Phase 3 Breakfast Ideas

You're on Page 22 of 25
Go to
  • Quote: Do you have to add bread back? I'm a little afraid to add it back....
    sstrange: make yourself some hash brown potatoes, or make up a pancake or two, or have some oatmeal - it doesn't have to be toast. I like a poached/or easy over egg on top of beans with salsa. Beans will get you some starch.

Liana
  • Starting Phase 3 on Monday while I am on vacation for a few weeks. I want to be ready with a plan, so thank you for all of these great suggestions. I figure I will rotate breakfasts every few days, keeping it simple!
  • I am starting P3 on Thursday....yippee! These recipes look AMAZING! I have read each and every page and tried to take notes, and I STILL feel overwhelmed at getting everything to fit. I need to look at this as a logic puzzle....I like those.

Also bumping as I know a few more of my IP peeps are going to be phasing off soon with me! The sensible (and safe and maybe lazy) part of me wants to start off with a really simple breakfast of greek yogurt, Kashi cereal, fruit and eggs. The HUNGRY part of me is tempted to start my P3 off with a bang with one of Liz's amazing recipes (maybe the peach bread pudding?).

We'll see who wins this one!
  • Thanks for bumping even though I will soon be starting phase 2 not 3. It's a lot of reading/information so I'm taking the time to read and wrap my head around it all.
  • Eve, I chose to start Phase 3 on a weekend and my stomach def. needed some time to adjust (bathroom) to the new foods.
  • Quote: I am starting P3 on Thursday....yippee! These recipes look AMAZING! I have read each and every page and tried to take notes, and I STILL feel overwhelmed at getting everything to fit. I need to look at this as a logic puzzle....I like those.

Also bumping as I know a few more of my IP peeps are going to be phasing off soon with me! The sensible (and safe and maybe lazy) part of me wants to start off with a really simple breakfast of greek yogurt, Kashi cereal, fruit and eggs. The HUNGRY part of me is tempted to start my P3 off with a bang with one of Liz's amazing recipes (maybe the peach bread pudding?).

We'll see who wins this one!
    I was given an excel worksheet from someone on here quite some time ago. It lays everything out in columns and calculates totals as you add foods. I made done modifications and sample menus and a page to enter all my different food products and nutrition info so I can cut and paste to build breakfasts.

I am happy to share. Email me at jlus at aol.com
  • Thanks ladies!

Slipfree, lol! Before IP, I had a VERY sensitive stomach, so I will now be searching out the culprit(s). Luckily, I work afternoons/evenings, so I have a little time on my side with breakfast early in the AM before sending my son off to shool!

JLUS, I think I downloaded the excel spreadsheet that I think you may be referring to. My admission is that I don't know much about excel (just a pen/paper mental health therapist here with basic computer skills)! I got confused in adding in my own things because it seems failry arduous.

My hubby is a computer wiz, so I thought I would put him to the task to help me this weekend. If you have any other advice or if your files are different, let me know!
  • I'm in the final stretch before phase 2 but want lots of time to plan. I even had my clinic change my videos once I was on "the best of phase 1" playlist and i am glad I did as I am learning ahead of the curve this time. In phase1 I was always wishing I had seen the message sooner.

This thread is great. I'm stuck in three days of meetings where I only listen so I brought my iPad and reading through the threads for phase 3/4. Has anyone figured out if there are take out breakfast options? I know Tim Hortons in canada has a breakfast wrap on a whole wheat tortilla with a strip of bacon and a sprinkle of cheese. They also have egg white but they don't carry the WW English muffin anymore. McDonalds just introduced a WW egg mcmufffin (skipping the process cheese, of course). I need to run the numbers. I'm in canada so our menus might be different.
  • ChipNDip: A&W has eggs, bacon and toast - just bring your own piece of fruit and a yogurt cup if you wish. I ate that a couple times - bringing my own GF bread from home while DH had the breakfast sandwich. Our A&W has very good coffee too.

Liana
  • Quote: Thanks ladies!

Slipfree, lol! Before IP, I had a VERY sensitive stomach, so I will now be searching out the culprit(s). Luckily, I work afternoons/evenings, so I have a little time on my side with breakfast early in the AM before sending my son off to shool!

JLUS, I think I downloaded the excel spreadsheet that I think you may be referring to. My admission is that I don't know much about excel (just a pen/paper mental health therapist here with basic computer skills)! I got confused in adding in my own things because it seems failry arduous.

