3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

More strict rules at my clinic! wow!

Old 10-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #16

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Interesting to see what everyone had to say about this. My coach does ask me to fill out a journal each day and bring it in on my WI day. Her only reason for that is see what I have done that perhaps stopped me from loosing any weight that week. But since I have lost every week so far, she only looked at it at the first weigh in. She does take my measurements every week and also checks to see what my BMI is and to see what my lean muscle count is. After the first week she made some adjustments to my plan and it got me going in the right direction. I can see asking a client to leave after a few cheats. No sense in wasting anyone's time or money.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #17

S/C/G: 144/120/122

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyswan View Post
My coach told me that at the last training seminar (a month or two ago??) they were instructed to discontinue services to a client who cheated two times. I haven't asked her if she's followed through. I was also asked to keep a food journal. I HATED the discipline of it all (but if I had known how to successfully lose weight, I wouldn't have needed IP, would I?!) So, I did it their way and it was the formula to success. Final thought -- it didn't work when I did it my way, it worked doing it their way.
That's been the rule since about 2008, so it's not a new concept, but it still shouldn't be presented as a threat...that's Motivation 101. Amen to following the rules and achieving success, sister.

Lilivonshtupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:17 AM   #18

S/C/G: 219/219/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilivonshtupp View Post
That's been the rule since about 2008, so it's not a new concept, but it still shouldn't be presented as a threat...that's Motivation 101. Amen to following the rules and achieving success, sister.
I left my coach (she is a cardiologist) after 2 months because I wasn't losing quickly enough. Every week that I lost less than 3 lbs. she would yell at me, and I mean YELL. She would take me into a separate room and shout, one time insisting that I should look into getting therapy. I have to qualify all of this with - I had not cheated once. Not once. I was following protocol to the letter, but I'm hypothyroid, with no gallbladder and a Type II diabetic and I just lose slower. So on those weeks when I only lost 1.2 lbs, even though my inches lost were considerable, she would yell and threaten to fire me from the protocol. And then the front desk person would remind me as she handed me my expensive boxes of food in front of a lobby full of people - don't cheat this week or we'll have to fire you!!! Of course they were rigorous about our journals, they practically counted the hairs on our heads to see if they could find some extra weight there. It was so unpleasant. If she had been nice, or even civil, I wouldn't have left and I'd probably be at goal by now. But it's been hard to get the IP food sometimes online, and I don't manage as well without the accountability. But I had to leave her, I dreaded going and I'd leave red faced and shaking.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:14 AM   #19

S/C/G: 312/274/180

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by esammy12 View Post
Every week that I lost less than 3 lbs. she would yell at me, and I mean YELL. She would take me into a separate room and shout, one time insisting that I should look into getting therapy. I have to qualify all of this with - I had not cheated once. Not once. I was following protocol to the letter, but I'm hypothyroid, with no gallbladder and a Type II diabetic and I just lose slower. .
That's not a coach. That is an evil "heart" doctor without a heart.

I agree with keeping a journal (it helps a true coach see if there is anything to adjust to better help weight loss...which might even mean an additional packet), but unless there is no weight loss, it shouldnt be a threat, just an additional tool to help you get the most for your money.

I have NEVER found yelling or bullying to work when dieting. I am so grateful that my wife has never...not once...nagged me about losing weight and has always been supportive of my past attempts. When I finally was able to decide for myself that I need to do it, it happened. I am also happy to have coaches who use positive reinforcement and honesty rather than threats.

The worst about this story is that you would leave the clinic feeling worse about yourself when you did everything according to protocol. Why shame someone who is doing everything right? Because the coach wouldnt listen to you and offer SUPPORT instead of panic.

Glad you are still trying to stay on the program. It works.

"Like" My Facebook Page to Get Weekly New Ideal Protein Phase 1 Friendly Recipies with Pix
http://www.facebook.com/idealproteinlohja
FinnSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #20

Height: 5 ft. 3 in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esammy12 View Post
I left my coach (she is a cardiologist) after 2 months because I wasn't losing quickly enough. Every week that I lost less than 3 lbs. she would yell at me, and I mean YELL. She would take me into a separate room and shout, one time insisting that I should look into getting therapy. I have to qualify all of this with - I had not cheated once. Not once. I was following protocol to the letter, but I'm hypothyroid, with no gallbladder and a Type II diabetic and I just lose slower. So on those weeks when I only lost 1.2 lbs, even though my inches lost were considerable, she would yell and threaten to fire me from the protocol. And then the front desk person would remind me as she handed me my expensive boxes of food in front of a lobby full of people - don't cheat this week or we'll have to fire you!!! Of course they were rigorous about our journals, they practically counted the hairs on our heads to see if they could find some extra weight there. It was so unpleasant. If she had been nice, or even civil, I wouldn't have left and I'd probably be at goal by now. But it's been hard to get the IP food sometimes online, and I don't manage as well without the accountability. But I had to leave her, I dreaded going and I'd leave red faced and shaking.
That is terrible. I am a medical professional and to treat any patient, for any reason, with that amount of disrespect is absolutely inappropriate. I would have personally made numerous complaints about her behavior and those of the staff to the IP company. I am sorry you had to endure that situation.

Last edited by boyz4us : 10-12-2011 at 07:49 AM.
boyz4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #21

Height: 5 ft. 3 in.

I had my initial information meeting at my clinic on Sept. 20th. The medical director told us that technically they were taught that after one cheat the client could be terminated but typically the one cheat receives a firm warning. If they client cheats a second time, then IP does ask the clinic to terminate the relationship as the client was not leaving up to their end of the contract. Our med director said that she has not gone this far with anyone yet (only tolerating 2) but that was the instructions they were given-not really a hard and fast rule.

As far as the journal, yes we were told that it is part of the protocol to fill it out daily. We have to bring it to each appt and the coach reads over it. She does not scrutinize it but just checks to see if I am eating appropriate packets/other foods and checks off each day. They told us that it was used more as a tool. The coach and med director can review it and help us try to figure out why not losing well, etc based on what the food diary says. Honestly, if they don't know what you are eating, they can't really figure out what the problem might be. Our diary is pretty simple though. They do not ask for all the information-weights, times, etc of the food.

Last edited by boyz4us : 10-12-2011 at 07:48 AM.
boyz4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #22
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

I was given a journal to record in when I started. My coach looked at it after the first week, but hasn't since. I've used up that journal and am 1/2 way through a homemade journal. I don't even bring it to WI anymore. I don't have confidence in my coaches to look at my journal and figure out where I might have problems if they arise. If anything, I would post a week of my journal on this site to get advice. I've slacked off the last couple of weeks after I got sick and had some problems, but plan to start journaling again today. I've stayed OP and have been accountable to myself. I think I would try to find a new coach or go to alternatives if mine started to bully me. Overweight people sometimes have self esteem problems to start with, it doesn't help if your weight loss coach bullies you for not writing down how many ounces of chicken you had.
Paint Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #23
Started IP Aug 9/2011

S/C/G: 266/195

Height: 5' 7"

Learning a few things here.

I'm guessing that unlike WW/JC and others that IP is maintaining a database of achievements for future marketing/proof of success/etc., no problem with me. But why else would a business, and yes every place offering IP is a business, kick a paying customer out? If you take down their numbers is there a penalty to the business or the coach?

Lilivonshtupp, by many of your comments I'm guessing you are either an owner or a coach, not a problem just curious as many of your comments come from an "expert" point of view.
Y Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #24
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Guy View Post
Learning a few things here.

Lilivonshtupp, by many of your comments I'm guessing you are either an owner or a coach, not a problem just curious as many of your comments come from an "expert" point of view.
I concur. My coach is very welcoming on what I tell her about, never asked to see my journal and has also been very cooperative when I don't have enough money to get a whole weeks worth of food...
Old 10-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #25
Restarted IP 07/07/14

S/C/G: 178/160/123

Height: 5'1"

Puh-leeze. Most of these clinics are staffed with people who have no clue about nutrition, etc. They simply went to an IP "seminar" and are in this to make money, just like selling Tupperware or Partylite.

