Old 01-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

bump for carrielee
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 163/151/139

Height: 5'7"

I lost 32 pounds between Aug and Mid Oct when I hit my goal - it's now Feb 1 and I'm still losing tons of hair. I'm so pleased with the weight loss, but thought the hair loss would have resolved itself by now (3.5 months on maintenance).

I've started biotin (2000mcg) and biosil (silica) drops this morning so I am hoping that helps with regrowth. I've taken omega 3s/multivitamin/calmag consistenty so hope adding these help.

I'm patient but a little worried - if the hair loss continues much longer it's going to be really noticeable.
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 197/175/150

BCGirl, this is my biggest fear with IP. I have thin long hair under the best of circumstances, and it took me years to grow it to the length that it is now. I am just starting IP and so it's not a problem for now. My daughter is on IP(maintenance now), and her hair thinned quite a lot. She has thick hair, but it was still noticeable to me. I have thyroid issues(controlled), so thick lush hair is not in the cards for me anyway. I'd hate to lose more. Any ideas what I can do to try to keep what I have? I am taking Biotin. Anything else?
parislady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 163/151/139

Quote:
Originally Posted by parislady40 View Post
BCGirl, this is my biggest fear with IP. I have thin long hair under the best of circumstances, and it took me years to grow it to the length that it is now. I am just starting IP and so it's not a problem for now. My daughter is on IP(maintenance now), and her hair thinned quite a lot. She has thick hair, but it was still noticeable to me. I have thyroid issues(controlled), so thick lush hair is not in the cards for me anyway. I'd hate to lose more. Any ideas what I can do to try to keep what I have? I am taking Biotin. Anything else?
All I can suggest adding is the BioSil - it apparently helps with regrowth and according to my naturopath MAY help with hair loss. Everything I've read says the hair loss is temporary (and for many it comes back thicker), (and it is TOTALLY worth it to me) but if I were doing it again I'd start biotin and biosil (silica) right as I started the plan.

Good luck, the hair loss doesn't seem to happen to everyone. I can say that all anyone notices is my weightloss (no one's looking at my hair these days!!)

Edit: I should also mention that the hair loss has nothing to do with IP per se, rather how successfully people lose weight as it is rapid weight loss that triggers the loss of the hair.

Last edited by BCGirl; 02-02-2012 at 08:03 PM.
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 153/139/120

Height: 5.0

I have always had thick long hair when I am fat. I know as I lose weight I loose tons of hair. IP is not any different. Over the years I have gained and lost 50Lbs plus and I can tell you the hair grows back it always does. Even when I was in the best shape of my life my hair used to fall out a little becuase you loose about a 100 every day.

Having said that I have been on this diet since June 2011 and I have lost tons of hair. My mom noticed it last week and said your hair looks thinner. This is not a good however I know it will stop and I will grow it back. Thanks to good genes I know I wont be going bald anytime soon
kdspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 233/153/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by parislady40 View Post
parislady, this is a very real fear for me as well. My hair has thinned substantially over the years (I'm 58) and I really can't afford to lose anymore. My mom, grandma and one aunt had really, really thin hair and I feel quite concerned about, although I don't intend to quit IP anytime soon. I've been doing a bit of research and have found some interesting information reagrding Ayurvedic and hair loss so when I know more, I'll post it here.
ipsbest4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

About 4 or 5 months after starting ip my hairdresser commented on all the baby hair regrowth. I hadn't really noticed the loss, as I have long thick hair and always seem to be shedding, but clearly it occurred.

I think the omegas help, and make sure to have your oil. You need some fat...
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #38  

Default Same here

I have been on IP for 9 months and have lost 93 pounds and a total loss of 195 pounds (the first 102 was eating clean). I have lost half my body but also half of my hair, I have been on Maintenance now for 6 weeks and it is slowing and I have started taking Omega 3's to help but goodness it is so bad.

I had long blonde hair which I can now see through and when pulling it into a pony tail is only about a 1/4 inch thick which is really bad. I am thinking about chopping it off short and starting over again....
mmsayetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

I don't know if my hair is falling out BUT I did notice I have three to four inches of new growth on the underside of my head (close to my neck in the back)...so something happened back there but I don't know what??? It's funny looking! I felt it and then pulled my hair up (I have long hair) and it won't fit in a high pony tail...hmm. I get my hair cut and colored next week so I'll ask my hairdresser 'bout it...I THINK my hair is fine one day and then the next I'm questioning if it's thinning out... if it does I'll have to cut it to shoulder length...
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 198/154/139

Height: 5'6"

Oh my... I had thin hair to start with. Maybe from my Metformin.

Okay, I am wig shopping. I like the Rachel Welch wigs!
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Oh my... I had thin hair to start with. Maybe from my Metformin.

Okay, I am wig shopping. I like the Rachel Welch wigs!
I'm going to look for those easy clip in extensions...maybe in a funky color. I'm turning 40 this year and think it may be an early mid-life crisis...
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #42  
Restart IP 10/19/2013

S/C/G: 195/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I've been taking the required IP supplements daily, which includes among other vitamins, 3 omega fatty pills. I just realized my hair is thinner. Also, I've been getting bloodshot eyes and blurry vision in the afternoons. Apparently, lack of biotin can cause both hair loss and red eyes (also, difficulty regulating blood sugar, plus, muscle soreness and tingling). I bought biotin and B stress Complex (two separate supplements). However, I made a dire mistake and took 2 biotin pills in the morning and one in the evening. Today I had diarrhea and nausea, then later vomiting.

The info said no side effects occur from taking too much. Today I googled again and found that was wrong. However, I also learned that biotin, in addition to being one of the B complex vitamins, is also an essential amino acid that aids in breaking down fats and digestion. I'm going to discontinue the biotin for a few days, until my system gets back to normal, then start 1 pill per day.

BTW, my eyes have been normal since taking the biotin, at least!!

Last edited by sekc14; 02-22-2012 at 10:05 PM.
sekc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #43  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I've been taking extra gelatin and I've noticed that my hair doesn't seem to be falling out anymore. It was really bad when I was on Atkins years ago, but this time only a little bit of hair loss which I think was because I was already taking fish oil. Now I think the extra gelatin helped even more.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:38 AM   #44  
Started IP 10/13/11

S/C/G: 280/170/210

Height: 5' 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
I've been taking extra gelatin and I've noticed that my hair doesn't seem to be falling out anymore. It was really bad when I was on Atkins years ago, but this time only a little bit of hair loss which I think was because I was already taking fish oil. Now I think the extra gelatin helped even more.
Fish oil works for me too...
Endless Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 197/175/150

Can anyone tell me how long into the IP diet that their hair loss started. I know it may be different for different people. I started Biotin 5000 mcg about 1 month before starting IP, and in fact I am noticing that my fine hair that normally breaks easily, seems thicker and stronger. Maybe it's too early in the program?
parislady40 is offline   Reply With Quote