Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #31  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

I am so glad it's the weekend. I can got a little rest today. I still have homework and writing to do. Since it is cold I am going to start crocheting again. My weight is steady going down. I incorporated some walking yesterday and lost another pound today.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #32  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzthingaling View Post
I am so glad it's the weekend. I can got a little rest today. I still have homework and writing to do. Since it is cold I am going to start crocheting again. My weight is steady going down. I incorporated some walking yesterday and lost another pound today.
Hey there Mizzthing......glad you are still around and see that you are still losing that is great news!!.....awesome on the walking, but soon its going to be too cold to go outside!....lol
Old 10-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #33  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

I love the new pic Wuv!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 203.2/162/140

Height: 5'4"

She(WUV) always takes such good pics....doesn't she?! I have tried and I look scarey
Old 10-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Try an ounce to and ounce and a half of cider vinegar in 8 ounces of water with a little sea salt. This is good warm, too.
Hi. I haven't been on the site much lately - been so busy. Some fun travel some family commitments. This recipe is good for hunger? Sounds interesting.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyMae87 View Post
I love the new pic Wuv!!!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebee72 View Post
She(WUV) always takes such good pics....doesn't she?! I have tried and I look scarey
I only post the ones that LOOK good...hahah...trust me they aren't ALL good....I have to take like 20 before I get one I like.....lol....thanks though
Old 10-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #37  

I found this on a weight loss support thread and thought I would share it because they are some of us that are obsessed with the scale...its long but wanted to share, it was posted originally by Buttercup85

Why The Scale Lies...

We've been told over an over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet many of us can't resist peeking at that number every morning. If you just can't bring yourself to toss the scale in the trash, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the scale.

A single teaspoon of salt contains over 2,000 mg of sodium. Generally, we should only eat between 1,000 and 3,000 mg of sodium a day, so it's easy to go overboard. Sodium is a sneaky substance. You would expect it to be most highly concentrated in salty chips, nuts, and crackers. However, a food doesn't have to taste salty to be loaded with sodium. A half cup of instant pudding actually contains nearly four times as much sodium as an ounce of salted nuts, 460 mg in the pudding versus 123 mg in the nuts. The more highly processed a food is, the more likely it is to have a high sodium content.

That's why, when it comes to eating, it's wise to stick mainly to the basics: fruits, vegetables, lean meat, beans, and whole grains. Be sure to read the labels on canned foods, boxed mixes, and frozen dinners. Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. Pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking plenty of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.

Another factor that can influence the scale is glycogen. Think of glycogen as a fuel tank full of stored carbohydrate. Some glycogen is stored in the liver and some is stored the muscles themselves. This energy reserve weighs more than a pound and it's packaged with 3-4 pounds of water when it's stored. Your glycogen supply will shrink during the day if you fail to take in enough carbohydrates. As the glycogen supply shrinks you will experience a small imperceptible increase in appetite and your body will restore this fuel reserve along with it's associated water. It's normal to experience glycogen and water weight shifts of up to 2 pounds per day even with no changes in your calorie intake or activity level. These fluctuations have nothing to do with fat loss, although they can make for some unnecessarily dramatic weigh-ins if you're prone to obsessing over the number on the scale.

Otherwise rational people also tend to forget about the actual weight of the food they eat. For this reason, it's wise to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you've had anything to eat or drink. Swallowing a bunch of food before you step on the scale is no different than putting a bunch of rocks in your pocket. The 5 pounds that you gain right after a huge dinner is not fat. It's the actual weight of everything you've had to eat and drink. The added weight of the meal will be gone several hours later when you've finished digesting it.

Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn. In other words, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, it would have to contain a whopping 17,500 calories. This is not likely, in fact it's not humanly possible. So when the scale goes up 3 or 4 pounds overnight, rest easy, it's likely to be water, glycogen, and the weight of your dinner. Keep in mind that the 3,500 calorie rule works in reverse also. In order to lose one pound of fat you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in. Generally, it's only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. When you follow a very low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it's physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you're really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle.

This brings us to the scale's sneakiest attribute. It doesn't just weigh fat. It weighs muscle, bone, water, internal organs and all. When you lose "weight," that doesn't necessarily mean that you've lost fat. In fact, the scale has no way of telling you what you've lost (or gained). Losing muscle is nothing to celebrate. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even when you're just sitting around. That's one reason why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue.

Robin Landis, author of "Body Fueling," compares fat and muscles to feathers and gold. One pound of fat is like a big fluffy, lumpy bunch of feathers, and one pound of muscle is small and valuable like a piece of gold. Obviously, you want to lose the dumpy, bulky feathers and keep the sleek beautiful gold. The problem with the scale is that it doesn't differentiate between the two. It can't tell you how much of your total body weight is lean tissue and how much is fat. There are several other measuring techniques that can accomplish this, although they vary in convenience, accuracy, and cost. Skin-fold calipers pinch and measure fat folds at various locations on the body, hydrostatic (or underwater) weighing involves exhaling all of the air from your lungs before being lowered into a tank of water, and bioelectrical impedance measures the degree to which your body fat impedes a mild electrical current. If the thought of being pinched, dunked, or gently zapped just doesn't appeal to you, don't worry. The best measurement tool of all turns out to be your very own eyes. How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success. If you are exercising and eating right, don't be discouraged by a small gain on the scale. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. Expect them to happen and take them in stride. It's a matter of mind over scale.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
No one at this party knows I'm on IP either. But I'm going to bring some chicken and we were asked to bring a dish to share, so I'm going to bring a veggie plate with dip. Of course I'll skip the dip, but figure the chicken and cut up veggies should be perfect and fill me up.
A veggie plate with dip is what I always bring now. Before IP when I was trying to be good I would bring a fruit plate. Now that I'm down 37 pounds I see the error of my old ways. My original IP goal was 30 lbs. but when I actually started losing weight regularly I readjusted it. The world says to eat more "fruits and vegetables" like they're the same thing. For some of us it should be, "eat more vegetables." It is hard sometimes to be in the real world when on plan and sometimes it's not. While I was losing the first 15 - 20 pounds I avoided a lot of the tempting situations. I was recovering from shoulder surgery so it worked out well. But then I had to get back into the world if I wanted to have a social life. I find my veggie plates are very popular!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #39  
Bringing Sexy Back!

S/C/G: 164/127/135

Height: 5'3"

Ah, Wuv, thanks for that piece on weighing every day and why our bodies fluctuate so much. I think it's time for me to actually hide the scale in the closet rather than keeping it out in the bathroom.

Things are good here in San Francisco- beautiful fall weather and having fun hosting friends in town. We went on a great, low key hike yesterday and their visit finally motivated me to paint my living room. It's now a nice, relaxing warm grey color.

Funny story- my boyfriend said to me, "Allison, I don't want to offend you but I have to tell you something." I got a little nervous and braced myself, and he said, "your breath has been a little stinky the past few days." I laughed and got all excited and happy, which thoroughly confused him, and explained that it must mean that I'm in ketosis. He thought it was funny too, but poor guy has to deal with my yucky breath! haha...

Off to meal plan for the next few days...
Old 10-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #40  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzyizzy View Post
Ah, Wuv, thanks for that piece on weighing every day and why our bodies fluctuate so much. I think it's time for me to actually hide the scale in the closet rather than keeping it out in the bathroom.

Things are good here in San Francisco- beautiful fall weather and having fun hosting friends in town. We went on a great, low key hike yesterday and their visit finally motivated me to paint my living room. It's now a nice, relaxing warm grey color.

Funny story- my boyfriend said to me, "Allison, I don't want to offend you but I have to tell you something." I got a little nervous and braced myself, and he said, "your breath has been a little stinky the past few days." I laughed and got all excited and happy, which thoroughly confused him, and explained that it must mean that I'm in ketosis. He thought it was funny too, but poor guy has to deal with my yucky breath! haha...

Off to meal plan for the next few days...
I am always worried about my breath so I keep gum on me usually. My boys have made comments about it so if I go anywhere I am always prepared. Never know when or who you will meet while you are out
Old 10-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #41  
IP Start Date Oct. 15/11

S/C/G: 270.3 / 189.8 / 160

It has been a CRAZY day. Trying to get ready to have the whole family over tomorrow for our youngest who turns 7 on Halloween. Our little Pumpkin Been running all over town, my sis (who is flying in from Saskatchewan) is also on IP so I will have a great partner tomorrow while the other 25+ will eat the rest...lol Have a great weekend everyone, hopefully I will "see" you on Monday
Old 10-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #42  

Height: 5 ft. 3 in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemary2612 View Post
This is delicious = take your own skewer to make sure it can accommodate your dinner. Put chicken chunks alternating with peppers, mushrooms, chunks of zucchini, celery, cauliflower, and broccoli if you like. Or just pick a couple. Season it with herbs and sea salt. Sometimes I will sprinkle Teriyaki sauce on it. No one would ever suspect it is diet food. Have fun.
Sounds delicious! Have you tried the WF asian? It is really good!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

NSV, finished baking didn't eat one NOR did I lick my hands. It was buttercream icing...kept wiping my fingers off on paper towel.

Piping icing isn't as easy as I though...ha ha ha!

Stay strong through the next couple of days, luckily I am away on halloween so I don't have to buy the candy.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #44  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
NSV, finished baking didn't eat one NOR did I lick my hands. It was buttercream icing...kept wiping my fingers off on paper towel.

Piping icing isn't as easy as I though...ha ha ha!

Stay strong through the next couple of days, luckily I am away on halloween so I don't have to buy the candy.
GOOD JOB!!!!!....I am NOT buying candy!!.....lol
Old 10-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #45  

Default Op

Quick check in before I go watch a football game with my husband. Wanted to report an OP day with water and veggies. I had my bar this morning but am craving another one,.......not gonna do it though. Thought about trying the pudding cakes I hear people talk about......any other suggestions? Or maybe make my chocolate shake a hot chocolate.

Wuv.....thanks for sharing about the scale. And thanks to those of you last night who were encouraging me on here.....I really appreciate it!
Closed Thread