3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Losing more muscle... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/249225-losing-more-muscle.html)

New Englander 12-28-2011 02:37 PM

Losing more muscle...

I was told today I lost two pounds of muscle in the past two weeks. My coach asked me about my protein intake and I told her I stick to 5 ounces cooked (no more/no less)...she recommended I eat more to prevent more muscle loss...

Seriously! I'm following the plan and now I have to eat more protein?? Her recommendation (which I admit is doable) is to eat my 5 ounces of chicken/fish etc. and eat a hard boiled egg white. The problem is I get full so quick and just can't stomach that much fish or chicken at once... hopefully this will fix my muscle loss problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? If not that's okay...just needed to vent...

Pamelama 12-28-2011 02:42 PM

I always have 7-8 oz of protein a day. Sometimes at lunch I'll put 2oz with my veggies, then the remainder at dinner. No muscle loss either. My coach said he's seen great results with retaining muscle this way.

New Englander 12-28-2011 02:45 PM

Would you eat an additional 2 ounces at lunch or is the 2 ounces at lunch taken from your dinner allotment?

Thanks,
Maggie

Marionm 12-28-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 4148037)
I was told today I lost two pounds of muscle in the past two weeks. My coach asked me about my protein intake and I told her I stick to 5 ounces cooked (no more/no less)...she recommended I eat more to prevent more muscle loss...

Seriously! I'm following the plan and now I have to eat more protein?? Her recommendation (which I admit is doable) is to eat my 5 ounces of chicken/fish etc. and eat a hard boiled egg white. The problem is I get full so quick and just can't stomach that much fish or chicken at once... hopefully this will fix my muscle loss problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? If not that's okay...just needed to vent...

I had this problem too. I have to increase my protein intake pretty significantly for normal life and when I dance, I have to do it more. I have a difficult time getting enough with just meat so I have used whey protein, the EAS carb control shakes or an extra packet.

Pamelama 12-28-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 4148045)
Would you eat an additional 2 ounces at lunch or is the 2 ounces at lunch taken from your dinner allotment?

Thanks,
Maggie

2oz at lunch then 5-6 oz with dinner....

Lakewood 12-28-2011 04:58 PM

Just 1 egg white doesn't seem like enough to prevent muscle loss. Can you add a packet? Or split your protein between 2 meals? Maybe 3 oz at lunch and 5 oz at dinner?

I've been coached that if you have a lot to lose (and I don't know how much you have to lose) you can add up to 2 packs a day to prevent muscle loss and fuel your body until you can go to the 'standard' 3 packs/day.

Keep us updated!

DanafromAustin 12-28-2011 05:05 PM

I've had the same problem, but thankfully when I started this plan I had a higher lean muscle mass than the average women (according to my coach) so while I've lost some muscle mass I'm still okay. I have since the beginning ate 8oz. of protein per day. I usually do 3 oz at lunch and 5 oz. at dinner. And to be perfectly honest some days I eat a little more protein if I want as I'm happy with my weight loss and like protecting my lean muscle when I can.

New Englander 12-28-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakewood (Post 4148160)
Just 1 egg white doesn't seem like enough to prevent muscle loss. Can you add a packet? Or split your protein between 2 meals? Maybe 3 oz at lunch and 5 oz at dinner?

I've been coached that if you have a lot to lose (and I don't know how much you have to lose) you can add up to 2 packs a day to prevent muscle loss and fuel your body until you can go to the 'standard' 3 packs/day.

Keep us updated!

Hi, I have about 35 pounds left to go...I just managed to eat 8 ounces of fish tonight...it was a struggle 'cause I just don't enjoy eating that much at once. (My fatness was caused by grazing high fat food!!!)

:)

New Englander 12-28-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanafromAustin (Post 4148168)
I've had the same problem, but thankfully when I started this plan I had a higher lean muscle mass than the average women (according to my coach) so while I've lost some muscle mass I'm still okay. I have since the beginning ate 8oz. of protein per day. I usually do 3 oz at lunch and 5 oz. at dinner. And to be perfectly honest some days I eat a little more protein if I want as I'm happy with my weight loss and like protecting my lean muscle when I can.

Yeah...your weight loss is impressive! :)

I'll email my coach about splitting my protein up between lunch and dinner...that sounds like a really great solution that several of you have recommended.

New Englander 12-28-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamelama (Post 4148090)
2oz at lunch then 5-6 oz with dinner....

I think that's a great idea...seems like a few of you have been splitting up your protein. I'll email my coach to see how she feels about that because it sounds like a great solution! :)

DanafromAustin 12-28-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 4148172)
Yeah...your weight loss is impressive! :)

I'll email my coach about splitting my protein up between lunch and dinner...that sounds like a really great solution that several of you have recommended.

Hope that works out. It was actually my coach who recommended splitting up the protein if I wanted. She said most women complain that 8oz can be a lot of protein at one meal.

New Englander 12-28-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanafromAustin (Post 4148186)
Hope that works out. It was actually my coach who recommended splitting up the protein if I wanted. She said most women complain that 8oz can be a lot of protein at one meal.

Mine never mentioned that to me and I appreciate learning it could be a possibility. Thanks again!

rubyrosered 12-28-2011 07:04 PM

My coach told us she went to a seminar recently where they were encouraging everyone to eat 8oz per day. I'm always amazed at how much that is and how hard it is to eat most of the time.

Paint Lady 12-28-2011 07:13 PM

I always ate 8 oz of protein at dinner, no problem. But, I love meat!

sekc14 12-28-2011 07:53 PM

I've been eating more protein lately because I was so hungry. I'm glad to know that it's okay to eat more. I've started exercising and I think this is why my appetite increased.