Old 07-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #1  
started on June 14

S/C/G: 185/ticker/120

Height: 5.2 1/2

Unhappy 100 OP, Probably in Ketosis, but plagued by Fatigue

Hi, folks.
I am wondering if there are other people who feel drained and sleepy all the time--just the way I have felt last several days. Last week I lost 4.8 pounds (I have been 100% OP for nine days), which seems to suggest that I am in ketosis.

Last weekend, I had a tad bit heavier cycle. Other than that, I cannot find any other reason that may explain my symptom. I fall asleep in the middle of something and my eyelids feel heavier than lead. Walking half a mile is exhausting. Last night, DH filmed me sleeping on our living room floor. The last thing I remember is watching a documentary (King Corn) with him SITTING on our couch. What is happening to me??

I take the three supplements and, additionally, iodine supplement.
texan kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/170/140

Height: 5'5"

I slept constantly for about a week early in the program.
Someone told me that, often, hormonal changes and adjustments cause fatigue, especially in women. That really makes sense with this diet, especially if you just got off your cycle.
I also made sure I was taking all my vitamins, veggies, and water, and added vitamin C.
Your body is hopefully just adjusting. I would ask your coach or doctor if it goes on much longer though, just to be safe...
Also I know that Ginseng is good for boosting energy. Maybe you could try a tea or something?
Princess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I am well into my 4th week and I am still totally exhausted, almost feel depressed. I asked about it on another thread the other day, but didn't get any response. I just want to know if some people are tired after the first week or so. I am on program, not one cheat and taking supplements. I am wondering, because I take Synthroid, if it has some kind of effect on my thyroid.

I would appreciate any input from the "experienced IPers"
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #4  
I know I can

I felt the same way but I don't any longer. I am going on my 9th week.
I think I would have another protein packet, a pudding maybe, made as a drink with lots of water and ice. Something to stretch it out. Maybe add a flavoring as well. I don't think you should be as tired after a week or 10 days.
Watkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 153.8/142.6/135ish

Height: 5'7

Bella - I, too, take thyroid meds. Not sure if its related, but I read somewhere on here that you should not take the Potassium Calcium supplement within 4 hours of your thyroid meds. Perhaps that is something.

I feel somewhat emotional on this diet more recently. First week was great. Second week ok. Third week, not so good. mostly related to my sense of self as I have been slipping off protocol then the emotional response I am having seems more "severe" than it otherwise might.

Perhaps its time to get some light exercise - get some movement / endorphines / blood pumping?

Or maybe try an extra packet? Maybe its not enough for you to feel well and you need more protein?

Last edited by coliep; 07-27-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Just to say I am not experienced, just thinkign through posts I have read....
coliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I am not fatigued, but I certainly haven't felt this big rush of energy either. The first month or so was pretty rough for me as far as energy levels go. They have definitely gotten better, but I am not all crazy energy either.

On the cycle stuff. IP definitely messes with our hormones. I know that the first 3 weeks I had some breakthrough bleeding and I am on BC. Also, be aware of the amount of soy products you are eating. Soy definitely messes with estrogen. If you are eating the ridges, soy puffs, soy patty etc... try cutting them out and see if it helps.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #7  
started on June 14

S/C/G: 185/ticker/120

Height: 5.2 1/2

Regarding hormonal changes, I have to agree with Princess Jessica. I had such a weird experience on the day before the first day of my last cycle. I was so cold to my bones, had to put on my winter bath gown on top of my homedress, couldn't fend myself from shivering, went out to face the 105 F Texan sun for some time, and finally took a nap with my bath gown on. Can you believe that? My hormones must be going through mutiny. At any rate, I will be watchful to my mood swings and energy levels as my estrogen level deceases over this week.

Coliep:
I hope you get the hang of this diet sooner than later. I really understand what you mean--this diet has been a very emotional journey. Hormonal changes are one thing; going against our evolutionary psychology is another totally different battle. You wouldn't believe how tempting a yellow banana has been to me these past days. It felt like a bite of that ripe banana would instantly revive me! I did not give in to the impluse (instinct) though.

I get to think that we humans learn the lifelong survival tip that sweetness is safe, healthy, and satisfying from drinking our mothers' breastmilk. To some people, the sweet fat in peanut butter may mean the safe, healthy satisfaction they derived from childhood memories. But we are intently depriving ourselves of that calming, satisfying--nonetheless, fattening--sweetness!! It is definitely an emotional, psychological unlearning that we are going through. It is very hard but looking forward to a healthier tomorrow, I CAN DO IT. And I think you can do it.

One thing is for sure: As soon as my energy level becomes normal, I will make myself very busy. I don't want to think too much about the diet lest it consume me.
texan kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 153.8/142.6/135ish

Height: 5'7

I have absolutely had those "cold" moments . . . and I am never cold! I have also been bleeding (lightly) for a month now. it preceded the IP by about 10 days or so, so there is just a lot going on with my body anyway (mirena, weaned the baby, stopped training for a half marathon) . . .

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I think I need to tell myself it is OK that I made mistakes. Yes, more than one. Yes, even after I said I wouldn't cave. And that I can pick myself up, dust myself off, and move forward.

I totally agree not to think too much about it. The times I have caved have been when nobody was around and I had nothing to do but think about how much I wanted something. When I am busy (or sleeping), I don't mess up!
coliep is offline   Reply With Quote