Old 06-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/192/160

Height: 5' 5.5"

Question Timing of IP Foods

Hi everyone,

I have a question for you experienced IP'ers out there: What is the reason that the 3rd (or 4th packet in my case) is recommended in the evening? My issue is that I am really hungry (not craving) between 3-4:00 p.m. everyday. This is not new as I have routinely had a small snack during that time to tide me over from lunch to dinner. I am never hungry after dinner (also not new) so I don't really see the need for the p.m. IP food but I eat it anyway because my coach suggested it.

I've asked my coach if I could move the evening IP food to mid-afternoon, since that's when I am hungry for it but she said "no" and did not really offer an explanation. She just said it works better that way. If I could move it and still get good results, I'd rather do that because it would save $27/week that way.

What do you all think? Does it work better, worse, or no differently for you if you have a mid-afternoon vs. evening IP food?

Thanks,

Karen
karenfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 247/189/145

Height: 5'2"

I've been on IP for 4 weeks now, and have been losing steadily. I do not have the 3rd (or some days 4th) packet in the evening.

Each coach is different, so when I asked her before I started if I could move the dinner packet up, she said that's not a problem. I absolutely can NOT go from my 1pm lunch to dinner (usually around 7-8pm) without an IP packet mid-day. The reason for the late night packet recommendation is so your body gets additional nutrition before you go to sleep. If you wake up and feel at all lightheaded, uneasy, or unusually hungry, you probably need that night snack. My sheet says to try not to eat anything after 8pm, and choose a lower carb packet, like a pudding or a drink. Because I'm eating dinner so late, I don't see the point. Some nights I do have an IP jello if I'm feeling the need for a "sweet treat" after dinner.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by katiebeth7; 06-05-2011 at 10:19 PM.
katiebeth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 226/172/150

Height: 5'5

I was told to eat my last packet in the evening so that your body does not go into starvation mode through the night. It gives your body something to "eat" other than muscle.
Bretley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #4  
megs3

S/C/G: 164/164/130

Height: 5"2

I was having the same problem. I could not make it through the 3-4pm snack craving. I always eat supper later in the evening so my coach suggested I could eat my snack to reduce my urge to cheat in the afternoon.
msmith61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 187.6/164.2/135

Height: 5'4"

This was going to be my #1 question to my coach when I met with her tomorrow morning. I am normally starving/dragging by 3 pm. If I don't eat anything then, I would be dying by the time I get all the kids home from daycare and eat dinner at 6 pm or 6:30 pm. And then I haven't be hungry at all during the evenings.
becca1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

I admit I eat alot earlier now for this reason. I usually have dinner at 5, whereas I used to eat around 6:30. I then have my snack around 7:30. My schedule allows for this though as I'm sure not everyones does.
I think though and of course your coach's would have to confirm this is that if you are eating a late dinner then having the protein as an afternoon snack would have the same affect. Your still getting your protein in the evening that should get you through the night its just coming from your dinner meat serving instead of the packet. Just my thought anyway.
Losingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #7  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

I have a cup of coffee or hot tea with some vanilla RTD...always helps my hunger at that time.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #8  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenfromtexas View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a question for you experienced IP'ers out there: What is the reason that the 3rd (or 4th packet in my case) is recommended in the evening? My issue is that I am really hungry (not craving) between 3-4:00 p.m. everyday. This is not new as I have routinely had a small snack during that time to tide me over from lunch to dinner. I am never hungry after dinner (also not new) so I don't really see the need for the p.m. IP food but I eat it anyway because my coach suggested it.

I've asked my coach if I could move the evening IP food to mid-afternoon, since that's when I am hungry for it but she said "no" and did not really offer an explanation. She just said it works better that way. If I could move it and still get good results, I'd rather do that because it would save $27/week that way.

What do you all think? Does it work better, worse, or no differently for you if you have a mid-afternoon vs. evening IP food?

Thanks,

Karen
Hi, Karen. There's a lot of good advice below but let me add my two cents. At your weight and height you really don't need the fourth packet. But there are still ways you can beat this: 1/2 packet at 3-4 and 1/2 packet before bed; whole packet at 3-4; if your workplace allows it, have a romaine salad or vegetable salad with WF mid-afternoon; have your meat at lunch, then the next two packets for dinner and snack. If you eat dinner late (7-8) definitely have the packet mid-afternoon. See the possibilities?
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

It seems very odd to me that different IP coaches have different answers to the same question.

Regardless, studies show that when protein intake is sufficient meal timing is not very important. If your final meal of the day is a lean meat + veggies this is plenty to get you through the night till breakfast so moving a protein packet to the afternoon would not be a bad thing. I wouldn't, however, go so far as to say the fourth packet isn't necessary.

Before anyone asks -no - I am not on the IP diet.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #10  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
It seems very odd to me that different IP coaches have different answers to the same question.

Regardless, studies show that when protein intake is sufficient meal timing is not very important. If your final meal of the day is a lean meat + veggies this is plenty to get you through the night till breakfast so moving a protein packet to the afternoon would not be a bad thing. I wouldn't, however, go so far as to say the fourth packet isn't necessary.

Before anyone asks -no - I am not on the IP diet.
I answered your post in two words. Grow up. But because I doubt that will penetrate, I deleted it. And, just because I'm curious, I wonder why you think "when protein intake is sufficient" isn't the answer to your last sentence. But PLEASE, don't answer. One outburst from you not-on-the-IP-diet is enough for one day.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 159/150/129

Height: 5'2

I start my day very early, and eat a late supper, so my coach has said okay to the mid afternoon snack.
Another tip is to have a salad for your snack.
Thefireresides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #12  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I answered your post in two words. Grow up. But because I doubt that will penetrate, I deleted it. And, just because I'm curious, I wonder why you think "when protein intake is sufficient" isn't the answer to your last sentence. But PLEASE, don't answer. One outburst from you not-on-the-IP-diet is enough for one day.
I don't know if skipping a packet would provide sufficient protein to the OP because I don't know enough about her bodycomposition or activity level.

I mention the fact that I am not on the IP diet because for some reason when ever I answer a question from an IP dieter I'll get asked that question so I thought I would answer ahead of time. Why the hostility?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have to admit that I was extremely interested in IP and similar programs until I started exploring the IP threads. All the hostility aimed at visitors and even other IP members has been quite disturbing. The intolerance has been astonishing. God help anyone on or off the plan who isn't doing the protocol exactly as some individuals believe it needs to be done (regardles of whether the poster was or was not advised by their own coach or by the official IP protocol). I find it difficult to call this support.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the subject matter is or isn't something that IP officially endorses, whether it be allowed sweeteners, the amount of water intake, the amount and kinds of exercise, the precise timing and order of the packets... doesn't seem to matter - someone here is going to tell you (quite forcefully and even rudely) that you're doing it wrong, and that you have to do it "their way" to have any success at all (and sometimes their way is official IP doctrine, and sometimes it's not).

Every coach seemed to have different suggestions, and yet many people posting argue that it must be done exactly precisely this way or that way for a person to have any success at all (whether "this way" was something they were told to do by their coach, or something the person commenting invented for themselves).

I had hoped that a plan such as IP, with high-protein ready-to-eat (or nearly so) foods would be very convenient and helpful to me, especially when I don't have the time and energy to plan and prepare meals, but I have to say the IP threads have left a very bad taste in my mouth, and I haven't even tried the food yet.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-06-2011 at 08:33 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 226/172/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I have to admit that I was extremely interested in IP and similar programs until I started exploring the IP threads. All the hostility aimed at visitors and even other IP members has been quite disturbing. The intolerance has been astonishing. God help anyone on or off the plan who isn't doing the protocol exactly as some individuals believe it needs to be done (regardles of whether the poster was or was not advised by their own coach or by the official IP protocol). I find it difficult to call this support.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the subject matter is or isn't something that IP officially endorses, whether it be allowed sweeteners, the amount of water intake, the amount and kinds of exercise, the precise timing and order of the packets... doesn't seem to matter - someone here is going to tell you (quite forcefully and even rudely) that you're doing it wrong, and that you have to do it "their way" to have any success at all (and sometimes their way is official IP doctrine, and sometimes it's not).

Every coach seemed to have different suggestions, and yet many people posting argue that it must be done exactly precisely this way or that way for a person to have any success at all (whether "this way" was something they were told to do by their coach, or something the person commenting invented for themselves).

I had hoped that a plan such as IP, with high-protein ready-to-eat (or nearly so) foods would be very convenient and helpful to me, especially when I don't have the time and energy to plan and prepare meals, but I have to say the IP threads have left a very bad taste in my mouth, and I haven't even tried the food yet.
The food doesn't taste much better! Hah! I'm kidding, there are a few delicious options. I'm sorry you've had such problems with this board, I agree we can get a bit testy. At times I read something and it almost seems cultish haha. BUT! This plan works. I really hope you give it a second chance because I think you will be so pleased
Bretley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

I have to admit that I would agree with you, however, there are alot of good hints and tips on this sight. You have to read and decide what is right for you. The program works, so please do not let this social media stop you. Most of the food is pretty good although I find that everyone has different tastes, so you cannot go by what someone says.

I have been unsuccessful with Weight Watchers and IP has been a blessing. Best wishes with whatever you choose.
SaskDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote