Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #331  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

No potato salad

1 head cauliflower
2 stalks celery, diced
1 small onion, finely chopped (about 3-4 tablespoons)
1 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
2 eggs, hard boiled and diced
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil Vegenaise
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
Chop cauliflower into small florets (½ inch)
Steam cauliflower on the stove until fork-tender, not more or a stronger "cauliflower" smell develops
Allow cauliflower to cool then place in a large bowl
Add celery, onion, parsley and egg
Stir in Vegenaise, mustard and salt
Serve

Last edited by wuv2bloved; 04-04-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #332  
Started IP 3/11/2012

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/160?

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
No potato salad

1 head cauliflower
2 stalks celery, diced
1 small onion, finely chopped (about 3-4 tablespoons)
1 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
2 eggs, hard boiled and diced
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil Vegenaise
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
Chop cauliflower into small florets (½ inch)
Steam cauliflower on the stove until fork-tender, not more or a stronger "cauliflower" smell develops
Allow cauliflower to cool then place in a large bowl
Add celery, onion, parsley and egg
Stir in Vegenaise, mustard and salt
Serve
Wuv - this looks really good. Is this OK on Phase 1 or only later? I wasn't sure about the Vegenaise. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #333  

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2greatcats View Post
Wuv - this looks really good. Is this OK on Phase 1 or only later? I wasn't sure about the Vegenaise. Thanks!
Its good for Phase 1, I am not sure about the Vegenasie I would just use olive oil. I haven't tried this recipe but I do make one just on my own. I do want to try this one though
Old 04-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #334  

CAULIFLOWER 'SPANISH RICE'
Hands-on time: 25 minutes with occasional attention required throughout
Time to table: 1 hour
Makes 5 cups

1 head cauliflower, cut into florets

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
8 ounces canned tomatoes, chopped
Salsa to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

COOK THE CAULIFLOWER by steaming in a vegetable steamer or boiling in salted water, cooking to the 'al dente' stage where it's cooked through but not soft. Chop fine.

MEANWHILE in a large skillet, heat the olive oil on MEDIUM til shimmery. Add the onion and green pepper and cook, stirring often, until golden. Add the garlic and cook for a minute. Add the tomatoes and stir in. When the cauliflower is cooked, stir it in and continue to cook, breaking up the cauliflower and tomatoes with the edge of a spatula while stirring. After cooking awhile, stir in the salsa. Keep cooking, keep tasting, adding more salsa and salt and pepper as needed. The dish is 'done' when the liquid has cooked off, the salsa and seasoning are perfect, and the rest of supper is done too!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #335  

WHOLE ROASTED CAULIFLOWER with LEMON VINAIGRETTE
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Time to table: 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours
Serves about 6, depending on size of cauliflower

1 head cauliflower
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt

LEMON VINAIGRETTE
1 tablespoon olive oil
Juice of a lemon
Pepper to taste
1 tablespoon small capers

Preheat oven to 450F.

Wash the head of cauliflower under running water. Trim off the outer leaves. With a sharp knife, remove a cone-shaped piece from the core, keeping the head intact. With your fingers, rub a little olive oil into the bottom of an oven-safe baking dish, rub the remainder on all over the cauliflower, working the oil into the crevasses as best you can. Sprinkle with salt and place core-side down in the baking dish. Bake for 1 hour or 1-1/4 hours, until the exterior is brown and crusty and the center soft. If you like, transfer to a serving dish.

Meanwhile, whisk the vinaigrette ingredients. With a spoon, drizzle the vinaigrette over the top of the cauliflower, slowly to let it soak in as much as it will. Serve and savor ...
Old 04-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #336  

ROASTED ZUCCHINI with LEMON
Hands-on time: oops, notes aren't so good, maybe 10 minutes?
Time to table: 40 minutes
Serves 4

4 medium zucchini
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

1 lemon, sliced thin
1-2 packs of splenda

Place a large rimmed baking sheet or casserole dish (one -- or if need be two -- big enough for the zucchini to roast in a single layer, also, try covering it with foil to simplify clean-up) in the cold oven. Set the oven to 500F.

Slice off the stem and blossom ends from the zucchini, then slice on the diagonal, about 3/4 inch thick. Toss the zucchini with the lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper in a large bowl. When the oven is completely preheated, remove the hot baking sheet/casserole and arrange the zucchini in a single layer. Roast for 10 minutes.

While the zucchini roasts, use the same large bowl (no need to wash in between) to gently toss the lemon juice and splenda.

Remove the pan or pans, turn the zucchini over, then place the lemon slices alongside (or on top if need be). Roast for another 7 minutes or until the zucchini begin to caramelize along the edges
Old 04-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #337  

LOW-CARB FRIED TURNIPS
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Time to table: 60 minutes
Serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 pound turnips, trimmed, peeled, cut in 3/4-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt & pepper to taste

In a large skillet, heat the oil on MEDIUM HIGH until shimmery. Add the onion and stir to coat with fat. Cook for 4 - 5 minutes until onion begins to turn gold. Add the turnips and stir to coat with fat. Let cook for about 15 minutes, stirring often, reducing heat if needed to keep the turnips from burning. Add the cumin. Continue to cook for another 30 minutes or so (this long may not be needed but it worked for me) until the turnips are cooked through and beginning to caramelize. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #338  

LEMON SPINACH
Active time: Maybe 10 minutes? (mostly washing spinach leaves)
Time to table: Maybe 20 minutes?
Serves 2

1 pound fresh spinach
1 tablespoon olive oil
Grated zest of a lemon
Salt and pepper

Clean spinach well, drain but allow droplets to remain. Heat oil over medium heat in a large, deep skillet with a cover. Add spinach in a big heap. Cover and let cook 3 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until spinach wilts and water evaporates. Remove from heat. Add lemon zest. Season and serve.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #339  

S/C/G: 152/112/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Default Okra Recipes?

I have found this and the other recipe threads in the stickies to be life-savers. But one thing I haven't been able to find is a good IP appropriate recipe for okra. Now that okra is in season, I'd like to try it, but my southern family only knows how to fix it either breaded and fried or in a gumbo with lots of tomatoes, bacon fat and other non-IP ingredients. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #340  

S/C/G: 265/250/150

Height: 5.5

Default Combos

Mango Orange Sunrise- Pour half a bottle of the mango drink in shaker, add 2-3oz water, add half packet of orange drink and add 4-6oz water- depends on how thick/strong you like your drink- I like mine to equal b/t 12-16 oz. shake and enjoy!! I've tried the peach mango and orange but like the rtd mango orange combo better.
I also like taking half packets of broc cheese soup and potato puree soup - makes a nice thick soup.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #341  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

My new favorite recipe as it contains most of my lunch in an easy to pre-make and take with me package.

Veggie Wrap
Ingredients
1 packet IP Potato Puree
75 ml warm water
Misc veggies: spinach leaves, roasted zucchini slices, thin sliced cucumbers, julienned red peppers, julienned red onions, fresh herbs like basil leaves, parsley, etc. Adapt your favorite things.
Optional: WF mayo (chipotle or other)

Mix the potato packet with the water. Pour into a hot pan and quickly spread out as thin as possible. It should be a little thicker than a tortilla wrap. Flip after a couple minutes until brown on each side. Place onto a flat board or counter. Spread the mayo if using and arrange the veggies in an even layer across the wrap. Add salt or other seasonings if desired. Roll up the wrap.

Note: you can wrap it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge for the next day’s lunch.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #342  

S/C/G: 172/142/130

Height: 5' 4"

Exclamation Frying onions

I am on Phase I of IP. I see a lot of recipes where the onions are fried until golden brown, yet I am told that we can only eat onions raw as when they reach the caramelized state they turn into sugars.

Can anyone confirm what can or cannot be done with onions?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #343  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueNami68 View Post
I am on Phase I of IP. I see a lot of recipes where the onions are fried until golden brown, yet I am told that we can only eat onions raw as when they reach the caramelized state they turn into sugars.

Can anyone confirm what can or cannot be done with onions?
Hi SueNami68,

One Phase 1, we should not be frying anything, especially onions for exactly what you quoted about the nice sugary caramelized state onions can get into.

Too bad, they are so good like that. We can have them later on when we're finished losing.

Molly
Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #344  

S/C/G: See Ticker....getting there!

Height: 5'4"

I am in love with the potato puree! I'm still working out the kinks, but here is what I've had for lunch the past two days:

Veggie Croquette
-2 cups of veggies roughly chopped. I used mushrooms, broccoli, and cauliflower. I'm sure spinach, red peppers, whatever you like would be good as well.
-1 Packet of the Potato Puree
-Little bit of olive oil. It's my weakness, so I use a little less than a tblspoon. Probably don't need that much!

Directions:
Heat the oil in the pan and sautee the veggies. I like to wait until they all get a little brown.
While that's going, I mixe the Potato Puree with 3 oz of water and lots of spices. I use onion, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper. Anything you like would be good.
Once the veggies are cooked to your liking, push them in the middle of the pan and make a circle. Pour the potato mix over the veggies and cook it like a pancake. Flip it over and get both sides brown. The side will stay soft and yummy.

This is my new favorite! Playing around with the idea of making a couple smaller pancakes than one big one. Maybe take the veggies out of the pan, mix them in with the potato, and then return to pan in more real-like croquettes?

Let me know if anyone tries this and comes up with a good way!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #345  

S/C/G: See Ticker....getting there!

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
My new favorite recipe as it contains most of my lunch in an easy to pre-make and take with me package.

Veggie Wrap
Ingredients
1 packet IP Potato Puree
75 ml warm water
Misc veggies: spinach leaves, roasted zucchini slices, thin sliced cucumbers, julienned red peppers, julienned red onions, fresh herbs like basil leaves, parsley, etc. Adapt your favorite things.
Optional: WF mayo (chipotle or other)

Mix the potato packet with the water. Pour into a hot pan and quickly spread out as thin as possible. It should be a little thicker than a tortilla wrap. Flip after a couple minutes until brown on each side. Place onto a flat board or counter. Spread the mayo if using and arrange the veggies in an even layer across the wrap. Add salt or other seasonings if desired. Roll up the wrap.

Note: you can wrap it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge for the next day’s lunch.
Thank you SO much for the idea! I made this for lunch today and it was great! Just like eating a wrap in lavash bread!
Have you tried it with the plain crepe? I know it's a limited packet, unlike my beloved potato puree, but I'm thinking it might be good.
Closed Thread