Old 11-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #1  
Started IP Aug 9/2011

S/C/G: 266/195

Height: 5' 7"

Default New Up from Jawbone, lifestyle tracking device

I'm a self confessed geek so today I came across a new device that sounds pretty cool. It's called Up by Jawbone, its a tracking device that you wear to monitor your activity, sleep and even foods. I'd be curious how it works doing IP but I see it of more use after IP for me.

I've been religious about using the food tracker at MyFitnessPal and like that all the IP and most all of the foods I buy have been listed there, has something similar it could be a really fun device.

Since I can't tell if the mods will pull the link or not I'll say just search for "Up by Jawbone"
Y Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #2  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Same here (geek)!
I saw the Up too and I am interested! Never been interested in FitBit et al but the Up looks cool and has an iPhone app.
I am on MyFitnessPal too but never sure about their workout calories. Seem very high. I also like the idea of the sleep tracker and gentle wake.

Are you getting one?

Last edited by josey; 11-03-2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: my grammar is as scrambled as my brain today
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #3  
Started IP Aug 9/2011

S/C/G: 266/195

Height: 5' 7"

It's on my wish list but since I juts got the new 4s I'll wait a month, wife wants to upgrade her 3GS to a 4s too so need to take care of her first. Hoping about the time I'm ready to phase off I can have one though.
Y Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/151/139

Height: 5'7"

Earlier info showed it had a heart rate monitor and now there is no mention of that - I love the idea but really like wearing a heartrate monitor and my arms are only so long
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #5  
Suck it up, buttercup!

I agree, iPhone 4S comes first ;-)

I didn't even hear about the UP before today.

I am definitely going to check it out when available. Is there a monthly fee or just the $99 to buy it?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #6  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Oh my gosh! This sounds really cool. I've looked at getting a Body Bugg, but the price has always caused me to hesitate. For $100, I'm pretty sure I'd be willing to try it.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Sounds like a great Christmas gift for my son.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #8  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Ok, I read a bit more about it on their homepage (http://up.jawbone.com/). So stuff I expected doesn't work and now I am not sure if I want one.

1. It only tracks workouts that are step based i.e. running, walking. No stationary workout (weights, bike etc.). Bummer.

2. You need the iPhone to track workouts for mapping. It's not the bracelet.

3. Food: You can only take pictures of dishes and log those. It will remind you a few hours later to comment on how you feel. So you kind of get a journal of what you eat and how you feel afterwards. No calorie tracking or anything! I feel great after chocolate but it doesn't help me lose or maintain weight!

4. Inactivity reminder. You have to set the time and interval yourself. I can set any alarm and don't need the UP for that.

5. You need to plug it in to sync with the app. Huh? Jawbone has a great reputation for bluetooth equipment. WTF!?!?!

I do like the sleep tracking though but there are apps out there for that.

Hm, what do you guys think?