Ideal Protein recipes & pix from Finland

You're on Page 8 of 29
Go to
  • Man you have imagination, boy they all look so good, will have to try some.
  • Quote: CHHOLE MASALA TURKEY (Indian Big Mac in a Bowl ):
    Satisfies the need for spicy Indian if you want something other than curry.

Ingredients:
    Ground Turkey
    1-3 teaspoons Chhole Masala spice*

2-3 Red, Yellow, or Green Peppers (Paprika)
    Zucchini
    Red Onions
    (Optional: Eggplant)

Salad

2 Vine Tomatoes
    1/4 cup Olive Oil
    Sea Salt, Pepper, Herbal Salt (like Mrs Dash/ Herbamare)
    1 teasp Vinegar (Strong or Apple)
    1 teas Splenda (or other sugar substitute)

(* Get Chhole Masala from Asian Markets. You can make your own mix of Coriander, Cumin, Clove, Chilli, Black Pepper, Mint Leaf, Fennel Seed, Pomegranate Seed, Dry Ginger, Sea Salt, Nutmeg, Cardamon, Turmeric & Mustard. Or subsitute with Garam Masala which is easier to find)

Directions:
    1. Roast Paprika and Zucchini (with 1 tsp olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt/pepper/basil) on grill BBQ or in oven (200C for 7-12 minutes). Set aside.

2. Add 1-3 teaspoons Chhole Masala spice to ground turkey meat and mix. (I use 3 tsp for a stronger taste)
    3. Shape into patties and either grill on BBQ or fry in a pan. Set aside.
    4. Blend 1/4 cup Olive Oil, chopped tomatoes, sea salt, pepper, 1 tsp Splenda and 1/2 - 1 of the roast paprika until "chunky smooth" (Thick dressing).
    (I sometimes add additional Chhole or Garam Masala powder to the dressing, but if the turkey is well spiced, its not needed.)

5. Place Salad on plate. Cut up grilled zucchini, remaining paprika, (grilled eggplant if using), chopped raw red onions and sprinkle on salad.
    6. Cut turkey patties into bite sized pieces and place on salad.
    7. Spoon on Tomato Dressing (note that the amount to use is to your discression, since this will have more than recommended daily oil requirement if you use a lot. I used a generous amount as in picture and lost weight the next day.)
    Finn,
    You should do a cookbook, I would buy it! This looks soooooo good, can't wait to try it
  • Succulent Seafood Patties
    SUCCULENT SEAFOOD PATTIES:
    These are quick & easy to make and can be taken with you to work to heat in the microwave as well. Don't be intimidated by the ingredients list...many herb substitutions are welcome and you usually have most ingredients to make this work on hand. This one really hit the spot and satisfied the cravings for a toasted tuna sandwich or a crab patty.

Ingredients:
    1 can tuna (in water)
    2 beaten egg whites (add 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar if desired)
    Handful of Red/Yellow/Green Bell Pepper (Paprika) chopped in small pieces (about 1/4 cup or less)
    Handful of chopped leek or red/white onion (about 1/4 cup or less)
    Splash of Lemon Juice
    Herbs (I use about 1 TB of an asian herb mix I make and freeze which includes:
    Parsley, Cilantro, Lemongrass, Ginger (very small pieces), & Red Chili. Don't worry if you dont have them all and you can substitute Basil, Oregano, etc. Though if you can find them, the herbs listed above work best for the right flavor)
    Sea Salt & Crushed Black Pepper & White Pepper
    Salad
    Salad Dressing (your choice. I use Olive Oil, Black Pepper, Sea Salt, Lemon Juice, 1 package of Truvia (or other sweetener), 1 TB Mustard, Pinch of cilantro, & ginger paste)

Directions:
    1. Drain Tuna and put in bowl.
    2. Add salt (not too much!), pepper (lots) and herbs (best with parsley, cilantro, ginger...add the lemongrass & red chili if you have them. Substitute with other herbs like dill or thyme to your taste)
    3. Add chopped bell peppers and leek/onion. You can also add in chopped cucumber, chilis, or zucchini if desired.
    4. Squirt in lemon juice and stir til blended. (Tuna should not be in big chunks) Drain any liquid before adding to egg whites.
    5. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff (you can add Cream of Tartar if you want it thicker)
    6. Drop in tuna mix and fold together.
    7. Add 2 tsp olive oil to pan
    8. Drop about 1/4 cup batter onto hot pan on stove. (Usually fits 2 patties at a time).
    9. Cook until you are able to flip over, being careful not to flip too early or it will break apart. (Not a big deal, though... still tastes great)
    10. Place cooked patties onto lettuce leaves.
    11. Use your favourite Ideal Protein approved dressing. (Recipe for what I use is above, but this would taste great with a wide variety of dressings like sweet onion, asian, lemon poppyseed, dill, etc)

