Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #376  

Height: 5'7'

Hi all. I am new this is 'maintainer' group. I have been doing Ph 3 since last Sunday and have really liked it. My coach, who has always been helpful, is NOT helpful with prepping me for Ph 4.

I understand that lunch is poor in carbs and dinner I will add a carbs and make sure I am low in fat....that makes sense. What I don't know is when I can have fruit besides breakfast. I love having berries at breakfast, but am I limited to eating fruit the rest of the day? I have worked hard for each pound that is off my body and I want to keep it that way. I'm starting to get stressed out about Ph 4 because the paperwork from IP is vague and so is my coach.

For anyone on maintenance, can you give me a snapshot of what a typical day looks like for you? Maybe I am stressing for no reason.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #377  

I just went up to the stickies and clicked on the archived maintainers thread, a lot of meal ideas and recipes for phase 4.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:08 AM   #378  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolaf View Post
I love having berries at breakfast, but am I limited to eating fruit the rest of the day? I have worked hard for each pound that is off my body and I want to keep it that way. I'm starting to get stressed out about Ph 4 because the paperwork from IP is vague and so is my coach.
My Phase 4 explanation sheets say that, in addition to 1 portion of fruit at breakfast, you can have fruit for a snack OR for dinner.

If I knew how to attach an excel spreadsheet I'd send you what I'm eating.

Last edited by Linden; 12-05-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #379  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Linden: That sounds like a good plan for your Xmas visit. There is always Phase 1 to return to. Good luck on the bread reduction. I think Pixl is still on her vacation. Myabe you wil eat sauerbraten..isn't that a somewhat healthy dish?
I think keeping the carbs at 35 and under for breakfast is a good idea.

Sunnymae. I can totally understand your 5 pound frustration. I am trying to keep within 5 pounds and you can feel the difference when you start going up. Getting to size 4 is quite an accomplishment.

stolaf: I am a berry lover also and am enjoying raspberries and blueberries in the morning. I think Linden is right about the fruit for a snack and at dinner. As for me, I am taking Phase 4 cautiously. I eat the Phase 3 breakfast,,yogurt, berries, cereal, pb and then eat Phase 2 low carb lunch and dinner..and add a small carb at dinner...ie sweet potato or black beans, I have not added fruit again. I have added other vegetables.
I would just experiment and add a second fruit and see what it does.

Sandy..there are tons of ideas in the archives! Lots of material to go through.
Are you in Phase 4?

Jennydoodle..that is interesting about the wheat and retention. I am going to see if I notice a difference.

Last edited by Maile; 12-05-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #380  
Maintaining-March, 2011

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymae View Post
Hi Guys
Sorry I've been MIA for a coupla weeks. I had a lot of work and a big show to get ready for. Kinda consumes me. I also had a hard time by missing the holiday challenge. It's very hard for me to do things from the side. One of my shortcomings. So next time we have one (New Years to Valentines Day???) I will sign up on time so I can feel part of the group. I need to be in a group, like all the time, to stick with this.
I'm keeping my maintenance weight at 127-128 but can't seem to lose these 5 lbs that would get me back into my size 4's which I was really enjoying. I've put on a lot of leg and stomach weight. Isn't this crazy? Talking about 5 lbs? I know...someone might be reading this and thinking...what the **** is her problem. Don't really know how to answer that one, except I have never had thin legs, finally I did, and I loved how comfortable and lanky it felt to have that room in the pants legs and the lightness in my walk. I'll get there. I'll just have to give it a real push and curb my carbs/calories and up the exercise.
Have a great day everyone.
Hey Sunny,

I know just what you mean. I look in the mirror and think Uh Oh, I'm gaining weight. Then I try on a pair of pants and they fit, but maybe a little tight. Then I get on the scale and...I'm right at my goal weight!? I have always carried my weight in my limbs and lower body and I think my body is adjusting. I too like having thinner limbs. I worry that I will have to lose more weight to get that feeling but my ribs are already showing. I am still doing pilates 3-4 times per week. I think years of body image issues are coloring my perceptions. I am thankful that I am where I am.
I am planning to do my post-holiday phase I reboot in January. I would join a challenge then.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #381  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Hi Stolaf, I'm sorry I didn't have time to type this this morning. Here's my menu for the day except I think I'm not going to have the potato. I, too, am going very cautiously into 4. T

BREAKFAST
5 g nofat cream cheese, 125 g nofat peach yogurt, and 50 g nofat cottage cheese, mixed together (lovely)
1 T peanut butter
1/2 slice oat bread with sunflower seeds
1 hard boiled egg
(This is what I set out to eat. Today's the puppy-for-life's birthday so, hum, a little got shared.)

LUNCH
272 g Belgium endive *5.5 C so = veg plus salad
46 g cider vinegar
3 oz catfish

DINNER
100 g spinach
136 g potato
140 g chicken breast

SNACK
25 g whey isolate protein

1120 calories
119.9 g protein
79.42 g carbohydrates
33.64 g fat
15.74 g sugar

15.9 g fiber
1190 mg calcium*
564.5 mg magnesium*
4134 mg potassium*
698 g sodium plus a little sea salt on the egg and endive
ABOUT 110 g water
* includes supplements
Old 12-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #382  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauley View Post
Sorry to hear that! Are you tracking everything in MFP or something similar? I find that accounting for EVERY bite I put in my mouth is helping. This is such a hard time of year for weight gain! You could always hit Phase 1 for a tune up, either now or in January. I'm starting back in Jan for a 10 lb refresher on Phase 1 and I think a few others are as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
I am sorry you are going through a hard time. Would it help to get inspired with reading posts here or other places? Fatsecret and Sparkpeople have lots of inspirational groups as well.
This is a very stressful time of the year. We are bombarded with celebrations, social events, and memories of food in previous years.
Are you getting any exercise? Hope today goes well for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinedat47 View Post
Sorry you are struggling. You have been such an inspiration. One thought- you used to be SO active on this site. The thing that I found to be the most beneficial about weight watchers years ago was the commeradere and support. When you were here every day, you seemed to be very successful. I know that although I don't post real often, I check in here every day and it helps. Maybe you could try to be more active on these threads for awhile and that would help. I know I sure miss hearing about your struggles/ triumphs/ fun vacations/etc. Hope to see you here more often.

It is so weird how we really true know what to do....but doing it is another thing. I am very good phase 1ish about 3 days a week, but then I am okay phase 3ish another day and then 3 days of very badness.....mostly social and involving alcohol. When I have 5-6 good days in a row.....the 7 pounds are gone so I know it is fluid retention for the most part.

I have maintained active...I have kept up my weight training routine.....it will be a full year in the middle of January. I try to walk about 5 days a week. I am going for two and a half weeks of good starting today. I am going to Austin Texas for Christmas to see my daughter and I want to enjoy all the yummyness of Austin I have heard about.

I totallly agree that checking in on this site makes me more accountable. So I will try to do that more often.

I hope everyone else is well. I am looking forward to phase 1/2 from New Year's to Valentine's Day.

Stay well everyone
Old 12-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #383  

Thanks to those of you who shared what you are eating in maintenance. I read through the life after Ph 1 sticky and I'm almost through the first maintenance sticky and from what I am reading many people have anxiety moving into maintenance.

Phase 1 - 3 have been easy to follow because it's very black and white. I feel like Phase 4 is a whole lot of gray area! I'm getting slightly less anxious but just don't want to gain anything.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #384  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

Wow! It's great to see it has been so busy on here over the weekend!
woolberger- you crack me up! Cyclamates! Thank you for making me not feel so bad about being absolutely hooked on SF syrup
To you and sunnymae- my legs from mid-thigh down I like. From that point up, well, that's what makes the siren song of Phase 1 in the New Year so loud
jennydoodle- glad you enjoyed the Larabars!
maile- I really enjoyed your story about the potatoes. Because it was good on a multitude of levels. From packing all those pounds in and then taking them out and giving them away for good. Loved it. Good for you!
stolaf- for almost the first month I only incorporated my carb in the evening every second to third day due to paranoia . I still try to stick with soup that has barley or rice in it or low cal/ low carb bun or tortilla. Just within the past few weeks have I started to add in a fruit after supper as 'dessert'. I've always had it at breakfast and still do. Have mad love for greek yogurt parfaits- I'm trying to tempt myself into having oatmeal but can't seem to bear the thought of a parfait with no granola. I do split my Phase 3 breakfast into 2 parts, eating my yogurt parfait and then having toast with natural pb and WF jelly about 2.5 hours later. 99% of the time it's salad for lunch... Greek or warm spinach or lite caesar or garden with cheddar- they all have some type of hard cheese. Bar for a snack (only IP for the first couple months but have started to use other brands now). Hope this helps but it is a fairly subjective sort of thing which is why it's so 'gray' in the outline from IP- it's really up to you and your tastes/ metabolism. Check out MyFitnessPal to see what your optimal caloric intake should be to maintain your weight and log, log, log what you eat. It keeps you accountable and aware of what you're eating. My daily intake is usually between 1500-1700...
Old 12-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #385  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
I think Linden is right about the fruit for a snack and at dinner. As for me, I am taking Phase 4 cautiously. I eat the Phase 3 breakfast,,yogurt, berries, cereal, pb and then eat Phase 2 low carb lunch and dinner..and add a small carb at dinner...ie sweet potato or black beans, I have not added fruit again. I have added other vegetables.
I would just experiment and add a second fruit and see what it does.

Jennydoodle..that is interesting about the wheat and retention. I am going to see if I notice a difference.
Maile- I am following maintenance with the same cautiousness that you are and are pretty much doing the same thing- a modified P3 menu. I haven't have a full out cheat day since Thanksgiving. And quite frankly, I am little nervous about it because I felt pretty awful the day after.

Oh- my paper work says the same thing about fruit at dinner or as a snack in the evening.

I would love to know if you notice a difference with the lack of wheat. I think that I never noticed it as bad before because it was always in my system. But now that it has been cut out for months, WOW! What a difference. It also makes having a cheat day harder because all the foods that I would want to "cheat" with: pizza, pasta or pastries all contain flour and wheat. And it is almost not worth the effects it has on my system.

A couple of random thoughts regarding maintenance:
- I think that the reason that the paper work is vague regarding P4 is because it is more of a trial and error "phase" for us. And it is supposed to be more of a healthy living and lifestyle. If you ever notice "normal" people, they do not count every gram of everything they put in their mouth. If they have a big meal at one meal, they will just cut back at others. Or if they know they are going to a party that night, they eat moderately and lightly the rest of the day. I think it is all about moderation and balance and finding what works for you. It's not about hitting exactly 50 grams of carbs at breakfast.
- I have been roughly applying this logic to myself and trying to find that balance. If I know I am going to go out and have a big lunch with a client, then I scale back at breakfast and dinner. Is it the "exact guidelines" of P4? No, but it works for me and I have been maintaining my weight without issue. Or if I know I am going to have a dessert after dinner, I pass on the carb at dinner and enjoy a small treat. I really do think it is all about finding YOUR balance.

What do you guys think? Am I way off base or do you agree? But after reading through the paperwork and Dr. Tren's book, this is what I came away with.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #386  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Another random thought to add to my others:

- I think the other key thing is if you do go all out and enjoy yourself, if you get back on track immediately, I think makes all the difference in the world.

Not too long ago, if I had a "bad" meal, I let it turn into a whole day of "well, I already ate __________, I might as well just have __________ too" and then that would turn into, "well, I might as well just wait until Monday to get back on track since today is blown" and then (1) meal could be 1,2,3 weeks of off plan eating before I would finally get back on track.

Now I feel so much more in control that I won't let (1) night at a party or event turn into days and days of not being healthy. I know I can enjoy that event and then go right back to healthy eating the very next meal. It doesn't have to be a downward spiral.

I find this to be the case for all of the people I know who are normal / average weight. They enjoy everything in moderation but they don't let 1 night out turn into weeks of splurging. If anything, they usually cut back for a day or two after to make up for the splurge.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:19 AM   #387  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydoodle View Post
Another random thought to add to my others:

- I think the other key thing is if you do go all out and enjoy yourself, if you get back on track immediately, I think makes all the difference in the world.

Not too long ago, if I had a "bad" meal, I let it turn into a whole day of "well, I already ate __________, I might as well just have __________ too" and then that would turn into, "well, I might as well just wait until Monday to get back on track since today is blown" and then (1) meal could be 1,2,3 weeks of off plan eating before I would finally get back on track.

Now I feel so much more in control that I won't let (1) night at a party or event turn into days and days of not being healthy. I know I can enjoy that event and then go right back to healthy eating the very next meal. It doesn't have to be a downward spiral.

I find this to be the case for all of the people I know who are normal / average weight. They enjoy everything in moderation but they don't let 1 night out turn into weeks of splurging. If anything, they usually cut back for a day or two after to make up for the splurge.

i totally agree that the maintenance is not so "cut and dry". We need to see what works for us. I know what works for me....I was able to maintain for about 6 months, but the last month or so has gotten me. So I need to pull it back in for a few weeks. I think that this is what maintenance is about....keeping control. I think that when we run from what is happening that is not good. I am going to check back in here daily to help me regain some momenteum.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:52 AM   #388  

When I started IP, I was completely addicted to this site because I found so much inspiration and information. In Sept/Oct I was distracted/busy and didn't get on here as much until I got ready for Ph 3 and now moving into Ph4, I need all the information and 'war stories' that everyone shares on here.

I am so grateful to all of you for sharing your stories and your perspective as we all go through this journey together. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #389  

Height: 5'4"

I posted this in the "experienced" thread also but I thought I'd post it here to see if any of you can help me.

I put together 6 meals with what I have to work with and came perfect or under everything except protein (which I consider great) but I have one dilemma, I am low in calories. Is that ok? I go anywhere from 350-414 but most are around 390. I will go over the other things if I add anything. I only plugged in bananas and oranges but if I find plums or something I will do some figuring Wed night after I go fruit shopping. Thanks for listening to my never ending confusion.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #390  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'3"

Wheat causes me inflammatory weight gain for sure. I'm still very guarded about eating it. Never quite took to the toast in ph 3 or even now. I tried it,but it just doesn't feel right for me. I even go from full out ph 4 breakfasts, to like this morning, having an IP alternative cold cereal with mixed berries, 1T of flax seed and almond milk. Some days I just don't want the whole shebang of food.
Stolaf...I should try maybe having another piece of breakfast an hour or two later like you do as an experiment and see how that feels. I've never done that.
Jennydoodle totally right on about not going all or nothing on a splurge and getting right back on, not even the next day but the very next meal if it wasn't a planned free day. I've done that several times. It teaches me balance and it does imitate the habits of people with healthier eating habits for sure.

Last night I actually had black beans (for some reason beans scare me for weight gain) but I have to say...they were amazing and I think I just busted thru that paranoia. G-d it's funny...these thoughts we have about what's going to do us in. Even healthy stuff. It's still about portion. There must be something in beans that my body just inhaled. So I'll be using them more as a food choice. I would not mix that with a flour tortilla though...for me, that would be instant bloat.
Have a good one everybody
Closed Thread