Old 09-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217.5/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Anxious about vacation-need advice

So, we're going away for 2 weeks for Thanksgiving to visit family. During part of our time away my husband and I actually get to get away by ourselves for the first time in three years.

I'd like to be able to enjoy a glass of wine and not eat out of packets for the entire time we're away, but now I'm getting anxious about gaining weight.

How do I make this work? Part of me has been toying with the idea of just phasing off in the next month or so, but I'm really too afraid to even seriously contemplate that.

Any recommendations?
rainbowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:33 AM   #2  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmom View Post
So, we're going away for 2 weeks for Thanksgiving to visit family. During part of our time away my husband and I actually get to get away by ourselves for the first time in three years.

I'd like to be able to enjoy a glass of wine and not eat out of packets for the entire time we're away, but now I'm getting anxious about gaining weight.

How do I make this work? Part of me has been toying with the idea of just phasing off in the next month or so, but I'm really too afraid to even seriously contemplate that.

Any recommendations?

This is just my take; I'm sure others may see it differently.

Overarching everything is the fact that you've done really well over the past two months. Anything to stop the momentum or, worst scenario, make you back slid would be a crying shame. Of course, most people, in the same circumstances you are (my observation) bring out their very best rationalizations and, ultimately, screw things up. Then come back here wring their hands or even whining; wondering why they did it; marvelling that it wasn't as good as they thought it would be; and asking for the sympathetic platitudes that trip so easily off some people's tongues. You know what I mean -- pick yourself up, dust yourself off or today's the first day of your new life or don't beat yourself up, you deserve a "cheat". Balderdash. What you deserve is to look and be healthier by Thanksgiving and, even better by Christmas. Isn't it possible that that might be as good a treat as a measly glass of wine. Isn't long term self-satisfaction more fun than instant gratification?

What's she going on about? you're asking yourself. It's only a bloody glass of wine. Except, of course, it isn't.

On the other hand, if you do prefer to eat and drink moderately over Thanksgiving, definitely phase off absolutely correctly. Everyone's different, but you may likely continue to lose, but very slowly. I'd maintain to the New Year and start back, January 2, full bore. But I'd only do this once, remembering that the object of this program is to reset the pancreas and in the process stabilize insulin, metabolic rate and a whole host of other things. If you end up roller coasting it like some people, cheat/hop back on; cheat/hop back on, you can lose weight but you can also lose the most important benefits of the program. "Planned cheat" have to be the two most disgusting words on this forum -- because of what they imply. They cheat the cheater, they cheat (and cheapen) the program, and they cheat the reader who thinks it's OK to cheat because others do it.

So that's my honest opinion. I wouldn't have offered it if I hadn't thought you were sincere in asking.

Edit: It occurs to me that I've given good abstract advice (I hope) but nothing much concrete. So here goes: go back to October through December 2010 and read the posts about how to stay on plan over Thanksgiving and Christmas. There were far fewer posts per day and a lot of them deal with the holidays. For instance combine Raspberry Jelly with rhubarb as a (delicious) substitute for cranberry sauce. Dip celery in Walden Farms blue cheese dressing for an appetizer. Eat turkey unadorned -- both dark and white meat as a treat. Make yourself one unrestricted vegetable that you really like if the only alternatives are corn, peas, green beans, sweet potatoes gloped up with butter and marshmallows, oysters in cream and butter topped off with butter crackers. For desert, vanilla pudding with pumpkin pie seasonings. A little heavy on protein, but that's it. Anyway, I'm sure you get the picture. I wish you the best whatever you decide.

Last edited by Linden; 09-27-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/151/139

Height: 5'7"

Default Thank you

Linden I wanted to thank you for your post. I have been on IP for 6 weeks and one of the risks of this site is that I can see that I could justify a small deviation from the plan without really thinking it through.

There are so many reasons to go off plan, and I appreciate the reminder that the food and special occasions will always be there. I am trying to see the special events that come up while I'm on plan as tests for maintenance. If I can eat the way I know I should now, even in the face of social events, I'm training myself for all of the choices that I'll need to make. At least if I go off at some point, I can't say I wasn't aware of the hard work to get back on track
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7'

Linden - Wow! I need your perspective. Thank you for articulating it so well. I am teetering back and forth about phasing off for the holidays or staying on. Between T-day and Christmas it's basically one continuous party, but I am very social and go to parties at least once a week and I've done fine. Thanksgiving isn't the only day in the year that I can have my beloved stuffing - actually I wonder how much I'd like it this year!

