Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 185/tkr/125 (IP since 3/20/11)

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingItOff View Post
Hi, I'm hypothyroid. I did a search to see what came up on IP but couldn't find anything. So I thought I'd start a thread for those of us on IP who have hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed about 9 years ago and am taking Levothyrosine. I would like to hear from those of you who have thyroid problems and have had success on IP. Or those doing the program now.

I have read and heard recently it is more effective to take your medicine before you go to bed than first thing in the morning, like the doctors tell you. So I have started doing that and I have moved up the time I take my other supplements because they recommend at least 4 hours of no calcium supplements before or after taking your thyroid medicine. I've also heard you are supposed to stay away from soy and soy products, but, I'd like to see if anyone still uses them with a thyroid condition and what the effects have been. Thanks so much. I really appreciate all the support on this forum.
My doctor emailed me yesterday about my thyroid vs. hypothyroidism and when to take levothyroxine. He said not to worry about the soy, that there's no connection. He also said that I don't have to worry about the time I take my levothyroxine, as long as I take it at the same time every day. And the dosage can be adjusted if food or supplements are preventing any of the hormone from being absorbed.

I have an appointment with him in a month, so we'll see how things are by then, and I'll let you know if there was a significant change in my thyroid level.

Hope that helped!
Treena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 201.8/180.8/140

Height: 5'6

Default Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treena View Post
My doctor emailed me yesterday about my thyroid vs. hypothyroidism and when to take levothyroxine. He said not to worry about the soy, that there's no connection. He also said that I don't have to worry about the time I take my levothyroxine, as long as I take it at the same time every day. And the dosage can be adjusted if food or supplements are preventing any of the hormone from being absorbed.

I have an appointment with him in a month, so we'll see how things are by then, and I'll let you know if there was a significant change in my thyroid level.

Hope that helped!
The test results should be interesting! I'll be curious to see them. I won't get tested again for a while.
GettingItOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

FYI, if you are managing your thyroid with synthetic hormone, it isn't neccessary to avoid goitrogenic foods. Goitrogenic foods decrease thyroid function and so if you are taking a natural approach to thyroid management (no medication), then yes, you should only do things that stimulate thyroid production and avoid those foods. But if you are taking a pill/synthetic management, you are replacing the t4 that the goitrogenic foods effect, so it doesn't matter.

The only other time that you may be effected by goitrogens is if you are subclinical hypothyroid and take a synthetic to assist your thyroid function. But for most of us that don't have a thyroid or if we are fully managing our thyroid via a pill, we don't need to worry.

Soy is different.....it effects the absorbtion of T4. So it should be avoided or spaced far away from your synthetic hormone. That is why I take my last packet before dinner and my Synthroid at night. Has been working great and I feel better than ever.

Last edited by serendipityberry; 03-29-2011 at 09:45 PM.
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote