Ideal Protein recipes & pix from Finland

You're on Page 22 of 29
Go to
  • Quote:
    Hope that helps.
    That definitely helps! I'm always looking for a new arsenal of new recipes, spices, trick, etc. to use, whether I'm on IP or not. Sometimes I get stalled when trying to find new things to do but I'm newly inspired by your creativity!

Thank you FinnSteven!
  • EXPLODING SPICED ORANGE MUG CAKE (IP Orange Drink): Actual picture... its scrumptuous, but not neat! Here's another version of the wonderful Exploding Chocolate Mug Cake that everyone seems to be raving about this week.

I say exploding because no matter how I try, this expands over the sides. Yes, even with a monster Starbugs ceramic mug. So embrace the mess and enjoy the wicked treat.

I believe the original version was created by one of our forum members Jordana, so wanted to give credit. Here's my twist on it.

Ingredients
    1 pkg IP Orange Drink (or any IP drink. Not Puddings!)
    Approx 50 dl water (about 1/5th of a cup)
    1 egg white
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 tablespoon olive oil (You can cut this to 2 tsp and it still tastes great)
    1 pkg (1 tsp) sweetener like Truvia/ Splenda
    1 tsp of vanilla extract
    Optional: Pinch of cinnamon, cardamom, cloves or pumpkin pie spices

Directions:
    1. Put the drink mix in a big mug
    2. Add water (it should be a slightly watery pudding consistency, just enough to be able to mix easily )
    3. I beat the egg white separately til stiff, but others just add it as it is with excellent results, so you dont need to beat it.

So Add the other ingredients (egg white, baking powder, olive oil, splenda, vanilla )
    4. Put it in the microwave on top of a big plate. Did you hear me? ON TOP OF A BIG PLATE because it will expand like crazy and goop over.
    5. Hork and Pork Out.

NOTE:
    This recipe does NOT seem to work with IP pudding (they tend to be more rubbery) or with alternative products.

If you love the cake, but feel its a bit too dry (or if you use less oil), consider drizzling on some sugar-free DaVinci or Torani syrups like vanilla, caramel, marshmallow, or pumpkin spice.

One of the readers of my blog (Susan L) wrote:

Quote:
    I've been playing with the chocolate version, because it is sooo appealing. I cut the baking powder & Splenda in half & microwaved it all at 7 rather than High. As the oven shuts off & on, the 'cake' deflates & then puffs up again. Watch closely. If it still threatens to overflow, open the oven door until it deflates a bit, then continue. Also, I used a small bowl, which is bigger (& wider) than any of my mugs. I think one could also cut the olive oil back to 2 tsp. Good topped with Walden Farms chocolate sauce, too! No overflow on the 3rd try. Lovely & moist, like a pudding cake!
  • Quote:
    SUPERBOWL SLIDERS
    : Its been FAR too long since I have posted a new recipe and this one is a winner! Super-satisfying and the smaller size makes it feel like cheating because you get to eat more than one. The mushroom "bun" was a revelation... so delicious! You don't have to wait for the next big game to try this one.

Thanks to SaraBean for the idea and inspiration. We made these last night and they were total bliss.

Ingredients:
    Portobello or Jumbo Mushrooms (pictured)
    Ground Beef (or Turkey)
    1 Red Bell Pepper, Chopped into very small pieces
    Chopped Onion (Optional)
    Salt, Pepper, Red Pepper flakes
    Lettuce
    American Mustard (no sugar)
    Tomatoes (Optional)

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 210 C ( 410 degrees F).

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.

3. If using Portobello Mushrooms: Place Portobello caps on a small baking sheet with the rounded tops facing down and the "gill" side up. Spray with olive oil (or cooking spray).

If using Jumbo Mushrooms (shown in picture) Cut lengthwise to make a top and bottom "bun." If needed, cut off the bottom stem before cutting and be sure to cut high enough that you have a solid top and bottom. Its not hard and you can use two "tops" if your "bottoms" fall apart. They are delicious either way.

4. Roast the caps 12 minutes. Remove them from the oven and season them with salt and pepper. Turn oven off

5. While the mushrooms are roasting, combine meat with salt and pepper, chopped bell pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. I also add chopped frozen onions to this, but its optional. (Some IP guidelines suggest not cooking onion at all. I find that as long as they dont carmelize, you are fine.)

Form meat into small patties that will fit on the size of the mushrooms you are using. Cook on a hot skillet til done.

6. When mushrooms are finished cooking, place them open-faced on the plate. If you have Carb-Free/Sugar-Free Ketchup, add to bottom "bun" and top with a lettuce leaf. Place burger on Mushroom, top with tomatoes if using. I add American mustard to the top "bun" then cover.

7. I served this with green beans (from a can! with olive oil and a multi-pepper mix) and salad. However, if I had the time, I would have served this with thinly sliced Turnip Fries. Yum.

This is really filling and you will LOVE the "bun".
    made something like this the other day. can't stop thinking about it. and i don't even like mushrooms.
  • Quote: WAFFLES!!! (IP Pudding):
    I am SO LOVING kd1034's awesome waffle recipe that I am reposting it here to make sure it gets as many eyes (and tastebuds!) on it as possible.

I made the waffles with Lemon Pudding this morning and it was amazing. The lemon gave a tiny edge to the sweetness that reminded me of buttermilk waffles. So good.

I will be trying kd1034's other suggestion of WAFFLE SANDWICHES (using the waffle as bread!) tonight. (I will be adding about 1/2 to 1 TB of Italian herbs and dropping out the sweetener to make it more savory, and add in salad, tomatoes, cucumbers, sprouts and dressing). can't wait!

Ingredients:
    1 IP Pudding Packet (I used lemon and it was perfect.)
    2 beaten egg whites
    Approx 2 oz of water
    1 tsp of vanilla extract
    Pinch of baking powder
    Pinch of nutmeg
    Pinch of sea salt
    1 Splenda, Truvia or other sweetener packet (optional)

Directions:
    1. Pre-heat waffle iron.
    2. Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt.
    3. Except for the water, mix all other ingredients.
    4. Add water a little at a time. The batter should not be runny at all...fairly thick. UPDATE: I have found adding too much water may make the waffles too thin and be "just crust with air in the middle". So use just 2oz the first time you make this, then you can add a little more later if desired.
    5. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter to each side of the waffle iron. This will puff up a lot, so be sure you dont have too much on or it will run off the sides. (If it does, just scoop out for another batch) The first time you make these, add less batter than you think you need to the waffle iron to avoid overrun.
    6. Cook for 3-5 min (depending on your iron.) Should make 3-4 normal size waffles, depending on how much water you added.

Serve either plain with a spray of "I Can't Believe Its Not Butter" or with Walden Farms or other sugar-free/ low-no carb syrup. (I ate mine plain.)

This would work well with Lemon, Vanilla, Strawberry, Blueberry Puddings. Probably with all, as Butterscotch and Chocolate might make some fun non-traditional flavors.

Unlike the "muffins", this did not deflate when removing from the heat and crisped up nicely.
    My husband and I tried these yesterday for breakfast (using the lemon pudding) and they are amazing! I'm not even a waffle/syrup fan but now I want them every day! I could eat them plain as well. Can't wait to try the chicken soup/lunch version! YUM!
  • GREEN BEAN CASSOROLE VEGGIE PATTIES (IP Soup): If you have boxes of soup, but want something different or easier to transport and microwave to eat later, try making veggie patties. This recipe turns the traditional green bean cassorole on its head for a tasty filling meal.

Ingredients:
    1 package IP Soup (Mushroom, Leek, or Chicken work best for taste)
    1 can Green Beans (Canned actually work better than fresh, but both are ok)
    2 egg whites, beaten
    Sea salt and Pepper (I use a Pepper Mix with black, white, rose, and chili)
    A bit of extra water (up to 50 ml) if needed.
    Optional: chopped raw onions or 1 tsp dried onion flakes
    Optional: chopped mushrooms
    2 tsp olive oil for cooking

Directions:
    1. Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt.
    2. Mix in IP soup
    3. Add salt, pepper.
    4. If using, add onions.
    5. Drizzle in just a bit of extra water if desired.
    6. Drain can of green beans. Add in. (I use about 3/4 of the can. You can use more or less as desired)
    7. Mix.
    8. Scoop out a patty size amount of batter and drop carefully onto a pan with a little olive oil in it. I usually fry 2-3 patties at a time.
    9. Cook and flip.
    10. When ready to eat, spraying the patties with a little "I cant't believe its not butter" spray to give it a buttery cassorole taste.
  • Quote: My husband and I tried these yesterday for breakfast (using the lemon pudding) and they are amazing! I'm not even a waffle/syrup fan but now I want them every day! I could eat them plain as well. Can't wait to try the chicken soup/lunch version! YUM!
    Does anyone know if there's an alternative pudding mix that works for the waffles? I would love to try these!
  • "Clam Chowder" using IP potato puree
    With apologies to New Englanders, here is a clam chowder I came up with today:

1 c. celery, chopped
    1 c. leeks, chopped
    "saute" with cooking spray and some water until tender.
    add
    1/2 can clams and liquid, Mrs. Dash garlic and herb mix
    stir in
    IP potato puree mixed with 3 - 4 oz. water
    top with butter spray or sprinkles and sea salt

this counts as veggies, one packet and 2 oz of seafood. Very chunky and very filling.

Feel free to modify and report back.
  • With the waffles using Lemon Pudding, could a person just make them into pancakes instead? I sadly do not have a waffle iron
  • Quote: With apologies to New Englanders, here is a clam chowder I came up with today:

1 c. celery, chopped
    1 c. leeks, chopped
    "saute" with cooking spray and some water until tender.
    add
    1/2 can clams and liquid, Mrs. Dash garlic and herb mix
    stir in
    IP potato puree mixed with 3 - 4 oz. water
    top with butter spray or sprinkles and sea salt

this counts as veggies, one packet and 2 oz of seafood. Very chunky and very filling.

Feel free to modify and report back.
    Oh. My. Gosh. That sounds amazing. Our clinic still hasnt gotten in the IP Potatoes, so I cannot wait to do this. Looking at the recipe, the only thing I would add is white pepper. That was the magic ingredient to my mom's recipe.
  • pancakes from lemon pudding
    Quote: With the waffles using Lemon Pudding, could a person just make them into pancakes instead? I sadly do not have a waffle iron
    I havent done it, but have heard from other readers that would work. I'll make this tonight and let you know how it turns out!

RE: Alt Pudding
    When my clinics IP food got locked in customs, I tried a few different alternative products. NONE of them worked for things that they were not originally intended for. (ie, soups did not make good veggie patties. Drinks and puddings did not make cakes or waffles.) For some reason, the IP Packets have something about them that is optimal for being versitile which I havent seen anywhere else.
  • Quote: I havent done it, but have heard from other readers that would work. I'll make this tonight and let you know how it turns out!
    That would be awesome! Thanks for the help And I'm following you on Facebook because I just think you and your recipes are fabulous!
  • Quote: With the waffles using Lemon Pudding, could a person just make them into pancakes instead? I sadly do not have a waffle iron
    I have made pancakes with the waffle mix and they were great, even better than my flopped waffles. I made the waffles several times but I just can't get them to turn out. Mine are all crust. I dont know if I have my iron temperature to high at 400 or to much batter. After having many flops, I decided to make pancakes out of the batter and they were awesome!
  • Quote: I have made pancakes with the waffle mix and they were great, even better than my flopped waffles. I made the waffles several times but I just can't get them to turn out. Mine are all crust. I dont know if I have my iron temperature to high at 400 or to much batter. After having many flops, I decided to make pancakes out of the batter and they were awesome!
    Great! Thanks for sharing! I need to buy some Lemon Pudding when I get food on Monday, can't wait to try this
  • SAVORY CHICKEN/ HAM PUFFS (All Phases. Serves 2) :

Delicious and portable! Great for lunch! Especially helpful for those just starting the diet who need to snack often during the day until the ketosis kicks in and you dont feel hungry all the time. Because it uses egg whites which are minimal protein and calories, and veggies, this is a great recipe to make and eat 1-2 puffs throughough the day.

Ingredients:
    1- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and diced (using less chicken allows you to eat all of the portions (12) in one day. Using two breasts means you eat half the batch...about 6 portions in one day) Also see notes for other meat suggestions:
    5 egg whites
    1 cup celery, minced
    2 tbsp red or green bell pepper (chopped)
    ¼ tsp black pepper
    1 tsp baking powder
    ¼ tsp sea salt
    Olive oil cooking spray
    OPTIONAL: Additional veggies...add 1 or all. I used all.
    1/4 cup frozen or fresh chopped raw onion
    1/4 - 1/2 cup minced mushrooms (canned or fresh)
    1/4 - 1/2 cup fresh alfalpha sprouts and/or mung bean sprouts

Directions:
    1. Beat egg whites
    2. Mix all ingredients well in a medium bowl.
    3. Spoon into 6 well-sprayed muffin cups.
    4. Bake at 350 F (about 180 C) 30-35 minutes, until set and lightly browned.

NOTES: Originally, I found this recipe from the wonderful Windsor CBP Spine Center Ideal Protein Facebook page. (worth Liking!)

I finally made these after posting the link from the above site. The other recipe didnt have the baking powder, so although they were delicious, they didnt set up as nicely as when you add it. So I modified the recipe a bit to suit my tastes.

I also added additional veggies to stretch the batch and get more vegetables in my diet, since I sometimes find it hard to get everything in.

If you are in a rush, you can substitute chopped precooked ham or turkey for the chicken. (I have even just taken a scissors to lunch meat slices to cut into tiny pieces and add in. If I dont want to use all of my meat protein for the day, just use more veggies and a couple of chopped ham slices to flavor the puffs, but still have a leftover allowance of meat protein for later in the day.

I have now made these a few times and love them. They are great hot out of the over and very very good cold. As mentioned above, this is now my "go-to" recipe when I know I will be wanting to snack on something throughout the day or feel especially hungry. Great to make-ahead the night before too.
  • I made these yesterday and they made more than 6 muffins. I thought they were very good