3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   The Maintainers, vol 2. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/245641-maintainers-vol-2-a.html)

jennydoodle 12-17-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maile (Post 4140479)
I was given a book called Eating For Life by Bill Phillips. What interested me was his explanation as to why you should have a free day every week. He mentions that a free day will increase your leptin hormone levels which will stimulate your metabolism and lower your appetite.
"Now there are numerous psychological benefits to the free day. For starters people find that they can live without their old favorites like unhealthy deserts, candy bar and fries, most of the time if they know they can eat them some of the time. This helps people stay on track and creates a positive mindset.
Another benefit of the free day is that it creates freedom. Freedom from unrealistic rules as well as the freedom to make decisions for yourself. The free day creates openess, honesty and self respect. You see all healthy people have needs and cravings that should be expressed not suppressed.
There are two types of free days. planned and unplanned. When you have an unplanned day then you just call it your free day and get back to healthy eating for the next 6 days.
"Having had the opportunity to help so many thousands of people, I have noticed that at first their free days become feasts. However, what they discover is when you eat right for six days a week, and then you pig out once a week, it really hurts. Stomachaches are the rule. And this becomes a learning experience. Psychologists call it "aversion therapy."
Free days tend to become self regulating, self limiting, and part of the overall solution, not part of the problem. They teach you to manage your food intake. and this is something that I point out to those who are so concerned that their free days will be so out of control, it will cause them to gain fat. I haven't seen that become a real issue, long term. So don't worry about it. Even I have learned that there are only so many Krispy Kreme doughnuts I can eat before I make myself sorry.
The free day has been one of the key to my maintaining for over a decade."

Being a control neurotic about food, I wonder about the unplanned free days. But I was very interested to read that eventually free days become self regulating, where you start to control the food you eat.

I have that book also, and I definitely remember reading this. Thanks for the refresher, and I couldn't agree more!

Linden 12-17-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maile (Post 4140479)
I was given a book called Eating For Life by Bill Phillips. What interested me was his explanation as to why you should have a free day every week.

Thanks a whole lot for sharing. Edit. I just realized the thread is well over 500 posts.

Determinedat47 12-17-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandyh50 (Post 4140402)
I was so thrilled to see you yesterday! Thanks so much for the 100 cal pack almonds, I need to order some! You look fantastic Brenda. Sorry I couldn't visit more but we had to get on the bus for the Christmas program. ONe of my students asked me if you were my sister!

We are ideal protein sisters! I knew you were rushed. The front office people told me what was going on but I needed to drop those off right then or it wouldn't get done. Enjoy the almonds! You look great too!

ItsAboutTime 12-18-2011 09:17 AM

Well feel like I belong here now since I've been seeing the same number on the scale for 3 days. It doesn't matter if I try to eat a little less or a little more, it's not budging. I even took the batteries out of my scale to "zero it out" thinking it was wrong. ;) I am stuck at 153.4. Which is better than 204.8 right!?! If I can maintain this until I get home Jan. I'll still be over my 50lb loss and still have under 20lbs to lose when I restart. Trying to keep positive.

I have 3 days left of phase 3 and then will move on to maintenance just in time for my nephews birthday party Thurs and then Christmas parties with family Fri, Sat, and Sun. I'm a little worried but I'll survive.

I had a heart to heart with my hubby last night and I thought I'd tell you ladies too because it's something I need to get out. I'm having inner battles with my head and I'm sure some of you can relate. I keep telling myself, "You only have 2 weeks of maintenance before going strict again so enjoy yourself." I think you can decode "enjoy yourself" better than my hubby because he's never been here. He's always been able to eat whatever and not gain a thing. I think, "what's another 5 pounds on top of the 20 you are planning to lose anyway. You've done 50 so you can do 25." But then I tell myself, "You have your annual exam the day after you get back and your dr is going to s#!% if you keep it all off so do your best. Food is so not worth it." When I was talking to my husband about this part he said, "Your dr is going to s#!% either way because you are at least 25lbs less than you've ever been since you started going to her 10 years ago." I think he thought it would help but I think it made it worse. ;)

So, that's where I am. I am going to go try running in a bit once my breakfast settles. I wasn't able to Friday because I did ALL of my Christmas shopping after work and then yesterday I had trouble with my leg. I've been having trouble since my run Wed. but kept running through it and I think that made it worse. If I can't run I'll walk as fast as I can. I will not go over 154 pounds! I am determined!

Maile 12-18-2011 09:58 AM

Sandy: Keep teliing yourself you are learning..you are not out of control forever, You are learning how to keep your body healthy. Is your stress is less now that school is out? He makes the free day a positive thing to learn from. We can do it also. I still have a lot to learn about that Free day.

Jennydoodle..It is an interesting book and some of the recipes look good. Note he focuses on protein every meal and wants you to eat 6 meals a day. Too much for me. I was pleased to read that he said exercising on an empty stomach burns off more fat..as that is what I do!

Itsabouttime: Keep strong and hold on to that 153. Somehow we all get into those thoughts that we will never get to eat these trigger foods again and that we must have them..maybe even must have them to celebrate the holidays. Try really planning and choosing a free day soon. Then tell yourself that you can have anything you want on that day.
However, I understand your frustration when the scale stays the same. Your over 50 pound loss is truly something to treasure and to celelebrate! You have done so well!!!! Good luck today.

Each day I tell myself I am holding out until Xmas day.

Today I discovered that pumpkin has only 40 calories in a half cup and 9 carbs. So I am substituting pumpkin for my morning raspberries and making pumpkin low carb pancakes. Then I found a recipe where you mix pumpkin with pancake syrup and pumpkin spice and put that on the pancake. Sounds yummy.

Linden..I don't know what to do about the posts. Only 8 days to Hi.

2ride..I am eyeing those Keurig coffee flavors. They look incredible.

sandyh50 12-18-2011 10:26 AM

Good morning all! I had my scrapbook ladies/Christmas get together and I was still out of control with my eating. So I called my sis in law and she talked to me a great deal and I feel better, basically just get back to a phase 1 day and go from there. I like being in ketosis better!!! The ladies brought so many goodies and then I got that "I blew it again" attitude. I will be strong, it really is a choice.

ItsAboutTime 12-18-2011 10:54 AM

So at my mom's family Christmas we always do soups and sandwiches. That's cool, I may have to up my water due to sodium but shouldn't be carby. Then Eric's family decided they are doing soup also. We are also thinking maybe a taco bar because the kids won't eat the soups his mom makes...too spicy. So, I could get away with a taco salad if we do that. Then my dad's side (my parent have been divorced since I was 5) now decided to do soups and appetizers also. No carby potatoes and side dishes. This is a good thing right? I will just stay away from crackers and carb loaded appetizers and just eat a lil turkey and cheese with no bread. I think I can!

Pauley 12-18-2011 12:22 PM

Its about time - you are lucking into some good food at family parties! You are going to be able to make it through without gaining!

I feel like I gained 5 lbs last night alone. I indulged in every sugary treat that was offered and there were many. I was so full when I got home I couldn't even take a full breath. We'll see how many phase 1 days it takes to make up for the ultimate free day I had. I do think I can skip the fudge, cookies and pie next week after tasting everything yesterday.

Maile - how do you make the low carb pumpkin pancakes? I would love to try those.

Linden 12-18-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsAboutTime (Post 4141126)
So at my mom's family Christmas we always do soups and sandwiches. That's cool, I may have to up my water due to sodium but shouldn't be carby. Then Eric's family decided they are doing soup also. We are also thinking maybe a taco bar because the kids won't eat the soups his mom makes...too spicy. So, I could get away with a taco salad if we do that. Then my dad's side (my parent have been divorced since I was 5) now decided to do soups and appetizers also. No carby potatoes and side dishes. This is a good thing right? I will just stay away from crackers and carb loaded appetizers and just eat a lil turkey and cheese with no bread. I think I can!

This sounds almost ideal. Very, very best of luck. And Pauley, I read your cautionary tale and hope I got the message. For the most part my family and friends aren't big sweets eaters and celebrations tend more toward solid (stolid?) food. But I'm invited to a birthday party tomorrow night and I happen to know the person who's giving it (and her mother, and father) have been baking and roasting for the last 2 days. Give me strength. (It's the custom here for the birthday person to throw the party and the parties are lavish.

Ruthxxx 12-18-2011 01:33 PM

Thread length exceeded. Please start e new thread.