Old 11-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question can you juice your veggies? not V8...

I have a juicer at home, and was wondering if its possible to juice are daily veggies into ajuice which would make it easier to gag down..cause i hate veggies...nothing makes them taste good...and the texture too!! blah..
Also because im going back to work in the evenings, i want a drink to take with me..could i juice veggies and just take em to work with me at night? or do we really need the shake or whatnot at night before bed?
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:43 AM   #2  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl View Post
I have a juicer at home, and was wondering if its possible to juice are daily veggies into ajuice which would make it easier to gag down..cause i hate veggies...nothing makes them taste good...and the texture too!! blah..
Also because im going back to work in the evenings, i want a drink to take with me..could i juice veggies and just take em to work with me at night? or do we really need the shake or whatnot at night before bed?
Juicing would be the very last thing I would do with vegetables on this program because you need every possible nutrient, mineral, etc., and fiber, especially fiber. Juicing means you lose some of the nutrients under, especially if you peel a vegetable; and it virtually eliminates fiber. And I guess you really know the answer to the last question.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #3  
Restarted IP 4/29/15

S/C/G: 184/163.6/130 Date:7/14/15

Height: 5'2" Mints: 4/27: 45/39/45.5 6/1: 44/37.5/43.5 6/28: 43/36.5/43.5

Hmmmm, I wonder tho - if you add the "waste" pulp from your side container back to the resulting liquid if you would solve the fiber problem?

I'd say it's worth a shot, especially if you'd get your 4 cups veggies in that way as opposed to not doing them at all. I'd make sure to about double my romaine lettuce though, to keep everything moving. I'd eat 2 romaine hearts or 1 large head daily.

Another idea would be using a blender to puree your cooked veg down to slurry and then adding it to one of the IP soups.

Give either a try for a week and see how it goes. If you start having problems w/ the big "C", I'd go back to eating them regular.
flvamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/180/140

Height: 5'7"

Actually, juicing guarantees that you absorb nearly 100% of the vitamens and minerals, since your body doesn't have to actually digest it. Also, a good juice can have upwards of 3 grams of fiber, comparible to many meals.

I would recommend looking up recipes. They will tell you exactly how much fiber is in the juice and what you need to peel or not peel. I recommend the Mean Green Juice. Delicious and So good for you.

Of course, you should check with your coach to see if juicing is a good mix with this diet. I know it's really good for you, but I don't know if it's allowed on IP.

If you have any questions about juicing, visit www.jointhereboot.com. Lots of great info.
cassandrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I don't really know, but I don't think it is really a good idea, for a couple of reasons:

1). IP is about getting healthier and changing the way you eat. I have read that sometimes it takes up to 15 times to try a new food and acquire a taste for it. I think part of the IP process is learning to like veggies, for the long haul.

2). EATING veggies helps you feel full and satisified with the "eating" motion / chewing. If you are drinking 90% of your daily intake of calories, you are less likely to feel satisified.

3). A lot of the veggies that would actually taste good juiced are on the "not allowed" list or at the very least "restricted". Carrots, tomatoes, beets, etc... All of the sweeter veggies.

I would say, if you can do salad, start with that as your base. Grab some romaine lettuce- nice and crispy! - and built from there. Add cucumbers one week. The next week, pick something else to add to it: peppers, celery, cabbage. Try adding one thing at a time and get accustomed to the taste before you add in another.

Also, try making your own dressing with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, water and seasonings. This will help tremendously in the taste department. I don't know about you, but I can't stand WF.

I am not much of a cooked veggies person, but will eat most raw. Maybe the texture of the cooked veggies is what is bothering you as far as texture goes.

These are just my thoughts and opinions...
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #6  
Start IP 11/15/11

S/C/G: 169.2/163.8/140

Height: 5'5"

I appreciate this post. I've been looking for vegetable juice/smoothie recipes for a little vegetable variety.
soccrmom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

I don't think it's a good idea. Like Jenny said, you are training yourself to eat healthier. This isn't just a lose the weight and eat like crap again diet. If you want to go out to eat veggies are a great side compared to fries and other potatoes so why not train the taste buds now? I like way more veggies now than I ever have. You may have to eat the ones you do like now and reintroduce others time and time again before you like them but you should eat them, not drink them.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:27 AM   #8  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Here are other possibilities. Fresh spinach, if you can find it, is very good in a smoothie. Frozen rhubarb? And my favorite -- when I could get WF products i liked the blue cheese dressing and BBQ sauce as a dip for celery and green peppers. Sort of an hors d'oeuvre before dinner. So, how was day one?
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #9  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

day 1 i survived...

I felt foggy and really tired..not sick..just really exhausted..went to be super early.

I didnt have much of an appetite today, so that went in favour of the diet..im under some stress due to college paper needing to be due..so i think its why i dont feel so hungry right now.

I was able to do 3 packets, 2 litres of water and 2 cups of veg...because i didnt have an appetite, it was hard to get more than 2 cups in on top of 8 oz of protein. i made the big mac in a bowl last night..delicious

its now..day 2..and ive had a terrible nights sleep..for some reason, i have insomnia when on this diet..i never had a problem sleeping before..and then i take out carbs and all of the sudden i cant get to sleep...ive been up since 4:45 am and im hungry..but dont want to eat this early..or else i will be starving by tonight..cause i will have had to eat all my packets early..so...its a meh kind of day.. i dont feel sick..but i am craving nanaimo bars really bad right now...
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #10  
Time to take care of me!

S/C/G: 164/ See tracker :)

Height: 5'0"

Use this site to your advantage. There are some great recipes here. Also, have an open mind and try some veggies you haven't tried before. Believe me, I had never ever considered turnips, but now I add them to soups (diced, makes me think I have potatoes) or in thin slices for crunch in a salad. The challenge is how you season your veggies, many seasoning are allowed in IP. Cucumbers are my BFF for now, because I can make one cup of salad with just half a cucumber, and it's quick to fix. Yes,prepping is time consuming, but it is the key! Good luck!
xchik2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/180/140

Height: 5'7"

Although I love juicing, Jenny had some good points. Don't get rid of your juicer by any means, but maybe wait till you are in a later phase or even maintenance to add some juices to your diet.
cassandrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #12  
started IP 3/30/12

S/C/G: see ticker

Thanks for sharing this question as I have a juicer too but am also a vegetable lover. Before starting IP I would juice green veggies and then add the pulp to other meals. We did a lot of research and found a very good juicer that would ensure we did not have a lot of pulp.

I did ask my coach this question and she suggested I hold off for a bit unless juicing and then adding the pulp to a meal, such as a soup.
sanaroph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #13  
threenorns

fun fact: when you say "i hate vegetables", your brain is listening and takes that as an instruction. doesnt' matter if it's a teacher saying it or a parent or your other half or yourself - the brain cannot tell the difference.

that's why you NEVER say to a child "you're stupid" or "you're so slow" or "you're dumb" - their little brains are listening and will duly follow your instructions. that's why you keep your speech to children as motivating and uplifting and affirmative as possible.

our brains are always learning throughout life - WE grow up, but our brains don't.

instead of programming and affirming how much you hate vegetables, get with the program - start with mild vegetables like cucumbers and green beans.

instead of "omg, i HATE this texture" say (out loud!) "wow - i can tell these beans are full of fibre that will help lower my cholesterol"

instead of "carrots are disgusting!" say "carrots are loaded with beta carotene that is not only beneficial to my eyes but is an antioxidant that fights and can even reverse the effects of environmental damage and aging".

and so on.

once you're okay with the milder veggies, graduate to the more interesting stuff like mixed greens, snap peas, and cauliflower.

it won't be long before you're at the highest level - the broccoli and other cruciferous veggies, asparagus (actually a saltwater grass, not a veg, if we're going to be technical), and kale.

the moment you find yourself using negative talk, immediately switch it to something positive.

there is no benefit to perpetuating a hate of vegetables - not if your goal is a healthy life. (and think of your kids - do you want them to suffer the way you have? show them a better way).