Old 09-22-2011, 05:06 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 312/274/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Indian Chhole Masala Turkey Salad

CHHOLE MASALA TURKEY (Indian Big Mac in a Bowl ):
Satisfies the need for spicy Indian if you want something other than curry.

Ingredients:
Ground Turkey
1-3 teaspoons Chhole Masala spice*

2-3 Red, Yellow, or Green Peppers (Paprika)
Zucchini
Red Onions
(Optional: Eggplant)

Salad

2 Vine Tomatoes
1/4 cup Olive Oil
Sea Salt, Pepper, Herbal Salt (like Mrs Dash/ Herbamare)
1 teasp Vinegar (Strong or Apple)
1 teas Splenda (or other sugar substitute)

(* Get Chhole Masala from Asian Markets. You can make your own mix of Coriander, Cumin, Clove, Chilli, Black Pepper, Mint Leaf, Fennel Seed, Pomegranate Seed, Dry Ginger, Sea Salt, Nutmeg, Cardamon, Turmeric & Mustard. Or subsitute with Garam Masala which is easier to find)

Directions:
1. Roast Paprika and Zucchini (with 1 tsp olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt/pepper/basil) on grill BBQ or in oven (200C for 7-12 minutes). Set aside.

2. Add 1-3 teaspoons Chhole Masala spice to ground turkey meat and mix. (I use 3 tsp for a stronger taste)
3. Shape into patties and either grill on BBQ or fry in a pan. Set aside.
4. Blend 1/4 cup Olive Oil, chopped tomatoes, sea salt, pepper, 1 tsp Splenda and 1/2 - 1 of the roast paprika until "chunky smooth" (Thick dressing).
(I sometimes add additional Chhole or Garam Masala powder to the dressing, but if the turkey is well spiced, its not needed.)

5. Place Salad on plate. Cut up grilled zucchini, remaining paprika, (grilled eggplant if using), chopped raw red onions and sprinkle on salad.
6. Cut turkey patties into bite sized pieces and place on salad.
7. Spoon on Tomato Dressing (note that the amount to use is to your discression, since this will have more than recommended daily oil requirement if you use a lot. I used a generous amount as in picture and lost weight the next day.)

Last edited by FinnSteven; 09-22-2011 at 05:09 AM.
FinnSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #92  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Since I love Indian food that looks amazing. are you suing 1 pound of ground turkey? Do you think a Tandoori masala spice would work as well?
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #93  

Default Tandoori Vegetables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
Since I love Indian food that looks amazing. are you suing 1 pound of ground turkey? Do you think a Tandoori masala spice would work as well?
I used about 250g turkey and make enough for 2 meals. (four medium sized "burgers")

Yes, Tandoori would also work. Speaking of which, here is a tandoori veggie recipe.

TANDOORI VEGETABLES:
Another great Indian dish when you crave something solid from the oven.

Ingredients:
3-4 Turnips
1 small Rutabaga
1 head of Cauliflower (or 1 package frozen)
Chopped Onion
Optional, but really good: Radishes, Celery, Broccoli
Tandoori Paste (Sugar-free) or Spice
2 tsp Olive Oil
Sea Salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 225 C
2. Cut Turnips and Rutabaga into bite sized pieces
3. Boil in water with sea salt until cooked, but still very firm. Add Cauliflower in about 3-5 minutes before taking out. Drain.
4. In a bowl, add the cauliflower, turnips, rutabaga and other vegetables you are using. Add in 1 generous tablespoon of Tandoori Paste (or 1-2 teaspoons Tandoori powder with 2 teaspoons olive oil). Stir til blended.
5. Spread vegetables on a baking pan with baking paper.
6. Bake for 10 minutes being sure to check that the vegetables do not burn. You may need to cook a bit longer, so taste it before plating.
7. Spoon onto a plate and drizzle with a little more Tandoori paste.
8. Sprinkle with fresh or frozen herbs such as basil, thyme, coriander, oregeno, or rosemary.

Sadly, you will miss the dollop of sour cream or Turkish yogurt that should usually accompany this, but especially the spiced cauliflower is excellent. Also note that some Tandoori pastes have high quanities of oil (and in some powders a surprisingly high carb/fat count), so use your head and read the labels.

