Old 09-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/194.5/140

Height: 5'5

Default Pay $400+ to start tomorrow? or do this on my own??

I'm scheduled for my first consultation tomorrow, but after reading many threads here, i'm having second thoughts. Can anyone provide me with some last minute advice? How many are doing this on their own with support found here, and saving alot of money?

If I choose to go on my own though, can I still go to a nearby clinic and purchase packets without signing up? (I know there is the online option, but picking up locally would save shipping.)

I have on file the whole protocol through the 4 phases, as well as FAQ from IP. (Many thanks to wonderful links and threads for those!)

Appreciate any advice you can give!
startingoveragain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #2  
Started IP Aug 9/2011

S/C/G: 266/195

Height: 5' 7"

For me having my coach has been helpful and the additional information I get at WI is very important as its not just about losing weight but looking at the other numbers involved as well. It's my understanding that you can not go in and buy, at least from our clinic unless you are a registered and using them as a coach as well. Since mine is through my Doctors office I do feel better that my progress is reviewed by him as well as my coach.
Y Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Guy View Post
For me having my coach has been helpful and the additional information I get at WI is very important as its not just about losing weight but looking at the other numbers involved as well. It's my understanding that you can not go in and buy, at least from our clinic unless you are a registered and using them as a coach as well. Since mine is through my Doctors office I do feel better that my progress is reviewed by him as well as my coach.
Thanks for your feedback Yguy, your stats with a 30lb loss this month alone says alot too. Wow! And yes it does stand to reason that the packets are for registered clients only.

I should also keep in mind that my success rate has not had the best track record when I've only been accountable to myself, and considering the money that could be lost too would definitely be an additional motivating factor to give it all I've got.

Things to think about....
Old 09-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #4  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by startingoveragain View Post
I'm scheduled for my first consultation tomorrow, but after reading many threads here, i'm having second thoughts. Can anyone provide me with some last minute advice? How many are doing this on their own with support found here, and saving alot of money?

If I choose to go on my own though, can I still go to a nearby clinic and purchase packets without signing up? (I know there is the online option, but picking up locally would save shipping.)

I have on file the whole protocol through the 4 phases, as well as FAQ from IP. (Many thanks to wonderful links and threads for those!)

Appreciate any advice you can give!
Have you shopped around at different clinics? what is the $400 for? have you asked? yes there was a fee when I started I think 235 but that also got me 9 days worth of food, the shaker, and all of the supplements so it turned out to be about $50.00 went to them. You would also have to contact different clinics to see if they would allow you just to buy products. Yes there is a online idealprotein but that is only in the US. Apparently Dr. Bernstein's food is similar and you can just walk in to their clincs and buy whatever.
I myself feel better going to a clinic. It keeps me accountable and honest. I think I would have been more tempted to cheat if I did it on my own. I give the ones that are going alternate all the way lots of credit as I don't think I would be able to. Also like Y guy said, my coach does answer questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to, and like right now when I had a weird weigh in my coach is there to find out why this is happening and she is going to the regional person to get some help.
I hope this helps, but $400 sounds like a lot I would check other clinics for their fees.
2RIDEROLLERCOAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:12 AM   #5  
Started IP Aug 9/2011

S/C/G: 266/195

Height: 5' 7"

You know the money is a big motivator for me, I figure that as much as I'm shelling out I owe it to myself and my family to stick with it. I fear that without that it might be easier to cheat. I'm very happy with the results so far my unofficial WI at home puts me about 35lbs down now.

I do agree with 2Rider though $400 seems high, seeing the exchange rate is about the same now. My buy in was about $225 as I recall.
Y Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/176.2/135

Height: 5'3"

What does the $400 go towards? I paid $150 (US dollars) and got 29 packets of food (almost 10 days), a months worth of vitamins, shaker, 1 month of the body fat measurements (my clinic charges $20 a month) and all of the information. Added up that's actually more than the money I paid in product alone.

I have to say I really like the accountability and support a coach provides. Mine is available 24/7 via phone e-mail or text for help, support, or encouragement. I texted her on the second day telling her I was miserable, had a headache and was starving and she told me to scramble some egg whites with lots of salt, drink a big glass of water and she would call me in 20 minutes. What do you know I was feeling better by then.

It's a bit of a drive for me, so I've considered going online, and in the future I will probably go with alternative products if I ever have to get back into the program (or if we move before I've phased out) but IMO a coach is totally worth it.

Oh, and she takes my measurements as well which I love. I don't really want hubby doing that (even though yes I know he realizes how big I am) and it's a great way to track!!
NavyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

That does seem very high, it depends upon what is included I guess. I paid $235 for the initial meeting and that included everything I needed. That session is more because of the supplements and my clinic gave 4 packets of food a day for the first week in case you get really hungry. The following weeks are usually three packets per day.

