Old 12-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by galpal445 View Post
I was told by my coach that everything was to be weighed raw.

But I don't weigh my meat. I "eyeball" about 8 ounces of raw meat. Cook it. Then eat as much of it as I am hungry for. Last night I ended up leaving almost a third of it on my plate because I just wasn't hungry for it anymore. I always make sure to eat my lettuce and the 2 cups of vegetables I need to eat and most times I am just too full to continue eating any more of the protein.
I measure everything and was eating the 5 ounces of meat (because I can't eat 8...learned it's typical of a lot of us to not be able to eat all the protein). Turns out I have to increase my protein to 6-8 due to muscle loss and the heart is a muscle so I'm making sure to eat my appropriate protein. Be sure to eat it all even though it can be hard. I can continue 5 oz of chicken or fish and then my coach recommended having 1 egg white to add to my protein intake>
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the info! I will start weighing the raw meat to make sure I am really starting out with 8 ounces. My eyeballs could be way off and I could very well be wrong. I could be really starting out with 10 ounces. If that is the case, then my eating only 2/3 of it would be the correct amount for me to be eating. I will see what happens next time I have meat for supper!
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #18  

I don't weigh my meat. I just eyeball it also. I've been using the serving size rule of thumb...size of a deck of cards. I realize that doesn't work will all meats, but I'll keep using it as long as I keep losing!
mamacitaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #19  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacitaof2 View Post
I don't weigh my meat. I just eyeball it also. I've been using the serving size rule of thumb...size of a deck of cards. I realize that doesn't work will all meats, but I'll keep using it as long as I keep losing!
I think the deck of cards analogy signifies 3-4 ounces of meat, cooked. The object here isn't so much to keep losing weight but to RETAIN muscle mass.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I think the deck of cards analogy signifies 3-4 ounces of meat, cooked. The object here isn't so much to keep losing weight but to RETAIN muscle mass.
So should I be eating more then? Or since it's 3-4oz of cooked meat am I ok? Should I assume thats 5-7 raw?
mamacitaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #21  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacitaof2 View Post
So should I be eating more then? Or since it's 3-4oz of cooked meat am I ok? Should I assume thats 5-7 raw?
You should(IMO) be eating more. 3-4ozs isn't enough even though it is cooked. I know some chicken breast aren't even 4 ozs when you buy them. Try to get as close to 8 oz as possible. Its the only real food you eat all day. Measure a few times then you can kinda get an idea of how much it is. A deck of card size isn't enough!!

Last edited by wuv2bloved; 01-03-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: forgot about the 8oz
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 269/236/180

Height: 5'8

I Weigh out 10 oz of uncooked protein....figured once I cook it its closer to 8...and don't think the extra 2oz wouldn't hurt... Weight loss hasn't been affected.
NewSexyMe is offline   Reply With Quote