Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 185/182/150

Height: 5'7"

Here is a dinner idea. I got this recipe several years ago from spark people, when I was doing ww. I used to make it all the time. Here's the recipe with some modifications.

Crock Pot Salsa Chicken
put 3-4 chicken breasts in the bottom of crock pot. Cover with a package of taco seasoning (I am going to use my own, because there is too much salt and sugar in some of the prepackaged kinds). Cover with a big jar of salsa. (The recipe calls for salsa and a can of cream of chicken soup. you could use the low fat kind?) Cook on high for 6 hours or so. The chicken will shred up when it's done. You could mix in some ff sour cream, and you could serve it over some brown rice, or with whole wheat tortillas.

I haven't made it yet without the soup in it, I am going to try it tomorrow. I am going to make brown rice to go with it. And I am going to add FF sour cream to it when it's done cooking. It would probably need some salt added to it.

Does that sound like it fits for Phase 4?
Old 09-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #107  
Maintaining-March, 2011

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpassport View Post
Have you all seen the new Phase 4 sheet? Brummie posted it in the Experienced thread.

I confirmed with my coach that this IS the correct new Phase 4 sheet. Notice it says lunch is "poor" in carbs and dinner is "poor" in fats, which makes more sense to me than "no" carbs/fas set forth in the prior Phase 4 sheet. But I wish they gave us some guidelines as to how many grams of carbs to stay under at lunch and how many grams of fat to stay under at dinner. Any ideas?
I wish I knew the answer to that too. I'm a counter. A chicken breast has around 5 grams of fat, the steak I had last night had 24 fat grams, even quinoa has 4 grams of fat per cup. It all adds up. How much is too much? We should all ask our coaches and see what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowegrel View Post
Hi All- I am a lurker but don't post much. Have been on phase 4 for about 2 months. I am doing fine weight -wise but am becoming bored with r=eating the same things everyday....am looking forward to some more ideas for "fat" lunches and carb , no-fat dinner. here is what I have been eating:
Breakfast: 2 slices light wheat toast with peanut butter, 2 pieces lean turkey bacon, 1/2 c greek yogurt (fat free)with 1c strawberries and 1c light soy milk

Lunch: chicken salad with veggies and full-fat dressing for fat......sometimes a few prok rinds if i want a crunch or some sunflower seeds on my salad (getting VERY boring)

Dinner: Protein and veggies, salad with WF dressing and either a roll or a small baked potatoe with I can't believe its not butter sparay, and some strawberries or a peach after dinner

Snack: IP food or some almonds

HELP!
I think you've got it! I see there is an IP recipe book at my clinic. Do they charge for those or are they free? Maybe there are more ideas in there. We should continue to post ideas here as I also find I am eating the same things over & over (chicken on salad at lunch is the perfect example). I did mix it up a little last week. I picked up 8 pieces of seared tuna sashimi, cut them and had in a salad of with WF sesame ginger dressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandam6 View Post
Here is a dinner idea. I got this recipe several years ago from spark people, when I was doing ww. I used to make it all the time. Here's the recipe with some modifications.

Crock Pot Salsa Chicken
put 3-4 chicken breasts in the bottom of crock pot. Cover with a package of taco seasoning (I am going to use my own, because there is too much salt and sugar in some of the prepackaged kinds). Cover with a big jar of salsa. (The recipe calls for salsa and a can of cream of chicken soup. you could use the low fat kind?) Cook on high for 6 hours or so. The chicken will shred up when it's done. You could mix in some ff sour cream, and you could serve it over some brown rice, or with whole wheat tortillas.

I haven't made it yet without the soup in it, I am going to try it tomorrow. I am going to make brown rice to go with it. And I am going to add FF sour cream to it when it's done cooking. It would probably need some salt added to it.

Does that sound like it fits for Phase 4?
This sounds so good and probably perfect for P4. I love crock pot foods. Keep those suggestions coming.

Have a great day.

Lynn
Old 09-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #108  
started IP 1.11.11

S/C/G: 242/209/175

Oh ladies, I've failed. I seriously suck at maintenance. I've been on it two weeks and it's become a "eat good a couple days, bomb a couple days, repeat." I'm up 8 lbs from my lowest and feeling pretty crappy. My clothes are tight. What should I do? I'm really bummed at my lack of willpower.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 212/196/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash825 View Post
Oh ladies, I've failed. I seriously suck at maintenance. I've been on it two weeks and it's become a "eat good a couple days, bomb a couple days, repeat." I'm up 8 lbs from my lowest and feeling pretty crappy. My clothes are tight. What should I do? I'm really bummed at my lack of willpower.
I would say back to phase 1 or 2 until you get the pounds off and re-evaluate how you are going to handle maintenance. Do it now before you are 10,15 or 20 pounds up. This is exactly what I am afraid of. I start phase 3 next week and then phase off. I will croak if I unable to maintain after all of this time and money.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #110  
Maintaining-March, 2011

Quote:
Oh Ash...You haven't failed. Maintenance is hard. That's why we have this thread. I can relate to what you are saying. I have never really done phase 4 as written. I do pretty well tracking with MFP but I would love to be able to get a handle on the IP maintenance plan.

So you know that 5 of those pounds are what IP says you will gain back when you start eating carbs and building your glycogen stores so you are actually only up 3 pounds at most. If that makes you uncomfortable, you should go back to phase 1/2 to drop those pounds quickly. Then try phase 4 again with us. This is a lifelong process and we will have our ups & downs. Don't throw in the towel. You have done so well.

Lynn
Old 09-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #111  

S/C/G: 170/138/130

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Don't be discouraged! You've done such awesome work losing the weight. Resolve to keep the weight off and stick with it. I think going back to Phase 2 for a while might be a good idea (but if you do, spend some time planning how you will do maintenance differrently). Maybe you can ask your coach for guidance? I personally am having a very difficult time trying to figure out how to eat on maintenance. I don't think the Phase 4 sheet really gives us enough info, so I'm trying to combine it with MFP and low carb principles, but it seems like a lot of guesswork. If we are going to keep the extra weight off, we each HAVE TO figure out what is going to work for us day in and day out. Part of the process is going to be trial and error, so maybe you've just learned what won't work for you. That doesn't mean nothing will work for you.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #112  

S/C/G: 185/182/150

Quote:
Maintenance is hard! Basically, it's starting over with a whole new diet, and change is hard. We have to learn portion control because nothing is pre-measured for us anymore. Maintenance is definitely not as black and white as the other phases. I am learning that there are still a lot of foods, I just can't keep in the house. I am eating a Phase 1 breakfast, Phase 2 lunch, and dinner I am still trying to figure out. Hopefully we can all figure this out together.

I also notice that if I track what I am eating, either writing it down, or tracking it online (And be totally honest about it, even when I screw up), I do better overall.

Last edited by brandam6; 09-02-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #113  

S/C/G: 162/132/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Don't give up! This is the hardest thing you will do with IP, but it will be worth it in the end. I've maintained since first of April 11. I've had to figure out what I could and could not eat. I'm primarily a phase 2 kind of person with a free day once a week. It's just my body's response to carbs - it likes them a little too much. I also use My Fitness Pal tracker and it helps alot! I know that to maintain my weight, I must not let my carbs be over 30 % of my daily intake. Just go back to phase 1 or 2, drop a couple of lbs, then experiment with what you eat during the day - you have to figure out what triggers your weight gain.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Menu wise here is roughly what I've been sticking to:
Breakfast-
Greek Yogurt 3/4 C, Berries 1C, Granola 1/3 C, 1 WW toast with 1T natural PB
or
3 slices Turkey or Chicken Bacon, 2 Eggs, 2 slices WW toast with very easy butter, 1/2 grapefruit with Stevia
or
'Egg McMuffin'- English Muffin easy butter, 1 Egg, ham or turkey bacon, cheese, 1/2 grapefruit
Lunch:
My favorite lunch by far is a Greek Salad:
Mixed Peppers (yellow, green, orange, red)
cucumbers
red onion
tomato
30 g lite feta
2T Italian dressing
I chop all of my peppers, cucumbers and onion on one day and pre-portion them for the next three days this makes it much quicker to put together. This can be topped with chicken for the protein or my go to tends to be 2 hard boiled eggs. I find hard boiled eggs to be great for a protein because they too can be made ahead and are ready for use when needed. They are filling, no muss and easy to eat on the go.
Dinner:
This is the most challenging meal by far. It is supposed to be our lightest meal but that is completely contradictory to societal norm and my family is having some difficulty adjusting Last night I made a truly wondrous Beef Barley Soup that I found on All Recipes. I modified for the slow cooker and found it super yummy and filling I will definitely be making it again
Old 09-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #115  
Maintaining-March, 2011

Default Barley Soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricious View Post
Menu wise here is roughly what I've been sticking to:
Breakfast-
Greek Yogurt 3/4 C, Berries 1C, Granola 1/3 C, 1 WW toast with 1T natural PB
or
3 slices Turkey or Chicken Bacon, 2 Eggs, 2 slices WW toast with very easy butter, 1/2 grapefruit with Stevia
or
'Egg McMuffin'- English Muffin easy butter, 1 Egg, ham or turkey bacon, cheese, 1/2 grapefruit
Lunch:
My favorite lunch by far is a Greek Salad:
Mixed Peppers (yellow, green, orange, red)
cucumbers
red onion
tomato
30 g lite feta
2T Italian dressing
I chop all of my peppers, cucumbers and onion on one day and pre-portion them for the next three days this makes it much quicker to put together. This can be topped with chicken for the protein or my go to tends to be 2 hard boiled eggs. I find hard boiled eggs to be great for a protein because they too can be made ahead and are ready for use when needed. They are filling, no muss and easy to eat on the go.
Dinner:
This is the most challenging meal by far. It is supposed to be our lightest meal but that is completely contradictory to societal norm and my family is having some difficulty adjusting Last night I made a truly wondrous Beef Barley Soup that I found on All Recipes. I modified for the slow cooker and found it super yummy and filling I will definitely be making it again
The barley soup sounds great...perfect for fall. Can you share the recipe with your modifications?

It sounds like you are in the swing of maintenance! Keep posting your ideas. They sound spot on.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #116  

2 pounds Beef Stew meat
1 bay leaf
3 carrots, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 cups water
4 cubes beef bouillon cube
1 package Stevia
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (28 ounce) can chopped stewed tomatoes (I think any canned tomatoes will do)

1/2 cup barley
1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
Put everything before the Barley into a crockpot (I prepped everything the night before) and turn on low for 8- 10 hours. The closer you can get to 10 the better. An hour to two before eating add the barley, salt & pepper, mixed veggies...
Old 09-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #117  

Quote:
Go back to Phase 1. Now!!! The rigor of it will refocus your mindset (being more strict with yourself). YOU HAVE NOT FAILED. You Succeeded in losing weight and you can Succeed in keeping it off. Maintenance is a VERY grey area but I agree with prior suggestions of Phase 1-ing it until you're back at goal (you KNOW you can do that because you have done it already). It is supposed to take 3 weeks to make a habit. After you get back to goal weight commit to following maintenance to the letter for at least 3 weeks. You would be surprised how much easier it is to follow along after you've made something a habit. Plan which day will be a free day to ensure that there is only one a week and when there is a slip- commit yourself to doing strict Phase 1/2 the next day- not just for the physical benefit of not producing insulin but for the mental benefit of reigning yourself in. Good luck Ash- you can do this!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #118  

S/C/G: IP160/131/130

Height: 5'3"

capricious -- the beef barley soup sounds wonderful! Definitely on my list of new things to try!

While I am only at Phase 3, my husband is now in Phase 4. He eats a Phase 3 breakfast, a Phase 2 lunch (uses salad dressing and has a cottage cheese or some other dairy with fat with his Phase 2 lunch) and then has a Phase 1 dinner with me and a sweet potatoe or some other carb. He isn't gaining any weight back -- three weeks. Of course, he is a man and they seem to get away with more than women do as far as eating.

It is good to know that you can go back to Phase 1 if things get out of control in maintenance.

Anyway, I am loving Phase 3 breakfast -- I cannot believe I can eat all of that food and not gain. It scares the willies out of me -- but, so far . . . no gain. (only been on Phase 3 for two days).
Old 09-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #119  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Loser View Post
capricious -- the beef barley soup sounds wonderful! Definitely on my list of new things to try!

While I am only at Phase 3, my husband is now in Phase 4. He eats a Phase 3 breakfast, a Phase 2 lunch (uses salad dressing and has a cottage cheese or some other dairy with fat with his Phase 2 lunch) and then has a Phase 1 dinner with me and a sweet potatoe or some other carb. He isn't gaining any weight back -- three weeks. Of course, he is a man and they seem to get away with more than women do as far as eating.

It is good to know that you can go back to Phase 1 if things get out of control in maintenance.

Anyway, I am loving Phase 3 breakfast -- I cannot believe I can eat all of that food and not gain. It scares the willies out of me -- but, so far . . . no gain. (only been on Phase 3 for two days).
Going into Phase 3 was SCARY. I could not wrap my head around the fact that I was supposed to eat all these extra calories and accept gaining weight (as I was told this is what would happen). My coach had to provide a lot of reassurance that my body would process the carbs properly now that my pancreas had been reset. To have faith in the process. I was one of the ones who lost weight in Phase 3 (but I did keep lunch and dinners to eggs & tuna I was just too freaked out) and when I moved into Phase 4 I couldn't bring myself to eat the carb in the evenings- it just seemed dicey- but am now finally introducing it and have been maintaining my current weight (yay!!) for the past couple weeks. The thing I never really realized before is that in order to maintain you have to accept healthful, measured eating. Which to my old self would have read: Diet; not everyday eating. Now I've come to accept that 6 days out of the week I have to be very conscious of what and how much I'm eating and for 1 day DON'T WORRY about it. And I find on that one day I still make healthful choices along with my unhealthy ones. As I pay in discomfort if I have something too sugary even if I'm not paying in weight gain
Old 09-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #120  
IP started 4/25/11

S/C/G: 265/Seeticker/140

Height: 5'5"

So...In phase 4, the Free day isn't followed by phase 1, just a normal day?
Closed Thread