Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #1  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Default Everyone PLEASE READ...Before starting a new thread

Hello everyone, Before starting a new thread for every question Read the DAILY CHAT, that is why we have the daily threads. Its for introductions, questions, problems and such. We have entirely too many threads being opened and the same questions have been asked in the daily thread. Most everyone reads the Daily Chat so ask your questions there. I am just trying to keep from going through 2 pages of threads to keep up with all the information we have to give out and the encouragement that all of us look for.

Having too many open threads people will not get the information they are looking for because sometimes searching can get tricky. At the very beginning of each Daily/weekend chat there are links with the FAQ's, recipes and other important information. Check these out, they are VERY helpful.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/175/155

Thanks! That's very helpful.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #3  
it's always something

I think it would help if members would check the sticky thread in this forum before starting new threads, since most of their questions are answered there via dedicated thread links

The biggest help would be for all members to use the "search this forum" option at the top right of the IP forum It is also easier to zoom in on search results if the questions are in the form of new threads instead of posts that are not in a dedicated thread for that topic.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #4  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
I think it would help if members would check the sticky thread in this forum before starting new threads, since most of their questions are answered there via dedicated thread links

The biggest help would be for all members to use the "search this forum" option at the top right of the IP forum It is also easier to zoom in on search results if the questions are in the form of new threads instead of posts that are not in a dedicated thread for that topic.

Thanks
A few of us have mentioned using the dedicated thread links but no one was listening, that is why I made this post. I hope I did not step out of line by doing so, was just trying to help.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post

Thanks

Thank you!

I am a bit confused though. It sounded like you were saying to wait to post a new thread but, you are also saying we are better off continuing to post lots of threads because the new thread topic makes searching easier. I am I understanding correctly?
Old 08-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #6  

The problem for me has been that there is just SO much to weed through, and I dont usually have the time to do that if it means posting a new thread that will keep me OP. Sorry.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #7  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
It sounded like you were saying to wait to post a new thread but, you are also saying we are better off continuing to post lots of threads because the new thread topic makes searching easier. I am I understanding correctly?
I'm sorry for the confusion

Threads with the topic in the title are easiest to find when browsing a forum, but they also make a huge difference in search results.

If the member can't find the answer they are looking for by using the sticky post, s/he should use the IP forum search to see if someone has already posted a thread about the topic. If nothing turns up, s/he should ask for help. We believe that search results are more effective if they are in the form of threads, which hopefully will have descriptive titles.

To make it easier, I'm going to use the widget example

Someone needs info on how to freeze red widgets. She doesn't find the info she needs from the sticky, so she goes to the IP forum search. The search results will display thread titles for her to click on. She will look for threads that specify Red Widgets in the title. If she sees Daily Chat (with 100+ posts) she knows that it might take her a while to go through the chat thread to look for red widgets, and maybe that particular post isn't what she wanted to know. Maybe one post in the thread was about dehydrating red widgets, while another post was about freezing blue widgets. So the results are not accurate for her, but the full thread shows up in search results anyway.

We've actually had Ideal Protein newbies PM us in the past because some members insisted all questions go into the daily chat threads, and that was overwhelming to them, so they left. Daily chats are really a lot of fun and a great way to create community spirit. However a lot of members just don't like daily chats and seek support more directly. This is forum wide at 3FC as well as many or most other discussion forums online.

I hope that helps
Old 08-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #8  
it's always something

Btw, I'm not saying anyone shouldn't ask questions in a daily chat thread. If that works for you then please continue. But it may not be the first option for many people, and it's definitely not the most efficient regarding the forum search feature.

Also, only a small number of people that come to our forum are registered members who post. Most are lurkers, who for many reasons will never register for a public forum and post. But they still search our forum for answers, so we do consider what works best for them as well.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #9  

I suppose the problem lies in that no one ever searches for anything and people that have been here a while get sick of answering the same questions over and over again.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #10  

Jordanna: Maybe part of it is also we are not the small group we once were. Once upon a time all of our conversations happened in one place. Then people thought having a newbies group, an experienced group, and xx number of pounds to lose group, and so on were helpful because we actually had enough people in the same circumstance. The more things grow it seems the more likely people will be having a hard time to find what they need so... extra threads and repetition. Maybe it just is what it is??
Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #11  

It's true.

I just feel bad that I ignore half the threads because I just don't have enough time in the day! I think more people come and go in a month now than we used to have on the boards
Old 08-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #12  

I DO search, but sometimes it takes a lot of time to find exactly what im looking for, a luxury I dont have with 3 teens and being a single mom.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #13  

I agree with you. Searching is always my first step but when that fails I either give up or I'd start a new thread. I guess I'll still to the daily thread from here on out.
I've tried doing the google search with blank:3fatchicks.com
But that searches the entire forum and not just the Ideal Protein side. Which makes searching for Phase 1 recipes a little difficult.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
It's true.

I just feel bad that I ignore half the threads because I just don't have enough time in the day! I think more people come and go in a month now than we used to have on the boards
I KNOW!!! When I first started on the board I think there was a total of 24 of us. It is amazing how much things changed after a few clinic coaches started recommending the board. Do you know I actually found my recipes borrowed from here (no acknowledgment) posted on a recipes section of a clinics facebook page! Apparently we are well referenced because I had no clue whose clinic or facebook page it was. We are definitely with more people and reach than there was 2 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaliayosa View Post
I DO search, but sometimes it takes a lot of time to find exactly what im looking for, a luxury I dont have with 3 teens and being a single mom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymooser View Post
I agree with you. Searching is always my first step but when that fails I either give up or I'd start a new thread. I guess I'll still to the daily thread from here on out.
I've tried doing the google search with blank:3fatchicks.com
But that searches the entire forum and not just the Ideal Protein side. Which makes searching for Phase 1 recipes a little difficult.
I agree with you ladies! I search and get back mostly junk most of the time. It often is just a time waster.

Mooser: I think there is something wrong with that google search code. If I recall, somewhere in there it should have a thread reference. It is suppose to say ideal protein somewhere in that string of information. I will look and see if I can find out the right way and post it again.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #15  

Is the "daily thread" the one that is called the weekend thread?

I haven't looked at it yet but sometimes among people who have been together for a while there are a lot of personal posts and there is a lot to weed through. As much fun as it is to hear about everyones kids, pets, families, and lives I don't have time for that right now. Unfortunately.

I didn't know that I could search IP only. I thought the search engine would searc all of the message boards. I will try that now.
Closed Thread