Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #196  

S/C/G: 312/274/180

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Steve , it is not an egomaniac to realize you really do a better job at something than the published "experts". Your adaptations of the recipes are amazing.
Thanks. I actually didnt mean that I do it better than the experts, but that my reason for doing the recipes was that I have all three cookbooks and felt they didnt completely think about the target audience... new Ideal Protein dieters who may not have a lot of time, experience or money to go the full gourmet route or to whom using 3-4 different IP packs for one recipe might not be sensible.

Having said that, I got a ridiculous amount of inspiration from the cookbooks. I used them as a springboard for ideas, then would often tweak the original to better fit what I understood was appropriate for Phase 1.

For example, only a few of the salad dressing recipes are my originals... most are compiled or adapted from the books or other IP websites.

But I agree with what the other clinic said about not stocking the books... because they had to be in both English and French (I think its a Canadian law, right?) there weren't a ton of useable recipes for the value (and I had previously complained that there werent enough pictures or that the pictures were not of the recipe made.

It sounds like the brand new cookbook has addressed many of those issues and is much, much better. Curious to find out if it is just a combination of the best of the other three cookbooks or something new?

But I am totally on board for supporting any initiatives to help dieters feel like they have options and not feel trapped or restricted by the diet. At least for me, this because a million times easier when I realised I didnt have to only have a shake, a salad, a pudding, and a bunch of yucky vegetables I couldnt get down. I can honestly say that I am probably eating better and more healthy than any other time in my life. My wife cannot believe how many vegetables I eat now, since I almost never ate them before.

Good luck to everyone's efforts to teach ourselves new skills and find new favourite meals. This is a lifelong journey, so I want to find meals I can make now that I will still want to eat when I am not on Phase 1 to make it easier to not make past mistakes again!

S
Old 10-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #197  

S/C/G: 234/200/125

Height: 5'0"

Question Searching for chicken breast recipe coated with the sw cheese puffs-can anyone help?

I'm searching for the chicken breast recipe coated with the southwest cheese puffs. I've searched on here, googled it, looked through my bookmarks and looked through the IP cookbook I have... I can't remember where I saw it! Can anyone help?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #198  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by want to be me again View Post
I'm searching for the chicken breast recipe coated with the southwest cheese puffs. I've searched on here, googled it, looked through my bookmarks and looked through the IP cookbook I have... I can't remember where I saw it! Can anyone help?
I haven't done it with the southwestern cheese curls but I have made it with the orange pancake. Just dip the chicken in eggwhites then coat it with the cheese curls and bake....that is how I would do it
Old 10-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #199  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Found this today on FB from the Finland page...Thought I would share

TEENY TINY ITTY BITTY CROUTONS (IP Crunchy Cereal): I was desperate for some variety in my endless parade of salads and stumbled across this brilliant "mock crouton" recipe. Super easy, excellent crunch, and wonderful flavors... as long as you get past the fact that your croutons look like rice crispies, you'll be a happy camper.

Ingredients
1 packet of Ideal Protein Plain Cereal
2 tsp extra-Virgin oil (original recipe says 1 TB, but I think thats too much)
1/2 tsp garlic, minced (I use a grinder with dry garlic. you can also use 1/8-1/4 tsp garlic powder)
Dried Italian herbs, to taste (basil, oregano, thyme, marjorum, etc) (about 1/2 -1 tsp)
I also grind a mix of sea salt and black pepper over the top of this when done baking.

Directions
1. Using a sieve, separate cereals from milk powder.
2. Set milk powder aside.
3. In a medium bowl, mix olive oil, garlic and Italian herbs.
4. Mix well and add cereal. Let stand for 30 min at room temperature.
5. Place cereals in an aluminum plate (or on baking paper on a baking pan) and bake in over at “Broil” for a few minutes until crisp and flavourful. (about 5+ min) (or bake at 200 C) Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste if desired.
6. Sprinkle on your salad and serve with your choice of approved Salad Dressing.

*Note: keep milk powder for a milkshake or to add to a hot drink to make it creamy.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #200  
Started IP 8/26/11

S/C/G: 241/179/150

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnSteven View Post
I'm curious as to what types of new recipes y'all are craving?

Salty or Sweet?
(I tend to crave recipes for meat & veggies. I also was desperate for dressings until some friendly folks posted a bunch of great ideas)

With or Without IP Packages?
(ie, Turning your cereal into pancakes or pudding into a hot vanilla chai or things to do with the various meats/ veggies allowed?)

Gourmet or Take Away?
Meals to impress / share with family or meals to take to work?
Gourmet/Take away - presentation is everything and makes you feel like you have had something decedent!
Old 10-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #201  

S/C/G: 229/161/150

Height: 5'2"

Hello to all - some of these recipes look amazing - I have a question about recipes with the IP lemon pudding packet? looking for something to help with the flavor, texture, etc... I only have one left and I dread eating it Please help!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #202  

Default Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins (IP Lemon Pudding)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwmgrl View Post
Hello to all - some of these recipes look amazing - I have a question about recipes with the IP lemon pudding packet? looking for something to help with the flavor, texture, etc... I only have one left and I dread eating it Please help!!!
Scroll down to make a Lemon Poppy Seed "muffin"... I use the word muffin in parenthesis, because it deflats and is more like a kind of bread/ cookie. But dont let the shape turn you off... these are pretty amazing tasting.

Someone posted on my facebook page:

Quote:
OMG! I haven't liked the puddings so after reading this recipe I had to throw a banana pudding into my order. Just made them and WOW!!! I love them! It's a cross between banana bread and zucchini bread! (2 of my faves). The cardamom just adds so much too! (another one of my faves)! This really make it feel like I am a big FAT cheater! and I love it! ;-) Thank you, keep these recipes coming, going to try the pulla hot toddie later today!
So give it a shot... I hated the banana and lemon puddings by themselves and actually re-ordered more just to make this again...and again.

Visit the IP RECIPES FROM FINLAND thread or http://www.facebook.com/idealproteinlohja for a bunch more pix and recipes. I try to update with something new at least twice a week.

BANANA "BREAD" (IP Banana Pudding) / LEMON POPPYSEED MUFFINS (IP Lemon Pudding) : Stretch your pudding and create a tasty snack that makes 9 medium or 6 large portions... All for you and all together count as only 1 non-restricted item!

Ingredients:
2 beaten egg whites
1 Package IP Banana Pudding
1 cup or more shredded zucchini
1 tsp baking powder
1 small package Truvia, Splenda or other sweetener (about 1 tsp)
1 tsp or more cinnamon
1/2 tsp or more cardamom
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 - 1 tsp nutmeg
Optional: 1 tsp Rum extract and/or vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 180 C (bout 350 F)
1. Grate zucchini (I use 1/2 a large zucchini for about 1-1.5 cups). Use a paper towel to soak up the moisture/water from the zucchini.
2. Dust the shredded zucchini with the various spices (cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, nutmeg) and let sit for about 2 minutes.
3. While waiting, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold a shape.
4. Add in IP Banana pudding, baking powder, and sweetener. Blend.
5. Add in zucchini and rum/vanilla extract if using and blend.
6. Spray a muffin tin with Pam or other non-stick spray.
7. Pour batter into muffin tins. I made 9 med size filling each 1/2 way up. It will also make 6 large if you want.
8. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until top turns dark, but not burned. (Watch carefully).

NOTE: This "bread" will puff up gorgeously when baking, but will often deflate after taking from the oven. You can try cooking a bit longer or just enjoy the funny looking, but tasty treats as they fall.

This recipe will also work with Chocolate & Lemon IP Pudding.

UPDATE:
Just made a lemon poppy seed version which was excellent. (Yes, even with the zucchini.)
I used about 1.5 cups of zucchini and upped the baking powder to 1 teaspoon. I dried the shredded zucchini, then sprinkled generously with poppy seeds and added cinnamon, a pinch of ginger powder and a little nutmeg. Then I sprinkled with 1 packet of Truvia (sweetener about 1tsp). After 5 minutes, I splashed with lemon juice. Then I added it to the beaten egg whites and Lemon Ideal Protein Pudding mix. The "bread" still fell (had a dent in the middle) and were a little moist, but the taste was excellent. Made about 7-8 good sized portions

MORE NOTES:
I have to admit that I really dislike the Banana Pudding by itself, so looked for a way to re-imagine it in a way I would enjoy. I would absolutely make this recipe again.

I have previously posted a recipe for cupcakes which are ok, but not my favourite. This version is quite a bit better. Believe it or not, the zucchini gives it much more body as well as increases your portions dramatically. It also transforms into a delicious taste when the spices are added and it bakes. The Truvia sweetener is also a revelation in these, because it takes away the slightly chalky flavor of the pudding and makes it taste much better.

Lastly, I am from Finland, where Cardamom is King, so I am biased... but I think the taste and texture that spice gives really improves the overall banana taste. But you can make it without the cardamom as well if you dont have any.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #203  

hey finnsteven - im trying them now - should they have a dry inside or will it be a little wet?
Old 10-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #204  
IP Start Date 9/21/11

S/C/G: 214/212/140

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicAngie View Post
I made this last night and OMG it's fabulous! I fed it to my family too! If your ever craving chinese food.... this'll do it!!!

Grated cauliflower instead of rice is both delicious and low carb.
Ingredients1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 large egg
1 cup cauliflower, grated
2 tsps garlic
1/4 cup chopped scallions
Directions1.Grate the cauliflower using either the largest holes on a hand grater or with the grating blade in food processor. The results should almost resemble the size of cooked white rice.
2.Heat oil to cover the bottom of a small skillet on medium-high.
3.Quickly stir-fry the garlic. Watch closely so as not to burn.
4.Add the cauliflower; fry about 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly until it begins to color a bit. Don't overcook or it might get mushy.
5.Stir in the soy sauce. Push the cauliflower to one side of the pan; pour in the beaten egg.
6.Lightly scramble the egg briefly then mix into the cauliflower.
7.Add the green onion and toss.
8.Note: add some chicken and make it a meal!
I just made this...two thumbs up!
Old 10-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #205  

Quote:
hey finnsteven - im trying them now - should they have a dry inside or will it be a little wet?
When done, they will be just a little wet. That comes from the zucchini and is fine. You can cook them more (I do) but just watch like a hawk so they dont burn.

They are good hot or cold, but I prefer them just a few minutes out of the oven. (It doesnt give the little devils time to have an aftertaste... just naughty lemon poppyseed goodness.)
Old 10-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #206  

Quote:
When done, they will be just a little wet. That comes from the zucchini and is fine. You can cook them more (I do) but just watch like a hawk so they dont burn.

They are good hot or cold, but I prefer them just a few minutes out of the oven. (It doesnt give the little devils time to have an aftertaste... just naughty lemon poppyseed goodness.)

they are quite yummy and such a different taste than just nasty pudding I liked your facebook page and am gonna go through more of your recipes today!! Thanks for being creative
Old 10-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #207  

Quote:
they are quite yummy and such a different taste than just nasty pudding I liked your facebook page and am gonna go through more of your recipes today!! Thanks for being creative
so happy to hear they turned out!

If you have any other lemon puddings left, you might try making a drink out of it.

MINT JULEP

1. Make 16oz (2 cups) of herbal peppermint tea (I use 2 bags of tea to burst the flavor. I actually make 1.5 liters of the 2 bag Peppermint tea, then I am able to use some for the Julep and have more left for a refreshing drink throughout the day). Seep for 10min. Then chill overnight in the refrigerator (or add ice and chill till very cold)
2. Pour cold tea in a blended. Add 1 packet of sweetener (slenda/ truvia/ etc)
3. Blend.
4. Add 2-4 ice cubes and blend until smoothie texture.
5. Taste. Add 1 tsp peppermint extract and/or a squirt of lemon juice. You can also add dried mint leaves, but I dont find they add much flavor and look a little funny.

This is a refreshing way to transform a "nasty pudding" into a refreshing treat. (The sweetener and the burst of mint make it into a new beast.)

Though sadly, the best I can do with the banana pudding as a drink is to mix it with IP butterscotch pudding and rum extract... but the banana is still a bit to fake for my tastes and only good (but really good) in the banana bread.

Good luck on your taste adventures while losing weight!!! We dont have to suffer, we just need to plan ahead. If you can read, you can cook! xo Rattatouile (sp?)

Last edited by FinnSteven; 10-22-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #208  

Quote:
Scroll down to make a Lemon Poppy Seed "muffin"... I use the word muffin in parenthesis, because it deflats and is more like a kind of bread/ cookie. But dont let the shape turn you off... these are pretty amazing tasting.

Someone posted on my facebook page:

So give it a shot... I hated the banana and lemon puddings by themselves and actually re-ordered more just to make this again...and again.

Visit the IP RECIPES FROM FINLAND thread or http://www.facebook.com/idealproteinlohja for a bunch more pix and recipes. I try to update with something new at least twice a week.

BANANA "BREAD" (IP Banana Pudding) / LEMON POPPYSEED MUFFINS (IP Lemon Pudding) : Stretch your pudding and create a tasty snack that makes 9 medium or 6 large portions... All for you and all together count as only 1 non-restricted item!

Ingredients:
2 beaten egg whites
1 Package IP Banana Pudding
1 cup or more shredded zucchini
1 tsp baking powder
1 small package Truvia, Splenda or other sweetener (about 1 tsp)
1 tsp or more cinnamon
1/2 tsp or more cardamom
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 - 1 tsp nutmeg
Optional: 1 tsp Rum extract and/or vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 180 C (bout 350 F)
1. Grate zucchini (I use 1/2 a large zucchini for about 1-1.5 cups). Use a paper towel to soak up the moisture/water from the zucchini.
2. Dust the shredded zucchini with the various spices (cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, nutmeg) and let sit for about 2 minutes.
3. While waiting, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold a shape.
4. Add in IP Banana pudding, baking powder, and sweetener. Blend.
5. Add in zucchini and rum/vanilla extract if using and blend.
6. Spray a muffin tin with Pam or other non-stick spray.
7. Pour batter into muffin tins. I made 9 med size filling each 1/2 way up. It will also make 6 large if you want.
8. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until top turns dark, but not burned. (Watch carefully).

NOTE: This "bread" will puff up gorgeously when baking, but will often deflate after taking from the oven. You can try cooking a bit longer or just enjoy the funny looking, but tasty treats as they fall.

This recipe will also work with Chocolate & Lemon IP Pudding.

UPDATE:
Just made a lemon poppy seed version which was excellent. (Yes, even with the zucchini.)
I used about 1.5 cups of zucchini and upped the baking powder to 1 teaspoon. I dried the shredded zucchini, then sprinkled generously with poppy seeds and added cinnamon, a pinch of ginger powder and a little nutmeg. Then I sprinkled with 1 packet of Truvia (sweetener about 1tsp). After 5 minutes, I splashed with lemon juice. Then I added it to the beaten egg whites and Lemon Ideal Protein Pudding mix. The "bread" still fell (had a dent in the middle) and were a little moist, but the taste was excellent. Made about 7-8 good sized portions

MORE NOTES:
I have to admit that I really dislike the Banana Pudding by itself, so looked for a way to re-imagine it in a way I would enjoy. I would absolutely make this recipe again.

I have previously posted a recipe for cupcakes which are ok, but not my favourite. This version is quite a bit better. Believe it or not, the zucchini gives it much more body as well as increases your portions dramatically. It also transforms into a delicious taste when the spices are added and it bakes. The Truvia sweetener is also a revelation in these, because it takes away the slightly chalky flavor of the pudding and makes it taste much better.

Lastly, I am from Finland, where Cardamom is King, so I am biased... but I think the taste and texture that spice gives really improves the overall banana taste. But you can make it without the cardamom as well if you dont have any.

I just made this recipe for lunch with butterscotch pudding. I actually doubled the recipe and will take half the muffins to work tomorrow. They took a lot longer to bake. I loved the zuchinni and the spices in them.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #209  

bump
Old 10-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #210  
Started IP 10/13/11

S/C/G: 280/170/210

Height: 5' 10

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiego View Post
I just made this...two thumbs up!
I had it last night too and loved it
Closed Thread