Last edited by FinnSteven; 09-22-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #94  

ASIAN PANCAKES (EGG FOO YOUNG) :
A variation on the Zucchini Omettes, this uses sprouts, soy, ginger & sesame seeds for a delightful hearty breakfast. I was starting to get bored of so much zucchini in my choices, and enjoyed this so much I have had it 3 days in a row for breakfast. Super filling and great tasting. (I added hot red jalepenos this morning which isnt exactly Egg Foo Young, but gave it a great kick)

Ingredients:
Sprouts (1 can (drained) or fresh)
Ginger paste (or shredded ginger)
Chopped Red Onion
1-3 tsp Soy Sauce (sugar-free. I use low salt)
1 package Ideal Protein Omlette (Plain or Herb & Cheese)
2 beaten egg whites
Sesame Seeds (preferably toasted)
1 tsp Olive Oil

(Optional: Can also add chopped mushrooms, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts as desired)

Directions:
1. Drizzle 1 tsp olive oil in pan and cook sprouts with 1 tsp soy sauce and 1 tsp ginger paste (more or less to taste). Set aside.
2. Beat egg whites until fluffy. Add in package of Ideal Protein Omlette mix.
3. Add cooked sprouts and the chopped onion and any other vegetable you choose. Add in additional 1 tsp Soy Sauce if desired. (Note that its usually better to add the soy to the finished product to ensure its not too salty)
4. Add 1/3 - 1/2 cup of mixture to pan on med-high heat and spread the mixture out to form a pancake shape. As it is cooking, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Turn the pancake when cooked and sprinkle on more sesame seeds. Add a dash of soy sauce over top before taking from pan.
5. Makes 3-4 large pancakes.
6. Serve with unsweetened iced lemon ginger herbal tea.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #95  

Default Herbs Anytime: Try Freezing

FRESH HERBS ANYTIME: There is nothing like fresh herbs to awaken your taste buds and bring rich, strong flavors to your food. These are especially great for salad dressings, spicing up tomatoes, veggies and meat, or even adding to your olive oil bottle for infused flavor.

Unfortunately, many of the fresh herbs I bought would die before I could use them all.

OK... Maybe I am being Captain Obvious and everyone else knows this...I have found that herbs freeze amazingly well and allow you to quickly get that fresh taste without mess or waste. Get a few small freezer safe plastic containers (like Tupperware). Place a piece of tape on the lid and write the herb name on the tape to label it.

Chop up the fresh herbs with scissors (or herb chopper.) Place in dry container and freeze. That's all there is to it. Here are some of my go-to herbs and mixes.

1. Basil
2. Dill
3. Rosemary
4. Parsley
5. Coriander
6. Mint
7. Herbs De Provence Mix: Basil, Oregeno, Thyme, Marjoram, Parsley (I also add edible lavender which gives a great subtle flavor)
8. Asian Mix: Chopped lemon grass, chopped ginger, coriander, chopped water chestnuts
Old 09-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #96  

Default Grilled Pepper Steak w/ Sweet Vinegar Mustard Mushroom Sauce

GRILLED PEPPER STEAK W/ SWEET VINEGAR MUSTARD MUSHROOM SAUCE: This is a different kind of sweet & sour for those who love sauces.

Ingredients:
Steak (your choice of cut)
Ground Black Pepper & Sea Salt
1 -2 tsp Mustard Powder

Fresh Mushrooms
Rosemary (Fresh or Dried)
2 tsp Olive Oil
Ground Black Pepper & Sea Salt

2 - 4 TB Dijon or Provence (Garlic + Red Pepper) Mustard (sugar-free)
1 tsp American Mustard
1 - 2 tsp Vinegar (strong or apple)
1 tsp Splenda (or other sweetener)
Black Pepper & Sea Salt
Red or White Onion (chopped)

Salad
Cucumbers (chopped)

Dill Pickles (chopped)

Directions:
1. Sprinkle steak with mustard powder. Then sprinkle with black pepper and sea salt to taste.
2. Grill steak on barbeque, pan or oven.
3. Add salad and cucumbers to your plate.
4. When steak is ready, remove from heat and cut into strips when cool enough to handle. Place on the bed of lettuce.
5. Put mushrooms in a bowl. Add Olive Oil, rosemary, and salt& pepper to taste and stir til covered.
6. Grill mushrooms until cooked. Take off heat. When cooled, chop into bite size pieces or slices (including stems)
(Alternately, you can use canned mushrooms (drained) and cook in a pan with a touch of olive oil and spices, but th e flavor is better with fresh grilled mushrooms)
7. Add the Mustards, vingegar, splenda, and spices to a frying pan and heat. Add in onion and stir til it just starts to bubble. IMPORTANT! Taste the sauce. Add more vinegar, mustard or slenda to taste until balanced. You can add in 1 oz milk or water if overall taste is too strong, but be careful not to make too sauce too thin.
8. Add in cooked and chopped mushrooms and stir.
9. Immediately spoon over the steak on the salad and eat right away.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #97  

Default Caramel Frappuccino (with IP Butterscotch Pudding)

CARAMEL FRAPPUCCINO (IP Butterscotch Pudding):

What a great idea from the "It's A Breeze" Clinic from Tampa, FL. For non-coffee drinkers, substitute herbal tea (Like Yogi Tea's Cinnamon Spice or Roobois African Spice).

Looking to start your morning with a treat? Or need a delicious afternoon pick-me-up? Here's a healthy alternative to Starbuck's Dulce de Leche Frappaccino. Slash calories and fat but not tastiness!

Ingredients

1 Ideal Protein Butterscotch Pudding Mix

1-3 tsp of cinnamon (original recipe calls for 1 TB, but I think that's too much)

1 packet of Splenda or Truvia

1/4 cup of ice

8 oz of cooled coffee (or 2 teabags of herbal tea such as Yogi Tea Roobios African Spice)

Directions:

Blend all ingredients until a frappuccino/ smoothie texture develops. Pop in a straw and enjoy!

I made this with the herbal tea and it was INCREDIBLE. The next day I tried it with the Strawberry Pudding (which I hate) and added 1 tsp of cardamom in addition to the cinnamon and Wild Strawberry African Roobios herbal tea. It was bliss. I think the secret to improving the pudding's flavor is the Truvia sweetener packet and the flavored Roobios.

Link to original article: http://breezinentertainment.typepad....ppaccino-.html

Last edited by FinnSteven; 09-26-2011 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Changed 1 TB cinnamon to 1-3 tsp.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 182.6/142.8/135

Height: 5.3

Wow, I can't believe I waited this long to ever click on this thread. Thank You for sharing these and keep 'em comin' !
wildflower613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #99  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Steven, Thanks for the Tandoori vege recipe. I tried it and it was wonderful. I never thought of adding oil to the spice and spreading it on vegetables.
Also..I have been making a mock egg foo young omelette also..but you jazzed my recipe up. Great.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #100  

Default Banana Bread (IP Banana Pudding)

BANANA BREAD (IP Banana Pudding):
Stretch your pudding and create a tasty snack that makes 9 medium or 6 large portions... All for you and all together count as only 1 non-restricted item!

Ingredients:
2 beaten egg whites
1 Package IP Banana Pudding
1 cup or more shredded zucchini
1 tsp baking powder
1 small package Truvia, Splenda or other sweetener (about 1 tsp)
1 tsp or more cinnamon
1/2 tsp or more cardamom
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 - 1 tsp nutmeg
Optional: 1 tsp Rum extract and/or vanilla extract
Optional: Yellow food coloring (if you are sensitive about food looking more Banana-y. I dont use it)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 180 C (bout 350 F)
1. Grate zucchini (I use 1/2 a large zucchini for about 1-1.5 cups). Use a paper towel to soak up the moisture/water from the zucchini.
2. Dust the shredded zucchini with the various spices (cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, nutmeg) and let sit for about 2 minutes.
3. While waiting, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold a shape.
4. Add in IP Banana pudding, baking powder, and sweetener. Blend.
5. Add in zucchini and rum/vanilla extract if using and blend.
6. Spray a muffin tin with Pam or other non-stick spray.
7. Pour batter into muffin tins. I made 9 med size filling each 1/2 way up. It will also make 6 large if you want.
8. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until top turns dark, but not burned. (Watch carefully).

NOTE: This "bread" will puff up gorgeously when baking, but will often deflate after taking from the oven. You can try cooking a bit longer or just enjoy the funny looking, but tasty treats as they fall. ("Fallen" bread is in the picture.)

This recipe will also work with Chocolate IP Pudding.

MORE NOTES:
I have to admit that I really dislike the Banana Pudding by itself, so looked for a way to re-imagine it in a way I would enjoy. I would absolutely make this recipe again.

I have previously posted a recipe for cupcakes which are ok, but not my favourite. This version is quite a bit better. Believe it or not, the zucchini gives it much more body as well as increases your portions dramatically. It also transforms into a delicious taste when the spices are added and it bakes. The Truvia sweetener is also a revelation in these, because it takes away the slightly chalky flavor of the pudding and makes it taste much better.

Lastly, I am from Finland, where Cardamom is King, so I am biased... but I think the taste and texture that spice gives really improves the overall banana taste. But you can make it without the cardamom as well if you dont have any.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #101  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

I made banana nut muffins for the family this weekend and they looked and smelled so good. It's nice to know that I could have something similar. Those look very good! Thanks for posting this!
Paint Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #102  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Lady View Post
I made banana nut muffins for the family this weekend and they looked and smelled so good. It's nice to know that I could have something similar. Those look very good! Thanks for posting this!
These are good, but they definately are not the same thing. My goal in creating or adapting recipes is to first try to bring out the tastes most associated with the real thing, then get the texture.

These arent as hearty, thick or filling as real banana bread, but the spices and the sweetener give the flavor we miss. The zucchini stretches the recipe so instead of 3 puny bites, you get quite a few to snack on.

So with managed expectations, these are very nice. There are many recipes on this thread which are exceptional and delicious. The Banana Bread recipe is one that is good (and that I would make again) but more of an alternative for when you are bored and want something new rather than gotta have it

(The Caramel Frappuccino above is my new gotta have it. And to think I almost didnt get the Butterscotch Pudding because I dont love the puddings. Foolish me!)
Old 09-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #103  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

You know what, I probably wouldn't even like the real stuff anymore. My tastes have definitely changed. I cooked sliced zucchini in a little olive oil last night with sea salt and a little bit of granulated garlic and couldn't believe how sweet it actually tasted. I don't remember zucchini being that sweet. I've gained a new appreciation for natural sweetness from the vegetables. "Real" banana nut muffins would likely make me sick. We just have to keep doing what we have to do, and liking the food we are eating is a definite bonus! Your recipes are definitely helping!
Paint Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #104  

Default Mexican Chocolate Pancakes (IP Chocolate Pancakes)

MEXICAN CHOCOLATE PANCAKES (IP Chocolate Pancakes):
I like the Chocolate Pancakes, but felt the portion was a little small and wasnt enough to want to "waste" my restricted for the day on them. However, sneaking in zucchini & egg whites make bigger, more filling portions and the extra spices gives it a little more zing.

The egg whites are optional, though (and make it a little less pancake-y and more cake-y). Next time, I would make this without the egg whites and just use water for a more pancake texture. But these were good.

Ingredients
1 package IP Chocolate Pancakes (Restricted Item)
Choose to use either 2 beaten egg whites OR water (according to package directions... 8oz)
1 - 1.5 cups shredded zucchini
2-3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 tsp chili powder
Optional: 1 tsp cardamom, 1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Shred Zucchini.
2. Sprinkle with cinnamon and chili powder and let sit for 2-5 minutes
3a. if using eggs, beat the egg whites (with a pinch of sea salt) until stiff.
OR
3b. Pour water into bowl
4. Add the IP Chocolate Pancakes to the liquid and mix until blended.
5. Add zucchini and spices and mix til blended.
6. Drop about 1/4 cup batter onto med-hot pan. Let cook until solid so you can flip it without it falling apart. (about 2 min) You can usually cook 2 pancakes at a time.
7. I spray the pancakes with "I Can't Believe Its Not Butter" and eat as is. Others eat with Walden Farms Maple Syrup or other zero carb/zero sugar/zero fat topping.

I used 1/3 cup and made 4 huge pancakes with this, compared to 3 small ones without the zucchini.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #105  

Default Sesame Ginger Steak Salad

SESAME GINGER STEAK SALAD:
Not much to say other than this is super easy and delicious. The sesame, ginger, and soy were a great flavor break from what I typically have been eating, so it really hit the spot.

Ingredients:
Steak (Your choice of cut. I used "minute steak"...the really thin cut)
1 -2 tsp Ginger powder
Black Pepper & Sea Salt
Soy Sauce (no sugar)
2 tsp Olive Oil
Sliced Red and Yellow Bell Peppers (paprika) (I used from a jar)
Sesame Seeds (toasted if possible)
Salad

Dressing (Mix together well, taste, and adjust flavors to your liking)
1/8 cup Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Hot Mustard (sugar free... Can use your choice of flavor)
1 tsp ginger paste or grated ginger
1 package Truvia or other sweetener (about 1 tsp)
Sea Salt & Crushed Black Pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Put Olive Oil in a bowl. Add 1-2 tsp ginger powder to taste (I use 2tsp). Add salt and pepper. Add soy sauce. mix.
2. Dip steak(s) in the mixture and let marinate for about 5 minutes or more.
4. Sprinkle on about 1/2 TB sesame seeds.
5. Lay salad onto plate and add sliced bell peppers (can also add cucumber and/or dill pickles to taste)
3. Grill or cook meat.
4. When cooked, right before removing from heat, add additional 1/2 tsp of sesame seeds to meat.
5. When cooled a bit, cut into strips and lay on salad. (you can also drizzle a bit more soy on the meat too.) Spoon on about 1 TB dressing and enjoy.

Alternately, you can use just the soy sauce for a lighter, oil-free dressing or just use American Mustard as a dressing for a wonderful clash of flavor against the sesame ginger of the meat.