Old 08-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243.6/196.4/165

Height: 5'5"

Smile Weight Loss and Hair Cuts

Time for a light hearted post!

I am down just about 30 pounds and am thinking about a new hair cut. It is funny as soon as I started dropping sizes I suddenly have this urge to cut my hair. I have noticed a few others that got new hair cuts after they lost weight. What is it about dropping weight that makes you want a new hair style? Any thoughts?
murleya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 267/230.5/161

Height: 5"8

Hi,
from what I see from your photo on your profile, you have great hair! Don't cut!

I'm just gonna do a minor trims on mine (its just past my shoulders) then when I get to goal, my treat is to style my hair!
Besides, I want to throw my long locks over my shoulder and be all "sexy like" when I'm slimmer!

That's my 2 cents worth!

Last edited by SLIMplicity; 08-02-2011 at 01:52 PM.
SLIMplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

I love your hair also! I am growing mine out but do need some layers or something fun because it is boring, heavy and straight right now.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #4  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

for me, atleast, i think theres something about "hiding behind" all your hair when youre heavier... also, when i was heavier, i thought my face was too fat and that i could never pull of short hair.... the irony is, that i had no idea what to do with my long hair, and it always ended up looking like crap...which made me look even frumpier

Chooping it off was the GREATEST thing !! i will NEVER go back to long hair. i absolutely love the cut i have now (have had it for about a year) and intend to keep the style for a LONG TIME.. its my perfect haircut. i get SO MANY COMPLIMENTS on it! From everyone.... ive even had strangers stop me in the street and ask to take a picture of it so they could show their stylist.....

its basically a SEVER A-Line... with just about chin lengthin the front, going shorter and shorter to the back, where i actually have it shaved, starting at my nape and then getting a little longer till it bobs at the top... maybe i can download a picture....

ANyway, i also think cutting ones hair after weight loss, not only reflects thier new-found confidence, but also is a way to complete the "transformation"
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #5  
Me (middle) & Sistas

S/C/G: 141.8/138.4/117

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by murleya1 View Post

I am down just about 30 pounds and am thinking about a new hair cut. It is funny as soon as I started dropping sizes I suddenly have this urge to cut my hair. I have noticed a few others that got new hair cuts after they lost weight. What is it about dropping weight that makes you want a new hair style? Any thoughts?

I think as we shed weight and become more confident, and maybe feel a little more sexy, we want a haircut that matches our insides. No more hiding behind hair, etc. We're changing, so it feels good to make a change. I know my face thinned as I lost weight before and my style didn't suit me.
Celticgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #6  
Quin

S/C/G: 262/225

Height: 5 feet 4 inches

LOL, I totally agree. I'm at 29 pounds and thought it was time to color my hair. I'm not willing to cut mine, I've done that before. I think it's a feeling of wanting change.
quinicatorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #7  
IP Reboot 4/08/17

S/C/G: 258/169/145

Height: 5'7

i always saw it a slightly different way. i imagined that losing a bunch of weight would make me look like a totally different person. i wanted to be that person where the changes were so drastic that even good friends of mine wouldn't recognize me at first glance. that is where the haircut idea fit in for me. i have very long hair and i often flirt with the idea of cutting it off, so that combined with my weight loss would make me look totally different, well, in my mind at least.

Last edited by longdivision; 08-02-2011 at 02:22 PM.
longdivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/210/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by murleya1 View Post

LOL I did this too...When I lost 20 lbs I chopped all my hair off.
wheekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 243.6/196.4/165

Wow great analysis of what is going on. I think it is a little of what everyone is saying. I think it would complete a total change in me, I also can see the confidence boost. I love my hair but would not change it because It was like a great feature that hid my chunkiness. Without the fat I feel more beautiful and think I can risk a bad cut.
murleya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #10  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Talking

I also cut my hair, at my half way mini goal... I had a hard time coming up with not too expensive rewards... I have cut my hair short before I just don't like spending money on my hair when my dogs need things, but this time I did it for me. I got a nice bob which is a nice wash and wear hair do as I have naturally curly hair when it is shorter... I love my new hair cut and it makes my neck look SO long... never thought that before... I am thinking to dye and highlight my hair for my 3/4 mini goal... we will see.... I think once you feel better about yourself you do want to do things to look better. I also wanted the same as Longdivision for people to not recognize me... and it has worked...
2RIDEROLLERCOAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #11  
aka CAT

S/C/G: 212.4/204.6/170

Height: 5'-10"

I totally understand the need to look different. I have naturally curly hair and have always, always wanted to have long beauty curls. At 50 years of age, I think I'm finally realizing it just ain't gonna happen. I get compliments on my shoulder length hair all the time. I find myself looking at them and thinking.....SERIOUSLY??? I still look the same as I did in high school. Sometimes that feels like a good thing, other times...not so much. I have known for years that the longer hair "hid" my pudgy face. I have a hair appointment on Friday......seriously considering chopping it ALL off! After all....it will grow back.

Do what make you feel good about yourself.......
gettinmygrooveback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #12  
Maintenance since 8/2/10

S/C/G: 173/130/130

Height: 4'11"

When I hit halfway, I got a Keratin treatment to eliminate my frizzies and speed up my drying time. I love love love it!

I think something sassy (layers or highlights) would be fun!
cajunladybug22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #13  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunladybug22 View Post
When I hit halfway, I got a Keratin treatment to eliminate my frizzies and speed up my drying time. I love love love it!

I had been thinking about getting this done when I hit goal, but honestly I just can't wait anymore. My hair has become so poofy/unmanageable that I've just been wearing it in a ponytail, and even then it's a bit difficult. I found a highly rated salon close by that does the Brazilian Blowout treatment and am likely going to schedule an appointment sometime this week. I'd love to be able to wear my hair down without spending an hour trying to de-poof it with my straight iron in front of the mirror! Super excited about this.
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/210/165

Height: 5'11"

I used to have really short hair and loved it. Grew it out because I thought my face looked too fat. Of course, like someone else mentioned, it just hangs there! But I've kept it at a medium length for a long time. I have decided to grow it out until I am done with diet. I haven't had truly long hair since high school. I agree that weight loss is a time for change. Mine will be longer hair instead of in between and frumpy. Then I'll see how I feel about it.
pselias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #15  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I agree with others that what suits you at a higher weight might not work as well as your face thins out. For me I look a lot better with shorter hair when I'm overweight and longer hair when I'm thin so I'm growing out my hair now! I really love having it longer once again. Oh, and I dyed it red (not too different from my natural color but mostly to hide the gray) but I really love the new color!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote