Old 08-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 175.2/170.4/130

Height: 5'3"

Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with their TOM and spotting while on this diet? My TOM only lasted 3 days this round (which was last week) and now im spotting ..... anyone else had this issue and is it normal?
MJKinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #32  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJKinMN View Post
Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with their TOM and spotting while on this diet? My TOM only lasted 3 days this round (which was last week) and now im spotting ..... anyone else had this issue and is it normal?
There are a lot that have issues with TOM. Do a search for TOM issues with IP or read a few of the other threads about it. I'll bump a few for you
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #33  
Started I.P 06/11/11

S/C/G: 190/158/125

Height: 5"3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJKinMN View Post
Hey all!

I have, but it's because your burning your fat and there is lots of extra hormones being released, it's not big of a deal, just annoying!!!!!
colley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 264/254/180

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busymomx4 View Post
WI#1 -10.6 Wish it was more but i'm happy
Congrats!!! Thats an awesome W#1!!!!!!
fattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 165/136/135

Height: 5'5

I am having an obsession with TOM week, and it seems like others are too...
today my coach came to work to weigh me in, i gained .8 but she says not to stress because of my period and although i ate super OP for wedding weekend, I am sure their was hidden fat and sodium....
Plus side I lost 2 more inches off waist, and 1 inch off hips and thighs.
Here are a few things I pulled off sites about TOM...

1) "I have a Dieter that has been on the protocol for over 4 months and has lost
about 33lbs. For the last 3 weeks she has had no weight loss. She is also on
her menstrual cycle again: 2 weeks now, before it was 3."

She is having more frequent "periods", then it would stand to reason she will gain water weight one week prior to her menses. Also check her food diary; a lot of
dieters get a little "slack" with this once they are a few months into the program.
Contemplate a week or two of a the protocol with the “rocket-Fuel” foods only (no
restricted foods) and no restricted vegetables.

2) Is it possible for the IP program to trigger hormone receptors that bring on
'Menopause' or 'Premenopausal" symptoms and/or actual on-set?
No. As women lose fat, estrogen and estrogen-like compounds (called "xenoestrogens")
are released from the fat cell along with the fat. These compounds may
bind to and stimulate estrogen receptors causing, among other things, fluctuations in
the woman's menstrual cycle. You may see post-menopausal women start to "spot"
or younger women having prolonged or multiple periods per month. This is always
transient and everything will return "to baseline" once most of the fat has been lost.
We also know that in overweight, post-menopausal women, the adipocyte will
produce "E-1" (estrone), one of the 3 types of estrogen. This is a risk factor for
many cancers, including breast cancer. Losing the weight seems to lessen this
production and the cancer risk is reduced. This is the basis for using some of the
"phyto-estrogens" and similar compounds (Rx drugs Nolvadex and Evista) for the
prevention or re-occurrence of breast CA (these being very weak estrogens, they
compete for the estrogen receptor with the estrone and the overall effect is to lessen
estrogenic activity.

3) What is the relation between the Ideal Protein Protocol and pregnancy?
It takes about three days to completely "drain the glycogen tank" and force your body to really get into the fat burning mode. This means we probably wouldn't see a measurable increase in estrogen levels until at least a full week into the program. We should counsel women who are still fertile to use a "back-up" form of contraception in addition to BC's if they are sexually active and are starting the protocol, as changes in their cycles may occur and may render the pills less effective particularly if they have 25 lbs or more to lose.

4) How does the protocol affect the menstrual cycle?
We knick-name the fat cell (the adipocyte) the "third ovary" as it stores excess estrogens and substances with estrogen-like activity ("xenoestrogens") such as toxins found in plastics and pesticides. The body has a hard time eliminating them and if the liver can't process them all, the body stashes them in the fat cell (because they are lypophilic substances - easily dissolved in fat) to basically "keep them from binding to estrogen receptors and causing "trouble". As the ladies burn fat, these substances are released in the blood stream and can cause irregularities in their menstrual cycles (prolonged periods, multiple periods / month, spotting in POST menopausal women and may make oral contraceptives less
reliable). These problems are only temporary and will completely resolve by the end of Phase 2 (if not before).

