Old 01-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #46  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

I think all IP references to quantity are before cooking....
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 185.8/138.6/135.8

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbshl View Post
Are the measurements for rice and pasta before cooking or after cooking?
I'm not an expert and have not verified this with a coach (doing it on my own with the help of this forum) but I would have to say the measurements for the pasta, rice, oatmeal and couscous are weights AFTER cooking unlike the measurements for protein and vegetables listed.

For example 5 oz of cooked brown rice is about 150 cal and 32 carbs. Where as 5 oz of dry rice before cooking is about 500 cal and 110 carbs.

I can't imagine the mean for you to have the later. Hope that helps.

Last edited by maybeface; 01-26-2016 at 12:11 PM.
maybeface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeface View Post
I'm not an expert and have not verified this with a coach (doing it on my own with the help of this forum) but I would have to say the measurements for the pasta, rice, oatmeal and couscous are weights AFTER cooking unlike the measurements for protein and vegetables listed.

For example 5 oz of cooked brown rice is about 150 cal and 32 carbs. Where as 5 oz of dry rice before cooking is about 500 cal and 110 carbs.

maybeface is correct, bmbshl, according to my Alternative sheet - although mine is in grams (Canadian).
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:05 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 255/216/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeface View Post

Thanks! That's exactly why I asked. Huge difference between pre and post cooking. I cooked up 5 oz dry pasta and thought "there's no way I can eat much!". Greatly appreciate the response.
bmbshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:06 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 255/216/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
maybeface is correct, bmbshl, according to my Alternative sheet - although mine is in grams (Canadian).
thanks so much!
bmbshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 185.8/138.6/135.8

Height: 5' 2"

Thanks for confirming canadjineh. Happy to help bmbshl!
maybeface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:46 PM   #52  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Sorry for any confusion about precooked weight of carbs - it's been so long since I have measured and cooked any carbs, I had forgotten that cooked carbs weigh more than uncooked..... as opposed to proteins which generally weigh more before cooking.... MY BOO BOO!!!!
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #53  

I just started this diet! One yr ago I had a kidney/ pancreas transplant. after my surgery i lost 50 pounds. Recently I gained 10 pounds and my nephrologist recommended I try this diet!
Jessicajeshua@gmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #54  

Good morning! I have just recently switched over to the alternative plan phase one to attempt losing my last 15 pounds. My coach suggested this because my activity level is so high, she was concerned about me not losing the right kind of weight ( muscle mass) on the original phase 1. Does anyone have any experience in the alternative plan, without being diabetic?
Raspyabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:13 AM   #55  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspyabs View Post
Good morning! I have just recently switched over to the alternative plan phase one to attempt losing my last 15 pounds. My coach suggested this because my activity level is so high, she was concerned about me not losing the right kind of weight ( muscle mass) on the original phase 1. Does anyone have any experience in the alternative plan, without being diabetic?
Hi Raspyabs! I started off my weightloss in Nov 2013 on the usual regular phases. For the first while I lost normally as expected although a bit slower as I have an active job and only needed to lose about 37 lbs. After about a month though, I quit losing weight and just felt like crap with no energy. I decided to go on the alternative Diabetic/Athletic Plan since my body obviously needed more food to work properly. Boom! Felt better VERY QUICKLY, and started losing about 1.5 lbs a week again. Now on my reboot (I'd gained 10 lbs slowly about the last 2 years - I am now 3.5 yrs in maintenance) I am doing Alternative Plan right from the start because I know my body better now. I don't always use all 3 groups every day, almost every day I use the dairy group, and sometimes I switch off fruit (2 or 3 servings a week) and beans or rice starch carb group (2 or 3 servings a week).
Works like a charm for me. I haven't lost a huge amount in the past 3 weeks since I started - only just about 5 lbs - but I have lost 11 inches in all the places I needed to, mainly waist, belly, hips, and thighs. I'm back into 7 more pairs of my favorite low weight jeans and there are 3 or 4 more that I will be back into in another 4 or 5 lbs. (sz 2's)

My coach rolls her eyes at my food diary as I have twice had entries for 90% Lindt chocolate as a snack, and one day I was out with a friend and had Nutella Walnut Caramel ice cream (no cone/single scoop). I don't go crazy for sweets though. My thing is salty crunchy chips and cheesy popcorn.

I will try and keep an eye out for you here and help wherever possible. Ask me anything. Hi and welcome Jessicajeshua!!
Liana

Last edited by canadjineh; 09-27-2017 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #56  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
The PDFs of the Alt plan are in the FAQ
Here is a link to the post: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4349574-post4.html
I keep getting "page not found" when I click on this link
Steel Captains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:52 PM   #57  
I will get there!

S/C/G: 213/177/145

Height: 5'5

I need some help! I lost 74 lbs on IP 4 years ago but due to some medical problems I gained most of it back now that I'm feeling better I'm ready to get back on track. I have decided to do the alternative plan due to costs but I'm not having much luck for some reason. 5 weeks and only 6 lbs. I'm having and iso protein shake for breakfast, 2 cups veggies for lunch with another shake and 2 cups veggies, 6oz meat for dinner and 1/2 pure protein bar for a snack. I'm drinking at least 2 liters of water a day and walking for 15 minutes. Why ia this not working? Help please! 😔
shellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #58  

Hi... I'm new to this site. I'm looking for alternative meal replacement bars... will atkins meal bars work?
Smcarso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:20 AM   #59  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smcarso View Post
Hi... I'm new to this site. I'm looking for alternative meal replacement bars... will atkins meal bars work?
Hi Steel Captains and Shelby and Smcarso! This thread is mainly talking about the slightly higher carb Alternative Plan IP. Not about using alternative products to IP. That being said, Pure Protein and Atkins have a lot of sweetener/sugar alcohols in them and often that's a bit of a problem. Many find that it interferes with weight loss. You might want to try using a 'cleaner' bar with less fake sweeteners in them such as Simply bars which are also gluten free. Quest protein powders work wonderfully for 'baking' protein muffins or mug cakes but the bars are too high in fat to be IP compliant. There are Quest chips and Simply chips too if you want something more savoury that is on plan. Nashua Nutrition online has a lot of good ideas and you can join up for cheaper offers & shipping. Hope that helps a bit. Make sure to eat all your veg and oil and take supplements! Trying to game that only backfires.

Liana
Old 10-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #60  

Default Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Hi Steel Captains and Shelby and Smcarso! This thread is mainly talking about the slightly higher carb Alternative Plan IP. Not about using alternative products to IP. That being said, Pure Protein and Atkins have a lot of sweetener/sugar alcohols in them and often that's a bit of a problem. Many find that it interferes with weight loss. You might want to try using a 'cleaner' bar with less fake sweeteners in them such as Simply bars which are also gluten free. Quest protein powders work wonderfully for 'baking' protein muffins or mug cakes but the bars are too high in fat to be IP compliant. There are Quest chips and Simply chips too if you want something more savoury that is on plan. Nashua Nutrition online has a lot of good ideas and you can join up for cheaper offers & shipping. Hope that helps a bit. Make sure to eat all your veg and oil and take supplements! Trying to game that only backfires.

Liana
Thanks Liana! I will stay away from the Atkins that I was going to use. Never really ate protein bars before so not a loss.
Steel Captains is offline   Reply With Quote