Old 09-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 175/127/125

Height: 5'5"

Same here. I've noticed.. the perception has to do to some degree with the place/people you're surrounded by. I used to be in the 130's and felt incredibly fat, at that time I was living in a city where everyone is 100 lbs. Then I moved and I was 140 and felt normal. After that I got married, moved again, and ballooned up to my hw of 175, but it was so quickly (in a matter of a year) that I didn't notice! (I wore yoga pants for a while, because it was cold and people were very casual in that city) until I moved again, saw pictures of myself and it was as if I were looking at someone else. In fact, I decided to go see my Dr. about my weight when I had to go take a passport picture and I honestly could not believe that was me.
Now that I've lost some of the extra weight.. I don't see the difference from where I started, so I wear some of my old clothes to try to gauge really what I look like. As others have said, when you are in the process of losing weight, you tend to focus on the flaws, because after all that's what you're trying to get rid of, so they seem bigger than what they really are.

Through all the ups and downs though, I think that at least I can say that I've learned to accept that there are things I cannot change about my body. I have the widest hips in the world, and no matter what I weigh, I will never be able to fit into a size 0. I have a wide rib cage as well, so there are things/fits that are just not for me. What I'm trying to say is that I'm no longer trying to achieve the unachievable, which should be just common sense, but somehow it isn't always so. I guess this at least counts as progress in the whole self-image department. But yeap, it's a battle.
Gika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 163/151/139

Height: 5'7"

I have a little different experience.

I grew up with a sister (2 years older) who suffered from a life threatening eating disorder (anorexia and/or bulimia depending on the year) for more than 25 years (she's healthy now). As a result I decided I would give no power whatsoever to food, and so ate what I wanted (including tons of junk food). I was a normal weight until the last few years, and never worried about it.

My weight has crept up, and seeing my other sister (who has always been heavy) lose 45 pounds on the Matol plan which is IP based motivated me to go on my first diet ever.

I've been scared to diet, scared I'll end up sick like my sister or that I'll send the wrong message to my teenage girls about their bodies. I decided that I was already sending them messages (unhealthy ones) by regularly eating junk food and not being conscious of my health.

I have been surprised by the issues around my sister's illness that have been raised by this though.
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #33  
Maintaining since 11/8/11

S/C/G: 170/141.5/140

Height: 5'7"

The other day I was trying on dresses that used to be too tight and now fit nicely. I showed them off to my husband, who told me, "You look like a model!". (Sweet...I don't) I couldn't help thinking that its a shame we can't see ourselves thru the eyes of those who truly love us. If we could, this thread may not be necessary...
pink parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 196/172/140

Height: 5'4

I avoid the mirror and I hate pictures with me in them. So I tend to be the one always with a camera in hand. That being said, I never felt as fat as I looked. I am super healthy (except for the weight) and active so being heavy never slowed me down. But I did hate the way I looked and when i did see a picture or caught a reflection in the mirror.
I have lost about 23 pounds and I get lots of compliments but I am not where I want so I don't see the weight loss yet! Sure, I can feel it in clothing and do feel better about myself but visually, I don't see it.
yma311 is offline   Reply With Quote