5) "I have a patient doing well on protocol however she has swelling problems
in extremities. She said she always has these problems when she had
menstrual cycles (now menopausal). She had swelling during all
pregnancies."
Her estrogen levels are probably higher now (do to the fat loss) and this may
partially explain the water retention. Have her check her blood pressure; if it is low she made need to increase her salt. Find out if she is on an antihypertensive drug. Certain ones like the calcium channel blockers can cause swelling in the extremities if her BP is too low. Should this be the case, her physician may need to decrease the dose. She needs about 2000 to 2400 mgs of sea-salt / day. If her body doesn't get this, anti-diuretic hormone is secreted which causes the body to retain what little
sodium there is and consequently water retention will follow. Try having her
increase the use of her salt and suggest a soup once a day for a week.
leganegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 175.2/170.4/130

Height: 5'3"

Thanks a million ladies!!!! At least my consolation for the annoyance is that I'm burning fat. In that case, BURN BABY BURN!!!
MJKinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 155/137.2/125 - Age 25

Height: 5'1

Hello!! It's day 2 for me today, looking around for some support - looks like most of you guys have had great success - how inspiring!
Bride2Be310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #38  
Pat R

S/C/G: 219/209/175

Height: 5'6.5"

Default You can do it! :)

Aloha everyone! Today I moved to Ph-3 and 5 pounds from goal. I am so happy!!!

It's been a journey but I can still say "as long as you follow protocol, you will lose pounds/inches!" In 7 1/2 months, I stuck to the program and here I am today.

There is such a wealth on information and inspiration on these boards. I hope many of you "newbies" take advantage of it.

Good luck to all of you and congratulations to so many who are reaping the rewards and making goals along the way. I just had to share and hope to motivate and inspire you as I was when I first started.
hawndragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #39  
3 lbs at a time!

S/C/G: 203/188/140

Height: 5'4"

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawndragon View Post
Aloha everyone! Today I moved to Ph-3 and 5 pounds from goal. I am so happy!!!

It's been a journey but I can still say "as long as you follow protocol, you will lose pounds/inches!" In 7 1/2 months, I stuck to the program and here I am today.

There is such a wealth on information and inspiration on these boards. I hope many of you "newbies" take advantage of it.

Good luck to all of you and congratulations to so many who are reaping the rewards and making goals along the way. I just had to share and hope to motivate and inspire you as I was when I first started.

Yay, that is awesome! Congratulations!!
YvetteSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #40  
3 lbs at a time!

S/C/G: 203/188/140

Height: 5'4"

Just finished a nice walk outside. I work from home and normally don't take a lunch break, I work straight through and get off early. A co-worker is on vacation so I have to take a break. It was nice to get away from my desk and go for a walk. My goal is to go for a walk everyday this week during my lunch break.
YvetteSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #41  
On my last diet

S/C/G: 197.6/163.2/146

Height: 5'

Wow Hawndragon, did you lose all that 91 lbs in just 7 1/2 months?

That's wonderful.

It gives me hope that I can get down 50 lbs by Christmas. I have over 70 pounds to lose in all.

How much will depend on where I feel comfortable when I get there but since I'm only 5 foot I'm thinking it needs to be below 130
JackieGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #42  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 261 / see ticker / 155

So disappointed! Had my 4th weigh in today and only lost 1 lb. I also had my total loss off by 1 so still only down 12.

Here is my sample diet, let me know if I am messing anything up.

Breakfast: Drink (usually chocolate or yogurt), vitamins and water
Lunch: Chicken Soup with 2 cups broccoli, water
Dinner: 5-6 ounces chicken/beef/sometimes fish or shrimp, lettuce, 2 cups veggies, little bit of olive oil, soy sauce and salt for dressing. Water. Vitamins.
Snack: Bar or pudding. Vitamins. Water.
Try to get at least 64 ounces of water but aim for more.

Also, is lunch meat acceptable for parts of the protein?
Krista7382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #43  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista7382 View Post
So disappointed! Had my 4th weigh in today and only lost 1 lb. I also had my total loss off by 1 so still only down 12.

Dinner: 5-6 ounces chicken/beef/sometimes fish or shrimp, lettuce, 2 cups veggies, little bit of olive oil, soy sauce and salt for dressing. Water. Vitamins.

Do NOT be disappointed in only a pound lost...it is a LOSS!!...your body is making adjustments, it will show in the next WI.

I would up my water that is for sure, the more water you drink the more you will lose. I would also maybe go up in my protein to the higher range. This seems to be the key sometimes. Again these are only my suggestions/opinions but from reading and trying to help others that seems to work. Here is to another OP week for you!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #44  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 261 / see ticker / 155

Thanks wuv!! I knew you'd have something for me
Krista7382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #45  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista7382 View Post

My coach said to eat the restricted for lunch or breakfast only. Try eating the bars earlier. Also sometimes I have the snack at 4 and don't eat anything after dinner.. However, you may be fine with a snack later as lots of people do,
Also..it could just be that you are slow this week and will lose next week. Great job staying OP>
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote