Old 07-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

Default Delicious salad dressing!

I have made this salad dressing before and it's awesome. I love vinaigrettes and this tastes like one you would get at a restaurant. Substitute apple cider or white vinegar for the red, and regular mustard for the dijon. I like adding lemon juice and more vinegar, some red pepper flakes.

This will make enough to fit into a bottle.

3/4 cup olive oil
1 cup vinegar
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp basil
1.5 tsp pepper
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp onion powder
1.5 tsp dijon mustard
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #2  
First Day IP 31 May 2012

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'4"

Sounds yummy, but it seems like a lot of oil. Only a bare drizzle of this stuff would give you your 1 tsp.
GrandmaKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/180.5/130

Height: 5'6"

Sounds yummy I will have to try it. Thanks.
TheRainFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaKiss View Post
Sounds yummy, but it seems like a lot of oil. Only a bare drizzle of this stuff would give you your 1 tsp.
About 2.5 tsp of dressing would contain 1 tsp of oil.

If you use a very mild vinegar, you can usually increase the vinegar in any dressing recipe at least two fold. Sometimes you can even triple or quadruple the vinegar (or you can reduce or omit the oil)

The two vinegars I've had the most success with in terms of increasing the proportion of vinegar to oil (or even omitting the oil entirely) have been rice or rice wine vinegar, and champagne vinegar (the champagne vinegar tends to be more expensive, and harder to find).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

Yeah, I usually add more vinegar, lemon juice, and water to my salad dressings because the oil is too much. I've made this in a good seasonings bottle and it lasts a while and tastes great. It's a good blend of seasonings, similar to a dressing you would find at a restaurant, or a "greek" dressing.
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Before I discovered rice wine vinegar, I HATED diluting dressings. Anything less than half-oil tasted WAY too tart to me (and even then was only edible to me if it contained a lot of sweetener).

Rice wine vinegar though is so mild that I really do consider the oil entirely optional in many dressings made with it - and plain or seasoned rice wine vinegar straight from the bottle doesn't even make a bad dressing.

I usually buy the Marukan or Kikkoman brand, but sometimes I buy the more exotic rice wine vinegars from asian groceries (some are much better and some are about the same, and some are much harsher, but it's fun to try different vinegars).

I've learned to read the labels though, because vinegars with more than 5% acidity are too strong.

In theory, diluting stronger vinegars with water should work equally as well as using rice vinegar, but I've found that this doesn't always work.

For some reason, at least to me, the rice vinegar just has a better, milder flavor.

I like using citrus juice as a vinegar replacement (lemon, lime, prange and even grapefruit, pomello), but I usually stick with vinegars just because I have a little more trouble getting juice-based salad dressing flavors well-balanced. If I have time to fuss with it, or want to be creative, I'll take the time. Otherwise, I just reach for my favorite rice wine vinegar (I prefer unseasoned, because I want to add my seasonings and I don't want them to compete with those already in the vinegar).

Last edited by kaplods; 07-25-2012 at 02:28 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote