Old 08-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #46  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemum View Post
I am having a terrible month. Of my last four weigh ins, I have lost zero inches, and gained .8 lb. ( 3 weeks of 0.0 loss, then a gain of .8 this week.)

I am eating "by the sheet", measuring everything, getting in my oil, vitamins, and water. I have been mixing in some days with lean beef and pork, not just chicken and fish (my go-to proteins.) I have not been eating any restricted veggies for the past two weeks, and I have cut out all sweetener packets/WF products for their hidden carbs. My net carbs are at about 20-25 per day, and my calories are beween 700-850, depending on my protein choice. I was losing great for months at the same calorie count, with about 5 g more carbs per day, and then suddenly my body hit a brick wall.

I need some new ideas. I asked my friend (she is a coach, and she started me on this program back in April) and she was at a loss. She combed through my food logs, and said that they looked fine. She suggested cutting out all extra 0/0/0 stuff, like Splenda packets and WF dressings, to see if it helped. It hasn't.

I was losing fine on alternative products, but after two weeks with no losses I went back to IP products for a while. I have stuck to the plan 100%, and my weight is officially stalled.

My days are like this:
B: Coffee with IP Vanilla drink blended with ice
L: 2 C romaine with 2 C select veg (mostly mushrooms, celery, green peppers, and cucumber) with oil/acv dressing, decaf iced coffee mixed with IP vanilla drink
D: 8 oz chicken/tilapia/lean steak/lean pork chop, grilled with IP friendly seasonings, 2 C veg (usually grilled zucchini or asparagus) and some nights I will have another small romaine salad with oil/acv
S: IP chocolate drink, warmed up a bit

I have no idea what to do next. I am committed to doing this plan until I reach goal, but after this past MONTH at the same weight, I am not sure that I can keep it up. Any suggestions?

How frustrating!!!!

Like Oneuh2, I wonder if you are not getting ENOUGH calories/protein? I really did notice a better overall feeling the past 1 1/2 months on IP, and I wonder if it is because the ratio of my weight to my caloric/protein intake is higher.

I would hate for you to be restricting any more, Mainemum! I know Liana needed to switch to the P1 Alternative plan to give her body more nutrition. But, what if you tried to add an extra packet daily this week and see how your body responds?

Hang in there!!!!!!
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #47  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

mainemum - are you having problems with the big C? That would sure make a difference.

You might try upping your oil a bit - the original protocol called for 2 TBSPs each day and some people have reported that they lose better with a little extra oil.

So frustrating but I admire your determination to stick with it! I assume you have talked to your doctor to rule out a medical reason?
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #48  
Started IP 4/19/14

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuh2 View Post
When you are over 200 lbs I understand many coaches advise 4 packets a day to ensure you get enough protein. Below 200 the recommendation drops back to 3 per day. I am no coach, and my coach put me on 3 per day although I began IP at 240... I am about to add in a 4th packet myself to see if that has a beneficial effect on losses. I am losing slow and steady, but I feel that over 200 lbs it might go a bit faster.... Perhaps you might discuss this with your coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evemomma View Post
How frustrating!!!!

Like Oneuh2, I wonder if you are not getting ENOUGH calories/protein? I really did notice a better overall feeling the past 1 1/2 months on IP, and I wonder if it is because the ratio of my weight to my caloric/protein intake is higher.

I would hate for you to be restricting any more, Mainemum! I know Liana needed to switch to the P1 Alternative plan to give her body more nutrition. But, what if you tried to add an extra packet daily this week and see how your body responds?

Hang in there!!!!!!
Thanks for the suggestions. My coach told me that I could do 4 packets if I wanted (when I started at 279) but that most of her clients under 300 go straight to 3 packets. I was doing fine with 3 packets, and I only add a 4th packet if I am very active (doing lawn work, etc.) I might add a 4th daily for a week or so... Willing to try anything at this point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
mainemum - are you having problems with the big C? That would sure make a difference.

You might try upping your oil a bit - the original protocol called for 2 TBSPs each day and some people have reported that they lose better with a little extra oil.

So frustrating but I admire your determination to stick with it! I assume you have talked to your doctor to rule out a medical reason?
Nope, no constipation, and no medical problems that we could find. My doctor did order some more labs, but I won't hear back for another few days.

