Old 08-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188.6/179.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Question Morning Excercise

Hi there...couple week lurker here just absorbing all of you guys information! I can't thank you enough for all of the great tips and help you guys give on here!

So here's my question...I just started IP a little over a week ago and feeling great. I want to get back to doing my elliptical in the morning which is usually when I feel a little icky til I get moving. Coach said ok to do it just not to over do it and push too hard in the beginning and to make my drink the night before so I can sip on it while on the machine. Not really keen on doing that, I would rather drink water which I have been doing and saving my packet til after I get ready for my regular breakfast. What do you think??? Is that a bad idea to be doing????

I've read the athletic protocol and all the plans of others doing exercise but all those people work out in the afternoon.
dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #2  
Incredible Shrinking Wife

S/C/G: 172.8/142/130

Height: 5'4"

I'm not much on early morning breakfast either (usually need a cup of coffee first, or at least with, a shake!)... I'm training for a half marathon and my coach suggested on lighter workout days (2-3 miles) that I have some water with 1/2 tsp sea salt before the workout, and another dose afterward... this is in contrast to the heavier workout days when I add an additional IP packet post-workout (5+ miles or strength training).

That said, I've definitely noticed a difference in my workout ability since starting IP, and I have had to more carefully watch my HR to not spike it...
MrsD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 243.6/196.4/165

Height: 5'5"

Bad idea. You should have our packet before you work out especially if you are doing it in the morning in a fasted state. What will happen if you don't have the packet is that your body will resort to using it's own protein for energy. Thus you will lose muscle. The packet will prevent this. It would be better to have one before and one after than to just have one after.
murleya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #4  
On my last diet

S/C/G: 197.6/163.2/146

Height: 5'

I used to work out in the morning but stopped this spring and have been really sporadic ever since. Then for some reason, when I was told at my initial consultaiton that I wasn't to exercise, I became "OMG, I HAVE to exercise - it's my LIFE!" That's in spite of the fact that it hasn't been my life since march. LOL

And then this past wednesday at the wi I did it AGAIN! Even though I had only been to the gym once on the weekend. So this time I insisted that I had to exercise - (AFTER ALL IT'S MY LIFE!) and this is how she told me to eat on my morning exercise days:

a bar first thing before I workout
when I get home - 2 eggs for breakfast
a restricted packet for lunch

and then as usual

However, after all that insistence - I STILL haven't gotten up and worked out.

Now that I'm coming to my senses, I think I might put my gym membership on a medical hold (save some money) and just diet and get some walking in until I hit phase 2.

I have weights at home so if I want I can certainly still do my weight training.
JackieGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #5  
aka CAT

S/C/G: 212.4/204.6/170

Height: 5'-10"

Totally agree with murleyal.....normally there would be glucose in your system to burn off before it began burning fat, but you have none. Give yourself that protein boost prior in order to reap any fat/calorie burning benefit from exercise.
gettinmygrooveback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

During the week I workout in the early evening, but I get up on Saturday mornings to workout. What I do is:

7:00- IP Packet
8:30-9:30 Workout
9:30- IP ready to drink chocolate (immediately following exercise)
12:30- 6-8 oz protein, 2 cups veggies, salad & 1 t. olive oil
4:00- IP Restricted
7:00- IP packet, 2 cups veggies, salad & 1 t. olive oil

It has been working great for me. Definitely scale your workout to your energy level. The first 3 weeks my energy was way down and I had to really take it easy with exercise. Ever since then, I have noticed that I am at or above my energy level before IP.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188.6/179.8/160

Height: 5'7"

I don't do any restricted (bars) yet... but that's what I was afraid was happening. I don't have a problem drinking the packet while working out lightly, the machine is in my bedroom so its literally rolling over and changing clothes and getting going. But what I am on the fence about is then the later time when I "normally" eat breakfast...should I have another packet do you think making it four for the day??? Eat an hard boiled egg?? I just don't want to over do it but don't want to "starve" the body either. Just wanted to pick your thoughts....
Thanks for the great replies...keep them coming!
dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I would say to stay away from drinking a packet while you are working out. Have something before and after, not during. Just stick to water during your workout.

And yes, I do 4 packets a day plus a meal on my own on days I workout.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 132.5/116.2/120

Height: 5'5"

I usually work out in the morning and when I was on phase I I would make sure that I finished my breakfast packet about 1 1/2 to 2 hours before the workout so I had time to digest it. Then immediately after the workout I would have a hard boiled egg. Then lunch as usual.

Now that I'm past Phase I and having a power breakfast I actually have to set my alarm to get up and eat breakfast because it's a lot of food and I don't want to feel sick during the workout.
Susank2 is offline   Reply With Quote