I'd tell the "coaches" that if they don't like it, you'll go elsewhere. If they make a rude remark again, I'd walk out and never look back.

You do have alternatives.

amylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #26

S/C/G: 144/120/122

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Guy View Post
Nope, not a clinic owner or a coach, just asked mine a LOT of questions when I went on the program last year & got a lot of info from him that was written by the IP medical team (which all coaches have access to), all of which made a lot of sense and went into great detail about the cellular effects of the different components of all 4 phases. After resisting the rules, or more accurately, trying to outsmart them, and not seeing real progress, I finally started doing what he was telling me to, and it worked. Still does...just trying to give back a little of what I got from IP. It's not a miracle, it's not right for everyone, and I think it's sad that not all coaches were as good as mine, but my life and my body are better places to be because of it.

Lilivonshtupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #27

S/C/G: 186/166/155

Height: 5' 5.5"

My coach asked me to journal only for the first month. Sometimes, she didn't ask to see it and sometimes she did. She also does measurements and body composition analysis every time I see her. I did have one week awhile ago in which I had a small gain and we couldn't figure out why, so she asked me to journal for one more week. Now that I'm one week into maintenance, I have voluntarily gone back to journaling because I find this helps me plan my meals in advance and track what I ate a the same time. This is helping me keep my eating structured and purposeful rather than "hit or miss".

She has never said anything like, "If you cheat, you're out." I can't imagine her ever saying that. I figure it's my money and I have to decide every day if I am going to be "on plan" or not; it's no one else's decision and I don't need threats to be motivated. In fact, threats are counterproductive for most people, myself included. I think it's very short-sighted for these unsupportive, mean providers to think that they're the "only game in town". Have they never heard of the Internet???

Karen

Reached goal 9/11/11. Restarted 1/1/14.
karenfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #28

Default Tale of Two Coaches

We have two coaches at my clinic. One is kind of cold, and the other is bubbly and supportive. Neither has threatened to fire me if I deviate from the plan. I attended a client dinner, and the food they served was definitely off plan. I ate around stuff and controlled portions, but I had to eat something. My coach (the bubbly one) told me I made the best of a bad situation and that somethings are just beyond our control. She didn't say, "And if it happens again, you are out of here."

They have asked me to journal, but didn't give me a new one when I completed the first one. I eat practically the same thing every day, so writting it down got really boring. Yawn.
OneGuyonIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #29

S/C/G: 217.5/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylew View Post
Puh-leeze. Most of these clinics are staffed with people who have no clue about nutrition, etc. They simply went to an IP "seminar" and are in this to make money, just like selling Tupperware or Partylite.

I'd tell the "coaches" that if they don't like it, you'll go elsewhere. If they make a rude remark again, I'd walk out and never look back.

You do have alternatives.
This, exactly. Originally I had planned on doing IP through my chiropractor's office, but the "coaches" were the receptionists. I didn't like their demeanor or their lack of follow up.

I found a medical doctor who runs the program through his office and has done the program himself. No threats of ever being "kicked out." My coach actually told me about people on the program who cheated on occasion, but they worked with what was going on in that person's life and not with threats and yelling.

I only left because it was too expensive. I'm losing at the same rate with alternatives, but I miss my coach.

Lost 10 lbs before starting Ideal Protein 8/3/11

WI 1: -7.5 lbs WI 2: 0 WI 3: -5.4 lbs WI 4: -3 lbs WI 5: -4
WI 6: -1 WI 7: -2 WI 8: -3 WI 9: -2 WI 10: -3 WI 11: -2 WI 12:-1 WI 13: -1 WI 14: -3 WI 15: n/a
WI 16: n/a WI 17: -5 WI 18: 0
rainbowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #30

S/C/G: 188/154/135

Height: 5ft 1

My coach just went to a weekend IP conference. The only thing new she came back with was to say she was keeping everyone in phase 1 until they reached their goal, because you gain 2-4 lbs in phase 2. Journaling is recommended but optional after the first month, and she has never thrown anyone out. She will recommend they return at a later time if she doesnt feel they can commit fully at that time, but she does it nicely and its their option.
SVermonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.