Ideal Protein recipes & pix from Finland

You're on Page 11 of 29
Go to
  • Sunday Salmon & "Mashed Potato" Bake
    SUNDAY SALMON & MASHED "POTATO" BAKE:
    Mouth-watering gourmet meal that anyone can make easily. Yet another example of how well you can eat on the Ideal Protein diet. Suffering is optional.

Ingredients:
    THE SALMON:

Fresh Salmon filet with skin (you choose the amount. This re-heats up well in the microwave, so you can make enough for 2 meals if eating alone. )
    Sea Salt + Ground Pepper (I use Pepper Mix with Black, White, Rosepepper)
    1/2 tsp dried dill (or fresh dill)
    Splash of Lemon Juice
    Optional: Shrimp

THE "POTATOES"
    1 large bag of frozen Cauliflower (or fresh)
    1-3 teaspoons horseradish (I use a lot, others like it more subtle)
    1-2 tsp olive oil
    Seasoning (sea salt, ground pepper, Mrs Dash/Herbamare)
    1/4 - 1/2 tsp nutmeg
    Optional: Up to 1oz milk (from the morning coffee allowance)
    Optional: You can also add broccoli to the cauliflower for a different taste. Both plain and with broccoli are excellent. The cauliflower only version lets the other flavors come out more.

Directions:
    THE SALMON

1. Wash fish in cold running water.
    2. Place baking paper on a baking sheet.
    3. Sprinkle sea salt and pepper on the non-skin side. Sprinkle on dill.
    4. Squeeze lemon over the top
    5. Place fish with skin UP on the pan and cook at 200 C for 20-30 minutes. But since the thickness and size varies, the ground rule is that it is done when you can peel the skin off without problem. (Use a fork and "roll" it off)
    6. Take skin off.
    7. Add seasoning to the newly exposed pink fish and splash a bit more lemon juice on. Set aside.

THE "POTATOES"
    1. While the fish is cooking, add the cauliflower to boiling, lightly salted water.
    2. Boil until tender. Drain.
    3. Add 1-2 tsp olive oil, cauliflower and seasonings to a blender or other mixer. Whip until the consistency of mashed potatoes. You may add milk if needed, but be careful not to add too much liquid right away or the result may be too runny.

PUTTING IT TOGETHER
    1. Put the "Potatoes" in a pan.
    2. Place cooked fish on top.
    3. Sprinkle shrimp on top (if frozen, run shrimp under hot water til unfrozen)
    I often will sprinkle the shrimp with chili powder
    4. Add another splash of lemon (or lime) juice) to the fish.
    5. Bake at 200 C for another 5 minutes.

Before baking, PHASE 2 can add the addition of a creamy sauce made of
    2-4 TB Greek Yogurt
    1 tsp horseradish
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    salt + pepper

Mix and pour over fish and "potatoes".

Elegant and beautiful. The fish bakes up so light and flakey that it doesnt taste "fishy". Your body craves the Omega 3, so give it what it wants!
  • These recipes are absolutely amazing!!! Thank you for posting all of these great ideas! I am so excited to try some of these!
  • This recipes are INCREDIBLE!!! I cannot wait to try them. It's only Week 2 and I was already getting sick of salads!
  • Quote: This recipes are INCREDIBLE!!! I cannot wait to try them. It's only Week 2 and I was already getting sick of salads!
    Thanks. Thats the main reason I started doing them...
    1) I am visual and want to see what the food I am making is going to look like. So the pix are exactly what I made.

2) I got nervous starting the diet when I saw what we could have. I thought I would never be able to do it. But with the great help of the recipe threads on this board as well as some creativity with adapting old favourites to Ideal Protein friendly versions, I think that these recipes won't allow anyone to say that they are bored! (And almost every one of them is easy to follow and not time consuming.)

I am still discovering new twists on things I thought I had exhausted the resources for. An example is the past two days I have re-discovered the IP Butterscotch Pudding.

1) Mix IP Butterscotch with IP Cappucino for a hot Caramel Cappucino or an icy cold Caramel Frappucino.

2) Mix IP Butterscotch with IP Chocolate Drink and a pinch of sea salt to emulate a wicked sea salt & caramel chocolate bar. (I got that idea from the boards... its a good one.)

I mix the dry powders together in a sealable container, then scoop out half for my portion. Then I add it to up to 16 oz/ 2 cups of cold water (I find its not watering the flavor down) and blend.

If I am making it a Frappucino, I add 1 packet of Splenda/Truvia and about 4 big ice cubes.

If I am making it a Hot Drink, then I pour it into a mug 3/4 full or less and heat in the microwave. (Sometimes when heating, it will expand and spill over, so be careful.) I dust with a tiiiiiiny bit of cocoa and/or a lot of cinnamon. When I finish that mug, I re-blend, then heat that up.

Its fun to find new uses for products... especially for those on the diet who only buy 3 boxes per week and eat the same food every day. Having a little leeway to mix and match and create new tastes makes it easier.

(The other great secret is adding 2 beaten egg whites to your Soup packets instead of water, then adding vegetables like sprouts, shredded zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, etc then making vegetarian pancakes. Have done that with Leek, Chicken, & Mushroom Soups with various combinations of add ins and all were stellar. That way a "soup" can either be a soup or a solid (and the pancakes travel and re-heat well for work too)

Glad you are enjoying the recipes. Hope to hear back from people once they make them about what they loved, hated, or didnt work so I can better bulletproof them for others.
  • I'm making the Chicken "Pasta" Primavera tonight for dinner for me and my parents so I'll be sure to let you know how it turned out!
  • Quote: Thanks. Thats the main reason I started doing them...
    1) I am visual and want to see what the food I am making is going to look like. So the pix are exactly what I made.

2) I got nervous starting the diet when I saw what we could have. I thought I would never be able to do it. But with the great help of the recipe threads on this board as well as some creativity with adapting old favourites to Ideal Protein friendly versions, I think that these recipes won't allow anyone to say that they are bored! (And almost every one of them is easy to follow and not time consuming.)

I am still discovering new twists on things I thought I had exhausted the resources for. An example is the past two days I have re-discovered the IP Butterscotch Pudding.

1) Mix IP Butterscotch with IP Cappucino for a hot Caramel Cappucino or an icy cold Caramel Frappucino.

2) Mix IP Butterscotch with IP Chocolate Drink and a pinch of sea salt to emulate a wicked sea salt & caramel chocolate bar. (I got that idea from the boards... its a good one.)

I mix the dry powders together in a sealable container, then scoop out half for my portion. Then I add it to up to 16 oz/ 2 cups of cold water (I find its not watering the flavor down) and blend.

If I am making it a Frappucino, I add 1 packet of Splenda/Truvia and about 4 big ice cubes.

If I am making it a Hot Drink, then I pour it into a mug 3/4 full or less and heat in the microwave. (Sometimes when heating, it will expand and spill over, so be careful.) I dust with a tiiiiiiny bit of cocoa and/or a lot of cinnamon. When I finish that mug, I re-blend, then heat that up.

Its fun to find new uses for products... especially for those on the diet who only buy 3 boxes per week and eat the same food every day. Having a little leeway to mix and match and create new tastes makes it easier.

(The other great secret is adding 2 beaten egg whites to your Soup packets instead of water, then adding vegetables like sprouts, shredded zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, etc then making vegetarian pancakes. Have done that with Leek, Chicken, & Mushroom Soups with various combinations of add ins and all were stellar. That way a "soup" can either be a soup or a solid (and the pancakes travel and re-heat well for work too)

Glad you are enjoying the recipes. Hope to hear back from people once they make them about what they loved, hated, or didnt work so I can better bulletproof them for others.
    I just bought a box of butterscotch and capachino. I need more instructions. Are you just using a half packet of each and shaking in 7 oz water? Then heating it? I would love to have this tonight!
  • Quote: I just bought a box of butterscotch and capachino. I need more instructions. Are you just using a half packet of each and shaking in 7 oz water? Then heating it? I would love to have this tonight!
    Pour both dry packets into a container that you can seal. Shake up until well mixed.

In a blender add up to 16oz cold water (2 cups). I usually use 1 3/4c for maximum flavor + maximum portion. I find that it doesnt water down the taste and gives you so much more. (If you are worried about losing taste, adding 1 packet of Splenda/Truvia or other sweetener also adds a burst of flavor)

For Hot:
    When blended, pour into a microwave safe mug/glass or heat on the stove. (Heating on stove has less of a chance of boiling over.

When heated, pour into your drinking mug and dust with either cinnamon or a tiny tiny bit of cocoa powder.

For Cold:
    Do make sure to add the sweetener packet and also 4-5 cubes of ice. (Not too many or you get a slushie instead of a frappucino.)

Also remember that the butterscotch is wonderful to use in other ways too. Try making a drink with the butterscotch + herbal tea or coffee (hot or cold). Or adding the butterscotch to the chocolate drink or pudding plus a pinch of sea salt for a salted caramel chocolate.

Good luck. Let me know what you think.
  • I made the Chicken "Pasta" Primavera last night with the Tomato Basil Sauce. It was really good but I think I cooked the zucchini too long because it turned to mush but it was really flavorful. I didn't add the onions because my coach told me that we can only have raw onions. All in all.. two thumbs up!
  • thanks. Good to hear. I'll make a note in the recipe not to cook too long.
    You can add the raw onions after everything is cooked if you want the flavor and crunch.

Cooking onions should be fine as long as they do not carmelize or cook too long. 20 seconds to soften a bit should be fine as well, but if your coach says only raw, thats ok too. Just sprinkle raw on at the end.

Good luck on future recipe trying!
  • Quote: I know it's late but your post totally made me laugh. Almost woke up hubby, time to turn off phone. Oh wait I can't. It's my alarm clock too. Lol g'night.
    LOL!!
  • Your recipes look delicious!!!! I can hardly wait to try them. So excited I found this thread!
  • You are my hero!!!
    I was really feeling emotional about the limited IP items we can choose and originally, I hated some of the items (i.e. the crispy cereal) and thought ... how can I get through this - but your posts are truly an inspiration. I have tried so many of your recipes and each is better than the last - so I really thank you and hope you continue to try new things and post away.

By the way - you do look awesome - you go boy!
  • Quote: I was really feeling emotional about the limited IP items we can choose and originally, I hated some of the items (i.e. the crispy cereal) and thought ... how can I get through this - but your posts are truly an inspiration. I have tried so many of your recipes and each is better than the last - so I really thank you and hope you continue to try new things and post away.

By the way - you do look awesome - you go boy!
    Thanks! If you still have the crispy cereal

1. Have you tried making unrestricted pancakes with them?
    Click Here for Recipe

2. Or maybe try making tiny, tiny croutons for your salad for an extra crunch?

Teeny, Tiny, Itty Bitty Croutons.

Ingredients
    1 packet of Ideal Protein Plain Cereal
    2 tsp extra-Virgin oil (original recipe says 1 TB, but I think thats too much)
    1/2 tsp garlic, minced (I use a grinder with dry garlic. you can also use 1/8-1/4 tsp garlic powder)
    Dried Italian herbs, to taste (basil, oregano, thyme, marjorum, etc) (about 1/2 -1 tsp)
    I also grind a mix of sea salt and black pepper over the top of this when done baking.

Directions
    1. Using a sieve, separate cereals from milk powder.
    2. Set milk powder aside.
    3. In a medium bowl, mix olive oil, garlic and Italian herbs.
    4. Mix well and add cereal. Let stand for 30 min at room temperature.
    5. Place cereals in an aluminum plate (or on baking paper on a baking pan) and bake in over at “Broil” for a few minutes until crisp and flavourful. (about 5+ min) (or bake at 200 C) Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste if desired.
    6. Sprinkle on your salad and serve with your choice of approved Salad Dressing.

*Note: keep milk powder for a milkshake or to add to a hot drink to make it creamy.

Enjoy the lovely crunch and the taste memory of crispy italian bread cubes.
  • These recipes look amazing. I love to cook and its good to know I can create these and stay on track! Thank You!
  • Teeny Tiny Itty Bitty Croutons
    Now with a photo...

Teeny, Tiny, Itty Bitty Croutons.

I was desperate for some variety in my endless parade of salads and stumbled across this brilliant "mock crouton" recipe. Super easy, excellent crunch, and wonderful flavors... as long as you get past the fact that your croutons look like rice crispies, you'll be a happy camper. These make a lot (surprisingly so, since its only a small bowl of cereal. So I add about 1/4 of the batch to my salad, then snack on the remainer later.) And they are so good you'll wish you had used them all along. Definately a way to fall in love with your salads all over again.

Ingredients
    1 packet of Ideal Protein Plain Cereal
    2 tsp extra-Virgin oil (original recipe says 1 TB, but I think thats too much)
    1/2 tsp garlic, minced (I use a grinder with dry garlic. you can also use 1/8-1/4 tsp garlic powder)
    Dried Italian herbs, to taste (basil, oregano, thyme, marjorum, etc) (about 1/2 -1 tsp)
    I also grind a mix of sea salt and black pepper over the top of this when done baking.

Directions
    1. Using a sieve, separate cereals from milk powder.
    2. Set milk powder aside.
    3. In a medium bowl, mix olive oil, garlic and Italian herbs.
    4. Mix well and add cereal. Let stand for 30 min at room temperature.
    5. Place cereals in an aluminum plate (or on baking paper on a baking pan) and bake in over at “Broil” for a few minutes until crisp and flavourful. (about 5+ min) (or bake at 200 C) Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste if desired.
    6. Sprinkle on your salad and serve with your choice of approved Salad Dressing.

*Note: keep milk powder for a milkshake or to add to a hot drink to make it creamy.

Enjoy the lovely crunch and the taste memory of crispy italian bread cubes.