Old 09-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 240/160/165

Height: 5'5

I am on month four and have noticed my hair coming out way more than it should be, even my boyfriend complains about it. My coach recommended bio tech vitamins I think they were called. I am going to try those but due to being so close to my goal I am about to phase out any ways. Hoping to have fabulous hair in six months.
cassieleeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #122  

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyS View Post
I've been losing hair pretty badly for about a month now. I have to vaccuum daily or the carpet is covered with hair. My hair is really think and long, but I think it is starting to be noticeable that my hair is thinning. I am taking biotin in the recommended dose (which I learned from the forum). All that my coach recommended was a shampoo called Nioxin. I was desperate so I did buy some. I can't say that I am noticing much of a difference, but's only been a few days... Anybody else try Nioxin?
i've also noticed this unwelcome side effect of this diet (among others)

nioxin never helped my thinning hair sadly...ive been taking something called
"hair volume" by new nordic...it has seemed to slowed down the hair in the drain and on the floor a bit

good luck
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Bump
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 403/376/165

Height: 5'7"

My hair loss began at four months and is continuing to increase. Inasmuch as I'm many pounds from goal, I simply cannot continue on this diet and lose all my hair. The hair loss combined with the ever-increasing nausea, three colds already, and other nuisances mean I'll probably go to something a bit more balanced and higher caloric for the next 100. It's been great but these side effects are too much!
JaneDeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #125  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

My hairdresser says that hair loss is not specific to Ideal Protein but instead is a side effect of rapid weight loss that happens in any kind of way.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #126  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Height: 5'9"

Has anyone tried Nioxin shampoo and conditioner for hair loss? I've heard it's wonderful.
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #127  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Just some info I googled ...

Q: How many hairs on a human head ?

A: The number of strands of hair on a human head varies with color:
BLONDE - 140,000 strands
BROWN - 110,000 strands
BLACK - 108,000 strands
RED - 90,000 strands

(I am sure these numbers are approximate with a pretty big standard deviation! Also I have a feeling that the numbers for women are larger in most cases than for men.)

Q: How many hairs lost per day is considered "typical" ?

A: Determining how many hairs are lost from the average human body in a typical day can be difficult, however some experts believe daily hair loss of between 25 and 50 per day is typical, others say between 50 and 100 hairs can be considered normal, while others say up to 200 hairs are lost from the average human body per day. Anything above the 200 hairs per day mark, however, should be considered excessive.

(Note the word "body" in this info ... I am guessing the "head hair" loss might be 1/2 that value)

Q: How long before a new hair starts growing in the follicle where the old hair fell out?

A: Often it's the process of a new hair growing that pushes out the dormant (resting) hair. So older (longer) hair is constantly being replaced by newer shorter hairs. That's why your hair ends become so uneven between hair trims/cuts/styles. And why shorter haircuts / hair styles seem thicker.

I know for me, I only shampoo once every 2nd or 3rd day (to reduce excessive removal of oils, drying the hair shaft) ... So I often have 3 days of hair loss ready to "let go" in a shampoo.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 01-11-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #128  

It is a very well known phenomenon that hair loss is a common occurrence in highly restrictive calories diets. The low fat aspect of this plan probably exacerbates it in people who are more sensitive to it.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Did not think I was going to have this side effect and indeed did not for over 8 months.

After reaching my goal in August, though I was ill, l which involved some anesthesia, and then shortly after recouperating, and being pronounced healthy again, lost my mother. All of these things combined, low calorie, low carb, anesthesia and grief are known to cause hair loss and began a fast furious hair loss problem for me over the last three months. It is coming back now...not sure what the straw that broke the camels back was...but it was not pleasant. Downright horrifying as some have commented. But also as some have said, it was all worth it to lose the weight, and I'd repeat the worst of it knowing I'd be at a healthy BMI and weight on New Year's Eve..

I'm being careful in a reboot now though to take off a few more pounds if I can, since the derailment in September was a medical issue and I decided on another 5-7 off. Oh, one more interesting thing...my hair has been almost 100% silver-grey for over 5 years now...and I do beleive what is coming in is a bit closer to my brunette of younger days...at least in the very front! Now what?! LOL...LOL..just glad to have it coming back!

Last edited by 65X65; 01-12-2014 at 07:52 AM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #130  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957 View Post

I know for me, I only shampoo once every 2nd or 3rd day (to reduce excessive removal of oils, drying the hair shaft) ... So I often have 3 days of hair loss ready to "let go" in a shampoo.
Avalon, I do the same, only shampoo every 2-3 days. Luckily my hair doesn't get oily and I have long hair and I can get away with it.

Since the beginning of this diet my stylist has warned me about hair loss. So far it hasn't been too bad.

You might consider shampooing less often and asking your stylist what to do, like using Nioxin or something
ColoradoCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:47 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 297/265/230

Height: 5.5 1/2 in.

Thumbs down Hair Loss

I have been on Ideal Protein since September 4 months and am experiencing a lot of hair loss but I need to lose this weight. I am so much better than I was. I pray it will grow back or I guess wig shopping. Not sure will discuss the supplements too.
TweetyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #132  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

One silver lining to hair loss when dieting might be ...

It could be a great motivator not to allow yourself to gain the weight back after you've lost it (which can be a major problem for a lot of dieters) ... since we all now realize that if we do gain the weight back ... we'll will have to go through another diet and more hair loss to get back to being a thinner weight.

Use this hair loss problem as motivation to:

1. stick to the diet 100% with no cheats and focus on hitting your goal asap (so you can get back to a maintenance diet with more calories, sooner)
2. not allow oneself to gain the weight back after you hit your goal.

It's interesting but I bet that vanity might be even more of a motivator than health (for some at least). I have always had health as my biggest motivator, but vanity probably runs a close second.

So hair loss while dieting, might be a blessing in disguise! Use it to motivate yourself!!

Last edited by Avalon1957; 01-13-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #133  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957 View Post
One silver lining to hair loss when dieting might be ...

It could be a great motivator not to allow oneself to gain the weight back after one has lost it (which can be a major problem for a lot of dieters) ... since you now realize that if you ever do gain the weight back ... you will have to go through another diet and more hair loss to get back to being a thinner weight.

Use this hair loss problem as motivation to:

1. stick to the diet 100% with no cheats and focus on hitting your goal asap (so you can get back to a maintenance diet with more calories, sooner)
2. not to allow yourself to gain the weight back after you hit your own self-prescribed goal.

It's interesting but I bet that vanity might be even more of a motivator than health (for some at least). I have always had health as my biggest motivator, but vanity probably runs a close second.

So hair loss while dieting, might be a blessing in disguise! Use it to motivate yourself!!
Avalon - You are right! (as usual) I love turning potential negatives into motivators
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 249.4/180/WhenIFeelSexyNaked

Height: 5'eff all

Mine has been really thinning and dull/limpy looking so decided tonite to cut it quite a bit shorter!

A bit of hair is a fair sacrifice for a healthy body
(and I am SURE people are now checking out my cute skinny a$$ rather than looking at my hair)

Bonus - it looks a lot thicker - and my face is now skinny enough to handle it short! (I always thought my head was too big before)

Agree with Avalon - go in at 100% get it done and things will return to normal in maintenance!
saskgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 167/160.4/135

Height: 5'6

Just looking to bump this thread up because my first time through IP, I experienced hair loss. I wish I had found this thread because I didn't know what was happening. I have been taking Silica so I hope this well help the second time around.
tvizz is offline   Reply With Quote