Old 12-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #16  

Height: 5'7'

I have had so many positive comments and compliments...and a few weird ones, as well. My friends and family practically do backflips for me - they are so supportive and helpful! My mom practically does a cheer when I WI.

The 'weird' comments come from people that I don't know as well. What I do now, is that I tell people that I eat less and move more or I'll tell them the same thing that Jennydoodle does.
stolaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #17  
Started IP 8/26/11

S/C/G: 241/179/150

Height: 5' 7"

Talking I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1962 View Post
The only people that know how much i weighed at the start of this is all of my IPers on here. Not even my boyfriend knows, or my daughters. I guess i feel no one would really understand except you guys cause you have all been there and know what it is to struggle and gain excess weight. I just feel it is one of the society rules, you dont ask people how much they weigh. Dont get me wrong, 90% of people have been very complimentary and have said very nice things, I just dont like to share to much personal information. I do get uncomfortable when i have to imply i weighed 250 lbs!!! Maybe i havent come to terms with what i did to myself yet....
I have only shared on here and if someone asks I say I cut out sugars. It took 40 lbs lost for people in the office to ask me and that made me feel bad - that no one cared enough to provide a small word of encouragement. I have all of you and my family. My jeans don't lie, I feel great and I don't care what other people think, so I am not going to tell them. They see me eating my lunch (huge salad that I love) and it is all they need to know. If they say, did you you lose weight, I just say... I'm working on it - smile and walk away.
Callmesmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 251/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Great job Callmesmall - you are so close to the onderlands!!! Keep going and i know how happy and excited you will feel when you hit it!!! It is so worth it
kelly1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 163/151/139

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmesmall View Post
I have only shared on here and if someone asks I say I cut out sugars. It took 40 lbs lost for people in the office to ask me and that made me feel bad - that no one cared enough to provide a small word of encouragement. I have all of you and my family. My jeans don't lie, I feel great and I don't care what other people think, so I am not going to tell them. They see me eating my lunch (huge salad that I love) and it is all they need to know. If they say, did you you lose weight, I just say... I'm working on it - smile and walk away.
I think it's hard for people to know what to say, even if they do notice. I think even in this forum there are people that are disappointed people didn't say something, people insulted because people said the wrong thing, and people willing to share openly what they lost and how they did it.

I've realized my own discomfort - I have a colleague who has lost weight, and I didn't feel comfortable mentioning it because she has never spoken about her weight challenges so I don't mention it out of respect for her boundaries. It's not that I don't care enough to encourage her, I just am respecting boundaries.

By contrast, I have another colleague who is very open about her path and I feel very comfortable recognizing her weight loss.

There's a double standard at work though. I think it's virtually impossible for men to mention anything about a woman's weight at work without being particularly at risk of making the environment uncomfortable for those that are more sensitive.

All in all, I think the easiest way to handle this is to celebrate our own successes and define our own boundaries! Congrats to all of you!
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #20  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

I tell them how much weight I have lost! I am really excited about this though, I don't care if they are trying to do the math.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #21  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

People who have seen my at my biggest (388+ probably) can see that I have loss weight. I have no problem telling them I have 107 gone and about 80 or so more to go and they kinda freak out. I am by no means small right now, smaller yes of course but not small. When they ask how I did it, I just tell them i put my pancreas to sleep with cutting out carbs and sugars and they are ok with that. Everyone that ask about my weight loss is excited for me so its all good with me to just tell them
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 165/136/135

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1962 View Post
The only people that know how much i weighed at the start of this is all of my IPers on here. Not even my boyfriend knows, or my daughters. I guess i feel no one would really understand except you guys cause you have all been there and know what it is to struggle and gain excess weight. I just feel it is one of the society rules, you dont ask people how much they weigh. Dont get me wrong, 90% of people have been very complimentary and have said very nice things, I just dont like to share to much personal information. I do get uncomfortable when i have to imply i weighed 250 lbs!!! Maybe i havent come to terms with what i did to myself yet....
when my boyfriend saw my ticker on this website, he was suprised at my starting weight... it was like I told him I had slept with 40+ men before him.
haha. I think I was in denial, wore clothes that hid my tummy. never weighed myself. So glad I was ready to start the program when I did, it truly was the perfect timing!!!

I will start saying, I cut out drinking, I eat clean/lean protein, with lots of veggies, and an emphasis on low carb and dairy.
leganegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 217.5/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Sometimes I joke and say I've lost and ounce or two, but say I wasn't really trying. When they ask how I did it, sometimes I tell them a strict austerity plan and sometimes I tell them low car, low cal, low fat, high protein. Then of course they say, "Atkins?" and I tell them a little about Ideal Protein and move on.

I am pretty proud of my loss, but for me (and I'm sure so many others) my weight gain was wrapped up in so much emotional turmoil in my life, that the weight loss represents so much more than just pounds on a scale. So, when someone asks about it, I do feel slightly vulnerable.
rainbowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 206/174/160

Height: 6'0"

Talking about weight/weight loss can always be a touchy subject.

It's weird - you want people to notice all of the hard work you've put into getting your weight under control, but at the same time, it's hard drawing attention to the biggest source of your insecurities.

I read an interview with Raven-Symone who had lost a significant amount of weight. She said something along the lines of "It's getting old talking about my weight all of the time. Yes, I've lost weight, but I thought I looked good before...apparently no one else did."

I can definitely relate to that statement.
sarahmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #25  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I just smile and tell them I'm condensing.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 250/171/152

Height: 5'5

You are not being over sensitive! I get the same way when someone asks about my weight loss. My answers always vary. Sometimes I'll say how much I lost, sometime I'll just lie and say I don't remember. I've even had my weight forced out of me in front of a big table of people. It was mortifying!!! I think my embarrassment may stem from my wanting people to forget how big I was.. Whatever, just know, that I know how you feel in situations like that!

As for a quick answer that will get them off your back about it; sometimes, you might just have to flat out say I don't feel comfortable talking about that.
Or you can try the "I can't remember." lol! Well good luck!
I believe in you!
Tessa
tessilette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #27  

I spent so many years honestly feeling like everybody in the world could lose weight except me that I always asked people exactly how much to inspire myself. I never considered that it could be rude, but looking at it from a different perspective you may be right. I;ll just go on looking at Before and after pictures on line~
cocoagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #28  

i wouldn't mind that question so much if it wasn't so often followed or preceded by "Wow! You look so good I didn't recognize you!!!" omg.
thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Height: 5'8"

I've been telling people that ask how much I've lost "a lot." When they ask how, I say "starvation." This seems to satisfy most everyone. Of course I can tell if it's someone that's really interested and might benefit from IP. Then I tell them the whole story.
Pauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #30  
started IP March 26, 2011

S/C/G: 236.5/ticker/155

Height: 5'7"

I've been very honest right from the start that I was on a very strict diet and I've told anyone who asked how much I'd lost to that date. If they asked how, I told them "Ideal Protein" and explained all about the program. The support I received from my co-workers was amazing. I remember the first time someone said "Wow have you ever lost a lot of weight!" My immediate response was to pat my incredible shrinking hips and say "I know! Don't I look good!" Ha!

The compliments given, along with the interest people have taken in my life changing diet is what kept me going. Maybe my openess about what I was doing inspired others to try the same. (After all, if I can lose all this weight in a relatively short time, with very little suffering, perhaps they can too!)
fae67 is offline   Reply With Quote