Rainbow mom - I know your post isn't about holidays but about vacation. I think Linden gave a decent argument to stay OP. Any chance you could substitute your wine for seltzer in a nice wine glass? I eat out pretty regularly and sometimes the restaurant food just isn't very satifying - depending on the restaurant - but they've always accomodated my requests. Once I walk away from the table, whether loving my meal or not, I still feel great that I kept my resolve.
stolaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #5  
Second time around

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/155

Height: 5'5"

My advice, stay on plan. You will be so glad that you did. I only wish I would of last year for the holidays and vacations. Look where I am now. Gained back around 16 pounds and finally getting back on program. I think about where I could be now if I hadn't went off plan last year. I didn't phase off properly, but maintained until March and then slowly added more pounds back. It was so easy to tell myself that tomorrow I will start back. Well, here it is, almost a year later. I kick myself daily now. It simply isn't worth going off plan.
iowahawkeyemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #6  

Height: 5' 5"

I'm back on phase 1 after a 10 day break. I don't feel like I've screwed anything up- and I'm pretty sure I'm not whining about it. I enjoyed the time I was off plan, I'm back with renewed determination. The scale went up while I was off plan, but I am amazed at how little impact the break had on me overall.

It is scary going off plan. I could lament the fact that I gave up 2 weeks worth of losses, but I have a lifetime on this plan and 2 weeks is not a big deal. Now, with all of that said, you have to decide what's best for you. There are definitely 2 schools of thought on this board- one is stay OP until the weight is off, no matter what. The other is phase off properly but have a specific plan for getting back on track after your break. I respect them both, everyone has to decide for themself.

Can you go off plan for a while and get right back on when your holiday ends? Can you deal with gaining? Do you have time to phase off properly? Would going halfway- say doing phase 2- work for you? It takes some soul searching to know which course of action is best. Good luck!
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 217.5/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Thank you so much for the thoughtful responses.

Linden, you make a very strong case for sticking to the protocol, but Movingon, also makes a compelling case. Then Iowa also had a perspective I can't ignore.

My busiest time for work starts in January and I was hoping to be close enough to goal to move to at least Phase 2 by then.

I think I'm going to go to the MD at the clinic for a consult about the best approach. I am too afraid to completely phase off, but maybe doing Phase 2 for while we're away might be a good compromise.

Thanks!
rainbowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 212/196/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmom View Post

Any recommendations?
I very much agree with Lindin. I have been on 2 vacations since starting Ideal Protein and stayed on plan both times. I think once you are in it, go for the gold or in this case goal. It is doable to stay on plan if you are committed to the program. I am so happy that I stayed on plan and am now at maintenance. I still ask myself "is that wine, cookie, etc worth it?" I feel so good eating this way and I hope it becomes part of your life long term as well. I personally am not an advocate of phasing off for vacations, birthdays, holidays, etc. If you don't, you will be happy with your decision. What is important, having fun and enjoying the people you love, or the food/drink?
Determinedat47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #9  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
This is just my take; I'm sure others may see it differently.

Overarching everything is the fact that you've done really well over the past two months. Anything to stop the momentum or, worst scenario, make you back slid would be a crying shame. Of course, most people, in the same circumstances you are (my observation) bring out their very best rationalizations and, ultimately, screw things up. Then come back here wring their hands or even whining; wondering why they did it; marvelling that it wasn't as good as they thought it would be; and asking for the sympathetic platitudes that trip so easily off some people's tongues. You know what I mean -- pick yourself up, dust yourself off or today's the first day of your new life or don't beat yourself up, you deserve a "cheat". Balderdash. What you deserve is to look and be healthier by Thanksgiving and, even better by Christmas. Isn't it possible that that might be as good a treat as a measly glass of wine. Isn't long term self-satisfaction more fun than instant gratification?

What's she going on about? you're asking yourself. It's only a bloody glass of wine. Except, of course, it isn't.

On the other hand, if you do prefer to eat and drink moderately over Thanksgiving, definitely phase off absolutely correctly. Everyone's different, but you may likely continue to lose, but very slowly. I'd maintain to the New Year and start back, January 2, full bore. But I'd only do this once, remembering that the object of this program is to reset the pancreas and in the process stabilize insulin, metabolic rate and a whole host of other things. If you end up roller coasting it like some people, cheat/hop back on; cheat/hop back on, you can lose weight but you can also lose the most important benefits of the program. "Planned cheat" have to be the two most disgusting words on this forum -- because of what they imply. They cheat the cheater, they cheat (and cheapen) the program, and they cheat the reader who thinks it's OK to cheat because others do it.

So that's my honest opinion. I wouldn't have offered it if I hadn't thought you were sincere in asking.

Edit: It occurs to me that I've given good abstract advice (I hope) but nothing much concrete. So here goes: go back to October through December 2010 and read the posts about how to stay on plan over Thanksgiving and Christmas. There were far fewer posts per day and a lot of them deal with the holidays. For instance combine Raspberry Jelly with rhubarb as a (delicious) substitute for cranberry sauce. Dip celery in Walden Farms blue cheese dressing for an appetizer. Eat turkey unadorned -- both dark and white meat as a treat. Make yourself one unrestricted vegetable that you really like if the only alternatives are corn, peas, green beans, sweet potatoes gloped up with butter and marshmallows, oysters in cream and butter topped off with butter crackers. For desert, vanilla pudding with pumpkin pie seasonings. A little heavy on protein, but that's it. Anyway, I'm sure you get the picture. I wish you the best whatever you decide.
Linden you are so right.

Things I have learned about "taking a break" from being OP. Seems like everyone or almost everyone is disappointed in themselves when they go off, and that they seem to have a harder time coming back. Most of the time they say it wasn't even worth it. That makes me sad because you have just set yourself up for a slowdown and what happens to the pancreas? I am not a medical professional but I am sure there would be issues. It is good you are checking with the MD at your clinic. That being said, I know of a few coaches that recommend cheating but when you are losing so good why would you risk it?

In closing everyone has their opinions about cheating, phasing out properly. I think it is up to the individuals if they cheat they are hurting themselves, yes it also hurts the program as a few complain as to why they aren't losing, I always think to myself, hmmm maybe it is the cheesecake you ate. But it still breaks down to you are an individual you have to make your own choices and it will be up to you to decide what you want to do. No one can force someone to cheat or stay OP it is yourself that you have to deal with.
2RIDEROLLERCOAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 164/147.5/138

Thanks, everyone, for your input on this! We are off to Disney World on 10/21, partially for (gulp) the Food and Wine festival! We booked it last March, well before I started IP. I'm scared to death that I am going to gain weight. We're travelling with another family with small kids, I think I might have to volunteer to take the kids to the parks on the days the adults wander the food booths at Epcot - I'm pretty good picking my courses at a sit down restaurant, but I'm really afraid the wonderful smells and sights at the small booths might do me in. I'm planning to bring shakes for all my bfasts so at least I'll be getting those in right, and I also know if I have a drink I'll be doomed (especially since our calorie intake is so low it won't take much to have my judgement and willpower fly out the window! )

I just got "over" a two week weight loss stall, the scale is finally going down again after I wasn't sure it ever would again, and that was with no cheating....

Your words here were very inspirational, thank you!
aroundtheriverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #11  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheriverbend View Post
We're travelling with another family with small kids, I think I might have to volunteer to take the kids to the parks on the days the adults wander the food booths at Epcot.
This is really a super idea and probably more fun than eating. Just a word of caution. Heat, and especially heat plus high humidity, are an almost instant recipe for dehydration -- for both you and the kids. (I've lived in Hawai'i for enough years to be an expert on bailing out tourists.) If that's the kind of weather you are having forewarned is forearmed. I hope you have a great time.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Hi,

I have just a little bit different opinion ( and that is all it is, is an opinion). I am phasing off starting the second week in October and plan to start back up the first of the year with alternative. I have been OP for a little over 3 months, with no cheats. I personally think it is better to phase off properly and take a break verses cheating and hopping back on program. Here is my rational: You cheat and may or may not knock yourself out of Ketosis. You figure, I did it before and it didnt hurt my progress too bad, so you do it again, etc. You are also stressing your pancreas (maybe not too badly) and it brings back the yo-yo thing. So, mentally (for me) and possibly physically it is better to phase off properly and restart. I also, want to "test run" the maintenance, as well as, switch to alternatives when I come back. Good Luck to you. ONE thing I most definitely will do, is come here for support!
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST View Post
Linden you are so right.

Things I have learned about "taking a break" from being OP. Seems like everyone or almost everyone is disappointed in themselves when they go off, and that they seem to have a harder time coming back. Most of the time they say it wasn't even worth it. That makes me sad because you have just set yourself up for a slowdown and what happens to the pancreas? I am not a medical professional but I am sure there would be issues. It is good you are checking with the MD at your clinic. That being said, I know of a few coaches that recommend cheating but when you are losing so good why would you risk it?

In closing everyone has their opinions about cheating, phasing out properly. I think it is up to the individuals if they cheat they are hurting themselves, yes it also hurts the program as a few complain as to why they aren't losing, I always think to myself, hmmm maybe it is the cheesecake you ate. But it still breaks down to you are an individual you have to make your own choices and it will be up to you to decide what you want to do. No one can force someone to cheat or stay OP it is yourself that you have to deal with.
I am a medical professional and I do not agree with what going off and on the plan does to a person physiologically or psychologically. My clinic kicks you out if you cheat 2 times. There are no coaches that would ever encourage "phasing off for a planned cheat" at my clinic. They also discourage this website because there is so much of that talk on the ideal protein blogs. Glad I am with the group I am with. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #14  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinedat47 View Post
I am a medical professional and I do not agree with what going off and on the plan does to a person physiologically or psychologically. My clinic kicks you out if you cheat 2 times. There are no coaches that would ever encourage "phasing off for a planned cheat" at my clinic. They also discourage this website because there is so much of that talk on the ideal protein blogs. Glad I am with the group I am with. Just my 2 cents.
Yes my coaches say read for recipes don't follow advise... I also asked about the no cheats and my new coach isn't really strict on this which made me feel a little sad that even the coaches waiver on this part. I myself, could never (maybe I shouldn't say never cause you never know) go off for a planned cheat... that is like saying, I know what the rules are but I am going to break them anyway... I have always been by the rules kind of person and was in a position where when you break the rules there are consequences. I still feel there are consequences when you do the wrong thing, maybe not right away but eventually. At least IP isn't a plan if you don't lose weight you get kicked out... I always wonder though if eventually they will become more strict and everyone will be mandated to kick people out after 2 or 3 cheats... that would just create underground cheaters I am thinking.
2RIDEROLLERCOAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST View Post
Yes my coaches say read for recipes don't follow advise... I also asked about the no cheats and my new coach isn't really strict on this which made me feel a little sad that even the coaches waiver on this part. I myself, could never (maybe I shouldn't say never cause you never know) go off for a planned cheat... that is like saying, I know what the rules are but I am going to break them anyway... I have always been by the rules kind of person and was in a position where when you break the rules there are consequences. I still feel there are consequences when you do the wrong thing, maybe not right away but eventually. At least IP isn't a plan if you don't lose weight you get kicked out... I always wonder though if eventually they will become more strict and everyone will be mandated to kick people out after 2 or 3 cheats... that would just create underground cheaters I am thinking.
Underground cheaters! That is hilarious! Like closet smokers! I think that if you are going to do a program, do it the way it is designed or pick a different program. I am no perfect angel by any means- I have posted about it before, there are times when I have had a little cheese or some nuts-not on the protocol, but nothing that kicked me out of ketosis. I know we are human and most likely, most people will have slip ups along the way but I do not think a coach (who has the proper ideal protein training) should ever encourage a planned phase off for planned cheats. Life is full of holidays, vacations, birthdays, ups and downs and that is part of this diet-learning how to make good choices forever and not make the focus of every celebration or bad day about food. And I do love this website-have been coming to it for nearly a year. Lucky I can overlook the talk about planned cheats and carry on!