Old 07-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #1  

Default Help with pudding Cakes!

I tried making the pudding cakes tonight. I am getting bored and read so many positive comments. I am not hard to please, but mine were not good at all. I followed the recipe exactly as posted. The top layer was plastic like and the inside was sticky and had a weird consistency. What could I have done wrong? I even poured some WF chocolate on it, but they weren't edible.

Help!
BigHorn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #2  

It probably just needed to be baked for longer. I keep mine in for about 18-19 minutes
jordanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

Mine turn out a bit like a two bite brownie/ cookie when I bake them in a mini cupcake pan for about 11-12 min. Also make sure that you are folding in the pudding and not mixing it in. The difference just in case you don't know... folding- pull the liquid/batter from underneath the pudding powder and cover the powder with the liquid. Give the bowl a quarter turn and repeat. Continue until you can no longer see any powder then give another addition of powder (you should add the powder in four separate additions).
Mixing is when you dump in all the powder at once and stir it together with the egg whites mixture...
Hope this helps as I absolutely adore mine! Strawberry pudding with the vanilla is my favorite!
capricious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Are you using IP pudding? I have heard the the alternate pudding does not turn out as good as IP. Some flavors need more baking than others.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/see ticker/175

Height: 5' 5

I have found that the 'frothier' that I can make the egg whites, vanilla, etc before folding in the pudding the better they turn out... mine are much more of a cream puff pastry type thing as opposed to 'cake or muffins'. And yes, mine bake about 16 - 18 minutes in my convection oven. Keep trying - you'll get it the way you like it! ;0)
Lorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #6  

Thanks Everybody! You were all so helpful. JennyDoodle, I am using IP. BUT, I didn't "fold" and baked only 16 minutes.

Maybe I need to get a different pan? I used a mini muffin pan and made 7 small ones. So looking forward to trying it again seeing how EVERYBODY seems to love them.

Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 132.5/116.2/120

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHorn92 View Post
I tried making the pudding cakes tonight. I am getting bored and read so many positive comments. I am not hard to please, but mine were not good at all. I followed the recipe exactly as posted. The top layer was plastic like and the inside was sticky and had a weird consistency. What could I have done wrong? I even poured some WF chocolate on it, but they weren't edible.

Help!
Mine came out the exact same way that yours did. I thought I folded the mix in but maybe I wasn't gentle enough. I may give it another try tonight.

I read somewhere on this site that the egg whites aren't really "free" and was hesitant to make the muffins again because it's extra calories.
Susank2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #8  

Susan K, and Everybody else......

I tried again. I "folded", baked for about 20 minutes and they were a lot better. I also blended the egg white and vanilla concoction for about 20 seconds and it was a lot frothier than the first time.

Overall, a success!!!! I tried it with strawberry this time, but the consistency was definitely better. I think it had a lot ot do with thebaking time because I checked them at 15 minutes and they were like last n ight's

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!