Old 08-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 312/274/180

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaliayosa View Post
You rock Fin!!!! As a fellow foodie this really motivates me. Thanks!
Thanks. By the way, for those interested, I am not a professional photographer. All the pictures are taken with a Nokia N8 camera phone. Probably the best camera phone on the market with Carl Zeiss lens, 12 Megapixel, Xenon flash, etc.
(It still surprises me how you can't find the good Nokia phones anywhere in the USA!)

Unrelated to Ideal Protein, but good for other amateur foodies who also want to share their journey...here is the link about the Nokia N8 for those who want to know more.
http://www.nokiausa.com/us-en/products/phone/n8-00/#
FinnSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:26 AM   #32  

Default Hearty, Spoon-Hugging Soup

HEARTY SPOON-HUGGING SOUP:
If you have a hard time eating all your vegetables, or you just want a much bigger portion of your soup without watering it down, try adding roasted vegetables to your Ideal Protein soups and blending it up in a blender for a ridiculously thick and tasty meal.

1. Get a small bag of frozen brocolli and a small bag of frozen cauliflower and microwave until partially thawed. (will speed up cooking time in oven)

2. Place on baking sheet lined with baking paper.

3. Drizzle or spray with Olive Oil and spice to taste.

(I use Mild Jalepeno Tabasco, sea salt, & 5 pepper for the brocolli and use original tabasco, sea salt, and hot indian chili powder on the cauliflower)

4. Bake at 225 C (approx 425 F) until cooked. (about 10-15 min. Should be lightly toasted). Take out of oven.

5. Add 10 to 16 oz hot (not boiling) water to a blender.

6. Add in your choice of Ideal Protein soup (Chicken is my favourite. Leek and Musroom also go great with this.)

7. Blend (being careful that the water is not so hot that the steam will build up and burn you!) Turn off blender.

8. Add in your vegetables and smash down so they will blend. Blend until creamy. (If it gets "stuck", turn off and smash down again.)

If too thick, add more hot water until the right consistency.

9. I usually microwave the final soup for about 45 seconds to get it piping hot if needed.

I like my soup very thick like pea soup. This makes at least two big bowlfuls and microwaves beautifully if you want to put in a container to take to work... super easy to take with and is hearty enough to not slurp down in 2 minutes. :-)

I usually make 2 batches at the same time. One to eat immediately and one for lunch the next day. I just use bigger bags of vegetables. If making a double batch, you can mix 2 different kinds of soups, but I recommend making each separately, then mixing together so as not to overwork your blender.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:34 AM   #33  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

I did this soup thing tonight too! How funny to open up and see you post what I had just had for dinner!

I chose to use the broccoli and cheddar soup with roasted veggies. It was very yummy.

You asked earlier about the reason the recipes in the cookbooks use so called forbidden food items for phase 1.
I was told the recipes were created in conjunction with Dr. Tran's chefs and he permits the sour cream and such in phase 1 in small portions, occasionally.

Most people are able to have them without slowing down there losses if they use portion control.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:38 AM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
You asked earlier about the reason the recipes in the cookbooks use so called forbidden food items for phase 1.
I was told the recipes were created in conjunction with Dr. Tran's chefs and he permits the sour cream and such in phase 1 in small portions, occasionally.

Most people are able to have them without slowing down there losses if they use portion control.
Ah! That is fantastic news. I thought it was a mix of different stages without labeling it. Makes more sense, as since Ideal Protein has some similarities to Atkins, I thought it would be ok to use the small amounts in the recipes, but didnt want to risk getting kicked out of ketosis.

Thanks once again for the excellent hints and advice! (PS. We dont have the Brocolli Cheese soup in Finland yet.)
Old 08-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #35  

Default Fluffy Cloud Mousse Puddings

EXTRAORDINARY FLUFFY CLOUD MOUSSE PUDDINGS:
When you want your dessert to be extra special (and get more for your money)...

BASIC MOUSSE
1. Beat 2 egg whites with a pinch of sea salt, two pinches of cream of tartar, and 1-3 teaspoons sugar substitute like Splenda. Beat until peaks form and the whites are solid. Set aside in refrigerator.
2. Make any flavor Ideal Protein pudding according to directions.
3. Because the egg whites are not sweet, for some flavours of puddings, you may want to add additional spice to either the pudding or egg whites. (Stevia flavors to egg whites are excellent (like vanilla creme). Cinnamon goes well with many of the puddings as well)
3. Fold in egg whites (do not beat) until blended.

Makes two generous portions... which still only count as 1 non-restrictive!

TOPPERS
When ready to serve your Mousse, try crumbling 3-4 Ideal Protein soy balls on top. (ie., Chocolate, Peanut, Apple Cinnamon). The crunch and sweetness really makes it special.

A sprinkle of cinnamon is good on many flavors.

Fresh basil or rosemary on strawberry is refreshing.

Although not on-program, you can also top with a pinch of real dark cocoa (especially good for the banana) without consequence.

VANILLA CHAI MOUSSE
1. Make a strong Chai tea in about 5oz water (I use Celestial Seasonings "Bengal Spice" which is caffeine-free herbal and the best I have found. Yogi Tea"Rooibos African Spice" is also great). Seep for 10 minutes
2.Add 1 teasp. vanilla extract to tea.
3. Add 1-2 large ice cubes to the tea and stir until melted. Put in freezer until water is a little below room temperature
4. Beat 2 egg whites with a pinch of sea salt, two pinches of cream of tartar, and 1-3 teaspoons sugar substitute like Splenda. Beat until peaks form and the whites are solid. Sprinkle in cinnamon and cardemom to taste. Set aside in refrigerator.
5. Substituting your chai tea for the water, make the Ideal Protein Vanilla pudding. (ie., using 5oz tea)
6. Fold in the egg whites (do not beat). Spoon into glasses and chill until ready to serve.
7. Sprinkle with cinnamon & cardemom.

You can also try this with other flavored teas such as Green Tea with Lemon, Peppermint with Lemon (Mint Julep!), Cammomile with Strawberry, Chai with Banana...)

NOTE: Most Ideal Protein coaches now allow egg whites (2) as a "free" addition which if not used every day, should not negatively affect your weight loss.

Last edited by FinnSteven; 08-30-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #36  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnSteven View Post
YOU'RE NOT HUNGRY -- YOU'RE THIRSTY! Battle the Cravings with Iced Herbal Teas
Believe it or not, what most dieters think of as hunger is actually thirst. Drinking water before meals as well as drinking water when you want to snack will often kill the cravings.

However, sometimes your taste buds want more than water. Thats where herbal teas come in handy. Hot teas help you feel satisfied. But have you considered unsweetened iced tea?

I discovered this treat out of necessity. I just wasnt drinking enough water. So I boiled some water, added it to a pitcher and threw in 2 peppermint herbal tea bags to seep for 7-10 minutes. I then poured it into an empty 1.5 liter bottle and let cool before putting it in the refrigerator.

The next time I was hungry, I drank greedily. The peppermint was a revelation. Sweet (but not sweetened!) and refreshing.

I found a wonderful Organic Health Food store in downtown Helsinki that sold all sorts of exotic herbal teas without the caffeine.

"Celestial Seasonings - Bengal Spice" is my perfect chilled Chai (cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, black pepper, nutmeg, chicory, carob & Vanilla.)

Other great flavors iced have been Choco, Rooibos (many flavours), Rosehip, & Lotus (Lime with a sweet hint of licorice).

What are your favourite herbal iced tea flavors?
I LOVE your pictures. Bengal Spice is my favorite herbal tea. Have you ever tried making a strong Bengal Spice Tea and then adding Talking Rain in? It is quite good and a change.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #37  
Maintaining-March, 2011

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Height: 5'4"

FinnSteven

Love this thread!! So fun to wake up each morning and see all the beautiful photos and read your great descriptions. Keep em coming.

Lynn
woolberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #38  
Melting Mama

S/C/G: 336/274.5/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
When you want your dessert to be extra special (and get more for your money)...

BASIC MOUSSE
1. Beat 2 egg whites with a pinch of sea salt, two pinches of cream of tartar, and 1-3 teaspoons sugar substitute like Splenda. Beat until peaks form and the whites are solid. Set aside in refrigerator.
3. Because the egg whites are not sweet, for some flavours of puddings, you may want to add additional spice to either the pudding or egg whites. (Stevia flavors to egg whites are excellent (like vanilla creme). Cinnamon goes well with many of the puddings as well)

TOPPERS
When ready to serve your Mousse, try crumbling 3-4 Ideal Protein soy balls on top. (ie., Chocolate, Peanut, Apple Cinnamon). The crunch and sweetness really makes it special.

Although not on-program, you can also top with a pinch of real dark cocoa (especially good for the banana) without consequence.

VANILLA CHAI MOUSSE
1. Make a strong Chai tea in about 5oz water (I use Celestial Seasonings "Bengal Spice" which is caffeine-free herbal and the best I have found. Yogi Tea"Rooibos African Spice" is also great). Seep for 10 minutes
2.Add 1 teasp. vanilla extract to tea.
3. Add 1-2 large ice cubes to the tea and stir until melted. Put in freezer until water is a little below room temperature
4. Beat 2 egg whites with a pinch of sea salt, two pinches of cream of tartar, and 1-3 teaspoons sugar substitute like Splenda. Beat until peaks form and the whites are solid. Sprinkle in cinnamon and cardemom to taste. Set aside in refrigerator.
5. Substituting your chai tea for the water, make the Ideal Protein Vanilla pudding. (ie., using 5oz tea)
6. Fold in the egg whites (do not beat). Spoon into glasses and chill until ready to serve.
7. Sprinkle with cinnamon & cardemom.

You can also try this with other flavored teas such as Green Tea with Lemon, Peppermint with Lemon (Mint Julep!), Cammomile with Strawberry, Chai with Banana...)

NOTE: Most Ideal Protein coaches now allow egg whites (2) as a "free" addition which if not used every day, should not negatively affect your weight loss.
I am so having the Chai tea when I get home. That is my all time favorite drink and it has killed me giving it up. Thank You for posting!
JodiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #39  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Ah! That is fantastic news. I thought it was a mix of different stages without labeling it. Makes more sense, as since Ideal Protein has some similarities to Atkins, I thought it would be ok to use the small amounts in the recipes, but didnt want to risk getting kicked out of ketosis.

Thanks once again for the excellent hints and advice! (PS. We dont have the Brocolli Cheese soup in Finland yet.)
OH, Too bad!! So far the brocolli cheese is my favorite. (I used to really like the asparagus soup but it was discontinued long ago.) I find the brocolli cheese is so versatile. When you puree the vegetables it is just right and has a "similar" taste to a real, hearty broccoli cheese soup.

I also like to use this soup as a sauce over other vegetables.

Quote:

BASIC MOUSSE

TOPPERS

This sounds amazing! I have to make this!

I have been making a dark chocolate pudding in the style of mexican hot chocolate. I think I might adapt that to be a mousse! It would be very simple as I only add a bit of vanilla stevia and a teaspoon of cinnamon (sometimes I add a pinch of cayenne pepper) to the water then I add it to a dark chocolate pudding. I think it would be easy to make it into a mousse. Thank you for the ideas.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #40  

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this......we appreciate it!
GramEGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I looooove reading your posts - I get great ideas for dinners. I am doing IP, but my husband isn't, but as a result of eating healthier - he has lost 10 lb!

For all of you out there, I made asian noodle salad - with udon/soba noodles for the hubby+kiddo and with miracle noodles for me.

I used a julienne peeler on squash, -> toss in a bowl. I used coleslaw (cabbage only) -> stir fry with minimal EVOO -> toss in same bowl. +/- shredded celery

I boiled the noodles separately and added to the bowl.

Dressing - shake following into a shaker/bottle.
1/4 Cups Sugar - substitute with splenda!
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/3 C Light Seasoned Rice Vinegar (0 carb one).
2 tbs Extra Light Olive Oil (I use even less)
1/3 C Cider Vinegar
2 Tbs diced fresh Ginger
1 diced Jalapeno (optional)
2 Tbs Light Soy Sauce

I poured some of the dressing on top of the salad/noodle mix and let it stand for an hour or so in the fridge (which is great, because the miracle noodles soak up the dressing). I made a large batch of dressing to use with salads next day - it is sooo good. Acidic so your mouth stings a little later, but all worth it!

YUM!!!!!
Perpetualdiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #42  
Maintaining since 11/8/11

S/C/G: 170/141.5/140

Height: 5'7"

Thank you so much for this thread! I can't wait to make the vanilla chai mousse. This may not be a new idea, but I have the pudding for breakfast every day and today instead of mixing it up in the shaker, I used a hand mixer and added a bit of cinnamon. It was lighter than usual. Yum!
pink parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:51 AM   #43  

Default blenders and hand mixers rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink parrothead View Post
I used a hand mixer and added a bit of
cinnamon. It was lighter than usual. Yum!
I agree! Using a blender or hand mixer for drinks and puddings makes a HUGE difference for me. Everything seems to get bigger, lighter, yummier. (I also add ice to my drinks in the blender which also makes a difference... especially for the fruit flavoured drinks)

For those new to Ideal Protein, I would recommend that a blender (drinks), hand mixer (egg whites), and Grlll/BBQ are mandatory. They make eating WELL so painless. (Especially the grill saves me from over using the EVOO and makes
everything taste so much better.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetualdiet View Post
I looooove reading your posts - I get great ideas for dinners. I am doing IP, but my husband isn't, but as a result of eating healthier - he has lost 10 lb!

... miracle noodles for me.
thanks. Thats another reason I enjoy posting the non-product recipes...Many of us on the diet have other people in the household too and having to cook 2-3 different meals at the same time is exhausting. So having great tasting meals that are OP that others can eat helps so much. (For my wife, I might add tomatoes, parmesan cheese, feta, blue cheese, etc to her salad or just serve it with normal dressing, but otherwise, she is absolutely thrilled I am on the diet because she eats really well too... no more pizzas and fast food or heavy carbs without veggies.

RE: The Miracle Noodles. Unfortunately, we dont have those in Finland, but the recipe sounded really nice. I'll post my sweet and sour beef recipe later today to be a companion to your hint for those wanting a week of asian. :-)

Last edited by FinnSteven; 08-31-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #44  

Default Zucchini Omelete "Cakes"

I just read Jordanna's recipe for this on the other thread and had to make them. (And to take pix to glory in their beauty!)

They were not only good, they were AMAZING. The normal omelettes are fine (if a little rubbery), but the addition of the egg whites and zucchini makes them incredible. (And makes 4 HUGE servings...and you get to eat them all!) I forgot to add the onions and didnt miss them.

My friends brought me a monster bottle of Tapatio Hot Sauce from the USA, which is great on these. (We dont have WF Ketchup here) Enjoy!

ZUCCHINI OMELETTE "PANCAKES":
Another stealth way to sneak in extra veggies to start your morning (or lunch, or dinner) with a filling and delicious meal.

Ingredients:
1pk of IP omelet mix (plain or herb)
1 1/2 c zucchini, shredded
(Optional - 1/2 c onion (red, white, or green) finely diced)
2 egg whites
sea salt & pepper

Directions:
1) Shred up the zucchini onto a paper towel or clean kitchen cloth & drain out some of the moisture of the zucchini.
2) Beat egg whites with a pinch of sea salt until fluffy
3) Add the Ideal Protein Omelete mix and beat until blended
4) Fold in the zucchini (and onions if using)
5) Spray cooking pan with PAM or other non-stick spray.
6) I use a 1 dl measuring cup to spoon batter into pan on med-hi heat
7) Cook until crispy on one side and then flip and crisp up the other side

I serve with Hot Sauce (zero carb/ zero sugar/ zero fat).

Makes 4 large cakes and is really filling.

NOTE: Most coaches say egg whites (2) are "free" and will not negatively effect weight loss. But be mindful to not use daily if you find you are stuck.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #45  

Default Sweet & Sour Beef with "Rice"

SWEET & SOUR BEEF OVER "RICE":
This dish totally satisfies cravings for Chinese food. I'm still experimenting with the recipe, but think this is really good as it is. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the cauliflower rice with this.

"RICE"
1. The rice is actually cauliflower chopped into tiny rice size pieces. Heat in microwave until cooked through. Spice to taste (sea salt, pepper, etc) I also sprayed with "I Can't Believe Its Not Butter" which was great.

"SWEET & SOUR BEEF"
1. Cut beef into strips. (This is a good way to use leftover meat from the Roast Beef recipe posted earlier (reposted below)
2. Dice red, green and/or yellow peppers (paprika), green onions, celery, radish, brocolli, water chesnuts, or other Ideal Protein approved vegetables to taste.
3. Place beef into heated pan and douse with vinegar (approx 2 teaspoons)
Add vegetables when meat is warmed.
4. Add 1/2 can of chopped Tomatoes & Onions or Tomatoes & Jalepeno (make sure no added sugar). Or puree 2 tomatoes with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
5. Add in 1 Tablespoon Vinegar, 2 teaspoons Splenda or sugar substitute, sea salt, pepper, or other herbs to taste (I use ginger, lemongrass, basil, and thyme)
6. Stir and taste, adding spices until it has the right flavor. If too thick, you can add water to thin, but be careful not to water it down too much. (Add more tomato sauce if you thin it too much.)

Serve over the "rice"

Roast Beef recipe (Make ahead and use for Mock Reubens (pg 2 of this thread) or salads etc.
ROSEPEPPER ROAST BEEF:
1. Buy a cut of beef (in Finland, "Pahtopaisti liha")
2. Marinade in mix of olive oil (approx 4 TSP, sea salt, and "herbs de provence" of other herbs to your taste. (I buy fresh herbs, chop them up, and put them in the freezer. Makes it easy to pull out any time and sprinkle on dishes and taste much better than the dried versions.)
3. Bring meat to room temperature.
4. Generously sprinkle with crushed Rose Pepper on both sides. (Should almost coat the meat, not just a little flavor)
5. Add black pepper to taste.
6. Sear the meat in a frying pan for about 3 min each side until the meat is browned all over.
7. Transfer meat to a baking sheet lined with baking paper. You can add some additional spices at this point if you like.
8. Cook for approximate 1.5 hours at 125C (approx 255 F).

Last edited by FinnSteven; 08-31-2011 at 07:22 AM.