Old 08-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 137/127/117

Height: 5'2"

Unhappy Cheese on the diet

Ok, so I cheated and now would love to kick myself in the butt! I cheated with Babybel light cheese wedges. I was told that this might "wake up" my pancreas and I will have to wait another 7 to 10 days for it to go back to sleep!!! Is this true??? I would rather cry now since I am just starting my third week and I already put myself back in check since I only have about 14 pounds left to go. Thanks to anyone that can answer me.
michelletroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #2  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Hello,

I don't believe that the babybel light cheese wedges would make any difference to your diet and weight loss (I mean of course it all depends on how much of them you ate).

We are allowed dairy 25g of 0% milk per day, so, in my opinion, I do believe that you're fine.

In my experience, I cheated just once since I started this diet eating cheese puffs, chips, sweetcorn and watermelon, it affected my weight loss by only a small gain of 1.25 pounds the week I cheated then I went back to the straight and narrow and lost all I gained plus some more, I lost a lot the week afte my cheat.

So don't worry too much.

Best of luck.
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 137/127/117

Height: 5'2"

Thanks Sandra! I cheated with it yesterday and only lost 1.2 at my weigh in this morning, but the thing that worried me more is the waking of my pancreas and possibly it not going back to sleep for 7 to 10 days...that seems like a very long time and it is very discouraging
michelletroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #4  
On my last diet

S/C/G: 197.6/163.2/146

Height: 5'

I don't believe that a little cheese is a problem. It has minimal carbs. On Atkins I ate mega cheese and rarely went out of ketosis. My problem with cheese is that I love it and a little would lead to more.
JackieGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelletroy View Post
Ok, so I cheated and now would love to kick myself in the butt! I cheated with Babybel light cheese wedges. I was told that this might "wake up" my pancreas and I will have to wait another 7 to 10 days for it to go back to sleep!!! Is this true??? I would rather cry now since I am just starting my third week and I already put myself back in check since I only have about 14 pounds left to go. Thanks to anyone that can answer me.
You are being given some incorrect information.

Your pancreas is NEVER asleep. Plain and simple the pancreas always has work to do. It does not only produce insulin it has a hand producing enzymes too.

We just put the pancreas at rest and by that we mean we take it to a lowest necessary level of activity.

Next, the amount of carbs in a piece of the cheese you describe is LESS than the boost in carbs we get from the occasional veggies we are allowed 2x a week. So, you would not be making it more "awake" by what you did and if that information you were provided were correct you would be set back 7 to 10 days following many occasional vegetable uses.

ALSO, the pancreas insulin production level goes down when you are in ketosis. It takes anywhere from 1 to 10 days to go into ketosis and, on average, it is normally 3 to 4 days. So, even if that were pulling you out, given how low your carb level was the rest of the day, you would barely move out ketosis for a day or so and be back in.

The bigger reason we avoid cheese is the added fat can slow down the fat burning process we go through in ketosis.

You will be fine.

I didn't do it and some people wouldn't agree or recommend it while others have done it successfully with the approval of their coaches but, some have used a small amount of cheese (less than an ounce) every day instead of the skim milk allowed. They will use a low to no fat cheese if possible but always a 0 to low carb cheese. The fat will boost your calories and can slow things down so, I don't recommend it for the best success.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

The one tiny little cheat I had was a lowfat string cheese on the day of my grandma's funeral because it was late and I hadn't eaten anything yet. I let it get the best of me because I was thinking it could replace my 1oz of dairy I've never had. I was fine. And you should be too. I miss cheese a lot and want it bad but I'm sure I couldn't stop if I started eating it.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/154/135

Height: 5ft 1

I had some cheese 4 weeks in and it did not affect my weight loss that week or the week after.
SVermonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 512/471/300

Height: 5'11"

Ever now and then I sneak a piece of cheese. I used to really love old cheese, the older the better. My doctor said I am allowed a few pieces of skim milk cheese a week. It is not the same but hey, what can you do.
crash302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #9  

I use Feta Cheese about 3 to 4 times a week with my dinner. Have always lost and never gained. But my coach says you might have lost more if you didn't use the cheese. Whatever............ I love cheese!!
FluffButt is offline   Reply With Quote