Makes 4-6 good sized patties.
  • Delicious! Hei, mita kuuluu?
  • Quote: Delicious! Hei, mita kuuluu?
    Moi, AvaLynn. We are just starting work on the Finnish langauge translations of all of these recipes for a Finnish FB page. We will also have a different FB format than the english one with tabs to allow views for both what I post as well as what other members post so there can be more interaction, but still allow for a clean view if you just want to see the recipes.

Anyway, here is an update to the Banana Bread recipe previously posted changed to make Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins . They still didnt stay puffy when taken from the over (the centers fell), but the taste was excellent. Another way to re-energize your puddings into new tastes as well as stretch the portions while getting some more veggies in. I was surprised that the zucchini worked so well in this, since I was concerned it might not be good with the lemon. (Forgetting that I love the cooked shredded zucchini with just lemon and black pepper in a little olive oil.)

LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS (IP Lemon Pudding):
    Here is an update to the banana bread recipe (Sorry, no new picture, but they look similar)

LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS (IP Lemon Pudding):

Ingredients:
    2 beaten egg whites
    1 Package IP Lemon Pudding
    1 cup or more shredded zucchini
    1.5 tsp baking powder
    1 small package Truvia, Splenda or other sweetener (about 1 tsp)
    1 tsp or more cinnamon
    Up to 1 TB poppy seeds (more or less to taste
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ginger powder

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 180 C (bout 350 F)
    1. Grate zucchini (I used a little over 1.5 cups). Use a paper towel to soak up the moisture/water from the zucchini. (This is important to not have the bread be too wet)
    2. Dust the shredded zucchini with the various spices (poppy seeds, cinnamon, ginger nutmeg) and the sweetener (Truvia) and let sit for about 2-5 minutes.
    3. While waiting, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold a shape. You can add 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar to thicken if desired.
    4. Add in IP Lemon pudding & baking powder. Blend.
    5. Add in zucchini (and rum/vanilla extract if using) and blend.
    6. Spray a muffin tin with Pam or other non-stick spray.
    7. Pour batter into muffin tins. I made 7 med size filling each 3/4 way up. It will also make 6 large if you want.
    8. Cook for about 15-20 minutes until top turns dark, but not burned. (Watch carefully).

NOTE: This "bread" will puff up gorgeously when baking, but will deflate after taking from the oven. You can try cooking a bit longer or just enjoy the funny looking, but tasty treats as they fall. ("Fallen" bread is in the picture...and apologies, the picture is for the banana bread. Lemon Poppy looks exactly the same only with more black poppy seed dots. )
  • Salad Dressing Recipes - Ideal Protein Phase 1
    SALAD DRESSINGS!
    Here is a huge list of great recipes. This was my first recipe request when starting the diet...Dressings! I spent the first 2 weeks only using soy sauce, mustard or tapatio (hot sauce) before discovering a wealth of other delicious options.

Most of these recipes just call for adding everything to a jam jar, closing it, and shaking like crazy. However, some require a blender, so read the instructions.

Only a couple of these are original recipes from me... most are from various Ideal Protein message boards, so thanks & apologies to the creators!

CILANTRO, MUSTARD & LIME with CAPERS

1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    1 1/2 teaspoon whole grain mustard
    2 limes, finely grated rind and juice
    1 Tablespoon rice vinegar (I use strong white vinegar instead)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 teaspoon capers
    3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
    Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Place the garlic, mustard, lime, rind, juice, and vinegar in a bowl and mix together. Slowly pour in the oil, whisking constantly, until well emulsified. Stir in the capers and cilantro. Season with black pepper, to taste.
    -Makes about 1 cup.

I have also made this without capers, leave out the garlic, and much more cilantro. Really fresh and excellent. I used a variation on this for the CORIANDER SHRIMP recipe which is one of my all-time favourites.

THAI DRESSING

1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely sliced
    3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 teaspoon Splenda or Stevia
    1 teaspoon soy sauce
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 teaspoon sesame seeds
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper, crushed

Combine all ingredients and mix well.

FRESH HERB DRESSING

1/4 cup rice vinegar (I use strong white vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
    2 Tablespoons fresh basil leaves
    1 Tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
    1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves
    1 small clove garlic
    1/2 teaspoon Splenda or other sweetener
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup olive oil

In a blender add rice vinegar, fresh basil, oregano and rosemary leaves, garlic, Splenda , salt, and pepper. Blend 10 to 15 seconds until all the herbs and garlic are finely minced. Gradually add the olive oil and continue blending for 10 to 15 seconds or until everything is mixed well.
    -Makes about 2/3 cup-(Phases 1-4).

TOMATO DRESSING

1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
    2 Tablespoons white vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

In a blender, blend tomatoes, vinegar, basil, thyme, and mustard until well combined. To store, transfer to a jar with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Shake well before serving tomato vinaigrette.

You can also add Indian spices to this such as Garam Masala or Thai seasoning (Red Curry) for a different taste

LIGHT DRESSING

2 Tablespoons water
    1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    pinch each salt and pepper
    2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

In a small bowl, whisk together water, vinegar, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper; gradually whisk in olive oil.
    -Makes about 1/3 cup.

LEMON CHIVE DRESSING

1/4 olive oil
    2 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives or green onions
    1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    2 Tablespoons lemon juice
    1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 small clove garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper

In small bowl, whisk together oil, chives, lemon rind and juice, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper.
    -Serve with torn mixed salad greens.

POPPY SEED DRESSING

1/3 cup olive oil (Can also use Sesame or Walnut oil, but Ideal Protein Phase 1 prefer use is Olive)
    2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    1 shallot or small onion, minced
    1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
    1 teaspoon Splenda or Stevia
    1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper

In bowl or jar, whisk or shake together oil, vinegar, shallot, poppy seeds, Splenda, salt and pepper.
    -Makes 1/2 cup.

GINGER DRESSING

2 Tablespoons rice or cider vinegar
    1 Tablespoon grated gingerroot
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1 Tablespoon soy sauce
    1/4 teaspoon each Splenda (or other sweetener)
    Sea salt and pepper
    1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

Mix vinegar with ginger and let stand for 2 minutes. Strain into bowl, press to extract liquid. Whisk in oil, soy sauce, Splenda, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce.

CORIANDER DRESSING

1/4 cup olive oil
    3 Tablespoons lime juice
    2 Tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
    1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin and salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

In small bowl, whisk together all ingredients.

ROASTED GARLIC DRESSING

2 Tablespoons French shallots, chopped
    1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    pinch white pepper
    Optional: 1 egg white
    6 cloves garlic, roasted in a 360 degree oven until softened and lightly browned (about 20 minutes)
    1 cup olive oil

In a blender, blend all ingredients except oil. While blender is running, add oil in a thin stream until emulsified. Serve roasted garlic vinaigrette immediately.

APPLE CIDER DRESSING

1 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1 1/2 teaspoon Splenda or Stevia
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
    2/3 cup canola or olive oil

Whisk mustard, Splenda, salt, pepper, vinegar, and chopped parsley together in a bowl. Slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly, until thickened. Adjust the seasonings to taste. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Bring apple cider vinaigrette to room temperature before using.

MAPLE DRESSING

1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup Ideal Protein maple syrup
    2 Tablespoons Splenda or Stevia
    2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 small clove garlic
    1/2 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
    salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
    1/2 cup canola or olive oil

In a blender, mix all ingredients together. Slowly drizzle in the oil, blending constantly, until thickened. Adjust the seasonings to taste. Serve maple vinaigrette at room temperature.

RASPBERRY DASH SALAD DRESSING (IP Raspberry Flavored Gelatin)

1/2 teaspoon Ideal Protein Raspberry Flavored Gelatin
    1/2 teaspoon of Mrs. Dash "Garlic and Herb" salt-free seasoning blend
    (or Herbamare)
    1 Tablespoon of your favorite olive oil

Preparation:

Stir together the Ideal Protein Raspberry Flavored Gelatin and the "Garlic and Herb" Seasoning. Drizzle the olive oil over a salad and toss. Now toss and sprinkle in the combined Raspberry Dash dressing and enjoy! Tip: keep a pre-mixed dressing shaker with you to take into restaurants. Variations: create a dipping sauce by mixing in(small amounts of) lemon juice and the olive oil ahead of time. (After a while, the gelatin sets up and settles to the bottom, so stir the mixture up as you dip. It makes little globs, bursting with flavor, which sticks loosely to what you are dipping (Try it with Celery)

GUILT-FREE ITALIAN DRESSING/ MARINADE
    2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning
    1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1/2 cup White or Apple Cider Vinegar
    1/4 cup Water

Combine all ingredients in a bottle (something you can shake). This can be used on salads or on your meat before cooking. This will yield 6-8 cups of salad or a whole head of lettuce. I put lettuce in a bowl with fresh veggies, pour dressing on, lid the bowl, and shake it. This will coat the lettuce nicely and the rest will go to the bottom of the bowl so you aren't drowning the salad.
    Reminds me of Olive Garden salad!

60 calories per tablespoon, 0 carbs, 0 sugar

HOMEMADE KETCHUP
    1 can of Tomato Paste
    1-3 tsp Splenda
    1/8 c Cider Vinegar (can be up to 1/3 cup to taste)
    1 tsp Garlic powder
    1 tsp Onion powder
    2 tsp Sea Salt

SWEET ONION DRESSING
    1/8 cup purple onion finely chopped
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 - 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
    1 packet Splenda (or other sweetener)
    1 tsp dried mustard
    1 tsp sea salt

ORIENTAL DRESSING
    1/8 c olive oil
    1/3 c apple cider vinegar
    1/3 c Soy sauce
    2 T Dijon or hot mustard
    1 T garlic
    Optional (but excellent): Ginger and/or Wasabi (Horseradish)
    (Blend on High)

BASIL DRESSING
    1/8 c Olive oil
    1/3 c. apple cider vinegar
    1 T Garlic
    Handful of fresh or frozen Basil to taste (or 2TB from Basil in a Tube)
    1 T. lime juice
    Sea Salt & Ground Black Pepper
    (You can add 1 tsp Walden Farms Mayo for a creamier texture, but I think its nasty and would rather use 1/2 tsp real Mayo (sugar-free) or nothing)
    (Blend on High)

Sources: Gutierrez, Philippe, and Anouk D. Moreau. Ideal Protein: Healthy Recipes

Additional ideas from: http://www.hchc.org/idealprotein/recipes//

Photo courtesy of "O cozinheiro este algarve"
  • Indian Chili Pakoras (IP Oatmeal + IP Vegetable Chili)
    CHILI PAKORAS (IP Oatmeal + IP Chili):
    Devilishly good...tastes like a deep fried main course at an expensive Indian restaurant. This makes about 9 good sized portions (meaning you can enjoy 4-5 portions in one day.) Don't be intimidated by this recipe...its very easy, but just takes a bit of preparation for the veggies.

Ingredients:
    1 packet IP Maple Oatmeal
    1 packet IP Vegetable Chili
    1/4 tsp baking powder (1ml)
    1/8 tsp baking soda (about 3 small pinches)
    4oz hot water (120 ml)
    1 tsp olive oil
    1/4 tsp - 1/2 teaspoon Indian Herbs (I use more)
    (example: Garam Masala, Meat Masala, Chhole Masala or a mix of your choice of chili peppers, cumin, turmeric, funugreek, ginger, coriander, mint, curry, cardamom, cinnamon, etc)
    Cooked vegetables of your choice from the IP select list.
    (I used uncooked zucchini (both chopped and shredded), roasted cauliflower & broccoli, and raw red onion. You can also add in mushrooms, garlic, etc)

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 175 C (350F).
    2. Shred about 1/4 cup zucchini. Cut about 1/8-1/4 cup zucchini into small cubes. Chop up about 1/4 of a raw red onion into small pieces. (about 1/8 cup)
    3. Roast or Boil Cauliflower and Broccoli until slightly cooked. (Should still be firm.) I prefer to roast them, sprinkled with Indian Herbs and a little sea salt.
    4. Blend the IP Oatmeal, IP Chili, baking powder, baking soda, hot water, olive oil, and indian herbs until a dough is formed.
    5. Chop up the cauliflower and broccoli into small pieces.
    6. Add all vegetables to the dough and still until everything is covered
    7. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray. Spoon the dough into 8-10 muffins. (I spooned in 9 about halfway full.)
    8. Bake in oven for about 25 minutes. Test with a toothpick to make sure they are not too moist. The muffins will hold their shape nicely when fully cooked, but should be almost dry to touch. Just be careful not to burn the tops. I took the pan out at 25 min and took out half of the Pakoras, then let the remainder cook for an additional 5 minutes to get crisper.
    9. Enjoy 1/2 of the portions immediately out of the oven when cool enough to not burn your mouth off.