My hubby is a computer wiz, so I thought I would put him to the task to help me this weekend. If you have any other advice or if your files are different, let me know!
    I would be happy to email mine to you... I modified it and added kits of instructions. I do not think the one you may have is the same. If your hubby is going to assist he might like this one.
  • Re-posting from Daily Chat with a more info on actual menus:

So I had an epiphany last night after getting NO GUIDANCE from my coach on P# breakfast ideas. I was thinking (and still do) that Ideal Protein should make an APP that you could easily manipulate to make breakfast meals. But I am a very tactile person and like to be able to reach out and move things around when I am creating/learning/planning. SO....I decided to use notecards to help me plan my breakfast menus. It worked REALLY well, so I thought I would share it here (and I'll share it on the P3 breakfast thread since that is a more long-term thread).

I used a sharpie marker and labeled cards into separate groups: Protein, Grains, Fruit, Dairy, Fat/Other (butter, WF syrup, etc, splenda, etc). Then I listed the specific food on the card with the applicable nutrition information:

Protein
    1 Medium egg = 60 calories
    4 g fat
    6g protein

I used MyFitnessPal or my food labeling packages to get my info. Once I had several foods in each category, I just starting building meals according to what sounded good (like French Toast) and filled accordingly. I found I could use my non-fat Greek yogurt or extra egg whites when my meals were getting too high in fat. It was fun once I got the hang of it!

Once I had a meal that I thought looked good, I took a pic of the cards on my phone and typed out a text label (using a photo app) to quickly describe them so I didn't have to read each little card (Like Peanut Butter Toast and Strawberry/Cottage Cheese or Breakfast Burrito, Banana and Cereal/Milk). You could just have a type list also, but this worked for me!

So, here was my first Phase 3 breakfast:

2 Fit & Active (Aldi) Whole-Grain Waffles
    1 tsp Butter
    1/4 cup Safeway Breakfast Syrup (made Splenda)
    4 oz. Friendly Farms No Fat Greek Yogurt (added vanilla and a little splenda to make dip for....)
    1 cup Green Seedless Grapes
    3 slice of Oscar Meyer Fully Cooked Bacon

= 422 calories, 45g carbs, 13g fat, 25g protein
    (I would normally use WF syrup....but darn it we were out!)

I'll post a few more of my menu ideas....those with experience, please let me know if something looks "off" with my numbers!
  • OK:

Breakfast Sandwich, Strawberries & Milk

2 slice Healthy Life Whole Grain Bread (80 cal, 11 net carbs, 5g protein)
    1 med egg + 2 liquid egg whites (110 cal, 4g fat, 11g protein)
    1 slice Mild Cheddar Aldi Happy Farms (80 cal, 7g fat, 5g protein)
    2 slices OM fully cooked Bacon (53.2 cal, 4g fat, 4.6g protein)
    1 cup fresh whole strawberries (50 cal, 9g carbs, 1g protein)
    1/2 cup skim milk (45 cal, 13g carbs, 8g protein)

= 418.2 calories, 15g fat, 33 carbs, 34.6 protein (maybe a little high in fat, could cut my cheese in half)

Breakfast Burrito, Banana in Cereal and Milk -

1 slice Fit&Active 100% Whole Grain Flatbread (100 cal, 2.5g fat, 9 carb, 9g protein)
    3 slices Oscar M Fully Cooked Bacon (80 cal, 6g fat, 7g protein)
    1 slice Happy Farms Mild Cheddar (80 cal, 76 fat, 5g protein)
    2 Fit&Active egg whites (50 cal, 10g protein)
    1/2 cup Skim Milk (45 cal, 13g carb, 8g protein)
    1 cup Millville Multi-Grain Oats (like Multi-Grain Cheerios) - (110 cal, 1g fat, 19 carb, 2 g protein)
    1/2 Banana (52 cal, 13.5 carb, .6 protein)
    = 517 calories, 14.5 g fat, 35.5 carb, 34.6 protein
    ...calories and fat a little high, might cut the cheese in half for an easy adjustment

OK, typing these out takes a lot of time! Need to clean my house before the nanny get here!!!!!
  • Quote: ChipNDip: A&W has eggs, bacon and toast - just bring your own piece of fruit and a yogurt cup if you wish. I ate that a couple times - bringing my own GF bread from home while DH had the breakfast sandwich. Our A&W has very good coffee too.

Liana
    How about a White Spot breakfast sandwich?.. Oh how I miss those! If my DH gets transferred back to BC I'll have some fun day meals already planned out. No white spot or red robin here in Ontario.

Evemomma - what a great idea with the cards. So much easier to mix and match. You are rockin it old school.
  • Quote: OK:

Breakfast Sandwich, Strawberries & Milk

2 slice Healthy Life Whole Grain Bread (80 cal, 11 net carbs, 5g protein)
    1 med egg + 2 liquid egg whites (110 cal, 4g fat, 11g protein)
    1 slice Mild Cheddar Aldi Happy Farms (80 cal, 7g fat, 5g protein)
    2 slices OM fully cooked Bacon (53.2 cal, 4g fat, 4.6g protein)
    1 cup fresh whole strawberries (50 cal, 9g carbs, 1g protein)
    1/2 cup skim milk (45 cal, 13g carbs, 8g protein)

= 418.2 calories, 15g fat, 33 carbs, 34.6 protein (maybe a little high in fat, could cut my cheese in half)

Breakfast Burrito, Banana in Cereal and Milk -

1 slice Fit&Active 100% Whole Grain Flatbread (100 cal, 2.5g fat, 9 carb, 9g protein)
    3 slices Oscar M Fully Cooked Bacon (80 cal, 6g fat, 7g protein)
    1 slice Happy Farms Mild Cheddar (80 cal, 76 fat, 5g protein)
    2 Fit&Active egg whites (50 cal, 10g protein)
    1/2 cup Skim Milk (45 cal, 13g carb, 8g protein)
    1 cup Millville Multi-Grain Oats (like Multi-Grain Cheerios) - (110 cal, 1g fat, 19 carb, 2 g protein)
    1/2 Banana (52 cal, 13.5 carb, .6 protein)
    = 517 calories, 14.5 g fat, 35.5 carb, 34.6 protein
    ...calories and fat a little high, might cut the cheese in half for an easy adjustment

OK, typing these out takes a lot of time! Need to clean my house before the nanny get here!!!!!
    Evemomma: I did P3 a little differently - I added in grain one week, fruit the next and dairy the next but I looked at the P3 sheet and I think:

The sheet calls for one fat, one carb and one protein - looks like you may be exceeding that (i.e. toast and cereal for example). There was an explanation sheet at one time but I don't see it in the stickies any more and I don't have it here at work (I think I saved it to my home computer). I'll look tonight.

Not sure how much protein you're aiming for, but it looks like you may be a little high.

During the week I generally stick to what I ended up with in P3 for breakfast (because I'm boring) which generally ends up being full fat greek yogurt, fruit, cereal or toast & peanut butter, and a hard boiled egg. I try to stick to 400-500 calories (depending on what your calorie goal ends up that may or may not work for you) and I try to get around 20 gr of protein for breakfast.

Hope this helps and I'm sure others will chime in.
  • Quote: Evemomma: I did P3 a little differently - I added in grain one week, fruit the next and dairy the next but I looked at the P3 sheet and I think:

The sheet calls for one fat, one carb and one protein - looks like you may be exceeding that (i.e. toast and cereal for example). There was an explanation sheet at one time but I don't see it in the stickies any more and I don't have it here at work (I think I saved it to my home computer). I'll look tonight.

Not sure how much protein you're aiming for, but it looks like you may be a little high.

During the week I generally stick to what I ended up with in P3 for breakfast (because I'm boring) which generally ends up being full fat greek yogurt, fruit, cereal or toast & peanut butter, and a hard boiled egg. I try to stick to 400-500 calories (depending on what your calorie goal ends up that may or may not work for you) and I try to get around 20 gr of protein for breakfast.

Hope this helps and I'm sure others will chime in.
    Thanks Ruth Ann!

I was working with the idea that a grain should contain no more than 30g of carbs. My waffles were 22g for two. I also read that my fruit should not exceed 20g of carbs, and that I should have no more than 50g of carbs altogether. Additionally, I should be staying under 15g of fat total, my dairy should be less than 120 calories total, protein 25g +, AND between 400-500 calories. So I was combining food to make the totals match up. So, maybe I am misinterpreting this?

How did you get your calorie totals up if eating less food?

No advice from my coach was NOT helpful!