His suggestion was to stay low carb, but do higher fat for a week or two. He was suggesting heavy cream in my coffee, full fat cheese, nuts, and avocados, along with any fish/meat that I want. He says that the higher fat & calories will kick my body out of starvation mode, but I will still be in ketosis. I'm not really interested in going off plan, but I may try this as a last resort.

I will try adding more oil to my salads and see if it helps! Thanks for the suggestions!
mainemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #49  
IP start date: 6/23/14

S/C/G: 294/202/155

I didn't see any restricteds in your menu. Do you have them?

I would add in a restricted every day and perhaps a 4th packet.

I started off almost 300 pounds on 3 packets a day and a restricted only 3 days a week. Then I added a 4th packet about 6 weeks in (nothing heavy...just blueberry-cran granata usually for the collagen)...I typically only have the 4th packet 3 or 4 times a week right now. I also decided (after reading this board) to have a restricted every day so on days that I didn't have the oatmeal I would have a bar. I saw a difference in the scale when I did this.

My calories range from 700-990 depending on my choices for the day (but I'm typically in the mid 800s to mid 900s most days).

Last edited by nat1015; 08-18-2014 at 09:03 AM.
nat1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #50  
Started IP 4/19/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat1015 View Post
I didn't see any restricteds in your menu. Do you have them?

I would add in a restricted every day and perhaps a 4th packet.

I started off almost 300 pounds on 3 packets a day and a restricted only 3 days a week. Then I added a 4th packet about 6 weeks in (nothing heavy...just blueberry-cran granata usually for the collagen)...I typically only have the 4th packet 3 or 4 times a week right now. I also decided (after reading this board) to have a restricted every day so on days that I didn't have the oatmeal I would have a bar. I saw a difference in the scale when I did this.

My calories range from 700-990 depending on my choices for the day (but I'm typically in the mid 800s to mid 900s most days).

I was using Quest bars (I'm allergic to the soy in the IP bars) as my restricted packet, 4-5 times per week, but I stopped after two weeks with no losses. Some had reported that they have slower losses with bars, so I thought that the bars might be slowing me down.

I think I'm going to pick up some of the Raspberry Jelly packets to add as a 4th packet for this week.

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #51  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemum View Post
I was using Quest bars (I'm allergic to the soy in the IP bars) as my restricted packet, 4-5 times per week, but I stopped after two weeks with no losses. Some had reported that they have slower losses with bars, so I thought that the bars might be slowing me down.

I think I'm going to pick up some of the Raspberry Jelly packets to add as a 4th packet for this week.

Thanks for your help!
Oh, yeah...I thought Lisa mentioned that the Quest bars are one of the higher carb choices. That is a bummer that you can't have the IP bars. Do you like the Maple oatmeal? Maybe have that a couple days a week...I wouldn't want to have it every day, that would get boring. LOL

Good luck, I hope the extra packet helps!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #52  

Mainemum:

How frustrating! I don't wish stalls on anyone. Unfortunately, it really isn't a plateau for 4-6 weeks of no scale or inch losses.

First and foremost, make sure your thyroid is functioning properly. There is "average" range, determined by medical labs who measure everyone (sick and not) and then there is optimal range, which is much smaller.
For thorough info, a complete thyroid panel should be evaluated, not just TSH.

It is imperative that you make sure no imbalances are occurring & have them addressed

VLC diets can really affect metabolism & thyroid is in charge of metabolism. The biological response to less food is for the metabolism to slow. Some of us have had thyroid very impacted.

Are you exercising??? If so, this could be affecting losses as well.

Besides blood tests, I suggest a few things, most have already been suggested. We usually tend to want to tweak by removing things. Sometimes this is the opposite of what we should be trying.

1. Add your daily restricted back in (use those Quest bars! - I cut the Maple Oatmeal when I cut soy. There are only a couple QB that wouldn't fit for IP, and even those could be super-restricted [once weekly])
2. Have your occasional veggies - restricting IP further isn't usually the answer
3. Have some more fatty meat (a good steak, ground beef, chicken thighs)
4. Increase fats. Many of your doc's suggestions would take you off P1. But you can look at Dr Tran Tein's original book (linked in daily chat) and you'll see he suggested 2 TABLESPOONS/day. This is easily accomplished by increasing the olive oil in your salad dressings. Remember, it isn't the fat that makes us so fat...it is the carbs that cause metabolic (insulin) resistance.
5. If all else fails (ie, you get to 6 weeks of no losses), consider following the IP alternative plan (the one for diabetics, not just use of alternative products). The losses will be slower but they are anyway!!!

When I hit my major plateau, I was much closer to goal. I phased off & back on but it only resulted in another ~10 lb loss. That's when I transitioned to maintenance for a while, all the while keeping my goal in my sites. We WILL get there!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #53  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Oh, yeah...I thought Lisa mentioned that the Quest bars are one of the higher carb choices. That is a bummer that you can't have the IP bars. Do you like the Maple oatmeal? Maybe have that a couple days a week...I wouldn't want to have it every day, that would get boring. LOL

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly. Quest bars are actually QUITE low in carbs because of the way they are made with soluable vegetable fiber (frankly, not sure what this is besides DELICIOUS, lol). You have to make sure you subtract you fiber totals from your carb totals. For example, the IP lemon wafers (YUM) have 13g of carbs with less than 1g of fiber. They have 200 calories with 80 calories from fat (9g of fat -hmmmm....boy that makes them QUITE high in fat). Even the Quest Chocolate Chip Cookie bar looks better than that: 190 calories, 70 calories from fat (8g total), 21g carbs BUT minus 17g dietary fiber (grand total of 4 carbs!!!!). Even better choice is the Strawberry Cheesecake Bar: 160 calories total, 4.5 g fat (40 calories from fat total), 26 g carbs MINUS 17g fiber (again, 4 grams total).

Anyway.....following Ruth Ann, I will be including Quest Bars into my maintenance plan because they seem to really fill my sweet craving in a healthful way.
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #54  

Quest bars aren't "higher carb" than restricteds.
There are a handful that are higher fat than a daily restricted but could be used as a super restricted (weekly) item
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #55  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evemomma View Post
Not sure if I'm reading this correctly. Quest bars are actually QUITE low in carbs because of the way they are made with soluable vegetable fiber (frankly, not sure what this is besides DELICIOUS, lol). You have to make sure you subtract you fiber totals from your carb totals. For example, the IP lemon wafers (YUM) have 13g of carbs with less than 1g of fiber. They have 200 calories with 80 calories from fat (9g of fat -hmmmm....boy that makes them QUITE high in fat). Even the Quest Chocolate Chip Cookie bar looks better than that: 190 calories, 70 calories from fat (8g total), 21g carbs BUT minus 17g dietary fiber (grand total of 4 carbs!!!!). Even better choice is the Strawberry Cheesecake Bar: 160 calories total, 4.5 g fat (40 calories from fat total), 26 g carbs MINUS 17g fiber (again, 4 grams total).

Anyway.....following Ruth Ann, I will be including Quest Bars into my maintenance plan because they seem to really fill my sweet craving in a healthful way.
I must have mixed up something that she said in my memory. That is great to know that they are good to use as the restricted choice daily!
Old 08-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #56  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Quest bars aren't "higher carb" than restricteds.
There are a handful that are higher fat than a daily restricted but could be used as a super restricted (weekly) item
We just posted at the same time.LOL Thank you for the clarification. I definitely had that mixed up. I remember that you mentioned using some as a super restricted but it is really great that she can use some of them as a regular restricted!

Last edited by nat1015; 08-18-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 228/198/165

Height: 5'11"

Mainemum--

I just want to say #1 I'm sorry! It's SO frustrating to be putting in so much effort and seeing so little progress (sometimes I think to myself "I could stay fat without trying *nearly* so hard!!) #2 Way to go, you! for staying OP through such a tough time. Give yourself serious props for that. Really. do it #3 These ladies know what they're talking about. I have high hopes that following the advice you've received here (extra packet, upping the fat, etc.) will WORK!

All the best to you!
`sj
sarajoyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #58  
Started IP 6/25/14

S/C/G: 309/see ticker/160

Height: 5'5

mainemum, I haven't been doing this as long as many people, but I was cutting out my 4th packet for awhile cause I thought less is more! My coach reprimanded me for that saying I absolutely needed that 4th packet until I was under 200. Her reasoning was to prevent muscle loss and not stall weight loss (I had two bummer weeks). I can tell you since I added that packet back in the scale is moving.

Good luck to you!!
Literari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #59  
Started IP 4/19/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Literari View Post
mainemum, I haven't been doing this as long as many people, but I was cutting out my 4th packet for awhile cause I thought less is more! My coach reprimanded me for that saying I absolutely needed that 4th packet until I was under 200. Her reasoning was to prevent muscle loss and not stall weight loss (I had two bummer weeks). I can tell you since I added that packet back in the scale is moving.

Good luck to you!!

Thanks! I am going to add a fourth packet and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajoyus View Post
Mainemum--

I just want to say #1 I'm sorry! It's SO frustrating to be putting in so much effort and seeing so little progress (sometimes I think to myself "I could stay fat without trying *nearly* so hard!!) #2 Way to go, you! for staying OP through such a tough time. Give yourself serious props for that. Really. do it #3 These ladies know what they're talking about. I have high hopes that following the advice you've received here (extra packet, upping the fat, etc.) will WORK!

All the best to you!
`sj

Thanks for your kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Mainemum:

How frustrating! I don't wish stalls on anyone. Unfortunately, it really isn't a plateau for 4-6 weeks of no scale or inch losses.

First and foremost, make sure your thyroid is functioning properly. There is "average" range, determined by medical labs who measure everyone (sick and not) and then there is optimal range, which is much smaller.
For thorough info, a complete thyroid panel should be evaluated, not just TSH.

It is imperative that you make sure no imbalances are occurring & have them addressed

VLC diets can really affect metabolism & thyroid is in charge of metabolism. The biological response to less food is for the metabolism to slow. Some of us have had thyroid very impacted.

Are you exercising??? If so, this could be affecting losses as well.

Besides blood tests, I suggest a few things, most have already been suggested. We usually tend to want to tweak by removing things. Sometimes this is the opposite of what we should be trying.

1. Add your daily restricted back in (use those Quest bars! - I cut the Maple Oatmeal when I cut soy. There are only a couple QB that wouldn't fit for IP, and even those could be super-restricted [once weekly])
2. Have your occasional veggies - restricting IP further isn't usually the answer
3. Have some more fatty meat (a good steak, ground beef, chicken thighs)
4. Increase fats. Many of your doc's suggestions would take you off P1. But you can look at Dr Tran Tein's original book (linked in daily chat) and you'll see he suggested 2 TABLESPOONS/day. This is easily accomplished by increasing the olive oil in your salad dressings. Remember, it isn't the fat that makes us so fat...it is the carbs that cause metabolic (insulin) resistance.
5. If all else fails (ie, you get to 6 weeks of no losses), consider following the IP alternative plan (the one for diabetics, not just use of alternative products). The losses will be slower but they are anyway!!!

When I hit my major plateau, I was much closer to goal. I phased off & back on but it only resulted in another ~10 lb loss. That's when I transitioned to maintenance for a while, all the while keeping my goal in my sites. We WILL get there!

Thanks for your wisdom. I am not exercising, and I am not retaining water (my hands and ankles let me know when I am ) and I am still stuck at the same weight, or slightly higher for four weeks. So frustrating. My doctor did a complete thyroid panel, and said that I am in the optimim range. We monitor my thyroid very closely because metabolic disorders run in my family. Te only thing that was slightly off was my liver enzymes, but they were still within range. The doctor said that they were normal for someone doing a VLC diet.

I am not excited to go out of ketosis, so I don't think that I will move to the diabetic plan. Being in ketosis keeps my carb cravings under control. If I add fruit, dairy, and a grain product I will have to fight to control my carb portion sizes. That is a battle that I never win, haha!

For now, I am going to add another packet, and increase my oil, and see how it goes. In two weeks, I will have to reassess.

Quote:

Old 04-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 243

Height: 5,3

Hey Joyce I started the program on ideal protein I need help in moring I eat 2 eggs or 1 and shake for lunch salad then chilli when I get home I just lose it fried chicken no veggies its hard I started out at 249 now 243.5 my goal is 160 but when do I start losing fat
buttercups is offline   Reply With Quote