Slightly Awkward Question...

• Hi everyone,

I started IP about 2 weeks ago and things have been going great, I think! The first couple days I experienced minor headaches but I did the salt-water trick and it worked.

I was just curious if this diet can have more side effects other than the ones they tell you about in the information they give you? Here's where it gets slightly awkward...

I suddenly got my period about half way through my cycle-I'm not due to get it for another couple weeks. I have a tendency to be irregular but my doctor prescribed birth control and since then I've been regular. I did call my doctor and talked to an RN and she didn't seem concerned nor did she think the diet was a bad idea for me. I was just curious if this had happened to anyone else?

Thanks everyone!!!!
  • Yep...IP can play havoc on your cycle/hormones etc! Do not trust Just birth control to cover you against pregnancies, because, your hormones will get a little mixed up on IP.
    There are a few IP baby mommas on here!

Good luck with your losses. It's annoying for sure, but worth it..IMO!
  • You can expect to experience some irregularity whether it be TOM occurring in the middle of the cycle or twice in one...or an extra long long TOM. It is caused by the secretion of the estrogen that is stored in the fat cells your body is starting to burn. From my understanding it will eventually go back to normal but it's nothing to be worried about.
  • On this topic, does anyone what causes the opposite problem?
    First time TOM came while on this program it was lighter and shorter (I was just 2 weeks into it). This month, it hasn't come yet (so I'm late, not pregnant). All my coach had to say about it is that "it happens", but could not give me an explanation.

So if the secretion of estrogen from fat cells cause you to get the period.. what causes it to cease? Anybody has any idea?

I'm not really worried about it, I'm just curious, and I haven't been able to find a more concrete answer to this
  • Quote: On this topic, does anyone what causes the opposite problem?
    First time TOM came while on this program it was lighter and shorter (I was just 2 weeks into it). This month, it hasn't come yet (so I'm late, not pregnant). All my coach had to say about it is that "it happens", but could not give me an explanation.

So if the secretion of estrogen from fat cells cause you to get the period.. what causes it to cease? Anybody has any idea?

I'm not really worried about it, I'm just curious, and I haven't been able to find a more concrete answer to this
    oh I would be so happy if it ceased all together. I know your not complaining just curious, but I seem to have it more often than care to admit, being premeno.....but I have noticed that the insomnia has left the room. Very happy about that one. 21 yrs of insomnia it's almost like losing a good friend that used to say bad things about you. bye bye insomnia
  • Ok-- not on IP-- the estrogen theory is bogus (IMHO)

whats happening (ESPECIALLY ON LOW CARB DIETS, and LOW CALORIE DIETS) is that your body adapts, metabolically. Think of your period as an added "vital" sign to your health... when it starts getting weird (either early, late, light, whatever) take that as a serious indication that your body is severly stressed.... stresssed enough to know it is NOT getting enough nutrients to support your own life, let only support ANOTHER human life inside. I lost my period on a low carb/low cal diet...... for 2 years..... the doctors wrote me off (everyone from endocrinologist, to OB/GYN, to psychiatrist.. we tried everything... even had an MRI beccause the endo thought i had a pituitary tumor, do to NON EXISTENT estrogen levels in my body (regulated by the pititary gland). Inducing didnt work. Eating and taking a break from trainnig didnt work.. by medical definition i was in menopause... at 30 years old....

Now, this severity wont happen to everyone, but dont brush it off either... its "normal" for a female to experience menstral disturbances when dieting down hard, especially when combined with aggressive training... if your period stops altogether, then you NEED TO TAKE A DIET BREAK.... even if that means gaining back a few of the precious pounds you lost....
  • I love IP I have been on it for six weeks and have totally experienced the issues with TOM. I had mine for three weeks...and it came two weeks early. As we burn fat we release estrogen and other ickyness that is stored inside those fat "globs" as I call them. I spoke to my doctor and an endocrinologist and they have all confirmed these findings. The post above is completely right though in that an absence of a period is not something to take lightly...
  • Thanks for all the help everyone! I feel a lot better about having my TOM when it's not supposed to be my TOM---still annoyed, haha!!