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:11 AM   #8  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

I did my first 5 months with my clinic and I would not recommend any other way. It gets you moving and going and focused and for me spending the money gets me motivated.

I think I paid a $100 start-up fee plus vitamins and food and total was around $300 for the first week...now it is about 85 a week....plus vitamins.

I lost around 60 pounds in the first 4 and a half months or so. I then followed IP off and on for another 4 months (I had a ton of trips and weekends planned)...I was able to lose another 20 pounds.

I went on maintenance for 3 months and at the end was up 4 pounds. I have been on protocol again (at my clinic with IP food) for 2 weeks and I am down the 4 plus another 5.

I think it is possible on your own...but you will not see the success that you would if you pay the big bucks and go to the clinic.

Can you afford...not to do it?

It changed my life....it was worth every dime.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 224.4/219.0/150

Height: 5 ft 4

400 seems very high, When I started was a 50 dollar start up fee, the rest of the cost was for the vitamins, shaker,and 10 days of food. I did 5 months of IP, before I added a few alternative because of the cost. I cant imagine them letting you just buy packets, dont forget its a buisness too, they have to make money or they wont exist. My coach thinks I am on maint, so its ok I buy just a bit from her. I do buy her vitamins, since I havent found anything really close. Those that were close I would need to take double so almost the same cost. I felt so good durring phase1 i think alot was because of the vitamins. I didnt lose hair or anything. I think starting of total IP, will get your going with a good kick in the butt lol, Then you can understand the program. This is a change for life, Getting help with the coach while going through different phases is important to make the system work the best way possible. If you order ideal to go you have to order by the boxes, most clinics let you mix and even return if some if you dont like you can exchange.
locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #10  

Thank you everyone for the imput. Apparently their breakdown is: initial consultation $300, 1 weeks packets are $90 (incl tax), then if I wanted their supplements it's another $85 (incl tax) - but maybe that is for the month?

I think I'm going to call them this morning and clear it up a bit better, as well as complain!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 129/129/113

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by startingoveragain View Post
Thank you everyone for the imput. Apparently their breakdown is: initial consultation $300, 1 weeks packets are $90 (incl tax), then if I wanted their supplements it's another $85 (incl tax) - but maybe that is for the month?

I think I'm going to call them this morning and clear it up a bit better, as well as complain!
Hi there! My initial fee was a $300 consultation PLUS food, supplements, etc. Yes, it was expensive, but I think totally worth it. My coach is awesome, and so is everyone else at the clinic. They really keep me motivated and accountable. I would highly recommend using a coach, but ONLY if you find the right one that is supportive and knowledgable.
jennylauren19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/176.2/135

Height: 5'3"

Well to ease your mind a little the supplements should be for the month, and one of them should be a 3 month supply, at least in the US it is, I don't know if they have the same supplements up there or not.

If you call maybe they'll give you a break on the actual meeting fee, it's worth asking at least.
NavyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 294.6/see ticker/145

400 seems quite high. My consultation fee was $35 than i bought the food for a week and the supplements (here too its 2 of them for 1 month and 1 (potassium) for 3 months).
Busymomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #14  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Hello,

I live in Canada as well, before starting, I called many centers with IP, some of them had ridiculous charges from opening a file (like that would cost money) to putting you through their datasheet or whichever stuff they created, I kept on calling until I found one who told me that she doesn't charge for the consultation, nor for the weigh in nor for anything else except for the food I buy and vitamins I buy, so I went there.

I chose not to buy the IP vitamins, since I printed the sheet explaining about the supplements I should have (which I attached it for you if you'd like to see it) and preferred to get my supplements through Costco and local pharmacies which saved me a lot of money.

I only bought my IP food from the center, until about 2 1/2 months on program where I saw that many are using alternatives with great success, so I decided to do that, I read a lot about nutritional values (also attached is the sheet with this info for you) and started to compare products, I ordered through proteinwell.ca and through nashuanutrition.com, bought some bars from local pharmacies and powder protein shakes.

You can totally do it by yourself to save money. The decision is yours, you have to see what suits you best, if you really need the support of a center or if you'd like to do it alone.

Good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Supplement_Overview-IP.pdf (75.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: pdf Nutritional Fact Sheet[1].pdf (16.5 KB, 39 views)
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

hello,

It is your own choice. There is sooooo much info here, I would have used alternatives had I known. I am swithching to alternatives the first of the year. I have been on IP (no cheats) for 12 weeks this friday, on October 7th I am starting Phase II and Phasing off. I will restart IP protocol the first of the year, using alternatives. Our heating bills (starting very soon, some already have their heat on here) will be $300-500, so I can't shell out $400 for IP. I will still go to the clinic for favorites, my coach said as long as I follow the program and phase off correctly that I can buy what I want. Maybe "Itsaboutime" will give you some imput, she has done alternatives from the beginning and has Rocked-it! Good Luck to you either way. Make sure you post!
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote