Old 03-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #16  

S/C/G: Sz 16-18/Sz 12 (tight)/Sz 8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingItOff View Post
I have started the program and am on day 3. I didn't see a thread for the alternative plan so I wanted to make one where anyone else doing it can come and chat. I'm on it for health reasons. I am borderline diabetic and am a middle aged woman going through changes with my cycle, I haven't reached menopause yet but would love to get there real soon!
I used the Alternative Plan Phase the first time I did IP and I lost about 10lbs a month (67 total), so I guess it is a bit slower. Sometimes I would add the three groups each day but most of the time I would do a serving of dairy and an extra bar. I have PCOS (insulin resistance) and my blood sugar drops easily. You really just have to monitor how you feel and adjust your food intake, reaching for things that are low carb and higher in protein. I find the sticks that test your urine to see if you are in ketosis really helpful.
Kreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 201.8/180.8/140

Height: 5'6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreading View Post
I used the Alternative Plan Phase the first time I did IP and I lost about 10lbs a month (67 total), so I guess it is a bit slower. Sometimes I would add the three groups each day but most of the time I would do a serving of dairy and an extra bar. I have PCOS (insulin resistance) and my blood sugar drops easily. You really just have to monitor how you feel and adjust your food intake, reaching for things that are low carb and higher in protein. I find the sticks that test your urine to see if you are in ketosis really helpful.
I'll have to get some of those sticks. I think Walgreens has them. I don't usually do all the food on the alternative plan. I usually have fruit in the morning but not the full allowance. If I feel weak or dizzy, because I have mennorhagia, then I'll eat 2 pcs of toast but yesterday I ate none and sometimes just 1 slice, depending. I used the dairy for plain yogurt as I was having digestive problems and bad yeast. I used cheese at first too for the salad, but I've cut back a lot and only do one snack now. I just finished week one and lost 8 pounds, but, it was day 1 of my cycle shortly after I started day 1. thanks for your post. And I agree, it's best to play it by ear and how you feel.
GettingItOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #18  

S/C/G: Sz 16-18/Sz 12 (tight)/Sz 8-10

Quote:
I'll have to get some of those sticks. I think Walgreens has them. I don't usually do all the food on the alternative plan. I usually have fruit in the morning but not the full allowance. If I feel weak or dizzy, because I have mennorhagia, then I'll eat 2 pcs of toast but yesterday I ate none and sometimes just 1 slice, depending. I used the dairy for plain yogurt as I was having digestive problems and bad yeast. I used cheese at first too for the salad, but I've cut back a lot and only do one snack now. I just finished week one and lost 8 pounds, but, it was day 1 of my cycle shortly after I started day 1. thanks for your post. And I agree, it's best to play it by ear and how you feel.

WOW 8 lbs! That is amazing

Today my blood sugar was super low (almost passing out level) so I had a Wasa cracker and a slice of swiss around 2pm. It helped me get to dinner time. I still have a few hours before bed so I may even have to have another IP shake.

I also have trouble on Sundays...too much time on my hands. I love being at work and my days goes so quickly. I have less time to think about the things that I can't have.
Kreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreading View Post
WOW 8 lbs! That is amazing

Today my blood sugar was super low (almost passing out level) so I had a Wasa cracker and a slice of swiss around 2pm. It helped me get to dinner time. I still have a few hours before bed so I may even have to have another IP shake.

I also have trouble on Sundays...too much time on my hands. I love being at work and my days goes so quickly. I have less time to think about the things that I can't have.
I have struggled with low blood sugar too. Are you eating a piece of fruit with breakfast? It sure helps me. Although I was sick again after eating the yucky soup with the collard and mustard greens. I was so tired of all the bloating and getting sick after lunch that I messed up today. I'll get back on track tomorrow. I just wanted it to stop so I took some Kaopectate. Tomorrow is a new day. Hopefully I'll keep what I lost off. I'll have to get some strips to make sure I'm in Ketosis. I know what you mean about Sundays. There's so much I should have done today and didn't. I made it to church and did some stuff but slacked off all afternoon. I was tired after getting sick from the lunch again. i may just have to try different veggies.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #20  
started IP: Jan 24th 2011

S/C/G: 195/173/125

Height: 5'2"

That's great GettingItOff!
Keep it up!!!
Make sure you drink plenty of water, especially if you are still dealing with D.
Ginger Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #21  

Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lily View Post
That's great GettingItOff!
Keep it up!!!
Make sure you drink plenty of water, especially if you are still dealing with D.
Thanks Ginger Lily. I like your name! I'm borderline D, my A1c was at 6 and my fasting blood sugar is usually pretty high. I love sweets!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 221/198/140

Height: 5'2"

Where can I get a copy of the plan?? I can't find the copy my doctors office gave me and I no longer go there since I have moved. I don't know how to use the sticky's. Thanks
prettygirlusaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #23  

As Ideal Protein Newbie told you in another thread, go to the Ideal Protein main page and the stickies are above all of the other topics. The plan is in the stickies.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #24  

Height: 5'8"

Default I too am on the Alternate Protocol Plan

Yay, another person on the the Alternate Plan. I love this. I am able to actually have fruit. My favorite thing to do is take a cold vanilla IP premade drink, add 2 packs of Stevia, and 200g strawberries. Blend it and voila - a strawberry shake (and I put in miralax to boot!)
slwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 292/278.9/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Hi everyone! Is the alternative plan still wprking for you? I'm thinking about switching because I want to start working again without feeling like crap (today). It would be nice if we could exchange about it :-)
Cath138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cath138 View Post
Hi everyone! Is the alternative plan still wprking for you? I'm thinking about switching because I want to start working again without feeling like crap (today). It would be nice if we could exchange about it :-)
It doesn't look like you have been on the standard IP very long? (How long??) It is not unusual to go through a week or two where you don't feel your best as your body gets into Ketosis (which keeps hunger at bay) and your body figures out how to operate on the new fueling system.

Have you been 100% for however long you have been on IP? Maybe post your menus and ask questions that may help us guide you. There may be a few simple tweaks that would get you feeling great quickly!

The Alternative plan definitely can help people, but the losses are definitely slower.

I just wonder if there is a way for you to follow IP and get to the energy level you want (not feeling like "crap"!), also meaning you can and maintain nice sized losses which are VERY MOTIVATING!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #27  
Started IP on 3/1/2014

S/C/G: 237.5/207.5/140

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
I actually lost 8 pounds on the alternative plan for week one, so I'm excited about that. I'll take it!
I am also trying the IP Alternative plan (after being on the regular IP plan for a month & a half with no increase in energy), and I feel so much better! Maybe what you're eating is causing you discomfort... what is your daily menu like? Or maybe your body is just adjusting to your new lifestyle of eating healthier foods.

I take a probiotic every day, which REALLY helps with gas & bloating. Probiotics have different results for different people, but the one I'm taking now (Schiff Digestive Advantage) is the best one I've tried! You might want to give Probiotics a try.

Lots of luck to you & I hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by karkrazy13; 04-29-2014 at 12:24 PM.
karkrazy13 is offline   Reply With Quote