Old 09-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197.6/194.6/140

Height: 5'4

Exclamation The Co$t of Cheating

I started IP in July and had Zero cheats until 3 weeks ago. I managed to get through an extremely stressful move, several social affairs with all the illegal foods and beverages, my kids shoving food in my face, etc. What was undoing? It was all the compliments from my friends and family. I thought well, I can eat a corner of a triscuit and no harm. Well, my husband advised me to stop right there or else it would spiral out of control. He was right. What started out as a corner of a Triscuit turned into Grahm crackers, nibbles of cheese, handfuls of popcorn, cookies, icecream, a steak burrito and some quiche. I gained 3 pounds back over three weeks and then lost them but still a cheat is a cheat is a cheat. Yesterday was my breaking point and a point of realization that you need to be comitted to IP 100%. I had my horah yesterday and was stressed but now I am holding myself accountable. I could be weighing 158 right now instead of 166 and be that much closer to my goal of 135. I came so far so quickly, now I need to finish what I have started.

When people tell me how fabulous I look, I need to file that away in my head and tell myself, "I'm going to look even better when I hit my goal". I feel blessed that I went down 4 sizes since July and that I look and feel 100 times better but I need to continue the journey I started. I love the support of this forum and I hope to be on the "Maintainers" group someday. IP is not a fad, it is a lifestyle change that has amazing promise. I have seen the transformation of others on this plan and it is incredible. If I have to post everyday that I made it through another day with no cheats, I'm going to do it! (Just please don't get sick of me!) I did this for 9 weeks straight, I can get back up on the saddle again. Today, I am off to a wonderful start and I have my entire day planned out.

If you are thinking about cheating: Don't! It is so, so hard to restart back after you had a taste of the no no foods!!!

Last edited by Greekgirldea; 09-29-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Greekgirldea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #2  

Height: 5'3"

Great advice
I can relate to the positive feedback affecting how commited I am too. The closer I get to the goal the less urgency and need to be 100%. I have for the most part remained committed but I do find I'm not as freaked out by the thought of a bit of this or that...no handfuls or completed portions lol.
I've been on this diet 7 months though and I know if I can continue to do this for that long I can finish it!! The end is near ...the good end lol that sounded sinister. :P
Losingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #3  
ND girl

Height: 5'6

You just wrote my story. I am in the same position and completely agree that it is so HARD to get back on track but with the tools IP has given me know that if I am true to myself it will work. Just make the commitment to finish the last 20 by Thanksgiving. Even with my birthday being in there I plan on staying 100% OP. Thanks for writing and expressing what I think a lot of people go thru when you get close to goal.
redhead14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I've been thinking about this issue from when I first started which was only two weeks ago. In the beginning of November I have a big challenge coming. My son is becoming a Bar Mitzvah. I will have many friends and family flying in for our big event and most everyone will be in town for about 4 days. So besides all of the eating out and lots of people here, I will also have to get through the big party we are having for him at a hotel after the Saturday morning service.

Knowing myself very well, I have already decided I will not take a single bite of anything that is not on the IP plan. I know for me, once I cheat, even a little tiny bit that it becomes a very slippery slope for me. Nothing will taste as good as success.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekgirldea View Post
I started IP in July and had Zero cheats until 3 weeks ago. I managed to get through an extremely stressful move, several social affairs with all the illegal foods and beverages, my kids shoving food in my face, etc. What was undoing? It was all the compliments from my friends and family. I thought well, I can eat a corner of a triscuit and no harm. Well, my husband advised me to stop right there or else it would spiral out of control. He was right. What started out as a corner of a Triscuit turned into Grahm crackers, nibbles of cheese, handfuls of popcorn, cookies, icecream, a steak burrito and some quiche. I gained 3 pounds back over three weeks and then lost them but still a cheat is a cheat is a cheat. Yesterday was my breaking point and a point of realization that you need to be comitted to IP 100%. I had my horah yesterday and was stressed but now I am holding myself accountable. I could be weighing 158 right now instead of 166 and be that much closer to my goal of 135. I came so far so quickly, now I need to finish what I have started.

When people tell me how fabulous I look, I need to file that away in my head and tell myself, "I'm going to look even better when I hit my goal". I feel blessed that I went down 4 sizes since July and that I look and feel 100 times better but I need to continue the journey I started. I love the support of this forum and I hope to be on the "Maintainers" group someday. IP is not a fad, it is a lifestyle change that has amazing promise. I have seen the transformation of others on this plan and it is incredible. If I have to post everyday that I made it through another day with no cheats, I'm going to do it! (Just please don't get sick of me!) I did this for 9 weeks straight, I can get back up on the saddle again. Today, I am off to a wonderful start and I have my entire day planned out.

If you are thinking about cheating: Don't! It is so, so hard to restart back after you had a taste of the no no foods!!!
I agree with you. And what gets annoying are the people who say, "But don't lose any more weight - okay?" I say, "Not a problem." they say,"No, really." And I say,"really, I have gained back 5, 7, or 10 lbs over the last few months of maintaining." (I've relost 5 of those at least.) I'm going to spend more time going through the phases more slowly this time.
deelee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #6  
Vegetarian college girl

S/C/G: 185/157/140

Height: 5'9"

Awesome advice... it honestly does make me think twice. I do want to lose weight, but my heart and head aren't 100% into it. Did I eat chocolate today? Guilty :/
wtfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 169/169/125

Height: 5'6"

I am on day 6 of IP,I suffer from migraines-real migraines not just headaches...I have had to take at least 1 Sumatriptan pill a day so far.I stopped taking all my meds two months ago in preparation for this program(estrogen,thyroid,anti-depressant).Every diet I ever tried didn't work because I think of the estrogen.I have terrible hotflashes day and night but I can deal with them for awhile longer if I helps me lose weight.I am going to take some natural remedies if they get too difficult.I don't own a scale so I won't know how i'm doing until 3:00 tomorow.Has anyone had these problems?
tpotts1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpotts1972 View Post
I am on day 6 of IP,I suffer from migraines-real migraines not just headaches...I have had to take at least 1 Sumatriptan pill a day so far.I stopped taking all my meds two months ago in preparation for this program(estrogen,thyroid,anti-depressant).Every diet I ever tried didn't work because I think of the estrogen.I have terrible hotflashes day and night but I can deal with them for awhile longer if I helps me lose weight.I am going to take some natural remedies if they get too difficult.I don't own a scale so I won't know how i'm doing until 3:00 tomorow.Has anyone had these problems?
Hi, I hope you received medical advice to stop those meds... that seems really drastic to stop them...??? I hope you're okay on this diet and w/o your meds...
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

I did not cheat on P1 or P2 and then P3 came...and then I only had one week left until maintenance...AND then I gave in...it may have been the new sugars I was having with breakfast...BUT I had to have my chocolate, the craving were so strong. 'm so glad I didn't cheat during the other phases because it is hard stopping...my only saving grace is that I'm at goal and know how to lose easily if I gain...which I haven't...phew!

Do not cheat! I wish I could have waited one more week...but I gave in...

Stay strong!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #10  
Started IP 3/11/2012

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/160?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpotts1972 View Post
I suffer from migraines as well, and in my first month of IP have dramatically reduced my need for sumatriptan (I usually take 6-8 per month, only needed 3 in March) - I think ketones are good for migraines! Hurrah! I saw my neurologist last week and he and I decided to reduce the amount of the med I take for migraine prophylaxis / prevention (I take verapamil)

As far as the other meds - did you talk to a physician about stopping them? I would think that you would be able to stop taking them AFTER you've been on IP and lost some weight, etc. You do NOT want to be hypothyroid while trying to lose weight. Also, most anti-depressants should be tapered off SLOWLY, not cold turkey. I saw my internist the week I started IP and she did NOT advise me to stop any meds. She does want to see me back in 6 months for full blood work, and we'll go from there.

You may feel so bad because you went cold turkey off everything and your body is out of whack...

Oh, and sorry for so totally hijacking the thread - I totally agree with the OP about the cost of cheating - I slipped this past weekend and so do not want to slide down that slippery slope...

Last edited by momof2greatcats; 04-17-2012 at 08:47 PM.
momof2greatcats is offline   Reply With Quote