20 pounds (or less) to lose??

You're on Page 21 of 26
Go to
  • Quote: There's a big difference between giving into a craving every little while and having a bowl of pasta everyday. If I want a bowl of pasta once a month in not going to shame myself. I'll have what i want and make sure I'm a good girl the rest of the week. Everything in moderation .
    What happens in maintenance is if you want that big bowl of pasta, then plan for it on your 'Funday" but just realize that your new healthy eating lifestyle doesn't have room for 'giving in to a craving' all that often, and with most people that is what has happened over the years and how they got to the weight they are at. This is not about shaming, this is about choosing the best way to nurture your body and show it love. Believe it or not - 'everything' in moderation is not always healthy for some. It can set a person up for more cravings for quick carbs and can be a slippery slope. Some on maintenance can never have that donut or big bowl of pasta - it just leads to more. That's not everyone of course, but it IS true of some. Check out the maintenance boards for more experiences from those who are keeping it off after IP.
    You will do fine Arwa4u! Stress can sometimes get the best of us, maybe try something that is not food related to soothe your feelings, listen to good music you like, take a bubble bath, do your nails, lol.
    Liana
  • Hi there - this is a great thread and I hope you all don't mind if I chime in. I started IP in May 2013 and lost about 60 lbs by Christmas. I then was a little less than 100% OP and pretty much stalled, and phased off in March with a 67 pound loss, at my goal of 155. I fit into a size 4 in many clothes, and a size 6 in everything else, far better than I ever dreamed possible.

Through April and May, I had extensive personal and business travel, all of the entertaining kind with tons of food and drink. I did my best to make the best choices, and went back to Phase 1 after each trip. I'm happy to report that although my weight fluctuated for 2 months, each time I returned right back to my goal of 155.

I'm happy there, but I do still have a bit of a pouch, some jiggle in my thighs and my butt. I know some of that will require toning through exercise but I decided to see if I could lose another 10 lbs first. So, I've just gone back onto P1 for 30 days. I started 6 days ago, after some travel when I was up to 156, and today I'm at 151. I would really love to see the 140's. I'm encouraged that the weight is coming off - it seems the break on Phase 3/4 did me some good, allowed my body to settle into its lower weight and it seems ready to cooperate with some more fat loss now.

6 pounds to go!!!!
  • wow.. hangdog you are amazing. From you post it's encouraging to see that even if there are fluctuations we can get back in track.
    Especially the way you are taking charge. Nothing can get in your way :-)
  • Quote: wow.. hangdog you are amazing. From you post it's encouraging to see that even if there are fluctuations we can get back in track.
    Especially the way you are taking charge. Nothing can get in your way :-)
    I don't want to make it sound like I went hog wild…. I still made good choices where I could. For example, for breakfast, I would have an egg white omelet with some fruit and yogurt. Stayed away from the danish, bagels and croissants.

On our cruise, however, they had a daily sushi bar which I went to freely. I generally passed on dessert and chose a vodka and soda with a splash of cranberry over my usual glass of wine or vodka and and cranberry.

Each time I came back, I was up anywhere from 2 - 9 pounds (9 after the cruise) and I would do a couple of P1 days followed by strict phase 3 until I came back down to goal. The longest it took was 5 days, but I was usually back within 2. Many times, I left on another trip the day I got back to goal so I just kept repeating the cycle.

I never, never want to go back to my old weight, or even close to it. I honestly wasn't sure how I would keep the weight off, but I see there is a method, all I have to do is follow it. I will admit what scares me is the thought of it's "easy" to drop the weight quickly, so as to allow myself to balloon by a wider margin. I'm keenly aware of this risk and think I can fight the temptation should it arise. Because I know there is a big difference between putting on 4 or 5 pounds over vacation and packing on 10 or 20 pounds of fat. The vacation pounds can come off easily. The others take more time, as we all know.

I tell people IP is the easiest and hardest thing I've ever done. Hardest only from the standpoint that you have to have the will to follow the plan. Easiest because once you do, the plan just works for you. There's nothing else you need to do.
  • Its time!
    So im 152lbs now and its time for me to really get this show on the road, i was 120lbs before i got pregnant and i dont have to get back to that weight but i need to loose that bit of weight and mainly get into shape! My goal is 125-130, i had my son in october, 8 months ago! Its time and ill work out for acouple days and then ill loose it and stop for 2 weeks, im having a hard time to keep goin! Thats why i joined! I need that motivation! I find im getting very light headed when i work out! Because i havent done anything for a year whicle being pregnant! Hopefully some of you can help me out, some quick healty meals i can do while spending time with my 8month old, some energy booster solutions! I joined bootcamp but havent gone to a class yet, i talked to my sis, we should go tuesday! Thanks everyone!
  • Nina, what phase are you on? If you are in the first 2 weeks of IP phase 1 , we should take it easy on workouts and even during the rest of Phase 1 we shouldn't be too hard with workouts as our body is already under stress with little food.
  • Quote: So im 152lbs now and its time for me to really get this show on the road, i was 120lbs before i got pregnant and i dont have to get back to that weight but i need to loose that bit of weight and mainly get into shape! My goal is 125-130, i had my son in october, 8 months ago! Its time and ill work out for acouple days and then ill loose it and stop for 2 weeks, im having a hard time to keep goin! Thats why i joined! I need that motivation! I find im getting very light headed when i work out! Because i havent done anything for a year whicle being pregnant! Hopefully some of you can help me out, some quick healty meals i can do while spending time with my 8month old, some energy booster solutions! I joined bootcamp but havent gone to a class yet, i talked to my sis, we should go tuesday! Thanks everyone!
    You need to do less taxing workouts - you are stalling your weight loss as your body needs to find its energy from other sources. Do brisk walks, or easy jogs if you are used to running, light lifting of weights is OK too. But Boot camp is a nono. You may need an extra packet of protein if you are exercising. Remember fat loss is 80% in the kitchen and 20% in the workouts. Workouts are very important in maintenance of your weight and general health, but right now you need to concentrate on the fat loss. Make sure you get all your water, salt(!), supplements and oil in. It will come off, but your body is busy doing a lot of work just changing composition right now. Don't stress it more than you need to. Exercise causes glycogen to be stored in our muscles again and also increases our water weight while rebuilding muscle tissue.

Check out some of the What are you Eating today IPeeps? and recipe threads at the beginning of each 'Daily Chat'. That will help with meal planning.

Liana
  • What is this IP thing? Im not on anything! Excercise and eating healthy is the way im going this time! Ive tried many diets out there! Its just self determination and willpower that weneed, thanks for helpful tipa canadjineh
  • Quote: What is this IP thing? Im not on anything! Excercise and eating healthy is the way im going this time! Ive tried many diets out there! Its just self determination and willpower that weneed, thanks for helpful tipa canadjineh
    Nina - this is the forum for people who are following the Ideal Protein diet. Many of us have tried many different diets and found this one works when other diets don't.

Best of luck to you!
  • Bumping this thread up again....

Hope everyone is getting closer to their goals. One thing that I have to keep reminding myself is that the weight will be coming off slower the less I have to lose. Not sure how long it's going to take to knock off this last 12 lbs...but I sure am ready to have them gone!

My NSV is that I am realized that I can fit into some size 10 pants. Doesn't sound like a big deal because I am quite short - but this girl's got hips and butt - so a 10 is what I was hoping for at my goal weight!

I do see how much I need to tone up though....what are you all doing or planning to do to help tone?
  • Thanks evenmomma for asking that question. I am curious about toning too.
    I am 2 pounds to goal and phased off to Phase 2 , 2 days ago as I was feeling weak and tired.
    I am 5'5 and I want to be at 140 lbs. I want to lose 5 more pounds but I want to do it after I start regular food as a personal goal.
  • Quote: Thanks evenmomma for asking that question. I am curious about toning too.
    I am 2 pounds to goal and phased off to Phase 2 , 2 days ago as I was feeling weak and tired.
    I am 5'5 and I want to be at 140 lbs. I want to lose 5 more pounds but I want to do it after I start regular food as a personal goal.
    Hooray for almost goal! I think you won't be nearly so tired with p2 since it's double the "real" protein. I already split my protein up...so not sure how i'm going to do 16 oz instead of 8! Will have to have an omelet for breakfast I guess.

I've done Pilates in the past with good success...so I may start that on my own. But I think i'm going to need to do some lifting also. I have never done yoga but am interested in it also. Also felt the urge to swim with watching my kids at seim lessons this summer. It's finding that ME time that is going to be hard!
  • Quote: Bumping this thread up again....

Hope everyone is getting closer to their goals. One thing that I have to keep reminding myself is that the weight will be coming off slower the less I have to lose. Not sure how long it's going to take to knock off this last 12 lbs...but I sure am ready to have them gone!

My NSV is that I am realized that I can fit into some size 10 pants. Doesn't sound like a big deal because I am quite short - but this girl's got hips and butt - so a 10 is what I was hoping for at my goal weight!

I do see how much I need to tone up though....what are you all doing or planning to do to help tone?
    I am like you and am so ready to have this weight off but it is coming off so slowly! I only lost .6 this week...I am 7lbs away from my goal that the dr advised me to be but my personal goal is 125 but i am really doubting i will get there! I plan on exercising again after I am able to to help firm things up! I wish I loved it but I don't...maybe in time! LOL!
  • Quote: I am like you and am so ready to have this weight off but it is coming off so slowly! I only lost .6 this week...I am 7lbs away from my goal that the dr advised me to be but my personal goal is 125 but i am really doubting i will get there! I plan on exercising again after I am able to to help firm things up! I wish I loved it but I don't...maybe in time! LOL!
    I'm aiming for 125, but I'm shorter than you at 5'0''. I will be in a normal BMI at 125. If later in the other phases I go below that - great. But that's good enough for getting me out of Phase 1. I was hoping to get there by July 31, but things are slowing down and it may take me a bit longer.

1 to 0.5 pound per week is really not that slow once you are creeping to a normal BMI. For example, I now weigh 133, a 1 pound loss equals 1.33% of my total body weight. Half a pound is 0.67% of my total body weight. That's a great percentage for a one week loss. Just something to keep in mind.

I'm giving myself a year after phasing off to maintain and tone. After that I will reassess my goal to see about what to do about any excess skin or sagginess.
  • I just stared back on IP June 23d. I am down6 lbs as of today. I am using alternatives. I am wanting to get rid of the 20 lbs I put on a couple winters ago when I went off IP. Funny how the weight sneaks back on when you aren't looking.......