Old 04-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #1  
in need of help!

Default signs ketosis

I suppose there is a thread already about this subject but I cannot find it...

How do you know (physically, not with the strips) if you are in Ketosis? Are there any signs/ symptoms?

I am on day 3...and I have not been able to get all the packets in. I am good for breakfast and lunch but cannot have a snack. I am too full!!!
gigi1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 152.4/138/125.5

Height: 5'4-1/2"

The only symptom I've experienced that tells me I'm in ketosis is the bad breath...nice, eh? But it's a sure sign. Also the loss in inches and body fat.

Are you having your body fat measured at your WI's? Not only is it a sign of ketosis working but it's also a great morale booster!
lindacraig63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200.8/186.8/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I know by the colour of my pee (it is more a "fake" neon/lemon yellow than the usual darker yellow colour or clear that I would normally get) ...sorry if this is TMI!

I also get swollen gums and a "funny" feeling around the middle of my tongue.

Some people report a metallic taste and bad breath but I haven't really noticed this. However, I add a lot of parsley to my food (good for bad breath) and I like to sip on peppermint tea a lot. I also normally use toothpaste and mouthwash quite reguarly (several times a day).

Last edited by Susie_Bee; 04-08-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Susie_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 301/239/190

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1023 View Post
I suppose there is a thread already about this subject but I cannot find it...

How do you know (physically, not with the strips) if you are in Ketosis? Are there any signs/ symptoms?

I am on day 3...and I have not been able to get all the packets in. I am good for breakfast and lunch but cannot have a snack. I am too full!!!

Good question! I always wondered too. Does anyones coach ever check or talk to them about it? Mine never has and I always wondered how you knew for sure.
I am losing weight, but my body fat has not dropped all that much.
mamabearone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/tkr/125 (IP since 3/20/11)

Height: 5'3"

Aside from the symptoms that were already listed, I think another sign is a difference in the way your pee smells.

I remember wondering the same thing as you, knowing that my breath may or may not smell and taste bad. And on the 3rd day I thought, when will I know if I'm in ketosis? The next day, I woke up in the middle of the night with a metallic-y taste in my mouth. Blegh. But you don't really notice that for long.

Then you just do what SusieB does. I'd recommend a mouthwish that is alcohol free (like Biotene), so it doesn't end up inadvertently drying your mouth out, which is also a cause for bad breath.
Treena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #6  
Kathy

S/C/G: 165/120/120

Height: 5' 1"

General the neon yellow urine is due to vitamin B. It's your bodies way of getting rid of the vitamins that aren't absorbed.

The only way I knew I was in ketosis was the horrible breath and funny urine smell. Although after awhile that does finally all go away.
Alaskaipjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 224.4/219.0/150

Height: 5 ft 4

Only way I can tell is sometimes a metalic taste in my mouth. I thought it was the water I was drinking, lol then realized tasted the same at work. Urine is only real yellow soon after the vitamins I take. Urine is pretty clear with all the water I drink lol.
locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 207/198/170

Height: 5'9"

I can tell because my urine smells "sugary". Like a bowl of cereal milk. )
Reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

I don't have any symptoms at all. You will know for sure you are in ketosis when you see the scale move better than any other diet

Eat your 3 packets though! Are you having a bar as your 3rd? Super easy to get those in...YUMMY! This is already a very low cal diet and eating less can actually cause your body to hold on to that fat!
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #10  
IP START: March 20th 2011

Height: 5'5''

the WORST i mean WORST taste in my mouth when I wake up. Not normal "morning breath" but Dragon breath. Just awful.
Shrinking Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote