Old 08-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #1  
aka CAT

S/C/G: 212.4/204.6/170

Height: 5'-10"

Default Who's doing callanethics?

I'm looking into changing up my toning program....time to shake things up a bit and give my muscles a new challenge. Anyone here been consistent and successful (of course) with callanethics? Which program(s) have you used?

Thanks in advance for any input......

CAT

Last edited by gettinmygrooveback; 08-13-2011 at 09:59 PM.
gettinmygrooveback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 203.2/162/140

Height: 5'4"

No. I haven't had any structured exercise in years! I just bought some Zumba dvd's because I have heard from friends who are all shapes & sizes that is fun & a great workout at the same time!!!

Good luck finding something that will work for you!!!!!
chellebee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 5"

I have some callanetics DVD, but I haven't ever been consistent with them. If you google callanetics, there is a great subforum on a low carb friends board that focuses on callanetics.
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/256/120

Height: 5'2"

I decided to do Callanethics last week and my DVD's should be here by Wed. Will keep you posted tho
nikkib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #5  
aka CAT

Thanks all....And i just caught my bad grammar.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'5"

I did callanetics consistently about 5 years ago. My results were fantastic. I don't know why I stopped! I started doing callanetics again last week. I did 10 in 10 twice and boy was I sore! I plan on doing it 2 or 3 times a week from now on. Callanetics is the only program that tightens and tones my problem areas quickly.
Nads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #7  
On my last diet

S/C/G: 197.6/163.2/146

Height: 5'

Yesterday I searched this town for a calanetics dvd - Chapters, superstore, Future Shop, used book and dvd stores. No luck.

I'm thinking maybe that's a good thing. I can probably do it myself with the help of youtube. I decided I could even put together a personallized program that will tighten me up but not kick me into starvation mode.

After all, after I had my knees done I went to all the trouble and expense of becoming a certified personal trainer and I've never used it.

At the time I was all mostivated by watching a group of old people with cardio pulmonary issues having an exercise program at the same time as my physio. Also I was excited because I was the STAR of the physio group - stronger, more flexible and more balance - I have NEVER been the star of anything physical in my life.

so I can definitely design my own toning and tightening easy program with the help of youtube and all my books. I have a ton of weights and resistance bands and a lozengeshaped balance ball. So that's my new plan.
JackieGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #8  
On my last diet

Actually having said all that, I am thinking of signing up for a pilates reformer class this fall. I don't find that heavy duty strenuous but it's still a workout and it will help me get my torso slimmer.

My friends son is back from Afghanistan and he has some serious issues (mental and physical) as a result. He's a big hulking stocky guy and he is required to do pilates as part of his therapy. His whole shape is changing and he no longer just looks stocky but leaner through the middle.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #9  
aka CAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieGee View Post
Yesterday I searched this town for a calanetics dvd - Chapters, superstore, Future Shop, used book and dvd stores. No luck.

I'm thinking maybe that's a good thing. I can probably do it myself with the help of youtube. I decided I could even put together a personallized program that will tighten me up but not kick me into starvation mode.

After all, after I had my knees done I went to all the trouble and expense of becoming a certified personal trainer and I've never used it.

At the time I was all mostivated by watching a group of old people with cardio pulmonary issues having an exercise program at the same time as my physio. Also I was excited because I was the STAR of the physio group - stronger, more flexible and more balance - I have NEVER been the star of anything physical in my life.

so I can definitely design my own toning and tightening easy program with the help of youtube and all my books. I have a ton of weights and resistance bands and a lozengeshaped balance ball. So that's my new plan.
I ordered the 10 in 10 off amazon.com (don't have it yet) but I honestly never thought about using youtube as my guide. Guess what I'll be doing later this afternoon? Thanks for that tip.

As many years as I have been doing structured exercise, you'd think I'd have numerous routines imprinted in my brain. Not so. I quit being a gym rat years ago. I hated being Ms. Piggy, busting my butt and getting no results. I was accused of cheating by TWO personal trainers just because their programs didn't work for me. This was before I discovered my dysfuntional thyroid. I did Jazzercise for 8 months and never lost a pound...only gained sore feet and knees. I get so much more done at home on my own time with my own minimal equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieGee View Post
Actually having said all that, I am thinking of signing up for a pilates reformer class this fall. I don't find that heavy duty strenuous but it's still a workout and it will help me get my torso slimmer.

My friends son is back from Afghanistan and he has some serious issues (mental and physical) as a result. He's a big hulking stocky guy and he is required to do pilates as part of his therapy. His whole shape is changing and he no longer just looks stocky but leaner through the middle.
I bought a second-hand Aero Pilates machine. Only used it a few times because I started having problem with my left knee. The machine has been calling my name here lately so it must be time! I lose weight and NOW my knee likes to give out on me. In yoga, I can no longer sit back on my feet.....weird but I keep working on strengthening. I will get there. I'm looking forward to being long and lean.

Good luck developing your program.....let me know when your DVD comes out!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 252.8/165.2/170

Height: 5'10"

I wasn't sure what callanetics was so I googled it. Which one is better to do Callanetics evolution or Cardicallanetics? Hoping to get rid of this jiggly body.
Louisiana chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #11  
aka CAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads View Post
I did callanetics consistently about 5 years ago. My results were fantastic. I don't know why I stopped! I started doing callanetics again last week. I did 10 in 10 twice and boy was I sore! I plan on doing it 2 or 3 times a week from now on. Callanetics is the only program that tightens and tones my problem areas quickly.
That's what I'm wanting to hear! Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisiana chick View Post
I wasn't sure what callanetics was so I googled it. Which one is better to do Callanetics evolution or Cardicallanetics? Hoping to get rid of this jiggly body.
You go me on that. I am going to be doing the 10 in 10. From what I read on amazon.com, I think the evolution is more advanced and the cardio is just that more cardio. I did see a beginners also for people who are new to exercise. Check youtube and you might get some ideas from there if nobody can give you a better response. Let us know how you proceed...always curious!

Forgot to add...see MOvingon's post above. There is a link to a discussion board. It's on my list of things to do today!

Last edited by gettinmygrooveback; 08-14-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinmygrooveback View Post
That's what I'm wanting to hear! Thanks...

You go me on that. I am going to be doing the 10 in 10. From what I read on amazon.com, I think the evolution is more advanced and the cardio is just that more cardio. I did see a beginners also for people who are new to exercise. Check youtube and you might get some ideas from there if nobody can give you a better response. Let us know how you proceed...always curious!

Forgot to add...see MOvingon's post above. There is a link to a discussion board. It's on my list of things to do today!
I find that forum and the before and after pics so inspiring!
I have 10 in 10 and Supercallanetics. 10 in 10 is a great place to start with Callanetics and it is enough of a challenge! Supercallanetics is the same, but faster, more reps, more challenge. What I've read says start with 10 in 10 and when it's mastered move to Super. I don't have the cardio versions, but I think for cardio I would do something else.
One of the reasons I haven't been consistent with Callanetics is because after 1 session of 10 in 10 I am sore for 3 days. After 3 days it's difficult for me to get back at it. Lame, I know. The point is that the old DVDs work- and you'll feel it!
On that note I'm going to commit to doing 10 in 10 3 times this week. It's gonna hurt, but I'm going to stay accountable here.
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #13  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

I am restarting this week. I finally created a schedule. I am going back to doing it M,W,F. My body really liked it and it's not such a hard workout that I will stop losing.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #14  
aka CAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0vingon View Post
I find that forum and the before and after pics so inspiring!
I have 10 in 10 and Supercallanetics. 10 in 10 is a great place to start with Callanetics and it is enough of a challenge! Supercallanetics is the same, but faster, more reps, more challenge. What I've read says start with 10 in 10 and when it's mastered move to Super. I don't have the cardio versions, but I think for cardio I would do something else.
One of the reasons I haven't been consistent with Callanetics is because after 1 session of 10 in 10 I am sore for 3 days. After 3 days it's difficult for me to get back at it. Lame, I know. The point is that the old DVDs work- and you'll feel it!
On that note I'm going to commit to doing 10 in 10 3 times this week. It's gonna hurt, but I'm going to stay accountable here.
Thanks for the additional input!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #15  
On my last diet

Okay I know I said I had decided to not get the callanetics DVD but I was in Walmart and just took a look to see if they had it. They didn't but they did have:

The New York Ballet Workout video. I got it - my childish dream of being a ballerina forced me to - and OMG! It is such a beautiful workout video. Very slow and peaceful - in fact, watching it - just to preview - I wasn't moving - I started to fall asleep. I think that doing some of the segments could keep me limber and maintain some muscle strength without making me feel like I'm working out.

I think I should look for a tutu (LOL that would be a gross sight) put on lots of eye makeup (ala Black Swan), get a headband, and let my little ballerina out once in a while.
I'll just have to make sure the blinds are closed real tight.