Because both the IP Oatmeal and the IP Vegetable Chili are restricted products, you can only eat 1/2 of what you make in one day. Reheat the remainder in the oven (preferred about 5 min) or microwave (ok, but will lose the crispness of baking in the oven)

I thought these were outstanding.

This is a slightly modified version of the recipe from the "Ideal Everyday Vol. 3" cookbook by Phillippe Gutierrez
  • Steven..Those Pakoras look amazing. I just now noticed your seafood patties. I am a crab cake lover and have not had one for months. Now I can have something close. Thanks for the wonderful ideas!
    Have you ever tried Ethipian Berberi spice mixture? It is excellent.
  • Chicken 3 Ways (Lemon Poppy Seed, Mustard a la provencale, Gingerbread)
    CHICKEN 3 WAYS:
    When you get tired of eating the same meats over & over, try using spices you wouldnt normally use to wake up your taste buds. I will also often buy bigger packages of chicken breasts to save money, but cook the chicken different ways to share with the rest of the family or to eat over the next 2 days (on salad, cold or re-heated is best. Having multiple flavours also helps if you want different tastes at the same meal, so you take a portion of each flavor)

Marination time is up to you. I have marinated in the refrigerator for up to 1 hour and I have marinated just for 5 minutes. I dont notice a huge change of flavor in the mustard or gingerbread. The citrus flavor does come stronger in the lemon poppyseed with a longer marination, but not mandatory, since you squeeze more lemon on it before serving anyway.

SWEET LEMON POPPYSEED CHICKEN
    Ingredients

Chicken Breasts
    Poppyseeds
    1-2 TB Lemon Juice (I use fresh lemon)
    2 TB Olive Oil
    1 packet Truvia or other sweetener
    Sea Salt, white pepper
    Other spices to taste (ie., Mrs Dash/ Herbamare, thyme)

Directions
    1. Add the oil, 1 TB lemon juice, sweetener, pinch of sea salt, white pepper and whatever other herbs you are using in a bowl. Mix til blended
    2. Add chicken and let marinate for 5-45 minutes.
    3. Take chicken out of marinade and sprinkle on both sides with poppy seeds (approx 1-2 tsp per breast is average, but its to your taste)
    4. Grill chicken either on a barbeque (preferred) or in a non-stick frying pan.
    5. Right before taking from the pan, spinkle again generously with the remaining lemon juice.

This is excellent alone or on a salad.

MUSTARD CHICKEN A LA PROVENCALE
    (Garlic, Mustard & Bell Pepper/ Paprika)
    Ingredients

Chicken Breasts
    Maille Mustard a la provencale
    (If you do not have that, blend Dijon or other mustard with garlic and 1/4 red or yellow bell pepper. If you dont want to do that, use a Dijon mustard with 1 tsp Paprika powder and 1/4-1/2 tsp garlic powder)
    2 tsp olive oil
    Sea salt and crushed black pepper

Directions
    1. In a bowl, add oil, mustard, & spices. Mix til blended.
    2. Add chicken and let marinate for 5-15 minutes
    3. Grill chicken on barbeque (preferred) or non-stick pan. Note that the mustard will cook as well, so be sure to spray the pan with non-stick spray and watch the meat so it does not burn.
    4. When cooked, remove from pan and spread on additional mustard to taste. (I also sprinkle with a touch of paprika powder and serve with sliced bell peppers)

GINGERBREAD CHICKEN
    Ingredients

Chicken Breasts
    4 tsp olive oil
    1 tsp (or more to taste) Gingerbread spice (or mix yourself 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger powder, 1/8 teas allspice, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, pinch (1/16-1/8 tsp) ground cloves... then measure out 1tsp)
    1 packet Truvia or other sweetener
    Additional cinnamon if desired

Directions
    1. In a bowl, add olive oil, gingerbread spice and sweetener. Blend.
    2. Add chicken and let marinate for 5-20 minutes
    3. Grill chicken on barbeque (preferred) or non-stick pan. Note that the gingerbread spices can be fairly strong, so you may want to slightly sprinkle with 1/2 a package of Truvia or other sweetener just before taking off the grill, but its not mandatory. (I don't. However, I do sprinkle with a light dusting of cinnamon before serving).

Reading the above post, I am sure making chicken with Ethiopian Berbere spice would also be excellent. Link to how to make your own berbere spice is here
  • Mock Sushi
    MOCK SUSHI:
    Sushi fans will love this! If you are brave, patient, & willing to break the rules -- this is a real showstopper that tastes gorgeous. Cauliflower replaces the rice, but you'll be surprised how the extra crunch actually improves the experience.

Ingredients:
    1 head fresh cauliflower (You will grate about 1-2 cups)
    2 tsp Rice Vinegar
    1 package Truvia or other sweetener
    1 Pinch Sea Salt (about 1/8 tsp)
    1 tsp olive oil
    Soy Sauce (sugar-free)
    Cucumber (sliced into strips)
    Red Bell Pepper (sliced and cut into strips)
    Lettuce (I use iceberg for a better crunch)
    Nori Sheets (Roasted seaweed to wrap up the sushi)
    OPTIONAL: Wasabi / Sushi Ginger / Toasted Sesame Seeds

Sushi Mat (optional)

Directions:
    1. Grate 1-2 cups of cauliflower into rice-size bits. Place in microwave safe bowl.
    2. Add vinegar, sweetener, oil and sea salt. Mix til blended.
    3. Microwave on high until cauliflower is cooked & steaming. (About 2 minutes, but may be a bit more.) Should be a bit sticky. Taste and add a little more vinegar if needed.
    NOTE: (This is why you need to be brave..."rice" should not be wet or it may destroy your Nori. It should be fine, but you may want to pat with a paper towel)
    4. Place Nori on Sushi mat (or dry surface.)
    5. Place "rice" evenly on the Nori (leaving a little space at the top.
    6. Cut some iceberg lettuce and place at the bottom of the nori. (closest to you)
    7. Layer on a slice of cucumber and bell pepper strips so that they go across the lettuce. (See picture)
    8. Carefully roll up the Nori tightly.
    NOTE: Here is why you need to be patient. Because the cauliflower is not as sticky as the rice, the sushi roll doesnt naturally stay together well and can fall apart if you are not careful. Don't be scared. If you think it isnt going to be easy to cut, then put the roll into the freezer for about 15 minutes to "set it". Get a very sharp nice to cut and they should be great. (I start cutting in the middle of the roll and usually just eat the ends messy if they dont hold up. Everything else looked great.)
    8. Sprinkle each roll with soy sauce.
    9. I eat with wasabi and ginger. I think they are mandatory for full enjoyment. (HOWEVER: Most store-bought wasabi and sushi ginger are made with sugar. You can make your own with other sweeteners or subsitute (horseradish paste). Or use your discretion for portions of the wasabi & ginger.)

NOTE: You can also make this with shrimp and other vegetables or seafood. I made this with only vegetables for an "Unrestricted" snack that didnt take away from my main meat meal. Since 2 cups of vegetables are a TON of little sushi bites, this is an excellent snack for TV/ Sports matches.

My wife (who is not dieting) tried these and said that she would eat these any time (and plans to make half rice / half cauliflower versions next time she entertains. Yes, we liked the crunch and taste that much!)

Tell us your experiences and any other hints to make this recipe foolproof for beautiful looking and tasting sushi.
  • Steven, I cannot believe how creative you are making sushi with Cauliflower rice.
    I make a Hawaiian sushi with canned tuna in the middle. You drain a can of tuna, then add 3 T rice vinegar, 3 T soy, and 3 T sugar..so I am thinking that you should add splenda or truvia to taste instead of the sugar. Mix it well and soak it for a while. Then using a fork, you get the tuna without all of the sauce.

Then you put a layer of tuna ..then a strip of scrambled egg..and roll...People also sprinkle shrimp flakes but I do not know about the IP factor.

You can also marinate the cucumber thinly sliced in the soy, vinegar, truvia combo.

I tried the tuna seafood patties..they were good..but had to cuisnart them so they would stick together.
  • Quote: I tried the tuna seafood patties..they were good..but had to cuisnart them so they would stick together.
    Thanks for the feedback and hints. My seafood patties stuck together with no problem. (I just mashed the tuna and mixed with the egg whites, then dropped on the griddle.) Glad that the Cuisnart worked.
  • Mushroom Patties (IP Mushroom Soup)
    MUSHROOM PATTIES (IP Mushroom Soup):
    Here's another simple & filling recipe that you can easily cook and take with you to microwave or eat cold.

Ingredients:
    1 package IP Mushroom Soup
    2 egg whites (beaten)
    1 cup chopped mushrooms (Fresh is best. I use 2 kinds of mushrooms)
    Splash of lemon juice
    1 tsp olive oil
    Sea salt & ground pepper
    Approx 1/4 cup chopped raw onion (I use red)
    Additional Spices to taste (I use Asian Spice which is a mix of coriander, chives, chili, garlic, parsley, paprika, ginger, turmeric, & curry)

Directions:
    1. Chop mushrooms. I use 1 cup fresh mushrooms, but you can also use 1/2 cup canned (I like the bigger portion extra mushrooms give.)
    2. Cook mushrooms and spices in 1 tsp olive oil until cooked. Splash with lemon juice. Remove from heat and set aside.
    3. Beat egg whites (i add a pinch of cream of tartar to emulsify and make a bit stiffer)
    4. Add in packet of IP Mushroom soup. Blend.
    5. Add in mushrooms and raw onions. Stir til blended.
    6. Spray pan with non-stick spray like PAM
    7. Drop about 1/4 cup spoonfuls on med-hot pan and press down with spatula so the patty is even.
    8. Cook 1-2 patties at a time. Flip when done.
    Makes about 6 good sized cakes. And you can eat them all.

You can also reserve about 1/2 - 1TB of the Soup Mix and add some water to it to make a gravy to pour on top of the patties. (Mix with about 1-2 TB cold water or more, then microwave)

Note: Many Ideal Protein coaches allow 2 egg whites as "free". Do not use whole eggs (egg yolks are NOT allowed) and use your judgement for what works best for you.
  • Thank you for this recipe! I hate the soups alone and have a lone pack of mushroom soup leftover from week 1. This is how I will be using it. That looks and sounds very good.
  • Creamed Cabbage & Celery
    I spent the weekend being adventurous with the packets, so should have something new to post almost every day this week. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures (and will most likely not post the recipe) of one of the experiments... the "MEAT-zza" beast which was deliciously hilarious (I rolled out spiced ground beef into a "pizza crust". You can imagine the rest...a mix between a meat lovers pizza and an extreme tostada.)

Anyway, here is the recipe for the day.

CREAMED CABBAGE & CELERY (IP SOUPS):
    Creamy sauces have been a weakness of mine, so discovering this super (soup-er?) recipe was such a treat. (Its especially nice to find new ways to cook the same veggies so they taste like a completely new dish!) This will work with most of the Ideal Protein soups (I have tried Leek and Mushroom successfully) and a variety of vegetables as well (Also try with leeks, bell peppers, spinach, mushrooms, etc with water chesnuts.)

I love finding multiple ways to use the soup packets (as soup, as a vegetable patty, as a creamy sauce for green beans, creamed veggies, gravy for mashed "potato" cauliflower etc). It makes buying the whole box not feel like such a big commitment knowing that there are a truckload of different ways to use them.

And yes, I know the picture looks a bit spooky, but Halloween is coming. boo!

Ingredients:
    1 packet IP Soup Mix
    2/3 cup water (180ml)
    About 1 - 1.5 cups shredded/ chopped red cabbage
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 chopped clove garlic (I used 1/2 - 1 tsp garlic powder instead)
    Other vegetables of your choice (I used celery and red onion)

Directions:
    1. Add oil to pan on medium heat.
    2. Add garlic (or garlic powder)
    3. Add in cabbage and other vegetables (except onion) and cook down until medium soft. (You can cook until totally soft, but I like just a bit of crunch to it)
    4. Take off heat.
    5. Mix 1 packet IP soup with 2/3 cup cold water. (Hot water will clump the protein). Mix to dissolve until smoot.
    6. Add to cabbage and cook until soup is heated.
    7. Add in raw onions 2 minutes before removing from heat. (Onions should warm up, but not carmelize)
    8. Take from heat, add crushed black pepper and sea salt to taste and enjoy.