3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Red Meat... vs Chicken and Fish

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
IP start: July 3 2011
 
Skurzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 34

S/C/G: 133/120/110-115

Height: 5'2

Default Red Meat... vs Chicken and Fish

Hi Everyone,

Had a quick question... I just browsed through dr.tiens pdf, and read somewhere that his diet is based on eating white fish and skinless chicken for protein.. and of course our sheets have almost every type of meat you can think of. It obviously works for any meat, but I was wondering if anyone has ever just stuck with Chicken and White Fish, and if the results would be better and faster? I crashed hard on tuesday/wednesday, so i pleadged to be completely OP for a whole week and figured maybe it would be best to stick with chickenn and fish.

any thoughts???

thanks!
Skurzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Freedom from Food
 
Purrfect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 243

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Default

Although I can't say for sure, I don't honestly think it would make alot of difference. There is more saturated fat in most red meats, but i find that variety is the real key to staying OP. Your long term results are tied to staying OP...you'll stay in ketosis eating any meat protein.

Any other thoughts? I do not have enough experience measuring loss with or without, but if it's steady that's good enough.
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
IP start: July 3 2011
 
Skurzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 34

S/C/G: 133/120/110-115

Height: 5'2

Default

thanks.. I agree..theres nothing like a good steak.. it keeps me saine on this diet.. im a savory girl..

but this week im going to try it, and let you all know how it goes for my results... having skinless chicken breast tonight, with turnip chips and cauliflour rice!...
Skurzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
JoseyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 233

S/C/G: 172/163/145

Height: 5'6.5"

Default

What about boneless lean pork chops?> I have to try the turnip fries, are they sweet? what do you season them with?
JoseyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Maintenance 12/01/11
 
jennydoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 985

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2"

Default

I'm a carnivor and having a lean steak keeps me sane as well. I do mix it up with chicken here and there, but I definitely prefer red meat. As to whether or not it affects my losses, I can't say, but I do eat majority red meat and I have lost weight every week.
__________________
Started maintenance on 12/01/11
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
JoseyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 233

S/C/G: 172/163/145

Height: 5'6.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydoodle View Post
I'm a carnivor and having a lean steak keeps me sane as well. I do mix it up with chicken here and there, but I definitely prefer red meat. As to whether or not it affects my losses, I can't say, but I do eat majority red meat and I have lost weight every week.
jenny, what kind of beef do you tend to eat? I had a 6oz 80/20 burger, I probably should have gotten leaner.....
JoseyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Maintenance 12/01/11
 
jennydoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 985

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2"

Default

I have been getting this brand called "Laura's Lean Beef". I actually get it in Target. All of the steaks and ground beef are extra lean, more like a 95/5 ratio. They are also hormone free and grass fed, which is very important to me when it comes to beef. Maverick is also another great brand of lean beef that is hormone free and grass fed. I tend to stay away from the "store" brand meat, as it is usually not as lean or delicious tasting. I also, on occasion, buy meat from whole foods, and try to stick to "extra lean".
__________________
Started maintenance on 12/01/11
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 575

S/C/G: 153.8/142.6/135ish

Height: 5'7

Default

I am the opposite of most posters and intentionally bought red meat today because all I ever have is chicken/ turkey / fish / seafood. I am not a fan of any chunk of red meat (i.e. steak, chops, etc), but can handle it ground. I bought 93/7 ground beef and made the "taco salad" with it.

While I have no idea, I think that having red meat only 2x a week is probably a good rule. Keep in mind you are also trying to adopt permanent life habits so, personally, I think getting used to lean fish / chicken / turkey etc. for the majority of meals is probably the best idea for overall health since larger amounts of red meat = more saturated fat = more cholesterol, etc.

That said, I agree that this diet is restrictive enough early on so I would pick the leanest version of whichever type of meat you choose and also choose a variety throughout the week. You don't want to be deprived either!
Everything in moderation, right?!?!
coliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
Maintenance 12/01/11
 
jennydoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 985

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2"

Default

Over the years I have eaten so much chicken and turkey that I could have easily turned into one. It was all I used to eat. Once I get into maintainance, I will most likely have more balance in the meat department, but during Phase 1, it certainly helps to have a little something nice! And clearly eating only chicken and turkey did nothing for my weight, or I wouldn't be in IP
__________________
Started maintenance on 12/01/11
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
Member
 
Lone Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 95

S/C/G: IP160/131/130

Height: 5'3"

Default

We mix it up -- we eat fish, chicken and beef -- I "thought" fish would be better during a stall, but I don't know. We keep losing weight -- so . . . for us, it doesn't seem to matter. Just sticking to the protocol is best. We are also eating 8 oz. of meat -- no matter what kind. Believe me, eating 8 oz. of meat was very difficult at first (for me, not my husband as he is in carnivor heaven) -- but I keep losing. It is amazing what your body can do when it does not have to sort through processed food and decide what to do with it -- at least . . . that is what I am going with.
__________________
Started (again) 5-2-14
Lone Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
JOLINA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 595

Default

If I stick to chicken and fish, I start to feel weak after a couple of weeks. I need to eat red meat also.

I buy my beef at a slaughterhouse. I get a wholesale price.
They supply restaurants and sell Angus beef....Great tasting.
The fat content is 12-15%
I eat about 4-6 ounces a day of meat. But it varies. Seafood, chicken, pork, beef, duck, turkey.
__________________
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
JoseyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 233

S/C/G: 172/163/145

Height: 5'6.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydoodle View Post
I have been getting this brand called "Laura's Lean Beef". I actually get it in Target. All of the steaks and ground beef are extra lean, more like a 95/5 ratio. They are also hormone free and grass fed, which is very important to me when it comes to beef. Maverick is also another great brand of lean beef that is hormone free and grass fed. I tend to stay away from the "store" brand meat, as it is usually not as lean or delicious tasting. I also, on occasion, buy meat from whole foods, and try to stick to "extra lean".
Thanks Jenny, I don't have a target here, but do have a whole foods semi- close (Leesburg) I could drive over to...preportioned is always good too.....
JoseyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
JoseyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 233

S/C/G: 172/163/145

Height: 5'6.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliep View Post
I am the opposite of most posters and intentionally bought red meat today because all I ever have is chicken/ turkey / fish / seafood. I am not a fan of any chunk of red meat (i.e. steak, chops, etc), but can handle it ground. I bought 93/7 ground beef and made the "taco salad" with it.

While I have no idea, I think that having red meat only 2x a week is probably a good rule. Keep in mind you are also trying to adopt permanent life habits so, personally, I think getting used to lean fish / chicken / turkey etc. for the majority of meals is probably the best idea for overall health since larger amounts of red meat = more saturated fat = more cholesterol, etc.

That said, I agree that this diet is restrictive enough early on so I would pick the leanest version of whichever type of meat you choose and also choose a variety throughout the week. You don't want to be deprived either!
Everything in moderation, right?!?!
I guess, I just need some better ways to prepare the chicken where it is moist, not dry, that is what kills me. I do LOVE rotiserre chicken or when I make my own backed whole chicken. Imaging living in Florida, on the coast and NOT liking seafood, seems like a waste, right..... hahahahahahaa. Dad caught red fish yesterday...YUCK! talk about strong fish AND it is scallop season, we go out and get our own, and I don;t eat them!!!
JoseyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
leganegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 441

S/C/G: 165/136/135

Height: 5'5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyM View Post
Thanks Jenny, I don't have a target here, but do have a whole foods semi- close (Leesburg) I could drive over to...preportioned is always good too.....
Aw, Leesburg, How close are you too Astor? My grandparent's home is on the St. John's off highway 40 there. We try and get up there often to take care of the house and run the boat. We are trying to sell it cause they passed away and although my father loves it there, I think it is hard being there without his parents, not the same. I am in Tampa.
__________________




“In order to change we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired.”

“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”

"Don't sacrifice your future for a momentary pleasure"

“Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.”

Got to get the Broccoli Boys back (one for each 5lbs!):
leganegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
ItsAboutTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,530

Height: 5'4"

Default

I'm the one who was wondering that the other night. I weighed in Thursday and was dying for a big mac in a bowl Wed night. I ate beef that night and the next because we had the kids' bible school program and the rest of the family ate what they were serving. From Wed to Thurs I had a loss of .2 from Thurs to Fri I stayed the same. Last night we had pork chops and this morning I was down a pound. Not sure if it is coincidence but I'm going to limit beef to I love chicken and pork so I can do it. I've also always been a chicken eater but I don't blame it for why I'm here. It was more the things I put WITH the chicken that got me here.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Money difference in Atkins vs. Calorie counting Linsy Atkins 24 03-04-2011 06:52 AM
MEAT vs. CARROTS EZMONEY General chatter 69 11-05-2009 08:17 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:54 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2