Old 09-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #1  

Default Ketosis questions:

Questions about ketosis, losing fat, and keeping the kidneys safe.
  • When we are in Ketosis are we burning almost all fat or will there be some protein and muscle? How do I know if I am burning fat and not muscle?? My coach didn't know what ketosticks were (what, what??). And I asked her if I could be burning muscle since I lost 5 pounds and only 1.5 inches last week. Her answer? You are only burning fat because that is what this diet is designed to do. (what, what??) My understanding is that when we are in ketosis we are primarily burning fat and also we are not burning muscle because we are getting enough protein. Is this correct? Is there a way to tell if we are losing fat or muscle? I thought measurements were a good gauge.
  • My next question is about ketosis and the amount of protein. Why are we all getting 3 packets even though we weigh different amounts? Isn't the grams of protein we need determined by our body weight? Why does my 240 pound husband only get three packets? That is the same amount I get.
  • Next: I always thought the reason we weren't allowed to have diet soda was because of the aspartame. Now I have read a little and it seems to be about the acid. It appears that ketosis is dangerous for diabetics because of the acid produced from ketosis can damage their kidneys(Ketoacidosis). Given that information, the acid in soda could cause the same problems (from my research). Can anyone clarify?
  • Is there any way of knowing for sure that my kidneys are safe?? My son was born with one kidney and I just cannot risk hurting mine. It seems that hydration is a huge component. I am getting a tanita scale that measures our water levels. I am sure it isn't a perfect predictor but I will take any help I can get to make sure I am doing this in a healthy way.
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #2  

Doesn't your coach have a scale that measure body fat as well as muscle mass? My coach has one that measures that so we can monitor if the fat is going down while the muscle is going up or down. Ideally you would like to have the fat go down and muscle mass go up. Keto stips-- my coach gives them to us at the beginning of the diet so that we could see after about four days if we are in ketosis or not. Drinking ALOT of water is key to flushing out all the ketone bodies as well....
bikiniboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/176.2/135

Height: 5'3"

My coach never mentioned the Keotone strips although I have thought about buying them. She also has the body fat measuring device which is supposed to be very accurate. Week 2 and I've lost less than 1.5 lbs lean body mass. I think that some lean body mass will be lost, but it would in any program. Out of 12.8 lbs I don't think that's to bad a ratio.

The body fat measurement device that my coach has also measures your hydration level. I'm always WAY in the green (but I've always been a huge water drinker), might be something to ask about, I think it's called a BCA machine, we're charged $20 a month for it.

My coach also told me that the reason diet sodas weren't allowed was because of the acid. Since we're messing with the body chemistry, and this is a very alkaline diet it would slow or eliminate my losses. She didn't really dwell on the aspartame thing, but aside from diet soda I didn't consume it before this diet so I haven't thought about it really.

From the research I've done Ketosis is very different from Ketoacidosis and I know this diet is recommended for diabetics because of the low sugars. If you're super concerned though I would talk to your doctor.
NavyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I think you need to read Dr Chanh's book which adresses all your concerns.
There is a link at the top of the daily thread. I've wondered too why everyone eats the same amount of packages no matter your size. I asked my coach about this. She said people over 200 pounds should eat 4, but no one else seems to have heard this.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #5  

Thank you. My coach doesn't have a body fat scale. She has a normal scale and measuring tape. I bought a tanita scale from amazon so maybe that will give me more information (it calculates body fat and hydration). Even better, our community rec center is offering a biggest loser type of program that I joined. The first meeting is Monday. I will get to use their body fat scale every other week. That will give me the input I am looking for. That is suppose to be accurate. I am not sure how accurate my tanita scale will be. I am curious to see how close it is to the rec centers numbers.

I read the ebook and I didn't really find the answers there to ketosis.

Straight up, I don't think Doctors get a lot of training in nutrition or preventive medicine. I think there are better sources for this type of information.
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #6  
Incredible Shrinking Wife

S/C/G: 172.8/142/130

Height: 5'4"

I asked my coach some similar questions, specifically why my ketostix were showing no ketosis (my concern was that I might be starving myself if I'm not in ketosis but I was only eating per protocol which for me was approx 900 cals/day).

He responded that as we progress on the diet, our bodies get more efficient at using the ketone bodies for fuel so less will be excreted, but also contacted the CMO for his advice, and the response was:

"If she is active or highly stressed it will often show trace or LESS as the adrenals are also being taxed! Furthermore reason to make sure they are taking the enzymes and fish oils!
This is where a good body comp analysis is very handy to show and prove to a dieter that yes they are in ketosis (regardless of a stick) and yes they are burning lots of FAT!"

Dr X again:
I double checked your BMI (Body Mass Index) and Body Fat % both have dropped since you started indicating what he is saying about your body to be applied. [I took my personal results out of this part!] So you are showing all signs that your body is functioning properly on the diet thus far.

So, what I took that to mean was that I am in ketosis, even if the stix aren't giving me the indicator I was looking for. And that body fat scale should help when you can use it!
MrsD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #7  
Started IP Feb 4,2011

S/C/G: 160/160/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaXOXO View Post
Questions about ketosis, losing fat, and keeping the kidneys safe.
  • When we are in Ketosis are we burning almost all fat or will there be some protein and muscle? How do I know if I am burning fat and not muscle?? My coach didn't know what ketosticks were (what, what??). And I asked her if I could be burning muscle since I lost 5 pounds and only 1.5 inches last week. Her answer? You are only burning fat because that is what this diet is designed to do. (what, what??) My understanding is that when we are in ketosis we are primarily burning fat and also we are not burning muscle because we are getting enough protein. Is this correct? Is there a way to tell if we are losing fat or muscle? I thought measurements were a good gauge.
According to Dr Tien, if you are in ketosis then you are burning fat. Before reaching ketosis, water weight may affect the scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaXOXO View Post
  • My next question is about ketosis and the amount of protein. Why are we all getting 3 packets even though we weigh different amounts? Isn't the grams of protein we need determined by our body weight? Why does my 240 pound husband only get three packets? That is the same amount I get.
From trantiendiet.com:
"How much protein do you need?
It is generally accepted that your body needs 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight per day while you’re on the diet.
And by body weight, I mean a healthy body weight and not excess weight.
For example, a 90-kg individual who wants to slim down to 70 kg, or his fit weight, will need 70 g of protein per day and not 90 g.
One gram of protein per kilogram of body weight per day is the minimum required amount."
HokieHi is offline   Reply With Quote