breath), but it went away. Just look at the number on the scale and you will be good. If you're following the diet to the letter there's no way you won't be in ketosis.

hmt1372 01-08-2012 09:44 AM

I think it took me until around day 6 or 7. I knew because I wasn't ravenously hungry anymore and felt energetic and just great. I didn't really notice my breath being bad until I asked my husband and he said "Oh, yeah, it's been pretty bad for a couple of days." Nice! That's when I ran out and got the cinnamon gum everyone recommended because I am talking to people all day long, don't want to assault them with my dragon breath! =)

Tmg1989 01-08-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmt1372 (Post 4162055)
I think it took me until around day 6 or 7. I knew because I wasn't ravenously hungry anymore and felt energetic and just great. I didn't really notice my breath being bad until I asked my husband and he said "Oh, yeah, it's been pretty bad for a couple of days." Nice! That's when I ran out and got the cinnamon gum everyone recommended because I am talking to people all day long, don't want to assault them with my dragon breath! =)

Be careful with the gum. Various coaches say different things about gum. Mine said a national training meeting she attended by IPD, they were told that other additives in the gum are harmful to our organs while in ketosis. I know we hear conflicting information. Just make an informed decision!

gs463 01-08-2012 10:16 AM

I am on day three and have not had any problems either. Not everyone does. You could buy the ketosis sticks but I would think you should wait until your first WI. If you are sticking to the plan you will lose weight.

lindac36 01-08-2012 03:29 PM

Thanks everyone. On the breath thing, my coach said no gum, bu she did says the Listerine strips were okay, and in a real pinch, one tic-tac

starry1672 01-14-2012 09:46 AM

Kind of odd, but I notice a smell like when you open a bottle of vitamins, when I pee now. My boyfriend says he smells it when he's close to me. Sign of ketosis?

Carrielee 01-14-2012 10:44 PM

if your staying on the diet 100% you will be in ketosis, those sticks are unnessacary.. they dont always work, like if you ahve alot of water in your pee they wont change.

Momto2cs 01-14-2012 11:45 PM

My pee also smells different-even with all the water!

Plus I find my sweat at the gym is like acid! It stings my eyes....

tsmoore71 01-15-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmt1372 (Post 4162055)

Whats the name of the cinnamon gum? Today is my 2nd day and I talk to people all day long and would like to avoid being embarass about having bad breath.

Thanks.

frazzledmom04 01-15-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsmoore71 (Post 4172601)
Whats the name of the cinnamon gum? Today is my 2nd day and I talk to people all day long and would like to avoid being embarass about having bad breath.

Thanks.

Dentyne Fire is what my coach told me I could use but that the listerine breath strips would be better.

Persistence70 01-15-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazzledmom04 (Post 4172611)
Dentyne Fire is what my coach told me I could use but that the listerine breath strips would be better.

The strips are strong and work well but they upset my stomach after using a couple of them.